Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Introductions by MetamorphmagusLupin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hello everyone! With any luck, these chapters should be coming pretty quickly due to the fact that they are all completely written and (mostly) edited and ready to go. I hope you enjoy this chapter!
Chapter 2: A Tendency to Chivalry

It was a warm night in early August and, as had been customary for the past five years, Severus Snape was sitting in a Muggle pub off Gloucester Road in London. He’d been coming here at the request of the Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry around this time nearly every year since his self-imposed exile from the wizarding world. He also knew exactly what she was going to ask him the second he had received the owl asking him to meet her here. It was rather later than their usual meeting time, the pub would be closing in just a little over an hour and Severus had waited nearly that long already. He wondered what could be holding Minerva up.

The portly pub keeper kept eyeing this most unusual of customers with a suspicious glare. Though Severus had left his full black ensemble and billowing cloak behind when he’d chosen this Muggle lifestyle, he still seemed out of place in the black trousers, gray linen shirts, and tailored black vests he had taken to wearing in public. It was as if some people knew there was something different about him. It was true that most Muggle men of his age rarely sported hair as long as his, but he was hardly going to change it because it wasn’t in style. Wizards didn’t fuss with such things as fads in fashion.

Severus glared right back at the man who eventually looked away to go back to his sweeping.

–Cranberry juice?” asked a dismayed voice behind him. Severus hadn’t even noticed Minerva enter as his back was to the door.

–Headmistress.” He craned his neck around to address her.

Minerva McGonagall was wearing a smart-looking business jacket and skirt and her hair remained pulled back in her familiar tight bun. She could have passed for the headmistress of any of the Muggle private schools in London instead of the headmistress of a school of magic. Though she was of an older generation that seemed to balk at such contemporary attire, Severus was always intrigued by her ability to transition easily between the magical and Muggle worlds. Dumbledore had never seemed to care that Muggles thought him mad in his flowing, brightly-colored robes and sporting his distinctive long hair and beard.

–Is there a problem with my choice of drink?” he asked, sarcastically bemused.

–Of course not,” said Minerva as she walked around the table and took the seat opposite him. –But I can’t say as though I ever took you as one to sip fruit juice in a pub.”

–I see,” he remarked. –I merely prefer to drink with others in public. I’ll keep the solitary sips to the privacy of my own home. But, now that you have finally arrived--” Severus stood and strode to the counter returning a moment later with two glasses of scotch on the rocks. –I think you’ll find this more suitable.”

He set one glass before Minerva and took his seat opposite her again. Severus took two small gulps of the amber liquid, before turning his attention back to his former colleague. Minerva took a sip of her drink and nodded once. She set her glass down on the table and settled into her chair.

–Well, Severus, it’s been a while since we last spoke--”

Severus raised one eyebrow. –Yes, nearly six weeks. Quite an amount of time.”

Minerva chose to ignore his mockery. After having him as a student and working alongside him as a professor, she’d grown accustomed to his snide remarks.

–I was wondering,” she began, –whether you had put any more thought into my offer to return to Hogwarts? There are two positions of which you are more than suited and--”

Severus raised a hand to stop the barrage. –You know very well I will not come back to teach at that infernal school. I rather think I’ve had my fill of dunderheaded, ungrateful children to last me two lifetimes.”

Minerva sighed heavily, resigning rather easily, in his opinion. –Yes. I can’t say as though I expected you to agree, but I thought I’d try nonetheless.” She looked down at the table having seen the resolve on the face of the man before her. –I recently rehired Remus, you know,” she stated, then glanced up through her eyelashes to gauge her old colleague’s reaction.

–Lupin,” Severus spat the name. –What a selling point.”

He folded his arms across his chest and stared off toward the bar counter. –Offered to take up his old Defense post, I presume?” he asked.

–No, actually. Transfiguration.”

Severus’s eyes darted to the Headmistress. He looked at her perplexed. Minerva shifted in her seat and began to play with the small pool of water that had formed from the condensation of her glass.

–Don’t look so surprised, Severus. Surely, you didn’t believe I could continue to teach a full schedule of classes in addition to my duties as Headmistress? Goodness, even Albus passed his teaching position on to me the second he took the Headmaster post. I doubt it would have occurred to him to do double duty for one year, much less five.” She folded her hands over one another. –The fact is that I’m an old woman. It will be easier with just one set of responsibilities.”

