Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

1. Master of Instinct (Lightning Clan Trilogy) by HermitKnut

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
March 2021

Eddie improved swiftly over the next couple of years. Oddly swiftly, almost - both Sara the psychiatrist and Katie were astonished at how quickly he returned to near-normal. He was still quieter, more reserved than his sister by several miles. But he joined her at Hogwarts for her sixth year, and benefited greatly from the overprotective nature of his many cousins.

It helped that he now had a focus to his life. Ginny, who had started out by writing songs for Mixed Blood - a group of aware muggles, squibs and witches who sold their music to both Muggle and wizarding audiences - had not made writing music her career, but Harry had bought a little upright piano for the house at the time, nonetheless. Jamie, a pianist friend of Ginny’s, came around on a semi-regular basis and they would often open the piano and muck around. It had been on one of those occasions that the then fourteen-year-old Eddie had slipped in to watch, fascinated, as Jamie’s fingers danced across the keys. Eventually he had worked up the nerve to stand right by the piano, and Jamie had showed him how to play a tune. The two had become fast friends as this evolved into regular lessons. Eddie now played for hours every day - and demonstrated quite the talent for it.

Although he was five years behind in his Hogwarts studies he was a bright, attentive student. He was studying basic spells and potions - the pure core of what was necessary to make his way in the wizarding world - and was to take specialised, stripped down exams in his final year instead of O.W.Ls and N.E.W.Ts. In his free time, however, he studied music obsessively. Jamie had managed to arrange for him to take a Muggle GCSE in the subject.

–Come in,” Harry said in response to a knock on his study door. Eddie entered in his usual quiet manner and came over to lean against Harry’s desk.

–What are you working on?” he asked, sounding interested as his eyes flicked over the parchment and the paperwork scattered across the room.

–Oh, all sorts,” said Harry, leaning back in his chair. –I need to sort out a refurnishing for the house in Oxford, and there’s an argument between the tenants and the cleaning staff in the London flats…” he trailed off, noting Eddie’s raised eyebrows. –All right,” he said, giving in, –I’ve been talking to a few people I know, looking for anything to do with you. But there’s still nothing.”

Eddie was silent for a minute or so, chewing his bottom lip consideringly. Then he looked straight at his father.

–It’s been nearly three years since I got back. I think you should stop looking,” he said. Harry frowned.

–Eddie, the people that took you - that hurt you - deserve to be put away. Not just because of you, they could get to someone else. I can’t just -”

–I just meant,” Eddie interrupted, –that maybe if you give it a break, things will… they’ll start clearing up. They’ve got to know you’re looking for them.”

Harry observed his son silently, considering. As a sixteen-year-old he was often mistaken for much younger; he was far skinnier and shorter than Harry had ever been. He was always quiet, preferring to listen than to talk. And although he was behind his peers in so many areas, he had an uncanny knack for saying the right thing at the right time.

–I’m not scared, if that’s what you think,” the teen said quietly. –I know they won’t find me again.”

–I know. Maybe I’ll cut it a break. Why don’t you head upstairs and see if your sister’s back from her drama thing?”

Eddie nodded, and headed back upstairs. But after he’d gone, Harry stared at the door for a while. I know they won’t find me again. There had been something in Eddie’s expression when he’d said that… something oddly confident, as though he knew for certain that he couldn’t be found now…

Harry shook his head. Rubbish.

He sifted his paperwork again, and tried to remember where he’d got to.

~

July 2021

The sun shone brightly through the kitchen window as it began to set. A large portion of the Weasley family were talking animatedly about the party in two weeks’ time - every member of the family had been invited and asked, as ever, to invite their friends and in-laws along too. Henry was leaning against the wall by the window, listening to the conversation, when it turned to him.

–What I really, really think we should know,” his middle sister, Elizabeth, was saying, –is about Henry’s secret girlfriend.” Henry stifled a groan. His siblings had picked up on the fact that he went out several evenings a week when he was at home, and he had stupidly told them the truth: he was going out with someone. He had refused to specify any more than that, but the damage had been done - his siblings and cousins were now almost entirely convinced that Henry had a mysterious girlfriend. Which, of course, he didn’t.

Elizabeth saw the expression her brother had pulled at the mention of this unknown figure.

–Henry, are you or are you not inviting her to the party?” she asked. Henry sighed. He probably shouldn’t have mentioned that, either.

–I have invited someone I know to the party, yes,” he said, being carefully truthful.

–Well,” his sister continued, –it’s only fair that you tell us more about her. I don’t think it would be very nice if she turns up in a couple of weeks and no one here knows anything about her!”

