Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never Let Go by majestic_ginny

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I'm no JK Rowling.

And no reviews for the last two chapters? I'm sad now :(.



Teddy returned home from Hogwarts at around ten that night. It was too late to go to the Ministry, and frankly, he was really tired himself. All he wanted to do was turn on the shower and step under the gush of warm water, something that always calmed him down. Fumbling with the knot of his travelling cloak, he managed to untie it and sloppily threw it on the couch, deciding to tidy up the following day when he was less beaten down. He didn’t even notice that his living room was already clean; when Victoire had left a couple of days before, he hadn’t bothered to tidy the mess of parchment and quills he had made under the coffee table -- but somehow they had all magically disappeared while he was not at home.

Kicking off his shoes, Teddy padded up to his room in his socks. When he reached the door, he turned the cold bronze door-knob and stepped in. The room was dark; he flicked his wand once, performing a silent Lumos, and the room lit up. That’s when he noticed that his usually messy room was squeaky clean. The garbage that usually covered the floor was now inside the bin (which looked like it was about to overflow), and his robes and Muggle clothes from the previous day were folded and suspended by a hanger from the handle of his wardrobe. The books he had been reading the previous night, Curses For Fun And Profit and Mystical Weapons Of The Mediterranean, had been neatly stacked on his bedside table. Even the bed sheets had been changed and looked pretty non-wrinkly.

Teddy was now confused. He had not left his room so clean that morning. Putting his hands on his hips, he frowned; how on earth had his room become so neat?

A second later, when the bathroom door opened with a creak, he got his answer.

Teddy turned around. –I should’ve known it was you,” he said, grinning, as he spotted the culprit.

Victoire walked forwards, wiping her hands on a wad of tissue paper. Her hair was tied in a high ponytail at the top of her head, the hair falling in graceful curls along the side of her face. –And I should’ve known how untidy you are,” she chastised, looking at him in disapproval, which would’ve been pretty believable had it not been for the hint of a smile tugging at the corner of her lips. –I came over and I saw the house was filthy, so I decided to clean up for you.”

–Clean freak,” Teddy muttered, before wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close. Victoire gasped at the sudden movement, but a second later she giggled, hiding her face in the crook of his neck. Teddy’s hair turned a brilliant shade of turquoise as he felt her warm breath on his skin.

–Really, you are one,” he said, kissing her head. –You’re gonna have a hell of a lot of trouble if you ever decide to live with me. You’d be cleaning all day.”

–That’s sad,” she said, looking up at him with her big blue eyes, a small pout on her lips. Teddy resisted the urge to kiss them. –I guess I won’t be moving in with you then, if I have to act like a House-elf.”

–Suit yourself,” Teddy teased. –Your nights wouldn’t be boring anymore if you lived with me.”

Victoire blushed, and Teddy kissed her cheeks. –Don’t worry; you don’t have to move in if you don’t want to. Besides, I don’t want to die at your father’s hands.”

–I don’t have to tell him I’m moving in for that,” she said, her eyes twinkling. –If he knew what we got up to, he’d kill you anyway.”

–Oh, really? What is that?” Teddy asked, his voice turning low and husky. He couldn’t resist her anymore. He captured her lips in a kiss, feeling her soft, warm lips on his. Closing his eyes, he ran his fingers through her soft, blonde hair. He felt her kiss him back deeply, her soft tongue licking his lower lip, demanding entrance. He obliged.

For a minute, they stood like that, tongues exploring each other’s mouths. Victoire caressed his face with one hand, her soft palm against his scraggy cheek. Her thumb stroked his skin lightly, while her other hand drew lazy circles on his back. Teddy hugged her as close to him as he could, trying to remove every bit of distance between them. Their bodies fitted together perfectly. He wanted to hold her to him forever, to love her as much as he could. She was his life.

–I love you,” Victoire murmured against his lips.

Teddy smiled. –Me too,” he whispered into the kiss.