Severus smirked slightly, nodding his head in concession. Yes, she had to be getting up there, but the truth was that Minerva McGonagall had hardly seemed to change to him since the first time he had walked into her classroom as an awkward, yet eager first year nearly thirty-five years ago.

–I have no doubt the caliber of students will decline without your tutelage,” he said, inclining his head and raising his glass to her before taking another sip.

–You’re kind. However, in all my years, Remus was one of my best Transfiguration students. I have no doubt he will produce some fine scholars in the subject.” She grinned at him over her square spectacles. –He was better than you, even.”

Severus scoffed. –Sorry I was unable to live up to your expectations.”

–Oh, don’t be ridiculous. You were a brilliant pupil, despite your habit of daydreaming in my class.” She smiled kindly as he arched an eyebrow at her. –Are you sure you won’t reconsider, Severus? You would be entitled to a raise, of course, and--”

–I have my reasons not to return.” He cut her off. He knew there was more to this than his return to Hogwarts.

Minerva sat back in her chair and regarded her old coworker carefully. –It’s been five years, Severus. The media storm surrounding the war died off quite some time ago. I understand you don’t desire to teach, though I would be thrilled if you would. I have contacts at St. Mungo’s, you know. They’re always looking for excellent potioneers and there’s plenty of money in it.” She suddenly recognized the complacent look of annoyance on the man’s face. –Surely you want to reenter the magical world?”

Severus took a long drink from his glass before answering. –I don’t doubt that a time will come when I will, but that is not now.”

Minerva regarded the former Potions Master critically. The media had been a circus in the year following the Second War. Many of the stories had centered on the key players of the Dark Lord’s downfall, including Severus and herself in addition to Harry Potter and his friends, and Albus. She understood he had a need for solitude as well. But why choose to live away from everything you’ve ever known for so long? She knew, of course, that he hadn’t stopped doing magic just because he lived away from wizards, but it seemed strange to her that this man would be so content to work in a Muggle profession, converse nearly exclusively outside the magical community and, essentially, live like a Muggle. It seemed drastically out of character. Yet, she remembered a time when she would have liked nothing more in the world than to go somewhere where nobody knew who she was or what she did for a living. She knew there would be no swaying him, not until he was ready anyway.

–I see it’s a lost cause.” She stated decisively. Minerva sat back comfortably in her chair and took another sip from her glass. –Have you heard any recent news?”

Severus raised his eyebrows in curiosity, signaling her to proceed.

At Severus’s motion to continue, Minerva lit up with excitement. –I’ve actually just come from there, you see. From seeing them in hospital, that is. It’s why I was late, of course. I am sorry about that.”

–Whatever are you going on about?” Severus asked tersely. He hated it when people rambled on incoherently and wouldn’t get to the bloody point.

–Ginny Weasley, of course.”

–Of course,” stated Severus cynically, as if their former pupil was the only subject matter in the world to talk about.

–She just gave birth to a very handsome baby boy yesterday,” Minerva continued. –Did you read about it, perhaps?”

–Hmm,” Severus acknowledged. –I do still receive the Prophet, Minerva. It was a surprisingly small article considering how much Potter loves his spotlight. I’m actually rather curious as to which dominant features won out in that offspring, the red hair or the enormous head.”

–Don’t be so infantile, Severus. You should be happy for them. James is one of the first children born to war hero parents in this new era of peace. With any luck, he will grow up in a wizarding world with little to no prejudice toward Muggles or magical creatures, without fear of oppression or any of that ridiculous blood purity nonsense. He is the generation of hope.”

Severus hadn’t really listened to the last half of her statement at all. He was more affronted by the name he’d heard.

–James?” He spat. –They’ve named the child James?” At Minerva’s small nod, Severus looked away, disgusted. –Just what the world needs: another James bloody Potter.”

–Actually, I believe his middle name is Sirius.” Minerva teased.

Severus pulled his glass to his lips and took a large swallow. –How touching.”

