Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Introductions by MetamorphmagusLupin

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hello everyone! Here is chapter three. I hope you are all enjoying this story! I would really love to hear some of your thoughts so, if you liked it, loved it, or hated it, I would love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks!
Chapter 3: Unexpecting

Minerva McGonagall had been in the middle of a rather mundane task anyway. It wasn’t as if the monthly detention rotation for the staff was something she particularly enjoyed. Normally, the task was left to the Deputy Headmaster, but Professor Flitwick had been bogged down with extra Charms study groups in the outset of the new term and had asked if she didn’t mind doing the rosters for January. She didn’t, of course, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t wholeheartedly welcome a break from the task.

When Severus Snape’s head popped into the fireplace of the Headmistress’s office, Minerva didn’t expect to see the stern, black-haired man so flustered. In fact, Minerva couldn’t think of a time in her entire life when the man had ever seemed so troubled. Annoyed, yes. Angry, often. But never so distinctly…what word could she use? Horrified came to mind but the word itself didn’t seem to suit what she knew of Severus at all. Rarely did the man show fear--it was seen as a sign of weakness--even to her, whom she imagined Severus confided in the most save Dumbledore and since Albus had died… Well, everyone needed someone to talk to and Minerva was one person who was rarely affected by Severus’s snide remarks or dry, often cruel, humor. She could come up with many a biting remark to match his sour, unpleasant ones. The two had a mutual respect for each other that was truly hard to categorize.

–Minerva, I need to see you. It’s urgent,” he said as the green flames licked about his skin and hair, never touching him.

–Of course, Severus. Give me a few moments.”

With a pop, the man’s head disappeared from her grate. Minerva rose from her chair and as she did so, an all-too-familiar voice spoke from behind her.

–What do you suppose has Severus so keyed up?”

–I don’t know, Albus, but I imagine I’m about to find out,” she said before turning to face the portrait. –Have you ever seen him like this before?”

–Once,” the portrait replied.

–Oh?” Minerva inquired.

–Yes, the night he became a spy for the Order.”

–You mean…” Minerva began, trailing off as comprehension dawned upon her.

She turned and took a pinch of Floo powder and threw it into the grate and stepped in. As the flames whipped about her, she just managed to hear the wizened wizard’s final words.

–Let’s pray his situation isn’t so dire this time.”

A few moments later, Minerva stepped from the over-large fireplace in Severus’s sitting room. With a quick spell, she cleaned the soot from her hat and robes and made her way around the sofa where Severus was pacing.

–You’re here. Good,” he said, momentarily pausing his plodding across the floor.

–What is it? What has happened?”

Severus looked at her pointedly as if internally willing her to know. He didn’t seem to want to utter the words. After a moment, he looked back toward the floor, shook his head and resumed his pacing.

–It’s obviously a mistake.”

–What’s a mistake?”

–That horrid woman’s information is flawed. There is no way that it belongs to me.”

–Severus!” Minerva cut him off. –What on earth are you talking about?’

Sweet Merlin, she’d never seen the man so unfocused and irritated. Well, perhaps this irritated, but only when he spoke of the children at Hogwarts, or more specifically Harry Potter. However, that had been years ago. The man started to wring his hands together and looked anxiously up at her.

–Minerva, I find myself in a rather odd situation. I--” he began, but at that moment, Minerva heard a cooing sigh--ever so soft--but entirely out-of-place in the home of Severus Snape and she stared at her old colleague in shock.

–What was that?” she asked as she noticed his eyes shift toward a wicker basket sitting on the sofa that she hadn’t seen upon first entering the room. She approached it and was shocked when she looked inside to see a small, dark-haired, pale-skinned baby sleeping peacefully, one little fist curled next to its head.

–Severus,” she began, stunned, –that’s a baby.”

When she received no response, Minerva looked up at her former student across the room.

–What is it doing here?” she asked. Severus shifted his eyes to her but didn’t answer. –Oh, Severus…”

–I was requested at the Ministry this morning,” he began to say tentatively, –and escorted to a room where this liaison woman--a Madam Hinkle--a Squib working for both the Ministry of Magic and the Muggle community, presented the child to me. The mother is dead, an accident of some sort. The child was delivered by emergency cesarean. I was ready to walk out when Madam Hinkle told me that the woman’s last words were… ‘She belongs to Severus.’ Of course, they assumed that was the father’s name and spent months scouring Muggle Britain, but there were no men with that name so this woman was brought in to discretely search the wizarding community. With my…past notoriety, it took her no time to find me.”

–So you are this child’s father?” Minerva asked, truly intrigued.

–That is preposterous,” Severus scoffed, turning away from Minerva.

–Severus, did you know the baby’s mother?”

–Yes,” he answered immediately. –I walked her home one evening after her horrid friends left her pissed drunk at a pub.”

Minerva narrowed her eyes in disapproval. Severus scowled.

–I didn’t take advantage, if that’s what you are thinking,” he sneered. –The woman and I were acquainted for several months before it…fell apart and I reentered the wizarding world.”

