Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Raven's Claw by Sonorus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
AD 961

The vast cavern was thronged with people, all talking at once. Debates and arguments raged, bargains were being struck, promises (and threats) were being made. The cavern floor had been smoothed out as best as possible to accommodate the crowd, and on a raised outcrop at the north end a table had been set up. Behind on a chair sat Helga of Hufflepuff, in a yellow robe, quill in hand, recording each name as it was agreed upon. Through the crowd moved Godric and Salazar. Godric was striding about with his air of confident authority, making sure order was kept and any violence prevented. But Salazar moved quietly and furtively from person to person, whispering in ears, making suggestions and offers and subtle hints. Salazar was in his element; to watch him was to watch a master at work.

Off to the side, alone, unremarked, one woman was doing just that. Rowena sat on a rock with Helena on her knee, observing all that was happening. This day was the culmination of ten months work by her and her friends, and the time had come to sit back and interfere no further.

Her mind wandered back to the previous winter, to the day shortly after the incident at the Hollow on which she had first made her proposal to the others. –It is now clear to me,” she had said, –that what our community most urgently needs is law. The laws of our lands are either unworkable or simply unavailable when it comes to witches and wizards. We must find a way to govern ourselves in such matters, to create a system whereby ultimate authority remains with the king, but we can manage our day-to-day affairs ourselves, in our own fashion.”

Salazar had been particularly intrigued by this. –What did you have in mind?”

–An assembly,” Rowena had replied. –A gathering, or a court, drawing members from across Britain chosen by the community. They would have the power to settle disputes between wizards, bring justice to wizarding criminals and set laws appropriate to our community.”

–A sort of Witenagemot for wizards, you mean?” said Godric.

–Exactly. Such a thing has been common for communities both large and small across England for centuries. There is no reason why it cannot work for us.”

–The king may not react well to such a suggestion if he perceives us as a threat,” Salazar had warned. –And there will be those who will say this is nothing but a power grab by the four of us.”

–Then we must persuade them otherwise,” Rowena had said. –Or rather, you must persuade them, Salazar. This is a task for which you are ideally suited.” Salazar had merely smiled.

Having all agreed to this plan, the four friends set to work at once. It had fallen to Godric to arrange an audience for him and Salazar with King Edgar, to lay out their proposal. The king, as it turned out, was well aware of the existence of magic, being a man who prided himself on knowing all there was to know about his kingdom. However, it did come as something of a shock to him that a member of his own guard was a wizard. Nonetheless, he listened patiently as Salazar spoke eloquently of the need for wizards to manage their own affairs. Salazar stressed how the strife within the magical community could spread to affect non-magical folk if it was left unchecked. He pointed out the tradition among Saxons of assembly and respect for law, and he assured the king he would not be giving up authority, merely deputing it along the same lines as the Witenagemot. –We are few in number,” Salazar said, –and though we are scattered across your land, our identity means a great deal to us, and this would provide us the opportunity to share it in peace with one another. We ask only your blessing.”

The king had listened in silence throughout Salazar’s speech, and when it ended, he dismissed Salazar and Godric for an hour and thought alone in silence. Then he recalled the wizards and said, –I expect you took a great risk coming before me today and revealing the extent of the trouble among your people. If our histories and legends are any guide, magic has long been mistrusted, and no doubt you feared I might see you as dangerous and act against you. Yet any man can be dangerous if he is not constrained by morality and justice. You have asked for law, and that is the one thing above all others I am happy to grant. You may form your assembly, under the following two conditions. First, it shall make no law that flaunts the law of this land or the principles of natural justice. Second, it shall acknowledge me and my heirs as sovereign, and in token of that, whatever person you appoint to speak for this assembly shall meet with me, and my heirs after me, as often as seems appropriate, to discuss its proceedings. So it is decreed.”

With the king’s blessing secured, the four friends took up the task of travelling the length and breadth of the island, spreading the word of this new assembly among witches and wizards and calling on them to join. From Cornwall to the Orkneys they travelled, and from Anglesey to Norfolk, and all points in between, seeking out magical communities and passing on the message. There was, as expected, plenty of opposition to be found. To stave off any claim that they were only seeking power for themselves, the four agreed that none of them would sit on the assembly, only help to establish it. Despite that, there were many other objections. Scots and Welsh wizards objected to participating in an ‘English’ assembly, established by the English king. Rowena pointed out that the assembly was to be gathered on English soil, so needed the permission of the English king, but the Scots and Welsh were free to join, and as a Scot herself she had no objection to this arrangement. Fortunately, Rowena’s family was well respected among Scots wizards, and most accepted her word.

Predictably, many wizards belonging to one of the numerous factions in wizarding society refused to join any assembly alongside those of opposing factions. Even though many accepted that the infighting had to stop, they still had their own entrenched positions. Rowena knew it was vital to have all sides on board if the assembly was to work. Under advice from Salazar, the four used every argument they could to persuade each group to join up. Foremost, they could use the threat that the assembly could go ahead without that group’s involvement, and that group’s voice would not be heard. Then came the long process of agreements, bargains and concessions, until they felt they had enough groups signed up to go ahead. The call then went out across Britain to come to the Westminster caverns, where the assembly, inevitably nicknamed the Wizengamot, would be convened, and its members chosen.