The two sat in silence for quite some time. Severus moodily finished off his drink and called for another as Minerva looked around at the few other patrons left in the pub. There was a large group of young men and women in the corner table that were making quite a bit of noise. In fact, one dark-haired woman of their bunch, it seemed, had fallen asleep with her head resting on the table. Her friends were getting quite a laugh out of the situation.

After she felt like Severus had stewed enough over the news of Harry Potter’s son’s name, Minerva began again, knowing the ruckus in the corner would suffice in covering up their impending conversation.

–There is other news, news that is being played down significantly in the Prophet. I wouldn’t even know if it weren’t for Order contacts still within the Ministry.” She said in a low voice. –Some of it isn’t being written about at all for fear that it would create dissention against the Wizengamot.”

Severus looked back at the Headmistress, intrigued.

–Apparently,” Minerva began, –there is, as was reported by my sources, ‘insubstantial evidence to the legitimacy that certain witches and wizards can be linked to Death Eater activity during the reign of the Dark wizard known as Lord Voldemort.’”

Severus placed his hands on the table, staring at Minerva with a strange ferocity she hadn’t seen in years.

–What are you saying?”

–Oh, Severus, it’s the first war all over again.”

–Are you telling me that after years of trials and tribunals, they’re setting known Death Eaters free?” Severus had leaned forward and lowered his voice to a hoarse whisper.

Minerva nodded. –Some will be released immediately, others sometime in the next few years depending on the crimes they can prove.”

Severus sneered at such a repulsive thought. –’Insubstantial evidence’, you say? Good Godric, all they have to do is lift the left sleeve of the accused and they’ll have all the evidence they need.”

Minerva sighed. –It’s rubbish, I know. But don’t forget that you yourself bear the Mark of a Death Eater, yet you were exonerated of all wrong-doing.”

Severus frowned. –There were also rather conclusive memories brought forward as evidence in my case. Perhaps you’ve forgotten?”

–Of course not, but the use of a pensieve is not a standard legal practice of the Ministry. The memories Harry Potter brought forth to clear your name were given willingly by you and him. There has never been any record of such a tactic being used in an investigation or defense before and there hasn’t been since. Without a drastic change of policy, the Wizengamot cannot just start demanding Marked Death Eaters to produce every memory from their times under Voldemort. There is no precedent for it and it would be a dramatic invasion of privacy.”

–So they’d rather take their chances with peoples’ lives?”

Minerva shrugged dejectedly and shook her head.

–What does Potter think about all of this?” Severus asked after several moments of silence.

–He’s upset--irate, really. I’m sure you can imagine. But there’s little he can do. His political sway can only take him so far when faced with the Wizengamot, which is entirely backed by the full influence of every department of the Ministry.”

Severus nodded. He was now resting his chin on his hands, staring blankly off in concentration. Whatever was the Ministry thinking? He knew more than anyone that convicted Death Eaters should pay for their crimes, including him. If it hadn’t been for Potter and his righteous need to help everyone and everything, Severus would have served time in Azkaban. Not the life sentence many of his supposed comrades in Voldemort’s inner circle were sentenced to, but certainly a few years of solitary confinement for atrocities he allowed to happen, lives he couldn’t save without blowing his cover. It was just one more bloody debt to be repaid to The-Boy-Who-Lived. Damn him.

–Severus?”

Severus looked at the woman across from him. –My apologies. Please continue.”

Minerva smiled weakly. –Daydreaming. You haven’t quite grown out of it have you?” Her expression sobered. –I was just saying that you aren’t going to like who they’ve released on these technicalities.”

He was certain he wouldn’t, but it was always good to be aware of who your enemies were. Minerva’s gaze bore right into his.

–Macnair.”

Severus nodded once. –Considering he was no more than a pawn within the Ministry, I can’t say as though I’m surprised at that. He wasn’t exactly privy to much information on either end, but I’m sure he served a vile purpose, nonetheless. Although, he may really only be guilty of crimes against magical creatures rather than witches and wizards. Though, he’s hardly earned the right to freedom, either,” Severus stated. –Who else?”

–Caldwell, Rabastan Lestrange and, in a few years, Yaxley.”

Severus’s expression went cold. He slammed his fist down on the table causing Minerva to jump and the remaining liquid in her glass to slosh onto the table. He was quiet for several moments, composing himself from his outburst.