–She has a point, Henry,” said Roberta. Henry couldn’t help but think she was right; he had invited Joe to the party next week, and it wouldn’t be fair for no one else to know about them. Admittedly Joe wouldn’t mind… and it would in all probability be hilariously funny, if he knew his siblings at all… but still, unfair…

Henry thought his siblings were lucky he had more of a conscience than that, even if he did take a moment to grin to himself at the idea of walking into the Weasley family party, introducing Joe as his boyfriend and then just leaving everyone to gossip. He sighed, and reluctantly began to speak.

–What do you want to know?” he asked. –No, wait a minute - what exactly do you think you know about my non-existent ‘girlfriend’?” At the last word he made quotation marks in the air with his fingers. His sisters looked thoughtful for a moment.

–We know she’s a Muggle,” Roberta said, –but that she knows someone or is related to someone at Hogwarts.” Henry nodded.

–We know she lives in town,” Elizabeth added, –but that’s about it, Henry.”

–So what, exactly,” Henry asked somewhat despairingly, –makes you all so certain that this person is my girlfriend or even a ‘she’?”

At this Elizabeth grinned smugly.

–Because, a) you’ve been spending an unusual amount of time with her, b) you keep coming up with Muggle jokes that only mum gets and c) whenever we bring her up, you look totally smitten.” She marked the points on her fingers as she went along. Sarah giggled, and Henry decided to concede to this.

–Fine, okay,” he said. –But still, how does that prove they’re a woman?” Roberta made an ‘I’m stating the obvious’ face.

–Because you fancy her!”

–But how does that prove -”

–Because you’re straight!”

There was a tiny pause. Henry saw his parents eyes flick immediately to his face.

–Um, actually I’m not…”

The entire kitchen went silent for a few seconds. Then Roberta spoke.

–Henry, are you gay?” she asked, as if something had suddenly made sense. Henry bit back a sarcastic retort.

–Yeah,” he said simply.

–Okay,” his elder sister said, clearly rather at a loss.

–Okay?” Henry looked around. His brother Matt had spoken.

–Okay?” he said again. –Are you joking? This is fantastic, I’m never going to get another sister again, in-law or otherwise!” The tension was broken and the whole kitchen exploded with laughter. Elizabeth threw a wooden spoon at him which he ducked, sniggering. Henry smiled gratefully at his brother.

–So hang on a second…” Elizabeth said. –You don’t have a mysterious girlfriend.”

–No,” said Henry, shaking his head, laughter in his eyes.

–You have a mysterious boyfriend?”

–Yep,” Henry nodded.

–Right,” said Elizabeth, recovering from her surprise masterfully, –then you can tell us all about him instead!”

The laughter redoubled, and for a minute or so it was all that anyone could manage. Then Henry pulled himself together.

–Okay, okay,” he said, –what do you want to know?”

–What’s his name?” Roberta asked immediately.

–Joe,” Henry said, smiling. Elizabeth pointed at him accusingly.

–See, smitten! I said it, didn’t I?” she said teasingly. Henry ducked his head, feeling his ears get hot, but he was happy with the way they had all taken it.

–How old is he?” Matthew asked.

–Same age as me - well, a couple of months older,” Henry said. His sisters were looking at him expectantly, and he raised his eyebrows.

–What?” he asked.

–Well?” Elizabeth replied. Henry thought for a moment - no, he really did not know what they were waiting for.

–What?” he asked again.

–What’s he like? Where did you meet, how does he know about the wizarding world, what does he look like?” His sister practically exploded with impatience. Henry laughed, and then caught a glance at the clock. Half-past six, thank Merlin.

–You’ll have to wait for a while, Beth,” he said, earning a scowl for abbreviating her name, –I’m going out.”

–With Joe?” Sarah asked.

–Yep.”

And with that, he disappeared out of the door, ignoring his siblings’ curiosity with a grin and a wave through the kitchen window before Apparating away.

~

July 2021

Two weeks later, and everyone had been at the Burrow since four o’clock, putting out plates, helping Nana Weasley with the food, and putting up the big marquee in the garden. It was now approaching half-past six and the guests were gradually arriving. Henry stuck his head into the living room.

–Mum, I’m just going to pick Joe up, I’ll be back in a bit,” he said. Hermione nodded, and he went outside into the warm summer air to Apparate.

He arrived with a snap in the narrow gap between two houses. After looking around carefully, he walked out of one end, crossed the road, and then approached one of the houses on the other side, number six. He knocked on the door. After a moment, he heard footsteps, and then the door was opened. Jessica Threllar stood in the doorway.

–Hello Henry, sweetheart,” she said, smiling, –come on in. He’s upstairs. Joe?” This last word she called up the stairs. It elicited a muffled response which sounded like –just a minute!” Henry laughed.

–So slow, Harts!” he called back. He heard the door swing open and Joe appeared at the top of the stairs, grinning.

