Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never Let Go by majestic_ginny

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay, guys. I've just started university, and I haven't really had much time to write. My classes start at 9 30 and I come home at 7, and I have to sleep by 12. In the meantime I have to do homework and everything, so that's like, an hour for writing and readng anything. You can guess how hectic things have been.

Anyway, I hope this makes up for it! I've added a bit of Teddy/Victoire fluff in there ,and I hope it works for you. Enjoy!

I am not JKR.



That night, as Teddy stepped out of the fireplace, he couldn’t help but feel that Harry was hiding something from him. He had been awfully quiet that day, a faraway look in his eyes, talking only when he was asked something. He hadn’t spoken to Teddy about it, even though he’d pressed, but eventually Teddy let it go; if it was important, Harry would tell him. All the same, Teddy thought as he hung his travelling cloak on the rack, he had a bad feeling that Harry was terribly bothered by something.

–Look who’s home,” a voice said, making Teddy jump. Instinctively he whirled around, his hand flying to his wand, hundreds of offensive curses flying through his brain.

He relaxed, however, when he saw who is assailant was.

–I was about to turn you into jelly,” he said, his face breaking into a grin as he let go of the wand.

–It’s a good thing your reflexes are slow then,” she replied, smirking as she walked towards him. He casually spread open his arms as she walked into the familiar embrace. Resting his chin on her hair, he wrapped his arms around her slim figure, one hand on the small of her back and the other finding its way into her hair. –To what do I owe this pleasure?” he asked.

–You seemed awfully stressed out today,” she answered, resting her head on his chest. –I was thinking maybe you would like some company for dinner.”

He grinned. "I'd love it."

Pulling away from the embrace, he took her hand and led her to the living room, where he plopped onto the sofa, pulling her down on top of him. Snaking his arms around her and pulling her close, he kissed her on the lips. It was slow and sweet, and Teddy filled it with as much love as he could. Victoire’s mouth worked perfectly with his, her soft lips starting to cloud his senses. The kiss started to become more passionate, and he pulled her closer to him, filling up the gaps between them as her fingers entwined with his hair.

Before things got more heated, though, he pulled away smiling as she pouted. He looked into her eyes. They were the colour of the ocean, and he always thought he would drown in them. Her eyes calmed him in a way nothing could. Reaching up to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ears, he murmured, –I could get used to coming home to this.”

She planted a soft kiss on his lips, letting it linger once she drew away. She sat up, taking his hand and pulling him up to a sitting position. –We could move in,” she suggested innocently, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Teddy scoffed. –Your dad would kill me,” he said.

Victoire rolled her eyes. –And you’d let that stop you?”

–I think I’ll be more useful alive, don’t you think?” he said, raised his eyebrows. –As much as I love you, I’d rather not cross wands with him.”

–You’re scared of him,” Victoire said smugly, crossing her arms in from of her chest.

–Terrified is a better word, to be honest.”

She bit her lip to stop herself from laughing out loud. –I thought you were supposed to be an Auror.”

Teddy stood up and stretched. –I’d rather take on ten Death Eaters than tell your Dad I’m moving in with you. Now where’s Fleur’s delicious food you told me about? Did she make that lovely French stuff again?”

Victoire stood up proudly, flicker her strawberry blonde hair back and raising her chin. –She didn’t send anything.”

Teddy frowned, confused. –I thought you said --”

–I cooked.”

His mouth fell open. He remembered the last time she’d cooked something, and it had resulted in an extremely salty soup, a bland bread and Wartcap powder in the pudding instead of sugar. James refused to visit Bill’s place for weeks afterwards. –Is that -- is that a good idea?”

She scowled. –What is that supposed to mean?” She asked, her Anglo-French accent rather pronounced.

Teddy backpedalled. –I mean, you really shouldn’t have. Your soft hands --”

To his surprise, Victoire laughed. –Oh, hush you. I didn’t cook myself. Maman helped. She thought you would like a good dinner, considering how stressed out you were today. Because no offence, you’re cooking is worse than mine.”

