Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Honestly by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Three - Still Uncomfortable

Since it would look suspicious if the same Order members ate there every night, Dumbledore assigned Jack and Marlene McKinnon to go to the restaurant the next day. After that several others took their turn, before James was assigned to go with Lily again and watch for any suspicious activity.

He thought about asking Remus to go this time, but he couldn't do that to her, not after already working with her once. It had actually turned out to be a nice evening. They had not seen or heard anything suspicious, and in the end, he had enjoyed spending time with her. The logical part of his brain knew it was ridiculous to let himself feel anything, but the rest of him still wanted to see her again, even if it was work, even if it was as friends.

And so they met at the Leaky Cauldron once more, walked the short distance to the restaurant, and surprised Orsino by coming back for another visit four days later. James could tell the Italian was starting to grow nervous with so many Order members in his establishment every night. As an old family friend, James finally reassured Orsino that they were there simply to watch and listen and hopefully stop anything before it happened; if it did, the rest of the Order would be there as fast as possible. They wanted to protect him and his customers.

Orsino seemed only slightly relieved. It was becoming more and more dangerous for Muggle-borns and Squibs, and even had there been no whisperings of a possible attack on Orsino or the restaurant, both would still be potential targets given their close ties to the Muggle community. James wondered if there were any sort of protective spells on the restaurant; Orsino could not have set them himself, but it was worth asking Dumbledore about if it hadn't been done already. It would protect both wizards and Muggles; then again, it might alert their enemies that they were onto them.

As they sat down in the back once more, Lily asked after his friends, and his father, and he asked after her family and her work. They talked a bit about the latest headlines in the Daily Prophet, the war and the difficult time the Wizengamot was having reacting to it, and a lot about the Order and all it was doing to stop Voldemort and his Death Eaters. James was surprised at how much more comfortable it was given that it was only their second assignment together, and he knew he had not buried his feelings completely. Yet he was able to push them far enough aside to act as if everything were almost normal, and they really were friends.

And since they saw nothing suspicious whatsoever, it almost felt like a date this time. Once again James paid and they left the restaurant, making their way back to the Leaky Cauldron and Diagon Alley together. Lily's flat was above an old bookshop at the far end of Diagon Alley--she said she had ultimately felt safer moving to the wizarding area with a friend from school rather than finding a place in Muggle London by herself--and James was going to meet Sirius at Headquarters, where he working as their contact point. James imagined they would likely end up at the Leaky again, though he had no desire to repeat his last trip there.

Too soon they were standing awkwardly at the doorway leading up to her flat. James couldn't help but think that if they were dating, he'd kiss her goodnight, she'd ask him in, and it would go from there. It would be so different than sneaking around Hogwarts. But they were not dating, and he had no idea what to even say; last time they had both Apparated home after a quick goodbye outside of the restaurant.

"How long do you think Dumbledore will have us doing this?" Lily asked, tucking a hair behind her ear. "Not that I don't like sitting around and enjoying good food, but it's been several days now with nothing."

"If Dumbledore thinks something is going to happen at Orsino's, then we could be eating there for a while," James replied. "Dumbledore knows what he's doing. He's got good people out there and if they've heard something, we have to make sure it doesn't happen."

Lily smiled. "Then I won't begrudge the dinner or the company, especially if it's always this easy. Thank you for dinner, James." He glanced up in surprise. "I'm not stupid, you know. I realize the Order doesn't have a coffer to draw on. Thank you for paying for us both. I'll get the next one."

"It's no big deal," he started. "I don't mind at all--"

"Really," she said, laying a hand on his arm, and he almost shivered from the warmth of her touch. "I want to. You've been really good about not letting this be uncomfortable. I appreciate it."

As he gazed down at into her green eyes, her hand still resting gently on his arm, he suddenly wanted to lean forward and kiss her more than anything else in the world at that moment. And if was almost as if the same thought had crossed her mind, because he saw her eyes widen slightly and her lips part, and he could have sworn one--or both--of them started to lean toward the other. Then he shook his head, knowing he could not go there, not again, not after being so completely rejected at Christmas. He stepped back with a small laugh. "Still uncomfortable I think."

Lily coughed and seemed to shake herself out of a trance. "Right. James, I--"

"I have to meet Sirius," he interrupted. "I'll see you in a few days. Maybe things will be a bit more exciting next time. Or maybe you won't have to put up with me anymore."

She smiled, and he thought--or possibly imagined--that there was a touch of regret to it. "Maybe. But I'm fine with just dinner. Good night, James."

