Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Honestly by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Four - Teamwork

The wards that Lily had set on the Crystal Room held. For some reason, that was the first thing James noticed, even in the dark. No spells crossed the threshold, but he knew there were already two Death Eaters in the opposite room, and he could see them casting their own curses. They needed to be stopped before the Muggles dining in there were literally slaughtered at their tables.

"Gideon!" James called as he ran toward the other room. "I've got to get to the other ones. Stay with Lily!"

"Dammit, James!" Lily shouted at his back as he left, ducking his way through the dark. Around him, he could hear the sounds of several wizards Apparating to safety; he hoped one or two stayed to fight, given the poor odds against them. He also heard one or two cry out and fall, and he couldn't blame those who chose to escape with their lives instead. "I can take care of myself. I'm not some helpless bint--"

She was cut off as a wicked jet of red light sped toward her; she blocked it with a growl and a Shield Charm. James turned back toward her, but before he could take a step, she slashed her wand through the air, and Elena Rosier crashed to the floor in a Full Body Bind. He grinned, impressed even though he shouldn't have been, and still wishing she wasn't there, risking her life. "Good one, Evans."

"Sod off, Potter," she snapped back, but he heard the flush of victory in her voice as well. "Take the other room--we've got this one." In the light of another spell that Gideon deflected, James saw her standing side-by-side with him, their wands pointed at Travers, Wilkes, and the dark-skinned witch.

James didn't answer but sprinted across the foyer into the Crystal Room. He sent a sphere of light toward the ceiling, eliminating the advantage of darkness so he could at least know who they were fighting. He could also see the casualties: it appeared that at least half a dozen Muggles had run for the door and made it out. Several others were hiding beneath their tables, but a few had already been hit. A old woman held a man's head in her lap, sobbing as she tried to stop the bleeding from a deep head wound. A couple at a table near the front of the room were lying on the floor next to their chairs, eyes staring lifelessly at the ceiling, and James felt a white-hot anger explode within him that these innocent people--couples out on a romantic date, families enjoying dinner with one another--were being hurt and killed simply because they were Muggles, in the wrong place at the wrong time. The two Death Eaters in the room fired brutally on them all; he was determined to bring them down.

James fired a Disarming Spell toward the corner where they stood, one of them laughing hideously as she cast another curse at the Muggles still trying to flee. Two of the waiting staff fell, struck in the back by the Killing Curse as they tried to help a family of five in the opposite corner. James cast a quick Shield Charm at their table and hoped it held; he pushed aside the guilt that he was too late for Orsino's staff.

Moving closer, James finally recognized Bellatrix Lestrange, long black hair flowing wildly around her as she cackled with glee. Her husband stood with her, and James felt his anger flare: he had a history with the Lestranges, a history that was growing with each new encounter he had with the cruel couple.

He also realized that if the Lestranges were involved, it was possible that others he knew were as well--Dante Avery or his brother Pietro, who had close ties to the Lestrange family. Severus Snape had gone over and joined Voldemort's cause with his Slytherin gang the moment he had left Hogwarts; was he there somewhere too, in disguise? Was Lily fighting her old childhood friend in the room next door?

The thought distracted him, and a spell from Bellatrix caught him on the side of his leg, sending him crashing to his knees in pain. He ducked behind a table where two Muggles huddled beneath the linen tablecloth, their faces terrified as they clung to one another, completely defenseless. Nearby, another body lay contorted in death. James tried to give the couple a reassuring nod as he stood to face his opponents, ignoring his injured leg. Rodolphus grinned as he threw a Blasting Curse at him, but James blocked it; Rodolphus was apparently not quite as powerful as his wife. He stumbled as James sent back three quick spells, finally managing to hurl him backward across the table where he had been sitting earlier, a trickle of blood coming from his nose as he fell to the floor, unconscious.

Bellatrix screamed, but instead of lashing out at James, she obliterated a nearby table where three more Muggles cowered, sending broken shards of glass and wood spinning into the air and crashing down around them. Before she could cast another devastating spell, her wand was blasted out of her hand, and she was quickly felled by a powerful Stunner: Frank Longbottom stood behind him, with Alastor Moody and Dorcas Meadows in the foyer. Shifting awkwardly to put his weight on his uninjured leg, James nodded in acknowledgment as Moody directed Dorcas to the back to check on Orsino and the kitchen staff. James hoped the owner had used the Portkey by now.