Minerva nodded, now understanding the wizard’s sudden change-of-heart nearly a year before. –When was it born?” she inquired.

–She.”

–I beg your pardon?”

Severus frowned. –It is a girl, and the woman at the Ministry said September--the first of September.”

Minerva nodded. –Well, she’s over four months old then…This woman you walked home…did the two of you…well, do more than discuss the weather at any time during your ‘acquaintance’?”

Minerva was rather amused at seeing her former student’s cheeks color slightly when asked such a personal question by his ex-professor.

–Well, Severus?” she pushed. –Did you have sex with the mother?”

–For Merlin’s sake, woman!” Severus roared.

–I’ll take that as a ‘yes’. How long ago did this happen?”

Severus sat down, defeated, into the green, plush armchair he favored so much.

–The timeline fits, if that is what you’re asking.”

Minerva set Severus with a resolved stare. –Well, then it would seem that everything fits together rather logically, but there is a spell…the Paterno Parvulus. If you like I can definitively tell you whether you are the father.”

Severus pounded the arm of his chair in frustration.

–There’s no need. That damned woman at the Ministry already performed it. I didn’t even know such a spell existed,” he grumbled.

Minerva looked amusedly at Severus.

–Do you honestly believe you’re the first wizard to inquire as to the paternity of a child? Good Godric, you must put a lot of trust in women.”

–I trust few. Full stop.”

–Then I’m surprised this is such a shock to you. Do I even need to ask what the results were?”

When Severus remained quiet, she reached over into the little basket and lifted the sleeping child out. She stood and walked to Severus and, before he could say anything, she delicately placed the baby into his reluctant arms.

–Congratulations, Severus. It appears that despite your denial to the contrary, you are now the father of a beautiful baby girl.”

Severus held the baby awkwardly but managed to stand. He walked to Minerva, handed the sleeping child back to her and walked to the window.

–Beautiful indeed,” he said sardonically. –All babies look like mandrakes. That one is no different.”

Minerva chuckled good-naturedly. –Yes, but she won’t always. Besides, she’s yours. Most parents tend to believe their own children are better looking than any others.” She looked away from the baby to the back of the man at the window. –Severus?”

Severus turned slowly to look anxiously at the Headmistress. –I can’t be that child’s father, Minerva. I don’t know how to be a father.”

Minerva shook her head slightly. –Nobody knows how to be a parent. It’s instinctual, mostly.”

Severus gave a doubtful grunt.

–Look, Severus,” Minerva began, –the main job of a father is to watch and protect his children. Keep them from harm, provide a safe environment for them, and guide them through life.”

Severus frowned deeply. –By your definition, that would make me Potter’s father.”

–Well,” Minerva said, inclining her head, –in many ways you have been a sort of father-type figure for him, yes.”

At the look of total disgust and dismay on Severus’s face, Minerva chuckled again. –Relax. I hardly think Harry sees you in such a way. I rather think that in the absence of his father, Sirius Black was next in line. Albus was a big influence for a time as well, but I truly think Remus has since filled that void.”

–How touching,” Severus stated.

Minerva sighed. –The point is: a father also provides something you never could show Harry Potter…” At Severus’s inquiring eyebrow raise, Minerva continued. –Unconditional love.”

Severus smirked skeptically and looked away from the Headmistress.

–Don’t scoff, Severus. As wary as you are to admit it, this child is a part of you. She’s your flesh and blood and you will love her more than anything you could possibly imagine. You may not feel the need now, but you will want to protect her from everything that is evil and wrong in this world. You will want her to have everything you never had and hope she never feels any pain. She’s your life now, Severus, and your future. Love her. You will not regret it.”

Severus turned back to Minerva then. He seemed to be taking in her words, but there was still a look of anxiety in his features. When he spoke, Minerva was surprised to hear a slight shake in his voice.

–I will take responsibility for her. That is my duty but, I-- I don’t know that I can be a father. I wouldn’t even know where to start.”

–Well,” Minerva said, sitting down on the settee and cradling the sleeping child lovingly, –you could start with a name.”
/
Hours later, Minerva McGonagall sat much as she had before upon the settee with the little baby cradled in her arms. The girl had squirmed and fussed a bit upon waking, but Minerva had instantly conjured a bottle and warmed some regular milk she had found in a chill-charmed cabinet in the kitchen. Severus had been no help whatsoever. He was apparently still in shock with the idea of having a child to care for and one glance at her former colleague and Minerva was certain he was grateful the child hadn’t awoken and started crying. A sleeping infant in the presence of this formidable man was one thing, a wailing one was completely different.

Severus sat silently in his green armchair now. His right leg was crossed over his left and he was staring toward the window at nothing in particular, if Minerva had to guess. It was times like these when she wished she had taken Albus up on learning Legilimency so that she could break through the exterior of the complex man before her.

–How about Isabella?” Minerva offered.

Severus turned to her and scowled, wrinkling his nose.

–And what, Minerva, do you suppose people will shorten that to?” he asked mockingly.