Victoire closed her eyes and softly bit his lower lip. Teddy immediately felt all his fatigue being washed away, replaced by a wave of passion, love and lust. His mind started to get foggy, and all he could focus on was her. In a flash, he lifted her off the ground and threw her onto the bed, climbing on top of her, pinning her down against the mattress. Victoire moaned against his lips, her fingers tugging at his white shirt.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he remembered what they had been talking about. –Show me,” he murmured, accentuating each word with a kiss on her lips. –What. We. Get. Up. To.”

And she did exactly that.



Later that night, they cuddled together on Teddy’s bed, the fresh covers completely messed up and decidedly wrinklier than before. Teddy didn’t mind, though. In fact, he had thoroughly enjoyed doing the very thing that had wrinkled up the sheets.

He looked down at Victoire. He loved the way her blonde hair was splayed across his bare chest as she rested her head there. His arms were wrapped protectively around her fragile form, and hers were tucked in under the sides of his waist. She breathed slowly and deeply, and he could feel her warm breath on his sweaty skin.

He loved every bit of it, and he thanked the heavens for giving him such an angel. She was beautiful.

–What time is it?” Victoire mumbled slowly, her eyes fluttering.

Teddy craned his neck to look up at the wall clock. –It’s a little past midnight. Do you want to go home?”

Victoire shook her head, and his heart soared. –No, I think I might stay for the night,” she replied softly. –I told Maman I was coming here. She promised she wouldn’t tell Dad.”

–That was really nice of her,” Teddy replied. He was grateful towards Fleur for allowing Victoire to stay with him. Such nights were rare.

–Hmm, it was. I’ve really missed you, you know?” Victoire said, and Teddy could imagine her lower lip sticking out in a pout. –It’s been a while since we’ve sat down and talked properly. I don’t even know what you’re doing nowadays.”

Teddy sighed, removing one arm from around her and using his hand to run his fingers through her hair. He knew this would come up soon. –I’ve been busy, with Lucy’s case and everything. I leave early and come back late. I’m sorry I haven’t been giving you much time.”

Victoire smiled and nuzzled closer to him. –It’s okay. I’ve just hadn’t had you to myself for a while, but I know you’re wrapped up in work. How is everything going?”

”It’s pretty much a mess. Harry’s off the case, and he’s furious. He’s quite upset about James as well. I would’ve gone to him tonight, but I’m sure he’s gone home by now. It’s better if I go early tomorrow morning and catch him before people start flooding in.”

–Did you get any new leads?” asked Victoire, her voice a little less sleepy. Her eyes were open.

Teddy nodded. –I went to Hogwarts today.”

Victoire rolled over onto the empty side of the bed and pulled up the blanket to cover herself properly. Once she was satisfied, she sat up in a way so that her elbows supported her body weight and looked up at Teddy. –And? You found anything?”

–I talked to Professor Longbottom and Madam Patil,” Teddy replied, bringing himself to a sitting position with his arms and resting his back against the headboard. It creaked under his weight. –They both believe James didn’t do it. Madam Patil even said that Lucy didn’t tell James about the baby.”

He paused, trying to gather his thoughts. Victoire looked at him anxiously. –I did talk to Lucy’s best mate as well,” Teddy went on, –who was there with Lucy when she got the news of her pregnancy. She confirmed that James wasn’t with her. She also told me that Lucy was going to tell James about it on the day of the party at your Grandma Molly’s -- that is, the day Lucy died. She’s pretty sure Lucy hadn’t told him before that, because she thinks Lucy would have told her if she had.”

–So that means...”

–James was telling the truth when he said he had no idea,” Teddy affirmed.

Victoire blew out a sigh of relief. –Teddy, that means James couldn't have killed Lu! If he had no idea about the baby, then he couldn't have poisoned her with specifically an abortifacient. The poison was in her system before the holidays started, wasn’t it?”

Teddy smiled. –Yep,” he said, popping the P. –If all goes well, James will be out by tomorrow.”

–Thank Merlin,” Victoire said. Then, however, she frowned. –But you don’t really have any leads on who actually did it yet?”

Teddy shook his head, and Victoire looked a little dejected. –But we will. I promise.”