–That man was a member of the Dark Lord’s inner circle. Do they really have no way to prove the havoc, torture, and murder he both participated in and bore witness to? And let’s not forget his involvement in the assassination of the Minster for bloody Magic. I myself have given written testimony to these events!”

Minerva shook her head. –Your testimony might as well have come from Hagrid’s brother Grawp for all the good it did. Despite your acquittal, there are many on the Wizengamot who do not trust you and, unfortunately, that bias has swayed their decision in the matter of other Death Eaters’ activities during the Second War. It also doesn’t help that many of these known Death Eaters come from ancient families and carry pure magical blood. Members of the Wizengamot believe they are dooming our society to extinction, preventing magical lineage by locking up healthy, potential procreators.”

–There are such things as ‘conjugal visits’. Surely they could arrange something from Azkaban,” Severus sneered.

The Wizengamot’s prejudice against him was information he certainly knew, but it was still maddening to think that his eyewitness accounts had practically been thrown out the window by the same governing body that acquitted him. He pinched the bridge of his nose. He could feel a headache coming on.

–And Lucius?” he asked.

–Well, he won’t be spending time in Azkaban, if that’s what you’re asking. House arrest, as I understand it and for quite some time at that. He’ll have a case worker from Magical Law Enforcement watching every step he takes for the next few years at least, but he’ll keep his wealth and assets and he’ll be allowed to do business as long as any correspondence can be made through owl or can meet with him at Malfoy Manor.”

–A slap on the wrist in other words. I imagine Lucius will take this as an opportunity to turn the family estate over to Draco.” Severus shuddered. As if Draco hadn’t been through enough, he’d now be set the odious task of restoring the Malfoy family name--what was left of it anyway.

Minerva nodded solemnly. –If it’s any consolation, I think any influence he had within the Ministry has gone sour.” She took another sip from her glass and continued. –Apparently, it was Narcissa whom saved that family. The official statement says she ‘valiantly aided the efforts of the Chosen One to bring down the Dark Lord’.”

–So I read. Potter attested to this?” Severus asked.

–He showed up in person to their trial a few weeks ago. Draco was conveyed as a scared child and not at fault--which is true--and Narcissa turned out to be a hero. In the end, she was able to negotiate a deal for her husband. If you ask me, Lucius should be counting his blessings.”

–Indeed.” Severus sighed and crossed his arms once more across his chest. He sat back leisurely, stretching his legs out in front of him. –Although, Lucius isn’t the one that troubles me.”

Minerva leaned forward. –Yaxley.”

Severus nodded.

–What do you know about him?” Minerva asked.

–In a word: he’s dangerous. He has an unhealthy mix of maliciousness, blind ambition, and stupidity and he held the likes of Bellatrix Lestrange and Fenrir Greyback in high regard. His ego allows him to come across as confident and in-control, but that’s usually far from the case. He fancied himself much higher in the Dark Lord’s favor than he really was. He often led the parties responsible for torturing Muggles and, of course, you know of his exploits within the Ministry.” Severus cocked his head to the side in contemplation. –I’m curious about his defense. Did he claim he was under the Imperius Curse?”

Minerva eyed Severus over her spectacles with a look of utmost irritation and disgust. –Don’t they all?”

–Hmm,” Severus replied. –I suspect he played his part well: bumbling and stuttering around as if confused.” Severus rolled his eyes. –Though, it’s hardly that far off.”

–Well I’m not about to commend him for his acting abilities. He deserves to be in Azkaban longer than a few years.” Minerva shook her head. –I’m honestly at a loss, Severus.”

Severus looked up at the woman before him. He, too, was disconcerted as to how to deal with this situation, but he knew she wanted someone to put her mind at ease, even if it was just for the time being.

–I don’t think you have much to worry about at present. Yaxley is far from intelligent enough to start anything in the Dark Lord’s honor or his own once he’s free. He’s likely to be no more than a thorn in the Auror Department’s side.” He took a large gulp from his glass, finishing off his drink and doing his best to try to believe the words that had just come from his own mouth. He motioned to Minerva’s empty glass. –Would you like another?”

