Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wit Beyond Measure by Samsijay

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Julia woke up early on Hallowe’en. The sun was shining in through the window. It looked like a perfect fall day. A gentle breeze was blowing leaves across the grounds, and not a cloud was in sight.

She threw her pillow at Grace. –Wake up,” she said. Grace moaned and rolled over. Julia sighed. –It’s morning,” she said, but everyone was fast asleep. She started moving stuff around in her wardrobe. She could wear Muggle clothes today. Jeans, maybe, and her striped Ravenclaw sweater . . .

–You can’t wear that,” said Willa. Julia jumped.

–I thought you were sleeping. Besides, it doesn’t matter what I wear because . . .”

–It’s ‘not a date’. Fine. Have it your way,” Willa rolled her eyes. –Rise and shine, everyone!

Soon, it was time to go. Chelsea had stayed back - –I have stuff to do, is all,” - but Julia, Willa and Grace left together. It was great, just getting a change of scenery. The village was bustling with people, and the little shops were colourful and inviting. –Let’s go to Honeydukes,” said Grace eagerly. –Right now.”

–Right! We should,” said Julia. –I promised Mason I’d bring him some sweets.”

They did quite a bit of shopping, and by lunchtime, they had already been almost everywhere. –I guess I should go to the Three Broomsticks now,” said Julia half-heartedly. –See if they’re actually there . . .”

Sure enough, when she stepped into the Three Broomsticks, there was nary a redhead in sight. She ordered a Butterbeer and some lunch anyway, and sat down alone.

–Ah! Told you she’d be here!” said one of the twins, coming up from behind and sitting down at Julia’s table. The other twin followed, digging out money like he’d lost a bet.

–So, what’s the lesson?” Julia asked as the boys ordered their own Butterbeers.

–Talking. Without sounding like a prefect,” said one of them.

–He’s Fred,” said George. –In case you were wondering.”

–Thanks, that helps . . .”

–So, I heard you whining about Care of Magical Creatures,” George continued.

–It’s just dull now, is all. I think magical creatures are fascinating, and I wish we would study something more interesting . . .”

–You don’t want interesting, not with Hagrid,” Fred snorted. –Unless, of course, you like terrifying things.”

–They’re not so bad, though, monsters,” said George. –Just not something girls are usually into.”

Julia laughed. –You two would know, wouldn’t you? I suppose you were stocking up on more joke stuff at Zonko’s . . .”

They gave her identical stern looks. She sighed.

–But I’m not being prefecty, so I won’t call you out on it. Better?”

–Excellent,” said Fred.

George reached into Julia’s Honeydukes bag. –Can I have this frog? Thanks.”

They sat for a while, and Julia was surprised at how easy it actually was to have a conversation with them. Eventually, though, the topic came around to Harry Potter.

–I just think it was nicer before he came,” she said.

–He’s a good kid,” said Fred. –It’s not like he asks for mad stuff to come after him.”

–Cracking Quidditch player too,” added George. –I don’t suppose you play?”

Julia ignored him. –I’m not saying there’s anything wrong, but nothing bad happened the first two years . . .”

–Third year wasn’t bad,” said Fred.

–And where would you be if he hadn’t gotten rid of that basilisk, huh?” asked George, getting annoyed.

–He saved our little sister,” Fred added.

–I’m not saying he’s not a hero!” Julia protested. –It’s just strange, isn’t it?”

A few other Gryffindors walked in.

–That’ll be Angelina and Alicia,” said Fred. –Lee too, by the looks of it.”

–Right,” said George. –See you, Julia,” he added as the two got up, but he didn’t sound very enthusiastic. Then they went off to see their friends, leaving her alone again.

- -

After dinner, Julia was still fuming, although the food and ghostly entertainment had cheered her up a little bit.

–Something must have happened,” said Willa. –Come on, Julia. Tell me!”

–We just talked. And then they left, just because they can’t take hearing other people’s opinions . . .”

–Well, you might have been a little mean about Harry,” said Grace cautiously.