–I believe you.” She grabbed the pillow from above her head and rested her head on it. –We should get to sleep now. I have to in to St Mungo’s early tomorrow, or Healer Gifford will have my hide. He hates it if the trainees arrive after he does.”

–You’re right. I need to sleep too.”Teddy kissed the top of her head. –Goodnight, love.”

–Goodnight, Teddy Bear.”

Turning off the light with a flick of his wand, Teddy wrapped an arm around Victoire and slowly fell asleep to the sound of her slow breathing.



Breakfast the following morning had been quite smooth, with no burnt toasts of half-cooked bacon. Victoire, or rather Fleur, had managed everything. The two of them had come down to find warm pancakes and bread-and-jam already served on the table. Teddy had this sneaking feeling Fleur had sent their House-elf over with the meal. After breakfast was over and the dishes done (without any water fights, Teddy thanked -- Victoire had a habit of starting those), they kissed goodbye and Victoire Flooed to St Mungo’s, while Teddy went off to the Ministry.

As he stepped out of one of the fireplaces that lined the walls of the Atrium, Teddy almost stumbled into a wizard who looked like he’d just stepped out of the fireplace right before him. The man, who was wearing a stylish forest-green robe with dark-brown trim and an earring on one ear, glared at him. Mumbling a hurried apology, Teddy strode off towards the gold-grilled elevators as quickly as he could.

Teddy was almost squashed at the back as the elevator slowly filled up. He winced as a rather large man stepped on his toe. The wizard, who was wearing a pinstriped Muggle suit and a red-and-white polka dot bowtie, mumbled a hurried apology. Above Teddy, a dozen pink paper airplanes zoomed into the lift and hovered on top of his head. Beside him, a dumpy old witch in bright-yellow robes was carrying a large, reeking box labelled Vomiting-Violets: They Smell Nasty!. Violets were Victoire’s favourite. Teddy, however, didn’t think Victoire would appreciate these too much.

The lift clattered to a halt at Level Two and a cool female voice announcing their arrival at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Teddy had to push his way past all the occupants and stepped out of the elevator just a second before the grills clanked shut again. Breathing a sigh of relief, he rounded the corner from the lift and walked past a set of heavy oak doors that marked the entrance to the Auror Headquarters. As he greeted a couple of his fellow Junior Aurors, he made his way towards Harry’s office, which was all the way towards the end.

He knocked twice.

–Enter,” Harry’s muffled voice came from behind the door.

Teddy turned the doorknob and pushed the door open.

–Harry, I--”

–Teddy! Thank Merlin you’re here,” Harry interrupted. His usually messy hair was even more ruffled up than before, as if he’d been running his hands through them all this time. His navy blue robes were wrinkly and in a pretty bad shape. Harry’s desk, which was often stacked up in paperwork, looked like it was about to overflow. Around fifty extra files sat on the table, which looked like it was about to give way any minute, and a few others had already fallen over the sides, their contents strewn across the floor. One stack of documents looked like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, about topple over any minute (unlike the actual tower, which was of course, held up by the strong magic cast by a number of old Italian Warlocks in the Middle Ages). It looked like Harry had been poring through the files for a very long time.

–Harry, I have to tell you something,” Teddy said.

–It can wait,” Harry said with a wave of his hand. –First, you need to get me some old case files.”

–Er, Harry --”

–You know, the ones from last year. Bring me all the files of the cases I’ve handled between April and September last year. Right now, Teddy. I have this feeling that I’m forgetting something.”

–Harry --”

–Now, Teddy.”

Teddy sighed. Harry really needed to know what he’d learned in Hogwarts. He didn’t argue with him, however -- Harry seemed to be in a very dangerous mood. Nodding, Teddy closed the door and hurried towards the Filing Room.

Ten minutes later, he returned with two huge boxes, one on top of the other, in his arms, followed by Trainee Auror Alastair Brunt, who had kindly carried another box for him. Teddy wouldn’t have been able to make it back to Harry’s office in one piece had he carried all three boxes.