She turned to go into her flat, and he watched her leave before blowing out his breath in one frustrated sigh. Once again he knew he shouldn't be seeing her, working so closely with her, yet he couldn't stop, and not because Dumbledore had given them the assignment.

He loved her. And it seemed he couldn't stop hoping that maybe, just maybe, she might love him again someday.

* * *

They walked to the restaurant in silence on Monday, as if their near-kiss earlier in the week had set them back. James didn't know how they'd make it through dinner, but he was determined to set her at ease. He forced himself to relax and put everything from his mind but the assignment and her comfort; so he talked and joked and laughed until she relaxed as well, and they were once again the same two people who had enjoyed their previous dinners together. It was hard, but it was necessary, and they were both better off for it.

He kept a close eye on the room, but once again he did not see anything suspicious. Several witches and wizards came and went while they sat at their table in the back, taking their time over minestrone soup, spinach manicotti, and finally a delicious tiramisu James insisted she try. He loved the delighted look on her face as the first bite passed her lips, and he idly hoped they could continue to work together, just so he could see that look again, somehow, somewhere, even though it stabbed him in the heart every time.

They were just about to settle the cheque when Lily glanced up, froze, then quickly looked away as she finished her drink.

"What is it?" James murmured, trying not to turn in the direction she seemed to be avoiding.

She smiled as she set down her glass and stood. "Possible suspect," she said, still smiling but barely moving her lips. He nodded to indicate he understood; it was perfectly clear she not only recognized someone, but that this person might recognize her. He left the money on the table, forgetting her offer to pay, then took Lily's elbow and guided her out, leaning in close as if suggesting something clandestine and hopefully giving her a bit of cover. She followed his lead perfectly and giggled softly as she leaned her head on his shoulder, a perfect picture of innocent romantic bliss as they linked arms and tried not to hurry out the door.

Once outside, James quickly led Lily around to the alley in back of the restaurant. It had started to snow, and a light dusting had covered everything in a pale white glow. Lily wrapped her hat and scarf around her head as he turned toward her, his mind racing.

"Who did you see?" he asked first. "I didn't recognize anyone as potential trouble."

"Iain Travers." Lily grimaced, but James still drew a blank. "He's been to St. Mungo's twice since Christmas--once right after you did with a nasty gash across his thigh, and then again two weeks ago with a broken arm. He said he got them messing around with his brothers."

James shook his head, still confused. "I can't place him. Why is he a possible suspect?"

"He's at least ten years older than us, so he wouldn't have been at Hogwarts when we were." Lily paused and looked away. "Look, I don't have any proof, but there was something about him that just suggested 'Death Eater' to me. Most normal wizards don't come in with those types of injuries so close together, for one."

"What else?" asked James, trying to decide whether to go back in or send a message to Dumbledore.

"Some of the things he said," Lily replied. "And the way he treated people. It was clear he didn't want certain people helping him with his injuries, and although he didn't come out and say it, I'm fairly sure he's a pureblood who didn't want anyone other than a pureblood treating him."

"Did you say anything to Dumbledore?" James decided to trust her; his instincts told him that her instincts were likely right; they had been good in school, and she'd caught on to the way the Order did things quickly over the past week.

Lily nodded. "I did. It was one of the things that pushed me to join the Order. I don't want wizards like him running around free, hurting other people. He did notget those injuries playing with his brothers."

"Then I'm going to send Dumbledore a message and let him know Travers is hanging around the restaurant. It could just be a coincidence."

"I doubt it," she said, shaking her head. "You didn't treat him. From the way he talked, he wouldn't set foot in a place like this. He must be involved."

"Right. Hang on, then. I still want to hear from Dumbledore before we go rushing back in." He found his wand, took a deep breath, and concentrated. A shining silver stag flowed from the tip of his wand and hovered before him. He cast a second spell, and a glowing orb appeared as well. Taking it in his hands, he held it to his lips and spoke into it. His words filled it with light, and with another silent spell, he gently pushed it into his Patronus, then waved his wand. The silver stag bounded off, bearing his message to Dumbledore.

Lily was watching closely and curiously. "Where did you learn to do that?" she asked. "Not at school, that's for sure."

"Dumbledore taught us," James replied, rubbing his hands to keep warm. He had not brought a hat or gloves and already felt chilled. "He created the spell for the Order last year. It lets us communicate with one another much faster than owls."

"It's brilliant," Lily said. "Can you show me how to do it?"