–Thank you,” he said sincerely. He knew that Fleur really didn’t have to, but they considered him family. He was always grateful to the Weasleys for their love towards him, or making him feel that he was truly a part of their family.

Victoire took his hand and squeezed it. –Come on now,” she said, smiling. –You don’t want the food getting cold.”

Dinner was a quiet affair. They ate in silence, occasionally touching their feet together or brushing their hands as they reached for more food. It was their little romantic dinner, their getaway -- a small beacon of hope, a bit of normalcy in their lives while a violent storm raged on around them. It was moments like this that kept him alive and urged him on, showing him that he always had something to come back to at the end of the day.

After dinner, as they lounged on the sofa, Victoire leaning against him while his arms were wrapped around her waist, their conversation turned to more serious matters.

–Have you found anything yet?” she asked.

–No,” he replied, drawing small circles on her back.”But I have a feeling Harry knows something. He was very quiet today. His mind was not on his work.”

–Have you asked him?”

He nodded. –He didn’t say, though. If it was anything important about Lucy, he’d tell me.”

She played with a button on his shirt. –Maybe he was thinking about Uncle Percy’s words,” she said quietly, after a while.

He pressed his lips together. –It was a very serious allegation, what he said.”

–Hmm, I know. Absurd, that’s what it was.”

–He was just shocked, I think. It was probably a lot to handle. His daughter was pregnant, the father was her cousin, she was given an abortifacient, and the dose was enough to kill her. Naturally, he blamed the first possible suspect.” As he said that, an unbidden thought came to his mind. What if --? No, it was ridiculous. Impossible.

–James loved her,” she said, breaking his train of thoughts. –He wouldn’t. He’d rather die than do that.”

Teddy pondered over her words and decided to agree with her. James couldn’t have done it. He knew his god-brother; He was an immature idiot, but he wasn’t a murderer. He shook his head and pushed the thought out of his mind.

–I know Hogwarts holds answers,” he said, more to himself than to Victoire. –I can’t wait till term starts.”

–Who do you think --?”

–She kept her potion in her trunk,” he stated. That’s what Percy had told Harry earlier that day, and Molly and Roxanne had backed him up, saying that she never took it out of her dormitory. –For someone to spike it, they’d have to have access to the girl’s dormitories. Now, boys can’t go up there, so--”

–It had to be a girl,” Victoire finished for him. –Or if it was a boy, a girl had to take it for him.”

Teddy nodded. –Find the girl and we have some answers,” he said. –Also, they must have had the password to the common room.”

–The Fat Lady never lets non-Gryffindors into the tower, even if they had the password,” she pointed out. –So it was --”

–A Gryffindor, yes.” Teddy sighed, running a hand through his mousy-brown hair. Lately, he had avoided the vibrant colours. –So that means one-eighth of the castle are suspects in a murder investigation.”



Victoire left at around eleven that night. Even though she was allowed to stay out as long as she wanted, Teddy didn’t want her to stay at his place till late night. He was rather scared of Victoire’s father, and he didn’t want Bill getting any ideas that he was doing anything wrong with Victoire.

As Teddy was getting ready for bed, he heard a soft tapping sound. Frowning, he looked for the source of the noise, until he spotted a small tawny owl near the window. He strode over to the window and unlatched it, allowing the owl to hop in and hold out a letter tied to its leg. It had a ministry seal on it. And it was addressed to him in Harry’s handwriting.

Puzzled, he unsealed the envelope and took out the piece of parchment inside.

Meet me at my office as soon as you can. --Harry.

He sighed; clearly he wasn’t sleeping anytime soon.

Changing out of his pyjamas and donning his work-robes from earlier that day, he grabbed his wand from the bedside table and went down the stairs. Heading for the fireplace, he grabbed a fist of Floo powder and threw it into the fire. Stepping into it, he Flooed directly to the Ministry.