Teddy thanked Brunt, who seemed pretty satisfied to have done something for the Head of the Auror Office. Teddy, however, had a feeling Harry hadn’t noticed the man at all.

Once Brunt left and Teddy had closed the door, Teddy asked, –What’s this all about, Harry?”

Harry opened the box with his wand and levitated the files on to the desk. –I think I might have a hunch.” He then looked up at Teddy. –You said you had to tell me something important? You can tell me as I go through these files.”

As the older Auror scanned through the old documents, Teddy told him everything that he had learned from Hogwarts, and whatever he and Victoire had discussed the previous night. The more he spoke, the more hopeful Harry’s expression became. When he was done, Harry looked up at him. –So basically, James had no idea about the child. So he couldn’t have known to give her the abortifacient before leaving Hogwarts.”

Teddy nodded. –Exactly.”

–Well, that’s excellent, then.” Harry beamed. –However, I’m pretty sure Williamson and the jury will find some other excuses. That’s why I have to find this thing that I’m looking for.”

–Which is what?”

–No idea.”

Teddy’s lips thinned. Harry was kidding, right?

–I just had a feeling that it was something to do with my other case files,” Harry continued, his eyes moving so fast he looked a bit cross-eyed. –I was up since three in the morning looking at these.” He motioned to the mess on his table.

–And Ginny didn’t tell you anything?” Teddy asked sceptically.

Harry shook his head. –I sleep on the couch in the living room, remember? She doesn’t know I was here. The sooner I get hold of this thing, the sooner we get our son back. And the sooner I can go back to sleeping in my own room.”

–Can I help?” Teddy asked.

–Hmm?” Harry asked absentmindedly. –Yeah, sure, grab a file and start looking. I think you might spot it, t--” Harry suddenly stopped, growing a bit pale.

As he reached out for a file, Teddy noticed the sudden change and froze in his tracks. –Did you find anything?”

Harry nodded, not moving his eyes of the file. –Damn, I am so thick!” he swore loudly, running a hand through his already dishevelled hair. –How on Earth could I miss this? For the life of me, I couldn’t think of what it was. All I knew was that I missing something. And then, seeing this, I remembered -- this is what I had forgotten. I’m becoming so stupid.”

Teddy put the file down and leaned forward. –What is it?”

He looked up, his eyes shining. –This is what I was looking for. Look at this!” He shoved the file into Teddy’s hand.

Teddy frowned and took the file, turning in the right side up and scanned through it. It was an old case file. The name of the offender was --

–Zachary Williamson,” Harry stated, standing up. –Auror Williamson’s son. He was accused of killing his girlfriend, Alison MacDougal. Later found guilty by the Wizengamot and, since he was of age when it happened, he was sent to Azkaban for life for the murder of his girlfriend and their unborn child.”

Teddy was still looking at the file. –And the potion used for the murder was--”

–Croton oil,” Harry finished.

–But Harry, isn’t he in Azkaban?” Teddy objected. He was very, very confused. The two cases had the same modus operandi, the same murder weapon and the suspects had the same relation to the victim. But the perpetrator of the first crime was imprisoned, so how in the name of Merlin had this happened? Teddy’s head hurt.

Harry stopped in his tracks, looking calm. Too calm, for Teddy’s liking. –Yes, he is. And that makes this all the more dangerous.”

A chill ran up his spine. –Harry?”

–Now there is a very good chance Wiliamson’s son didn’t do it, after all,” Harry went on, his face dead serious. –He’s innocent. This looks like the work of a serial killer. The boys were both framed for the murder of their girlfriends.”

For a second, Teddy remembered what the matron had said. –The potion had been taken from Madam Patil a year before,” he told Harry, who was looking at the fake window on the wall. Outside, it looked like a storm was going on. –She had said, ’Whether it was to stolen to kill Lucy, or whether the person decided to use it because they had it already... I don’t know.’ Harry, now that I think of it, this definitely has to be the work of a serial killer.”

–And a year ago, I put an innocent boy behind bars,” Harry said, sounding distressed. –Williamson came to me, begged me to consider that his son was framed. He used to follow me around just to make me go through the case again, but I didn’t.”