Moody turned toward the Oak Room, but before he even raised his wand, he crumpled to the ground. Four more Death Eaters--these four masked--had burst into the restaurant through the front door. The scattered Muggles still hiding beneath their tables screamed again. James stared at the entryway, momentarily stunned at the sudden turn the battle had taken, before he lifted his wand and Stunned one of the new combatants; the others began moving out, one toward the kitchen, one toward the Oak Room, and one toward the Crystal Room.

"Get to Moody!" Frank shouted. "And set an Anti-Apparition Jinx so more can't arrive. I'll hold this room." He quickly began to set more protective charms around the room for the remaining Muggles, and when the masked man who had moved into the Crystal Room realized he could not harm them, he started dueling Frank instead.

James cast an Anti-Apparation Jinx as best as he could over the two rooms and stumbled into the foyer. Moody was unconscious, and the Reviving Spell James tried did nothing to bring him back. A quick glance around the Oak Room told him that most of the other wizards dining that night had Apparated away as soon as the fight had started. Only two other wizards had stayed to help: James recognized Edgar Bones, a Hit Wizard from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. He was dueling the dark-skinned witch while a woman James suspected was his wife moved around the room on her hands and knees, helping two of the wait staff who had been injured; a third lay dead beside them.

Lily and Gideon were facing Travers, Wilkes, and one of the masked Death Eaters. They were fighting furiously, both sides refusing to back off. James ducked a strong Stunning Spell from Wilkes as he dashed into the Oak Room to Lily's side. "Can you revive Moody? We need him."

She stared at him, wide-eyed. A spell flew past her left ear, but she barely noticed.

"Lily!" he said, and he almost took her shoulders to shake her, but she snapped out of it and nodded. "I'll cover you."

"Disillusion me after I fall," she said, her voice steadier than her look. James was impressed; she was still thinking clearly, which was more than he could say for his first big confrontation as a full-fledged Order member. He felt his heart swell with pride at how strong she was. Remus had been right: they needed someone like her.

Lily let herself fall awkwardly to the ground; Gideon glanced down and swore, thinking she had been hit, but James murmured a reassurance and stepped forward as if he were protecting her body. He cast a Disillusionment Charm behind his back, and immediately felt her invisible presence move away toward Moody. He joined Gideon in blocking the spells coming their way, and he threw back as many as he could, as hard as he could.

Gideon took a hard hit to his shoulder before he swore vehemently and finally took out Travers with a Stunner that sent him crashing against the wall. That left two, but suddenly, Wilkes and the final Death Eater went down, and the room was quiet. Alastor Moody stood in the foyer with Lily, their wands raised. He gave a satisfied grunt, while she looked like she was going to collapse. The four of them glanced around the room in silence, until a loud crash from the other side sent them rushing into the Crystal Room.

Frank Longbottom was standing over the man he had been dueling, holding a bloody hand to his chest. The Lestranges were nowhere to be seen; apparently they had regained consciousness, blasted the window and leapt out, leaving behind their unconscious comrades. There was another loud crash behind them, and at least three Death Eaters from the Oak Room did the same, escaping into the night. Frank looked ready to jump out the window and go after them all.

"Stand down, Longbottom," Moody growled. "They'll have Apparated by now anyway. Time to clean up."

James limped over to Lily, who seemed uninjured except for a few cuts and scrapes. He couldn't help it: he threw his arms around her, and she clung to him just as fiercely. He didn't want to ever let go; he couldn't imagine what he would do if something had happened to her. Gideon came by and clapped them both on the shoulder.

"All right, you're all alive. The group hug is over," Moody snapped. "If you're standing, there's work to do. Where's Dorcas?"

Dorcas Meadowes stepped out from the kitchen right then, a stunned look on her face as she moved slowly and unsteadily. Lily gasped, because the other woman was deathly pale and covered in blood.

"It's not mine," she whispered, glancing down at her crimson hands. "But Orsino--I tried, only I was too late, and I don't know if he--" She trailed off, obviously in shock.

"Evans, you're a Healer, get back there," Moody ordered. "Potter, go with her and get them to St. Mungo's."

Lily hurried toward the back, but James stopped as three more people burst through the front door. He whirled around with Moody and Gideon, all three of them with their wands raised. Sirius stared back at them, Caradoc Dearborn and Alice Longbottom by his side.

"Looks like we missed a hell of a party," he remarked, glancing around and lowering his wand. Alice ran over to Frank and embraced him; Moody snorted at them both.