–No, thank you. I really must be getting back to the school and begin preparation for the new term. I do still have two teachers to hire, after all.” She smiled at Severus and as she stood from her chair, so did he.

–Good luck, Headmistress. See you next August, then?”

–Cheek.” She winked at him and exited.

Severus once again took his seat and stared out the window at the passersby. Cars and buses thundered past but Severus was oblivious to the noise.

The wizarding world was rid of Voldemort, yes, but there was still work to be done even after half a decade. The announced release of known Death Eaters over the next few years was a troubling development. There was no doubt in Severus’s mind that Yaxley would have the nerve to start up a new round of hostility in this era of peace. Of most of the Dark Lord’s followers, Severus would have regarded the man as one of the most vindictive of the lot, torturing people for the fun of it. Of course, Yaxley had always gotten on well with Bellatrix on that account.

Severus couldn’t say he was heartbroken to hear of her death at the hands of Molly Weasley. The poor woman had just lost one of her sons—one of her more astute sons, at that. When Bellatrix tried to curse Molly’s only daughter, like a lioness protecting her cubs, she attacked without restraint. Bella didn’t stand a chance. Severus quirked a hint of a smile at the memory.

He was about to continue his reminiscence when he was suddenly thrust forward in his chair. His head shot down and very nearly hit the table before him. Someone had slammed into him from behind. Severus looked up just in time to see a mass of wavy, dark brown hair stumble past him, giggling ecstatically and seemingly unaware that she had just about knocked him out. The woman was alone and seemed utterly perplexed as to her surroundings. She approached the bar.

–How the hell do I get out of here?” She mumbled drunkenly to the man behind the counter.

Obviously, the man had seen this same performance before and was haughtily unsympathetic.

–The same way you came in, love.” He responded, not even looking up from the glass he was wiping dry.

Severus had seen his share of drunken people before and normally he wouldn’t think twice about not thinking twice about anyone with the audacity to get that pissed in public, but there was something odd about this woman. She was nicely dressed in a black, pullover dress and, though her hair was a bit disheveled now, there were all the indications that it had looked well put-together earlier in the night. Severus was curious as to why a woman like this would be out at night without an entourage of people to associate with, or at the very least someone to walk her home.

Deciding to do the right thing, Severus stood just as the woman stumbled out the door. He quickly paid his tab and exited.

By the time he’d made it outside, the dark-haired woman was nowhere in sight. Severus hastened his pace and started to look up and down the street. What kind of human being walked so fast while intoxicated? It hadn’t taken that long for him to pay; surely, the woman had not gone far.

There were few people out, yet he couldn’t find her walking in either direction on the sidewalk outside the pub. Severus was about to give up and Disapparate home when a car alarm suddenly began to wail from across the road. He looked up to see the woman pushing herself away from the back end of the car where she had obviously just bumped into it. From a distance, Severus could tell that the heels she was wearing were not agreeing with her staggering gait. He doubted she would be able to make it home without assistance and made an unconscious decision to make sure she would be okay. He waited for a lorry to pass then quickly crossed the street, discretely pulling out his wand and nonverbally silencing the car alarm.

Once in proximity, he approached the woman apprehensively. He didn’t want to startle her by making his presence known too quickly. It didn’t take much for her to notice him, however, for just as he was about to speak, the woman once again stumbled. Her arms flailed about inelegantly and Severus found himself lunging slightly forward in order to catch her. He stood stalk still for a moment as the woman clutched at his shirt trying to right her feet in such a way that she could stand unaided.

When she’d finally resumed some semblance of her balance, she gaped up at the man who had caught her, bewildered. She seemed to realize he was a stranger, however, and quickly released her hold on his shirt and--of all things--she began to laugh.

–I’m so sorry.” She stepped back and set a hand on a nearby post box to steady herself then looked down at her feet. One of her heeled sandals was clearly broken. –Damn. Cost me a bloody fortune, these did, and just as my luck would have it, the heel breaks clean off the first chance I get to wear them.” She started to laugh again.

Severus didn’t understand what was so humorous. Personally, he’d be furious if he’d paid so much for shoes that were obviously low quality. Yet, he supposed her amusement could be attributed to her alcohol consumption. He watched as the woman limped to a nearby stoop and sat down on the step, examining her shoe. Once she’d sat, she began to sway and, again, Severus found himself leaping forward to catch her before she toppled over.