"Now?" he asked reluctantly. He was waiting on Dumbledore's orders; it didn't seem like the right time to be playing at spells in the alley behind Orsino's when a potential Death Eater might be scouting out the restaurant in front of them.

"We're just waiting here for a response, right?" she asked. "And it might be a few minutes?" When he nodded, she continued, her voice determined. "Then yes, now. I should know how to get in touch with other Order members in case anything happens--tonight or any other night."

James held back a sigh; she was right, after all. And he could never resist that tone of voice. He motioned her to take out her wand and cast a Patronus. A cloud of silver shot from her wand, a vague half-shape that wasn't quite clearly an animal, but not so indistinct as a cloud of silver fluff. She grinned a bit sheepishly, but he could tell she was disappointed and possibly even embarrassed. "It's been a while," she said with a shrug.

"It'll come back to you," he said. At Hogwarts, she had cast a swan Patronus. He knew it wasn't unusual for a wizard's Patronus to change shape, however, and apparently hers was in the process. It would still work; it would just be less recognizable as her own unique Patronus until it was more corporeal again.

He walked her through the spell for creating the golden orb that would hold her words, and showed her how to carefully push it into the silver mist with one last spell so that her Patronus could carry messages. She tried it on her own, the Patronus that flowed from her wand this time a bit larger, more distinct: some sort of four-legged animal, perhaps something similar to his own. He wondered what happy thoughts she was drawing on to create it.

"You picked it up quickly," James said approvingly.

"I had a good teacher," she grinned at him.

He rolled his eyes at her, refusing to take credit. "No, you're a quick study and incredibly good at charms. Really, I don't know why it isn't more corporeal."

She glanced away; he had embarrassed her. "I know, I'm sorry. I'll work on it, I--"

"No," he said, tilting her face back toward him and frowning. "Don't apologize. You're brilliant. It took some members of the Order weeks to get it, including Sirius."

His hand cupped her chin, and he wanted to crash his lips to hers and be damned with the consequences, but something held him back. Instead, he gazed into her eyes a bit longer, and she stared into his, and as the impulse grew stronger, his confidence grew as well, because surely she wouldn't be there with him if she wasn't interested, wouldn't be looking at him like that if she wasn't feeling something. He almost opened his mouth to just ask her, but the opportunity was lost as the alley was suddenly lit up by the appearance of a large silver bird that hovered in the air before them. It spoke with Dumbledore's voice, sounding all the world like a parent who had caught his children misbehaving.

"Return under cover if possible. Talk to Orsino. Gideon will follow."

"What does that mean?" asked Lily. "The last bit, anyway."

James sighed as he stepped away from her before he was tempted to try and reclaim any chance he might have just lost. "It means we need to point out Travers so Gideon can follow him. It means Dumbledore thinks you're right about him, too."

She nodded. "Then how do we walk back in without attracting attention? He'll certainly notice us returning so quickly, and he'll likely recognize me from the hospital."

"We do it like Dumbledore said--undercover. That's why Aurors train in Transfiguration. It's perfect for disguises." James cocked his head and stared at Lily as if studying her; she in turn gave him a skeptical look.

"I'm not an Auror," she said. "And Transfiguration was not my best subject."

"Neither am I," he replied. "But I got an Outstanding in Transfiguration. And Moody had Frank Longbottom show us some tricks in the fall. I should be able to turn us both into slightly different people with a few simple sweeps of my wand."

And just like that, the skeptical look was gone, replaced by a mischievously determined look he remembered well from Hogwarts and realized he had missed terribly. It was both reassuring and heartbreaking to see it, as she had not flashed him that look in so long. Yet it also lightened the serious mood; he felt as if things between them were exactly the way they should be, and he grinned at her. They could do this, with that look.

"Hair color?" he asked, sounding whimsical and not caring if it were inappropriate for the situation.

"Black," she replied almost instantly, and he changed it. She pulled it into a quick but elegant bun at the nape of her neck as he Transfigured his own hair into a deep chestnut brown, along with matching beard and mustache. He'd done it before, and found he liked it little more than he had last time: it itched.

"Clothing?" he asked, and she glanced down before suggesting a forest green cloak instead of brown, a lighter green for the black dress she had been wearing. He changed his own clothing, added a few more changes here and there, and finally stepped back. "How do I look?"

"Glasses," she said, and he nodded as he cast a Disillusionment Charm on them. It felt odd, knowing his glasses were there because he could still the weight on the bridge of his nose, but not being able to see them. Lily was shaking her head.

"This is so, so strange," she finally giggled. She laid a hand on his bearded cheek. "I've never seen you so scruffy-looking."