"You're here just in time to clean it up, Black. You know the drill. Gideon, get us some Obliviators for these Muggles." Gideon held a hand to his injured shoulder, but he nodded and hurried out the door. James knew he was Apparating to the Ministry. A team of Oblivators would be there within minutes to deal with the Muggles: there were the dead and injured to attend to, and the Muggles who had survived would all need to have their memories modified after what they had experienced that night.

Sirius walked up to him. "Nice beard," he said, and James gave him an exasperated look. Sirius grinned. "Okay, fine. Are you all right?" he asked instead. "And where's Evans?"

James nodded as he dropped the disguise he hardly remembered he'd been wearing. "Yes, I'm fine. Lily is in the back with Orsino. I think he was hit hard." He hurried toward the kitchen, but when he heard Sirius laugh behind him, he turned to see what could possibly be humorous at such a time. Caradoc had hauled Elena Rosier to her feet and bound her hands behind her back. She was glaring daggers at Sirius as if he were Godric Gryffindor himself. Sirius sidled up to her with a smirk, and James left, not the least bit interested in that particular confrontation knowing the history between them.

When he stepped into the kitchen, he almost lost his footing: the floor was slick with blood. "Godric's Galleons," he whispered. "What the hell happened back here?"

Lily was on the kneeling on the floor trying to help Orsino. He was pale and unconscious, and both of them were covered in blood. Dorcas was standing above them, rubbing her arms as she watched Lily work, brown eyes wide. James could see that Dorcas was shaking, and he hurried over.

"Are you hurt?" he asked, touching her elbow. She jumped. Normally calm and collected, James was unnerved to see Dorcas so rattled. It must have been bad--worse than up front. There was not nearly so much blood up front.

"I'm fine," she whispered, but she didn't look away from Orsino. "I was just too late."

"What happened?" James asked again, this time more gently.

"When I got back here, two of the staff were already dead. The Death Eaters had come in the back door. Orsino stabbed one." She stopped to take a deep breath. "He was trying to protect his people, trying to give them time to get them out. But then the other one hit him so hard. I think it was some sort of Severing Charm."

James stared down at Orsino; it looked as if his arm were almost completely destroyed. That was the source of the blood. He swallowed a surge of bile as Dorcas continued.

"I cast a Reductor Curse," she whispered. "The man who hit him is dead...very dead. The others got away, but I was too late for them, for Orsino…"

Lily glanced up and gave him a look that clearly said he needed to do something. James turned Dorcas toward him and awkwardly wrapped his arms around her; Lily nodded in approval. He could feel the other woman's heart racing against his chest as he rubbed her back, willing her to calm down. It was hard: she had walked into a bloody ambush and killed a man. It was a wonder she was still standing.

"What about the one who came through the restaurant?" he asked softly. "What happened to him?"

Dorcas shook her head. "I think I hit him, but he got away. I'm sorry."

She turned her head away, but he squared her shoulders and looked straight into her eyes; they were still wide, still stunned. "Don’t be. You saved a lot of lives tonight."

Dorcas nodded but did not respond. She stepped away, staring at Orsino once more.

"We need to get him to St. Mungo's," Lily said quietly. She glanced up at James, her face unreadable. "Can you Apparate?"

James nodded; he was tired and sore but otherwise uninjured except for his leg. "Do you need help?" he asked.

"No," she said. "I've stopped the bleeding and set a spell for the pain. I can Side-Along with him. Will you bring Dorcas? She needs to see someone--she's in shock."

"I know," he murmured. Dorcas did not protest as he took her hand. "We'll be right behind you."

And just like that, it was over: the battle had been won, but at what price?

* * *

Several hours later, James left St. Mungo's and Apparated back to Diagon Alley. The superficial injury to his leg had been taken care of, and all he wanted was a strong drink at the Leaky Cauldron. Sirius was already there with Remus and Peter, having done what he could at Orsino's to help after missing most of the battle. Alastor Moody had supervised the cleanup: the Muggles in the restaurant had been treated for their injuries and then Obliviated by wizards from the Ministry. For them, it had been some sort of gas explosion. The dead had been given over to the Muggle authorities investigating the tragic accident. Frank and Alice Longbottom had taken the prisoners to Azkaban to be questioned in the morning. The rest of them had begun to put back Orsino's restaurant as best as they could without arousing suspicion.