–Could I call you a taxi?” he asked as he attempted to help her back into her sitting position.

The woman waved her hand at him, barely missing hitting his nose. –No, don’t be silly,” she slurred. –I just live around the corner.” She pointed in a general direction down the street.

Severus was highly annoyed. He wanted to do the right thing, but this woman was maddening. First, she gets pissed, conveying an obvious lack of independency to get home, and then she turns down his recommendation of a taxi and calls him…silly.

–Is there anyone that you could contact, then? A friend or your husband--”

–Ha!” the woman exclaimed, startling Severus. –As if. I’m much too busy for a husband, I’ll have you know.” She waggled her finger at him as if scolding him then allowed her hand to drop limply back into her lap. She stared blankly at the pavement.

Severus looked around for any assistance. The street was completely barren. It was as if everyone knew what a burden it would be for Severus to deal with an intoxicated stranger on this night and had moved indoors just to spite him. He sighed, defeated, and turned to face the woman.

–Perhaps I could walk you?”

–You don’t have to do that. I’ll be fine.” The woman tried to stand. She had barely straightened her legs completely when they buckled under her. She sat back down and put a hand to her head which Severus was sure was probably spinning.

–Yes. I’m sure,” he patronized.

The woman looked up to where he stood staring down at her. –You don’t have to be so condescending,” she said, poking him in the chest. Then she threw up her arms and sighed. –If you insist,” she spat at him before kicking off her shoes and resolutely standing.

She began down the street--shoes in hand--with Severus striding along next to her, cautious of her unsteady stroll. Should she stumble, he wanted to make sure he would be able to catch her.

As they walked, the woman glanced over at Severus but turned away again quickly. Severus merely raised an eyebrow at her in an attempt to show her his annoyance.

–You don’t have to do this, you know,” she stated, stopping her forward movement and turning to face him. –I mean, it’s very kind of you to escort me home, but I can tell you have better things you’d rather be doing.”

Severus was intrigued by her obviously astute ability to read his facial expressions. –What makes you think that? For all you know, I could be an undercover police officer and this is my job.”

The woman didn’t seem worried in the slightest and conveyed an air of self-confidence in her assessment of him. –You aren’t,” she stated boldly, but looked down at her hands. –I work in a hospital with doctors who also think they can hide their discontent with menial tasks.” She looked up at him suddenly worried. –You aren’t a doctor, are you?”

Severus opened his mouth to speak but was cut off before he could say anything.

–Because that would be highly awkward if you were,” she slurred. –I mean, you’d think that a city as big as this and a profession as large as the medical field, a woman needn’t worry about everyone knowing her and her business, but it isn’t that way at all! In fact--”

–Woman!” Severus bellowed, rounding on her. –I understand you are inebriated, but I hardly think that is reason to jabber on incoherently.”

The woman at least had the good sense to blush.

–Sorry,” she said. –I bet it’s a bit irritating.”

–Bloody insufferable,” Severus said under his breath as the two began walking once more.

They continued in silence for some minutes. A few times Severus had to reach out and grab the woman’s arm to keep her from tripping. As he walked beside her, he started to look out of the corner of his eye at her.

Though her wavy, dark-brown hair was disheveled and her heel broken, he could tell that she had definitely been in a much more refined state when she’d started out that evening. The woman was lean, but not overly skinny, with what Severus assumed was an athletic build, but not boyish. Her legs were long--not that he was looking at her legs--and her hands thin and delicate. Her skin was pale and smooth and there was a smattering of light freckles across her nose that made her appear more youthful than she probably was. Though Severus doubted she was older than thirty-five, perhaps younger. She was definitely not unattractive. And she smelled fantastic--aside from the alcohol.

It did seem rather odd to him that a woman of this beauty and poise would be stumbling home from a pub by herself and he decided to find out why, but once again, the woman broke the silence.

–Why are you helping me, by the way?” she asked, rather rudely in Severus’s opinion. He eyed her critically, just as he would an impertinent student, and then looked back in the direction they were walking.