"You should see yourself. You look positively…Slytherin." He ducked away from her hand, forced a grin, and took her arm. "The only thing is, we have to act a bit differently this time. We can't be the same giddy couple who just left."

"Right. More haughty, then?" He nodded in agreement; they made a good team.

When they entered the restaurant, Orsino led them to a table in the far corner, opposite from where they had been sitting earlier. It was perfect for watching Travers, who was now sitting with a young witch, talking softly and glancing around far too often to not look suspicious. James thought he recognized her, but couldn't place her until Lily finally figured it out.

"That's Elena Rosier!" she exclaimed, barely remembering to keep her voice down. James strained to get a closer look, and when the woman turned and he saw her face, he swore under his breath.

"What's wrong?" asked Lily, eyebrows raised. "Old girlfriend?"

She sounded light-hearted, but he could tell she was offended; if he was not so worried, he could have had a good joke with it, but instead he simply shook his head and smiled a bit tightly. "Not mine."

He watched her visibly relax. "Sirius then?"

"And she's one of them." What she was doing there with Travers could be as innocent as having dinner, but James knew in his gut it wasn't. Lily had told him she thought Travers might be a Death Eater; James knew Elena was. It was not a coincidence that they were dining together at the restaurant rumored to be hit.

"We need backup," he said, leaning close. "Will you be all right for five minutes while I send another message?"

Lily nodded slowly, her eyes scanning the restaurant for more trouble. "I'll be fine. Let them know. It's tonight, isn't it?"

James nodded; she gave him a reassuring smile as he pretended to excuse himself for the loo. As he hurried toward the toilet, he took the opportunity to quickly sweep the Crystal Room; he was dismayed to see two more suspected Death Eaters sitting in a dark corner, heads together and looking as if they were hating every minute of it.

He entered the small room with the toilet and locked the door behind him. Thankful to find a window, he opened it, cast his Patronus and added a quick message, then sent it into the night. He needed immediate orders and began to pace the tiny room, ticking off all possible courses of action in his head.

The hit was that night. There was no way four Death Eaters would be eating there without something going down. They were likely waiting for the entire group to assemble, waiting for the signal to attack. That meant right now he and Lily were the only ones there to stop it unless Dumbledore got his message and was able to send reinforcements immediately. In the meantime, he should probably let Orsino know, and then cast wards, especially for the Muggles--

He was interrupted by the bright silver phoenix bursting into the room. "Sending assistance. Get Orsino to safety. Set wards. Be careful."

James almost laughed at the last, but his mind was too busy to laugh, trying to put Dumbledore's orders into action. He took off his watch and murmured the spell for a Portkey over it, setting it so that if Orsino turned the knob on the side, he would be immediately whisked to St. Mungo's. He left the toilet and hurried across the foyer into the kitchen, where several of the staff gave him startled looks.

"Sorry," he said, though he wasn't because he was in a hurry. "Where can I find Orsino?"

The big burly chef stepped out from behind a large shelf filled with fresh vegetables, a frown on his face. "I am Orsino and I very busy. We do not normally allow customers back here."

James took his elbow and guided him toward the corner, dropping the spell on his glasses for just a moment. "Orsino, it's me, James Potter." The older man stared at him in surprise, but James continued; there was no time to explain his disguise. "You're in danger, and we think it's going to happen tonight."

To his credit, Orsino did not panic. He swallowed, took a deep breath, and nodded. "What do you want me to do?"

James clapped him on the back. "We're taking care of it. You just act like nothing is going on or they'll know. And take this." He handed him the watch and explained. "This is a Portkey. If anything happens, turn the knob and you'll be taken to St. Mungo's. They might be after you, they might be after the restaurant, but they won't follow you there. So either way, this will keep you safe."

Orsino looked offended and began to protest, but James stopped him. "Don't argue. You have no wand to fight back. If you've been following the Prophet you know what you're up against. Let us protect you." The older man's shoulders slumped as he nodded reluctantly. Yet James noticed that he did not put on the watch; rather, he pocketed it away, as if he were disinclined to even acknowledge it let alone use it.

"Also, you'll probably see a few more of us drifting in," James continued.

"Us?" asked Orsino.

"The good guys." James grinned as his adrenaline began to flow. He was ready. "And we're going to set a few wards, just to be safe. All right?"

"If you must. Thank you, James," Orsino replied with a sigh. "You're a good man. Your father would be proud."