Caradoc and Gideon soon joined them at their table, and together they had a moment of silence for the two wizards who had been killed, a young witch out for dinner with her fiancée. Gideon said she had been in the same year as Frank Longbottom; James vaguely remembered her as a sunny-faced Hufflepuff prefect. Remus asked after Orsino.

"He's in bad shape," James replied, nursing the glass of Firewhiskey he had ordered; now that he had it, he didn't particularly want it. More than anything, he wanted to go back to the hospital and see Lily, but he knew she was busy: she had refused to leave Orsino's side as the Senior Healers had begun treating him. "Dorcas said he was hit by a Severing Charm. It damn near took off his arm. He lost of blood, and Lily said the Healers aren't sure they can--well, save it." He took a deep breath, still slightly stunned by the gruesome injury. "He could still lose it."

There was another moment of silence. "How's Lily?" asked Peter. "Sirius didn't think she was hurt."

"She wasn't," James replied. He pictured Lily at her strongest, fighting back and taking down two Death Eaters on her own, and he shook his head in amazement. "She was brilliant."

"And Dorcas?" asked Sirius, ignoring the opportunity to take the piss like he normally would when James said something sentimental about Lily. "She didn't look good from what I saw."

"She doesn't have a scratch on her," said Caradoc. "But she needed a Calming Draught for them to even check to make sure. She's really upset. Adriam is with her." He glanced at James with a questioning look. "I heard it was bad in the kitchen."

Everyone turned toward James again. He didn't want to, but he told them about the bloody scene in the back. "Really, it's a wonder more people weren't killed. Between Dorcas and Orsino, they saved a lot of lives." Of course Orsino hadn't used the Portkey; he had done everything he could to protect his people, not flee.

"She doesn't see it that way," murmured Caradoc, and James nodded. He had never killed anyone in battle, but he could only imagine how hard it must be to actually take a life. He hoped he never had to, that it never came to that.

"I know," he said. "But Orsino got three of his workers out before he was hit. One was found in the storage closet with a few of the wait staff. So if she hadn't hit the one she did, they could all be dead."

"How many were killed?" asked Remus, his voice bleak, his face still tired and gaunt from the full moon the night before. For a long moment, no one answered, until Gideon finished his drink, motioned for a new one, and finally answered.

"Five Muggles, two wizards, and five staff from the restaurant. Plus two Death Eaters." He blew out a breath. "A lot of injuries, but near half escaped unhurt. It could have been worse."

"How many were there?" asked Peter. "Death Eaters, I mean."

"There were a six in the restaurant with me, Lily, and Gideon," said James. "Including the Lestranges. And then Moody showed up with Frank and Dorcas, only four more appeared right on their heels. Plus the two that came in the back. So a dozen."

"Well, we got four of them," said Sirius. He had a bit of a feral grin as he said it. "Including Elena Rosier. She looked good in handcuffs." Peter sputtered as James and Gideon laughed; Remus just rolled his eyes. "Plus Wilkes and two others. The rest escaped--except the two in the kitchen, of course."

"So it really could have been worse," Peter murmured.

"Thank Merlin James and Lily were there," said Caradoc.

"No, thank Merlin Lily recognized Iain Travers as a possible Death Eater," said James. "That's why we sent word to Dumbledore. That's why we went back in. If we hadn't, it could have been a complete bloodbath."

Again, everyone was silent. James hated to give himself that much credit, but it was true: if they hadn't been there, hadn't called for help, a lot more people would be probably be dead, and it was all thanks to Lily's suspicion of Travers.

As they each dwelled on their own thoughts, Lily walked up with Frank and Alice Longbottom. Frank was sporting a large bandage on his hand, but his wife appeared unharmed; she hovered next to him, holding tightly to his arm as if afraid to let go. Lily looked drained, yet James could tell from experience that she wasn't ready to sleep: she needed to talk. He stood and offered her his chair, pulling over another to sit beside her.

"How's Orsino?" he asked immediately, knowing she would have more recent news. She ran a hand through her hair--long returned to its normal fiery auburn and loose around her shoulders--and blew out a long breath.

"He's in pretty bad shape," she replied. She ordered a glass of elf wine from a nearby waitwitch; James raised his eyebrows. "What? It's been a long night."

"Yes, it has," he replied with an understanding smile. "Tell us more."