–Hardly,” he said, as he came down the stairs. When he reached the bottom, he greeted Henry with a quick kiss, and for a moment they just smiled at each other.

–Ready to go, then?” Henry asked. Joe nodded.

–Mum, I’ll be back late,” he called over his shoulder to the living room.

–Okay - have a nice time,” his mother replied.

They left the house and closed the door behind them.

It was warm out and not yet very dark. They walked for about five minutes in companionable silence - after the first minute, Joe’s hand somehow found its way into Henry’s. When they had reached a spot that seemed not to be overlooked, Joe took Henry’s arm more firmly as Henry turned on the spot and vanished, taking Joe with him.

~

Elizabeth was getting a glass of water when she spotted her mother.

–Mum, have you seen Henry around?” she asked.

–I think he went to pick up Joe,” Hermione said, smiling at the suddenly curious expression on her daughter’s face. –He should be back in a few minutes,” she continued, –make sure you’re not too nosy, Elizabeth.” But her last words were lost as Elizabeth turned and left the kitchen. Hermione shook her head, suppressing a laugh. She had to admit, she was very curious about Henry’s boyfriend. Of course she and Ron had known about him long before the others, but they had never met him. Henry tended to meet him in the town, and then come back alone. She was just wondering how long they would be when she heard a squeal and a giggle from the hall. She went outside to investigate.

Eleanor, Elizabeth and several of their cousins were standing in the hall, gossiping; from what Hermione could make out, they were trying to guess things about Henry’s boyfriend. Their predictions were halted abruptly, however, as the younger Molly Weasley arrived in their midst.

–I’ve seen him!” she pronounced dramatically. The others gathered around, pestering her for more information.

–What’s he like?”

–Was he with Henry?”

–Where did you see him?”

–All right, all right,” Molly said sheepishly, –I only saw two people walking up the lane hand in hand - and one of them looked like it might’ve been Henry. But it was too dark to really see.”

Hermione laughed.

–Well, I think the lot of you can either go outside and socialise, or you can come into the kitchen and help me and your grandmother with the food,” she said, knowing the answer. Sure enough, the group trooped out of the hall and towards the garden. Hermione returned to the kitchen.

~

A few minutes later, everyone was outside enjoying the pleasant summer evening. The marquee sheltered two long tables covered with fruit, bread, cold meats, sweets, sugary treats, and every other so-called ‘nibbleable’ food that the elder Molly Weasley had been able to concoct. There were little candles hanging from all the trees and ranged along the windowsills of the house, and the air was filled with talk and laughter. But on the other side of the house, where all was quiet, two young men stood, about to enter. One was tall and still a little gangly, his flaming red hair sweeping neatly and conservatively behind his ears. The other was about average height, with dark brown eyes and lightly freckled skin, his dark brown hair slightly longer than normal reaching perhaps an inch below the bottom of his ears and meeting the collar of his smart, dark blue shirt.

Henry had taken one step towards the door and paused. His companion took a step closer, placing his hand on Henry’s shoulder.

–Nervous?” Joe asked softly. Henry nodded.

–A bit. I’m not as brave as you,” he said, looking a little ashamed. Joe paused for a moment, and then moved to stand in front of Henry. He waited until Henry met his eyes.

–I think you’re as brave as anyone,” he said, and kissed him. They separated several seconds later.

–Was that for luck?” Henry asked, sounding slightly younger, somehow. Joe’s eyes sparkled with laughter and delight, loving the effect that he had had.

–Yep,” he said, taking Henry’s hand. –And it worked. Come on, let’s go.” And with that the two of them pushed open the door, and entered.

~

When they got to the garden, they were no longer holding hands. Joe bit back a grin; he knew Henry was still fairly shy about the two of them, and he didn’t mind. In fact, he thought that it was quite sweet, but had decided Henry probably wouldn’t take this as a compliment, and so had not told him. However, he did not have time to give this any more thought, because they had been noticed. There was no other way to really describe it, Joe thought - no one had exactly stopped and stared, but Henry was getting several –well, introduce me,” expressions.

–Um, everyone, this is Joe,” Henry said quietly. Joe nodded in greeting. ‘Everyone’ appeared to consist of the maybe ten people in their immediate vicinity.

–Joe, this is my middle sister Elizabeth,” Henry said, gesturing to a pretty, curly-haired girl, –younger brother Matthew, cousins Gideon and Fabian,” a pair of twins, –don’t bother trying to tell them apart, my cousin Oliver,” a bespectacled young man a couple of years older than Henry, who gave Joe a friendly nod, –and of course you know Sarah.” The latter, a young girl as red-haired as the others, had been staring at Joe open-mouthed for almost a whole minute. Joe struggled not to laugh.