It had been ten months of arduous travelling and endless meetings, but Rowena regretted none of it, except for one thing. Helena was now approaching her second birthday, and it had become impossible to take her everywhere Rowena went. Rowena hated spending any time away from Helena, but it was unavoidable. She had found a kind witch to act as a nanny, and Helga helped out whenever she herself was available, but it was hardly the same, in Rowena’s eyes, as time spent between a mother and daughter. She lavished all the more attention on Helena whenever she returned.

From early in her travels, Rowena became aware that she was being followed. Everywhere she went, her movements were tracked, and there was always one shadowy figure or another observing her from a distance. Yet none ever approached or attacked her. Rowena knew they must be from the group that had murdered Donald, yet it seemed after the incident in the cave they were more fearful of her, and were content to watch and wait, biding their time.

This suited Rowena perfectly, for she had begun to make her own plans. Secretly, she began to collect the information she needed, speaking to Salazar and others as she sought to confirm her suspicions. An idea, a scheme, had begun to form in her mind, and she was almost ready to carry it out.

Sitting, watching the proceedings from the side of the cave, Rowena caught sight of someone she had expected to see: Edwin, hotly debating some issue with another man of Jorvik. She sought to catch his eye, and he noticed her and came over. –I knew you’d be here somewhere, Rowena,” he said with a smile, –but I thought to find you amongst the crowd.”

–Such politics is not for me, Edwin,” she replied. –I am content to watch. I am not surprised to see you here, though. Wherever wizards gather, there you will be found, seeking new business. Are you doing well?”

–Well enough. There are one or two prospective members of the Wizengamot with whom I hope to curry favour. And there is always the potential to make new friends and find people of like mind. I can see what a clever idea this Wizengamot of yours is, Rowena. There are great opportunities for someone like me here.”

–Then I should let you get back to the crowd,” said Rowena. –Oh, be sure to wait around after the Wizengamot is sworn in. I have something special planned.”

–I will,” said Edwin, and rejoined the throng. Rowena watched him go until he disappeared from sight amid the hundreds of waiting people. The negotiations and nominations were almost over. Rowena waited as the last decisions were made. Helena was squirming on her lap; she didn’t like being held in one place for too long. –It’s all right, Helena, not too long now,” whispered Rowena. –Soon this will all be over.” But, she thought to herself, that’s when it really begins.

The last name was agreed upon, and one by one the new members stepped forward to swear the oath of allegiance to the king and to pledge to uphold the law. Salazar, his work done, came over to talk to Rowena. –How went it?” Rowena asked.

–As well as can be expected,” answered Salazar. –Most of the more extreme individuals failed to gain enough support to win seats, but there are still some I would keep an eye on, and several factions are still well represented. Their numbers are split evenly though, and that should keep things balanced.”

–I have watched you at work out there, Salazar. I see I was right about your talents.”

Salazar shrugged modestly. –It’s all a matter of knowing what people want. Some men are only interested in money. Some may want power or status. Others have a cause they will do anything to advance. Everyone wants something, and as such everyone has a price.”

–And often what someone wants is not the best thing for them,” mused Rowena. A few lines of poetry spontaneously formed themselves in her mind, and she smiled to herself at the thought of them.

–Do you still intend to go through with your plan?” asked Salazar.

–I do.”

–I can’t deny it may be exactly what is needed to establish the reputation and authority of the Wizengamot. But only if you can prove your case, Rowena. Are you certain you can?”

–I am sure. I have all the evidence I need. It must be now, Salazar. This moment must be seized.”

–Well then, good luck, Raven’s Claw.” Salazar headed off across the cave to speak with Godric. Rowena stood up and carried Helena over to where Helga was standing. She passed Helena over to her and they stood and watched as the oaths were completed and the Wizengamot voted to choose its Chief Warlock, the wizard who would chair its meetings and represent it to the king. A London man named Egbert was chosen, and there was much applause as he climbed up onto the outcrop to give a short speech, promising to be a faithful servant of the new assembly and to act justly and fairly at all times.

–The Wizengamot belongs to you, the people, and to all magical folk across this island,” he concluded by saying. –We are here to serve you, so do not fear to approach us when you have need. Help us, work with us, support us, and together we shall see justice brought to this land.” There was further enthusiastic applause. –Right,” he added as it died down, –is there any business for us to discuss now, or shall we convene for our first meeting tomorrow?”

Rowena stepped forward and spoke in a loud, clear voice. –I have a matter I wish to bring before the Wizengamot.” The crowd immediately hushed, and all eyes were turned towards Rowena.

–Rowena of Fife,” said Egbert in surprise. –What do you wish to bring before us?”

–I have a charge I wish to have the Wizengamot’s justice upon,” said Rowena calmly. –An opportunity for the Wizengamot to demonstrate its integrity and commitment to the law. As many of you know, a little over two years ago, my husband, Donald, was killed by wizards. I wish to bring a charge of murder, to be tried by this assembly, against the man I believe ordered his death.”

A murmur swept around the cave at Rowena’s words. Egbert lifted up his hand for silence. –Against whom do wish to bring this charge, Rowena?” he asked.

Rowena pointed into the crowd. –Against Edwin of Jorvik,” she said.
Chapter Endnotes: The idea I have is that the later Ministry of Magic would have taken over most of the functions of the Wizengamot, but the Wizengamot itself would have survived in some form, as English institutions tend to do.