"Depends on how things turn out," James muttered to himself as he walked away. He could only hope Orsino would carry on as if he knew nothing, and that he would use the Portkey if anything went wrong. And as he stepped back into the foyer and made his way back to the Oak Room, James knew something was very, very wrong. He noticed another Death Eater, Borman Wilkes, sitting by himself, pretending to study the menu before a dark-skinned witch sat down to join him.

They were outnumbered three to one now; he hoped help arrived soon.

Lily was tense when he sat down. "There are more," she said softly, making every effort to appear casual, but James knew: he felt it too. There was such an electric tension in the air that he wondered that every witch or wizard couldn't feel it right then. Yet most of the other diners were talking and laughing, enjoying their night out. James would have given almost anything to be one of them: the anticipation was both energizing and draining.

"I know," he said. "Dumbledore is sending reinforcements. Hopefully it won't start until they get here."

"And if it does?" she asked, and he could hear both the fear and the steely determination in her voice.

"Then we fight," he replied just as evenly. "And we do the best we can. In fact, how are you at protective Shield Charms?"

She raised an eyebrow. "I got an Outstanding in Charms, remember? What do we need it for? The whole building?"

"No." He shook his head. "People might feel it in here. Just the other room. Can you do that? Set a few wards without anyone noticing?"

She nodded and set down her napkin. "Of course I can do that. Excuse me, I need to use the loo," she added a bit more loudly.

He stood as she left, then sat down and glanced around the room again, his nerves jangling as he let his foot bounce nervously. As his eyes swept past Iain Travers and Elena Rosier, she looked up and saw him watching. She grinned, leaned toward Travers, and stood. And then she walked right toward him.

He realized he had forgot to Disillusion his glasses again. The rest of his disguise was still good, but if Elena was looking out for Order members, she would likely see right through a simple change in his hair color and a beard; she knew him, after all.

She sat down in Lily's empty chair and tapped long red nails on the tablecloth. "James Potter, I presume?" Laughing at her own joke, she tossed long black hair over her shoulder and leaned forward conspiratorially. "Where's your other half, Potter? Sirius too busy sleeping around for information tonight to join you?"

James thought about bluffing his way out and immediately dismissed it. He calmly took a sip of some water. "Hello, Elena. And no, he's not out shagging for secrets. You were a special case."

She pursed her lips tightly, obviously offended. "Fat lot of good it did him--or you, I should say. He missed all the fun that night, while you took all those Stunners to the heart." She made a clicking sound with her tongue and cocked her head. "And here you are once more, only he's about to miss it all again."

James felt his eyes widen slightly; she laughed as she stood. "Have a nice date with your girlfriend, James. It might be your last."

She turned and stepped straight into a large man with dark hair and bright blue eyes. Only because James knew Gideon Prewett was on his way did he recognize the older man's features beneath his disguise. He nodded in acknowledgment, relieved for at least some backup, and a good man at that.

"Excuse me," Gideon apologized, then leaned closer, his eyes hard, his voice low. "But I don't think so."

She glanced up at him with narrowed eyes, then pushed past him and returned to her own table. Gideon sat down next to James.

"What's the situation?" he asked quietly, glancing around the room to assess it. James filled him in.

"I've counted at least six possible Death Eaters, possibly more. I've spoken to Orsino. I gave him a Portkey to use if anything happens and he can't defend himself or is hurt. Lily is setting wards on the other dining room, as that's where most of the Muggles are." He ran a hand across his chin, almost forgetting the scratchy beard there. "Other than that, we're just waiting--for more of you to arrive, and one of them to start."

"Great date," Gideon murmured with a wink.

"It's not a date," James snapped back, then immediately shook his head and apologized. "I'd much rather be on a date somewhere safe, but I'm here and I'm with Lily and I have to make sure she's all right."

"I told you I can take care of myself, Potter," Lily said as she rejoined them. Gideon laughed as he held out his hand and introduced himself, though they had met once before, at St. Mungo's. She smiled at him, but gave James a challenging look.

"The wards are set. What's next?"

"Two more sat down while you were gone," he said. "So that's six we know of inside, with the three of us to defend." He glanced around the room. "And whatever wizards don't just Apparate away as soon as it starts."

"You really think it's tonight?"

James didn't have a chance to answer, because as soon as she spoke, it started. The lights went out, everyone screamed, and almost immediately the room was filled with jets of red and yellow and purple.

The battle had begun.

* * *
Chapter Endnotes: And now my favorite: a wizarding battle, only set in an Italian restaurant. Be careful next time you eat out. ;)