–I rather thought you could use the assistance. This may be one of the better parts of London, but that doesn’t mean a lady such as you couldn’t find herself in an uncomfortable situation.” He looked back at her to make sure that his lecture was hitting home but she looked completely unabashed at his words. He sighed. –I suppose you could say it was the chivalrous thing to do.”

–How do I know I won’t find myself in an ‘uncomfortable situation’ with you?” she asked.

–I assure you, you won’t.” He looked her in the eyes. –You have my word.”

The woman nodded once but didn’t say anything. Severus continued.

–Why, exactly, is it that you were left in that pub to fend for yourself? If I’m not mistaken, earlier you were surrounded by a large group of people.”

–You’re very observant.” The woman shrugged. –I just started working at the hospital up the street,” she began cautiously, –A few of my new colleagues thought it would be fun to come out tonight and celebrate. They proceeded to buy me drink after drink and, foolishly, I allowed it and downed every single glass. Then, when I’d passed out at the table, they paid their tabs and left. I’m sure they’ll all get quite a laugh when I show up hung over for my rounds tomorrow.” She noticed Severus’s quizzical look and elaborated. –I believe it was an initiation of sorts. You know, get the new girl pissed and leave her at the pub to find her own way home. I’m sure you can see where that would be comical.”

Severus raised his eyebrows and frowned. –I think they will prove to be poor friends.”

–You’re probably right,” the woman conceded.

The pair had only walked a few more paces when the woman stopped abruptly. She swayed and Severus quickly reached out a hand to steady her. She looked around as if confused.

–What is it?” Severus asked.

The woman looked at him and started to chuckle. –We passed my flat…I think.” She narrowed her eyes, looking at each of the practically identical Georgian-style buildings critically, then her face lit into a smile. –Wait, never mind, there it is.” She began to walk resolutely toward the one marked number seven. Severus rolled his eyes, but followed her.

Together they climbed the steps as the woman pulled her keys from her handbag and began fumbling with the lock.

–Are you all right from here?” Severus asked.

–Fine, thank you. It was very kind of you to walk me home. I’m sure I was dreadful company.”

Severus smirked. –I wouldn’t expect an inebriate to regale the finer points of literature or politics.” He looked into the woman’s eyes as she looked up at him having finally unlocked the door. He winced at his brashness. Her eyes were big, observing and a light, crystal blue color. Though there was a far-off look to them—no doubt from the alcohol--they glowed with intelligence.

Severus was instantly sorry. He opened his mouth to apologize and, for the third time that night, he was cut off, this time by the woman’s loud, feminine laugh.

–No, you’d be a fool if you did.” She opened the door and placed her shoes and handbag on the floor just inside. –Well, thank you again.”

Severus nodded once and instead of turning to leave, he lingered. Later he would wonder why he did that, not fully understanding what caused his hesitation in descending the stairs but remembering that he was still fully surprised when the woman stepped forward and pressed her lips firmly against his.

He stood there dumbstruck, too shocked to move much less kiss her back. The kiss didn’t last long, but Severus had felt the all too familiar tingle that accompanied a magical spell, though he couldn’t explain what had caused it. He looked around expecting to see someone else, but it was just him standing on the stoop with the Muggle woman. She had pulled away from him and was inching back towards the door.

She moved inside and was about to close the door when she spoke to him, a light smile playing across her lips. –I’m Elizabeth, by the way. Elizabeth Agnew.”

Severus continued to stare at her, still feeling completely caught off-guard.

–Severus Snape,” he responded, entranced.

Elizabeth widened her eyes and silently guffawed at his name. Severus scowled.

–I may not remember much tomorrow, but I think I’ll remember that,” she chuckled light-heartedly before slowly closing the door. –Goodnight, Severus Snape.”

Severus was left on her stoop confused and slightly perturbed. After all, what gave her the right to kiss him? He hadn’t asked for it nor thought it appropriate, yet she had done it anyway. What a maddening woman!

As he walked away to search for a suitable place to Disapparate, he thought the woman deserved every last side-effect her thoughtless drinking would cause her and desperately pushed the hope that she would be alright to the back of his mind.
Chapter Endnotes: Please, if you liked it or hated it, leave a review. It doesn't have to be long.