Apart from the guard on duty, the Ministry was empty. Teddy had never been in the atrium so late at night, and he was glad for that; at night the room was dark and eerie, and without the usual hustle and bustle of the Ministry workers, his footsteps echoed oddly off the walls. He hurriedly took the lift down to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. As the elevator jerked to a halt, Teddy stepped out of it and ran along the dimly lit corridors until he skidded to a stop in front of Harry’s office.

He knocked on the door.

”Come in,” Harry called.

Teddy turned the knob and pushed the door open.

–Teddy, there you are,” Harry said, smiling -- Teddy thought that the smile didn’t quite reach his eyes. –I was hoping the owl might catch you soon.”

–I was just about to step into bed,” Teddy explained, taking a seat in front of Harry. –What’s wrong? Why are you here so late at night? You never work this late.”

Harry closed his eyes. On closer inspection, Teddy realized Harry looked very tired. There were thin lines of worry etched on his forehead. His lips were chapped, as if he’d been biting them quite a lot.

–Teddy,” Harry said, taking of his glasses and putting them on the table. He rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands. –I need your help.”

–Anything,” Teddy answered instantly. He’d never seen Harry like this before.

Harry opened his eyes, though his eyes were unfocused. –I’ve been thinking... about what Percy said.”

When Teddy didn’t say anything, Harry continued, –Do you think... what I mean is -- well, I’m afraid, what if he’s right?”

–What do you mean, Harry?” Surely he was not --?

Harry put on his glasses and focused on Teddy. He looked tortured. –I don't know what to think, Teddy. James had a motive to do it.”

–Of course not!” Teddy exclaimed, feeling his stomach squirm. –You really don’t think that --”

–I certainly don’t want it to be true.” Harry sighed, leaning backwards. –He’s my son, Teddy, it’s not an easy thing to add your son to the list of suspects. Merlin forbid, it James did it though...”

Feeling a sinking sensation at the pit of his stomach, Teddy realized Harry was right. He’d thought of it himself hours before, hadn’t he? It was possible.

–What if James had been lying that he didn’t know Lucy was pregnant?” Harry was saying. –What if he was just pretending that Lucy hadn’t told him? I’ve known him long enough to know that he has a mean talent for acting. He’s done it countless times.”

–But regarding this?” Teddy argued. –There’s a difference between pranks and cold-blooded murder.”

–Damn it, I know!” Harry said, his voice rising as he clutched at his hair. –I don’t want it to be true. He’s my son, Teddy, my own son. I don’t want to put him behind bars.”

–Then don’t!”

Harry exhaled deeply. –I need you to do something for me.”

–What is that?” Teddy asked wearily.

–Go into his room and check it thoroughly,” Harry said. –I want you to check whether he has anything on him. Anything that might link him to the case.”

–You want me to snoop him?”

Harry nodded. –I need to be sure it’s not him. I hope it’s not him.” He added the last bit very quietly, as if talking to himself.

Teddy sighed, wondering how they’d got into this mess. Harry was right. James did have a motive. And he knew that James had a knack for weeding out things that troubled him.

He was just scared to find out how far James was willing to go for that.

After a few seconds, Teddy asked, –What does Ginny think about this?”

–Hmm?”

–Ginny,” Teddy repeated. –What does she say?”

Harry scoffed. –I haven’t told her yet. That is not a conversation I’m looking forward to.”

Teddy nodded, a rueful smile tugging at the corner of his lips. What would Harry say? ‘Hi Ginny, guess what? I think our son might have killed his cousin and the mother of his child. What do you say?’

–Harry,” Teddy asked uncertainly. –Are you sure you want me to do this?”

Harry looked at Teddy. His eyes had a dark look in them, like that of a man who was on the verge of losing everything. –Find me the proof that my son didn’t commit this murder.”

Teddy nodded. –Okay," he said, clenching his jaws. "I’ll come over tomorrow.”



Chapter Endnotes:
How was that? Please review! they make my day :D --Nadia