–Don’t you take their side! Willa was right the first time around. Those two are nothing but trouble.”

–So, Chelsea, did you do that ‘stuff’?” asked Willa, hurriedly changing the subject.

Chelsea blinked. –What?”

–That stuff that you stayed back from Hogsmeade, the greatest place we can get to while in school, for,” Willa prompted.

–Oh, that. Umm, yeah,” Chelsea mumbled.

–Maybe Chelsea has a secret boyfriend,” said Grace slyly.

–No!” Chelsea protested.

–Can you prove it? Do you have an alibi?” said Willa dramatically.

–No, but that doesn’t . . .”

Julia tuned them out and tried to think about the candy she’d bought, and what Mason might like. He’d really liked the Tooth-Flossing Stringmints she’d brought home last year, and the Peppermint Toads. She’d give him those, and keep some Pepper Imps for herself.

They had just reached the common room entrance when Professor Flitwick came out of the door, most of the house crowded behind him. –Downstairs again, girls, back to the hall . . . no questions just now, head downstairs . . .”

So, extremely confused, they moved down with the crowd. Julia found Mason, who had his chimpanzee clinging to his hair.

–I don’t know what’s going on,” he said before she could even ask. Then, conspiratorially, he added, –Sam thinks maybe the ghosts ate someone.”

–That’s ridiculous! Ghosts don’t eat people!” Another idea occurred to her, but she didn’t voice it - had the dementors got someone?

–Then why’s Sam afraid of them, huh? He’s not even afraid of snakes. He says he would have finished the basilisk off right away if he’d been here last year . . .”

–That’s a load of rubbish, Mason. You know that. It was just good luck that those kids killed it in the end.”

–Nuh-uh. It was Harry Potter who did it. He’s like, a wizard superhero.”

–Hardly. Just a very lucky kid . . .”

Finally they reached the Great Hall, where the rest of the school was waiting. Flitwick moved at once to help close the doors, while Dumbledore spoke. However, he didn’t explain, just said they were searching the castle, that they all had to sleep in the hall, that the prefects should guard the doors . . . and then all the teachers were gone. Julia moved towards one of the doors, but stopped. She had to see what was going on first.

She spotted one of the twins, forgetting she was mad at them, and ran up to him. –What . . .”

–Someone attacked the . . . the entrance to our common room. They’re saying it was Sirius Black . . .”

–But how’d he get in?”

–No one knows.”

Julia nodded. She’d noticed as he was talking that one of his teeth was a bit crooked. –Which one are you? Which twin, I mean.”

He cracked a smile. –George. Now go guard the door. We’re all depending on you to keep us safe and sound . . . you’d better keep that Connor kid awake.” Percy started shouting, and George grinned wider. –Well, go on, or bighead boy over there will be after you next.”

Julia nodded, smiling, and headed over to one of the smaller doors, near Connor. So now she could tell the twins apart, if she looked close enough. More important, though, was the question everyone was still whispering about despite Percy’s efforts. How had that criminal, Sirius Black, gotten in, past all the dementors, past the school enchantments? And, a question far less people were asking, why? Why would he risk his freedom just to sneak into a school, then not even do anything but attack something around Gryffindor tower - a portrait, probably, since attacking a door seemed odd.

–What . . . what do you think happened, Julia?” said Connor, the starlight from the ceiling mostly hiding his blush.

She shrugged, still preoccupied. –I don’t know. Maybe he knows some spells that helped him get around the security. Anti-dementor stuff - patrona-whatsits or whatever. Everyone was in here when he came in, probably, so no one would have seen him.”

Connor nodded but didn’t say anything else. The ghosts floated around, discussing the various theories people had. Even the Grey Lady was there, but she just looked, giving Julia a long stare as if she was trying to help her think. Some of the prefects started to look sleepy as the night wore on, but Julia was wide awake, her mind buzzing. It had been a very long day, and it seemed that maybe it would never end at all, that maybe they would just remain here forever, all together in the Hall under the stars.