Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

1. Master of Instinct (Lightning Clan Trilogy) by HermitKnut

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
–We’re still in the building.”

Zak felt his heart stop.

–We’re - we’re okay for now, but the fire’s stronger than we realised, it was already between us and the door -”

–Ed, the fire brigade are here, they’ll get you guys out,” Zak said, hearing a note of panic in Eddie’s voice. –Are you okay? Amy and Emilia with you?” he asked. There was a pause. Eddie said nothing.

–Eddie?” Zak said. –You still there?”

–Yeah… yeah, I’m here…”

Zak started walking towards the fire fighters.

–Eddie, I’m going to talk to the fire fighters, so they know where you are, okay? Where are you, which part of the building?”

There was another pause, but this time Eddie answered.

–We’re on the second floor, on the… the left side of the building as you look at it from the road. I’ll try to get to the window,” he said.

Zak reached the fire fighters, and explained. One of them immediately took his phone and started talking to Eddie, explaining exactly how they would be there to help, reassuring him.

–How many of you are there?” he asked. He listened for a moment, then nodded.

–Okay, lad, we’ll be there in just a minute, okay? Okay.”

Within a minute or two, they had ladders against the side of the building. Zak shielded his eyes against the brightness of the flames, now visible in the second floor windows to the right of the building, and he could see the silhouette of someone in the window by the ladder. When the fire fighter climbing the ladder reached the window, which had been pushed open, he reached inside. There was a pause, and then he was helping a blonde woman - Amy! Zak realised - down the ladder. She was coughing violently, and as she reached the ground paramedics were at her side with oxygen. The fire fighter went back up the ladder, but when he was half-way up there was an explosive sound from within the building, and the watching crowd gasped as part of the roof just above the room Amy had come from collapsed in on itself. Zak took an involuntary step forward, his heart in his mouth. Come on, Eddie, come on…

As he watched, the fire fighter resumed his climb. When he reached the top, though, he actually stepped in through the window, before leaning back out and shouting something Zak couldn’t make out to his coworkers down below. A moment later, there was another fire fighter scaling the ladder after him. The fire raged larger as the other side of the building was attacked with hosepipes. Smoke billowed across the building, obscuring what was happening, but then Zak saw the two firemen with a third figure being half-carried between the two of them, making their way down the ladder. The third figure was covered in dust and there was something brown and red across his hands and lower arms. When they reached the bottom of the ladder, they were swamped by paramedics. Zak tried to get closer but he was stopped by a police officer, one of the several who were slowly checking off the names of the crowd and stopping the traffic further up the road to allow the ambulances to and fro.

Suddenly there was a small commotion by the ambulances, and the police let two figures through who ran immediately to the clump of paramedics. Zak recognised them as they passed, their faces turned to the flames. Harry and Ginny. Realisation stunned Zak into silence for a moment, before his mouth caught up with his thoughts.

–Eddie?” Zak called. The police officer was still keeping him and the rest of the crowd away. –Eddie? Eddie? Eddie!”

~

PHOENIX IN FLAMES

Vicious fire kills one band member, critically injures another


Emilia Brown, Phoenix vocalist, was killed in a fire that interrupted the start of a Phoenix concert last night. Shocked audience members congregated on the street opposite as fire fighters rushed to the scene…


~

The hospital ward was bland, with pale walls and simple, functional furniture. The focus of the room was on the bed, and its current occupant, but next to him in a cushioned but uncomfortable chair was someone else.

Harry Potter shifted uncomfortably, rubbing his face with both hands in an attempt to stay awake that only served to remind him how tired he was. Ginny and Ezzy had gone to get a drink from the tearooms, which he was looking forward to. Hopefully some coffee would be able to keep him awake - he wanted to be there when Eddie woke up. Harry knew the healers had said it would be a few days before he came around enough to hold a conversation, but he didn’t care: if there was the slightest chance Eddie was aware of his surroundings, Harry wanted him to know that his family were there for him.

Harry felt pain and anger twist in his heart when he looked at his son, lying in the hospital bed, almost as pale as the sheets, both his arms bandaged up to just above the elbow. The fire had gotten out of control faster than anyone would have expected, and it had reached something explosive - thankfully only in very small amounts - that the emergency services had thus far been unable to identify. Eddie had been barely conscious when the firemen had pulled him out of the building, and he had remained unconscious since being loaded into the ambulance.

Harry reached over and carefully brushed a few strands of black hair away from his son’s eyes, keeping carefully away from the soft dressings on the right side of his face and neck. There was a soft click and he looked around to see Ginny and Ezzy returning bearing coffee and something that looked like it might be a bagel which Ginny handed to him.

–We ate ours upstairs,” she said softly. –Any change?”

Harry shook his head, struggling to hold back a yawn before admitting defeat.

–Nothing. Not the slightest sound, apart from breathing if you listen really hard,” he said. Tiredness was making him feel punchy, so he took the cup his daughter offered him and drank a third of it in one gulp, the hot liquid almost scalding his throat as it went down. The bagel seemed dry and flavourless, but that combined with the coffee revived him a little more. The three of them settled down to a long wait, knowing that there was no use them all being there but somehow none of them really wanting to suggest leaving. The quietness in the room slowly became absolute, except for the occasional muffled sounds of the healers in the corridors and the sound of four people breathing.

~

Eddie woke up two days later. When they told him, Harry almost wished they could have left him asleep.

~

LEAK: EDDIE POTTER –MAY NEVER PLAY AGAIN”
Eddie Potter said to have suffered crippling hand injuries…


To Be Continued…