"His left arm was almost completely severed," she said. Her voice was very matter-of-fact; everyone else around the table looked horrified. "The Healers have done their best to save it, but he might not be able to use his hand. It just depends on how he heals."

"How's Dorcas?" asked Caradoc. "She was with Adriam when I left."

And now Lily's face fell, almost crumpling to tears. "She's devastated. She's blaming herself for not saving the kitchen staff who were killed, for Orsino's injury, for the Death Eater she hit." She paused and her look changed to one more fierce. "Even though he deserved it."

"Here, here," murmurmed Sirius, raising his glass.

"She's staying overnight," Lily continued. "I'll check on her and Orsino tomorrow. There were two others wizards who were injured as well but they should recover."

The table lapsed into silence. It was several hours past midnight and everyone was exhausted, but obviously reluctant to leave. It was as if being together, even in silence, was the best comfort they needed at that moment. They nursed their drinks as the pub began to clear out. James soon felt his eyelids drooping; it was all he could do to stay awake.

"I almost forgot--Dumbledore wants a meeting tomorrow night," said Frank. "Headquarters at seven o'clock."

"In the middle of the week?" asked Peter. "Must be serious."

"I didn't do anything," said Sirius, and he managed half a smile. "At least not this time."

The entire table groaned and one by one they stood to leave. Frank and Alice left first, followed quickly by Peter and Caradoc. Sirius tried to keep them talking, but soon Remus stood and took his leave as well, looking dead on his feet, and Sirius fell unusually silent. Normally James would head home with Sirius, but he did not want to leave Lily alone. He was surprised she was still there, and even more surprised when she laid her head on his shoulder.

"I should go," she murmured, but she did not move to leave. James almost put his arm around her, but stopped himself, unsure of her response.

Sirius gave him a pointed look from across the table, then coughed to get their attention as he stood. "Me too. I'll see you back at the flat, Prongs." He hurried out before James could even say goodnight, leaving him alone with Lily.

He wouldn't have minded staying there with her, but the barman had cleaned every table except for theirs; it was obvious he wanted to close. They left reluctantly, Lily walking unusually close to him as they stepped into the cold night.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" he asked, wanting her to say yes yet hoping she would say no because he was both tired and confused.

She shook her head. "No, I'm just going to Apparate. I'm too tired to walk. But thank you."

"Anytime," he replied as nonchalantly as he could, trying to hide his disappointment and relief. "Just be safe."

She gave him that same challenging look she had given him in the restaurant before the world had gone to hell. "Haven't I proved that I can take care of myself?"

He laughed, the tension he'd been feeling all night bursting forth unexpectedly in release. "Yes, you did. I'm sorry. I can't help it."

"I know," she said. She stepped closer and James felt his breath hitch at her nearness. "You were amazing tonight," she said softly.

"So were you," he replied, hoping he sounded sincere. He had been so impressed as with how she had handled herself at Orsino's that he couldn't imagine not spending every assignment with her. "The way you took down Elena, revived Moody, helped Orsino. You were brilliant."

She smiled almost shyly as she glanced at him through her eyelashes. "Well, we made a good team, I thought."

He nodded, though he felt a lump in his throat because he knew she didn't mean it in the way he hoped. "Yes, we did."

"Maybe we'll get to do it again sometime," she continued. "Only without a dozen Death Eaters crashing our dinner."

He stared at her; she couldn't possibly be suggesting what he thought, what he wanted so badly--could she? He swallowed thickly, fatigue blurring his thoughts more and more, and tried to smile at her. "I hope so," he managed.

"Me too, James," she said, and she kissed him on the cheek, sending his thoughts spiraling into confusion once more. "Go home and get some rest. I'll see you at the meeting tomorrow."

He simply nodded as she stepped back and Apparated to her flat. He gazed out into the night, wondering what exactly had happened, before he decided he just couldn't think about it after everything else. He needed to clean up. He needed to sleep.

And he needed to stop thinking about Lily as anything more than a partner, more than a friend. It just wasn't meant to be.

* * *
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you SO SO MUCH to the amazing Soraya/babewithbrains, who jumped in to go over this battle and help me keep it straight. She cleared some things up and made some amazing suggestions, so any mistakes or just bad parts in general are all my own! I did, however, draw a floor plan of the restaurant with a table-by-table headcount, so I have a good idea of what happened. I just hope it was clear enough.
Dropbox mangled chapter five, but it shouldn't take me long to piece it back together. Thank you for reading and reviewing! :)