Minerva shrugged. –Bella… Ah, point taken.”

–I will not have my name sullied alongside that horrid Lestrange woman,” he stated defensively.

–Amanda?”

–Common, Muggle name.”

–Hmm…Margaret? You could shorten it to Maggie or Meg—”

Severus glowered.

Minerva sighed. The man had been shooting down her suggestions all night and she was beginning to grow weary of trying to find one that appealed to Severus yet also fit this child. He hadn’t even tried to offer up his own suggestions either.

She looked down upon the little girl in her arms and the baby stared back with her dark blue eyes. The shape was recognizable and Minerva could already see a familiar intensity within them. In fact, there were several little things she was already beginning to recognize in the child.

–She looks a bit like you, you know,” Minerva said, gazing fondly at Severus before turning back to the baby. –I can see it, and I’m not just talking about the dark hair.”

At that moment, the baby scrunched up her face and wrinkled her brow as if perturbed by what Minerva had said.

–Especially when she does that. Severus, I do believe she has your trademark scowl…even if it is when she’s making a mess of her nappy.” Minerva looked up at Severus to see him frowning back at her with a look of utmost annoyance. –Yes, that’s the one.”

The baby gurgled and Minerva adjusted the angle on the bottle. –Poor thing,” she said. –It’s a shame her mother isn’t here to nurse her… Oh, Severus, have you looked at these beautiful eyes? It’s such a peculiar color, like, sapphire or a bit darker. Perhaps royal blue…”

She trailed away as she looked once more up at Severus. He was holding his teacup in one hand and resting it upon his knee. His other hand was cradling his head and he had resumed his private mind wandering. Minerva smiled slightly at the sight; the man was clearly anxious. She knew, of course, that he had faced Death Eaters, wayward students, Lord Voldemort and death itself--all with a dignified air about him, never showing an ounce of fear. But fatherhood didn’t seem to be a force he could wrap his head around. Poor Severus probably didn’t know what to feel.

–Although, a baby’s eyes often change color…”

The baby smiled and cooed.

–Oh, I know! You could name her Minerva,” the Headmistress said, perhaps only half teasing. –That is a wonderful name.”

Severus’s head whipped around to stare intently at Minerva and she could see a solid look of resolve upon his features.

–Don’t be ridiculous,” he said. –She will be called Zoe.”

–Zoe? Hmm… I like it. But where, might I ask, did you come up with that?” Minerva asked, eyeing Severus from over the rims of her square spectacles.

–I rather like it. It is a perfectly sensible name,” he stated defensively.

–I don’t disagree with you. It is an old name, but rather modern in sound… What about a second name?”

–Yes, yes. I’ve decided that as well. Ophelia was my maternal grandmother’s name. She was always kind to me as a boy and I wish to honor her.”

–That’s lovely, Severus.”

–And…Elizabeth,” Severus continued, shifting almost as if he was a bit uncomfortable.

–Elizabeth?” Minerva inquired. –Two middle names? Do you have some sort of affinity for the Muggle monarchy that I am unaware of?”

–Hardly,” the wizard scoffed. He then stared down at the baby in Minerva’s arms. –It was her mother’s name.”

Minerva could feel tears coming to her eyes. Sometimes this man could really surprise her.

–And with death, there is also life.”

Severus nodded his head in agreement. –It seems…appropriate,” he said.

Severus looked away once more and Minerva smiled as she raised the infant up onto her shoulder to burp her. As she patted the baby’s back, she thought about the name.

–Zoe Ophelia Elizabeth Snape. It’s beautiful, elegant even. Well done, Severus.”

Minerva continued to pat the little girl until a telltale burp issued from her. She then cradled her.

–What a darling,” she said. –Such a pleasant baby. You know, I should really be letting you do this. After all, I won’t always be here to--”

Minerva stopped suddenly at the look on Severus’s face. There was anxiousness, yes, but also warning. Minerva knew then that, although Severus would take responsibility for this child, his child, he would never be the doting, admiring, father the girl would likely envision for her parent. He would provide for Zoe. She would have everything she needed, maybe more so, but emotionally, he would be detached from her. Minerva truly hoped, for both her and Severus’s sakes that this little girl would have the ability to succeed with Severus where Minerva had been unable to when it came to her own father, the aristocratic Dermot McGonagall. Perhaps Zoe could bring down the emotionally repressed façade of this dour Potions Master.

–Severus,” she began, –would you be against some live-in assistance? For Zoe, I mean.”

–I have no intentions of employing a nanny.”

–No, I was thinking more along the lines of a house elf.”

Severus seemed to think it over, looking not at her, but the infant starting to fall asleep in her arms and nodded in the affirmative.

–Right. I will go to the Hogwarts kitchens tomorrow morning to find out if any there would be willing to care for an infant. But in the meantime…” She stood then and walked once more to the man sitting in the chair opposite her. –I think it’s time you learn to change a nappy.”

Severus grimaced and Minerva couldn’t help but smirk.

–Oh, relax. There are spells.”

She was rather annoyed when the man looked thoroughly relieved.