–Yeah, I know Sarah,” he said.

–It’s you!” she said, –but you’re - you’re -” for a moment she struggled for words. Then she turned to her brother.

–Henry, you’re going out with my best friend’s older brother!” she exclaimed, looking almost comically indignant. Henry laughed.

–Technically, you’ve become best friends with my boyfriend’s younger sister,” he said, –if we’re going to argue about who got there first.” This got a laugh from everyone, Sarah included.

–But you’re Vicky’s older brother, right?” she said moments later. –I’ve seen you at the train station picking her up!”

–Yep, that’s me,” Joe said, nodding.

–But Vicky never said anything…” Sarah said, looking a little confused. Joe took pity on her.

–Vicky’s only seen Henry around once or twice, and when she worked out he was your older brother she asked me if she should say anything.” He shrugged. –I said Henry hadn’t really come out yet, so although it was up to her maybe she should let him do that in his own time.” Sarah looked appeased by this, understanding the reasoning behind it.

–When did you two start going out, then?” Elizabeth asked. –Henry’s been characteristically mysterious about it.” She gave her brother a hard look. Henry looked at Joe.

–Easter… not last Easter, the Easter before that,” Henry explained. –You know I went to do some language courses in the town?”

The others nodded. Henry had always got his best grades in Ancient Runes, and he had seen some short courses in Ancient Egyptian and Greek during the holidays and asked his parents for that to be a birthday present.

–Well,” Joe said, picking up where Henry had left off, –I was working part time in the shop across the road, and Henry kept turning up to get his lunch. Even not at lunchtime, after a while…” Joe pulled a mock-puzzled face, and everyone laughed again. Henry looked a little bashful, but grinned.

–What?” he said, shrugging. –I couldn’t think of a better excuse to come and talk to you!”

The party was one of the best Joe had ever been to, and Henry’s whole family were friendly and welcoming. He spent most of the first half an hour talking with Henry’s eldest sister, Roberta, because Henry had to disappear briefly to help his dad with something.

–So, I know Vicky’s at Hogwarts, but I’m guessing the rest of your family are muggles?”

Joe nodded.

–More or less,” he replied. –We think Gary - that’s Vicky’s little brother - might get a Hogwarts letter in a year or two, because the same odd stuff happens around him like it did around Vicky.” Joe grinned.

–But not you, then. That’s odd, because siblings tend to be pretty similar…” Roberta sounded curious, but she was polite enough that Joe knew she wouldn’t press him for an answer. He shrugged.

–Well, I’m not technically related to Gary or Vicky,” he began, explaining when he saw her confusion. –Basically, their parents got married and had them, then divorced; my mum married my dad and had me and then they split up; and now my mum and their dad, Graham, are a couple.” Roberta nodded in comprehension.

–That’s pretty much our family,” Joe finished. –It’s not as huge and extended as yours and Henry’s,” he laughed, –but it’s still complicated.”

Roberta laughed too.

–Yeah, our family is huge,” she agreed. –So it’s just you and your mum and your step-family, then?”

–Pretty much,” Joe answered. –Well, Vicky and Gary have their mum and all of her family, but I don’t really know them, so the only other people I’ve got are my Aunt Kathy and Uncle Will, and their kids.”

–Your cousins? Do you know them at all? I know some people think it’s weird that all of us lot,” here she gestured to the crowd of cousins, –know each other so well.”

–I sort of know Sephy,” Joe said, –but I know Casper really well. He lives up in London now, but we’re still in touch, which is great.”

Everyone seemed to have something cheerful or pleasant to say, and the food was amazing. But eventually, at around half-past twelve, people started to trickle home. At around a quarter to one, Joe and Henry were with a few others, lying on their backs in the grass looking up at the stars, when Joe reached over for Henry’s hand and gave it a squeeze. Henry turned his head to look at him.

–Do you have to go now?” he asked softly.

–Don’t have to, but probably should,” Joe said, regretfully. –I’ve had a really great time, though.”

Henry smiled.

After a moment’s star-gazing more, the two of them got slowly to their feet, padded softly back to the house and said their goodbyes, Joe thanking them for having him. Then Henry took him home.

–See you tomorrow?”

–In the afternoon, though,” Joe said, yawning. –Definitely not ‘til the afternoon.”

–Because you won’t be out of bed until then?” Henry asked, eyebrows raised. They were standing on the doorstep of number six together.

–Yep. I will be completely and utterly dead to the world,” said Joe, smiling sleepily. He reached up to give his boyfriend a goodnight kiss, and a few moments later he unlocked the door and quietly slipped into the house. Henry walked a little further away so that the noise of Apparition wouldn’t wake them up, before he returned to Puddles and went to bed.