Teddy understood what Harry was going through. When James was arrested, Harry had immediately reached the conclusion that James was being set up. He had done everything in his power to prove James was innocent. Williamson had been doing the same when it concerned his son, and Harry hadn’t listened to him. He was deeply regretting it now. Teddy could see it in his eyes.

–I just looked at the facts, not bothering to take Williamson’s advice. I even benched him from the case because I thought he was favouring his son. I just considered it like another case, forgetting what I’d taught every single Auror till date -- to sometimes overlook the facts and look at new angles, because things are never truly black and white. Sometimes, we make mistakes. Sometimes the evidence points at the wrong direction.” Harry’s eyes were unfocused, staring off into space. Teddy had a feeling he was talking more to himself than to Teddy. –I was so mad at Williamson and his orthodox thoughts that I thought he was pulling one of his usual stunts. Now it’s my fault his son suffered in Azkaban for a year.”

–Harry, it’s not too late,” Teddy tried to comfort him. He stood up and strode over to Harry, putting a hand on his shoulder. –Zachary’s still young and has his whole life ahead of him. You’ll get him released and he’ll be a free man.”

Harry looked deep in thought, and Teddy could swear he could hear the cogs in his head turning. After a while, he sighed. –You’re right,” Harry muttered, taking off his glasses and rubbing them. Putting them back on, he said, –I have to tell this to Williamson.”

Teddy grimaced. That was not a conversation he wanted to sit in on. –Yeah, good luck with that.”

Standing up, Harry grabbed his cloak from behind his chair. –I guess I better get ready for an earful. That old man isn’t gonna take it well. If I were him, I’d want to kill me for being such a lousy Auror. I don’t deserve to be one, much less the Head of this place. First things first, though; I have to Floo up Azkaban and request for Zachary’s release right now. Sending a letter will take too long. I’m not letting the boy stay there a moment longer.

Teddy stood by and watched as Harry threw a pinch of Floo powder into his fireplace. The blazing yellow fire immediately tuned a bright emerald green, casting a ghostly glow around the room. Harry stooped down and stated, –Azkaban Prison!” before sticking his head into the fire.

Harry was looking pretty odd with his backside sticking out of the fireplace, so Teddy tried not to look. He diverted his attention to more mundane things like the photos on Harry’s shelves. He went over to them and picked up a photo frame. It was a picture of James and Al when they were ten and nine respectively. It looked like the beach near Shell Cottage; tiny pebbles were scattered all over the beach and he could see the sea washing up against the sand in the background. As he looked on, little Al opened his palm to reveal a seashell, which he showed to James. It was a very adorable moment, and if Teddy remembered right, it was one of those rare moments in their childhood when Al and James weren’t at each others' throats.

A sudden whooshing noise made him look back towards the fireplace. Harry had his head back on his shoulders; however, his face looked pale. He looked as though he’d seen a ghost.

–Harry, is everything okay?” Teddy asked, walking up to him slowly. His question was rhetoric -- everything certainly was not okay.

–Az-Azkaban had a... had a breakout two months ago,” Harry stuttered, putting his hand on his table to support his weight. –Zachary Williamson is gone. He escaped from Azkaban without anyone noticing and without trace.”

–What?” Teddy exclaimed. That was impossible. Azkaban could not have had a break out. It was an unbreakable fortress surrounded by anti-Apparition wards, protective enchantments and other barriers. It was guarded round the clock by more than three dozen Aurors and Hit Wizards. –How come we were not told about this?”

–We were,” Harry said. –Azkaban said that they had informed the Auror office immediately.”

–No they didn’t!” Teddy protested. –No one said anything! Someone breaking out of Azkaban, that would have garnered a countrywide manhunt if this had reached the Ministry. Who are they claiming to have told about this?”

Harry looked straight at him. –Azkaban said they informed Senior Auror Demetrius Williamson. They had told him about his son’s escape. Williamson knew.”



Chapter Endnotes:
Oooh, what's Williamson up to now? Review please!

--Nadia