Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Sing Me To Sleep by TheHarryPotterNerd

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Thanks so much to Franny for proofreading my story! I love you girl!
Lily Potter opened her eyes and sat up shakily. She was lying in her bed, not the hospital where she usually stayed; the doctors had sent her home for the time being, since they knew that she would not make it to Christmas. Lily looked around her room. Old tubes previously filled with liquids lay upon the brown carpet. Pictures of a smiling family hung over Lily's bed; her family. She pushed the blankets off her unusually thin legs. Menkes disease had finally gotten to her. Her discolored hair hung limp and broken upon her shoulders. Lily's face was thin and pale. She sighed, and then stood up; though as soon as her feet bore the weight of her body, she collapsed. The pain was excruciating. She slowly stood back up, using the bed to push herself back to her feet. Pain shot through her legs, making Lily wince. Sitting back down on her bed, she took a long look around the familiar room. Soon this would all be gone. Lily knew it would end tonight. Tonight, she would fall asleep, and never wake back up. Menkes disease had won. Lily always knew it would.

The bedroom she stayed in was fairly large. Her sleigh bed was painted lilac, Lily's favorite color. Dozens of get-well cards covered her pale purple nightstand. The dresser was white with small purple flowers painted on it. Lily sighed. She would miss this place. A knock at the door caused Lily to look up suddenly, making her feel oddly lightheaded. She pressed her palm to her forehead as the door opened, and soon afterwards, the bed sagged under the weight of Lily's father.

–Good morning, Lily,” Harry choked back tears. He also knew today was the day.

–Good morning, Daddy. Did you sleep well?” Lily said, rubbing her head.

–I slept fine. How do you feel today?” asked Harry.

–I'm tired…and my whole body hurts,” said Lily, her voice weak and shaky.

Harry bent down and kissed his daughter’s head. Bending lower to pick her up, Harry caught Lily's eye. Something was terribly wrong. The look in her eyes confirmed his belief that today was her last. It was a look of sadness, pain, and fright.
~o0o~

Downstairs, Ginny set the table for Lily's last day. There was a certain aura about the house that led Ginny to believe that Lily would no longer see anyone or anything after today. Ginny pulled Lily's favorite breakfast, biscuits and chocolate gravy, out of the oven. Giving every plate an even amount, Ginny choked on sobs.

–Get a grip, Ginny,” she muttered to herself under her breath. –Lily doesn't want to see you cry on her last day.”

Ginny grabbed the towel and dabbed her eyes dry as Harry walked down the stairs, Lily in his arms. Ginny almost broke into more sobs at the sight of her baby. Lily was bone-thin and her skin was a pale off-white. Pain was a permanent look in her daughter’s eyes. Seeing Lily like that made Ginny want to kill herself. She couldn't do that. That would crush everyone too much.

~o0o~

Lily glanced at her plate and then turned to her mother. Ginny's eyes were red and puffy from crying. Lily opened her arms, beckoning her mother to come over for a hug. The two hugged for what seemed like years. When they pulled away, Lily caught a strange look in her father's eyes. The look was that of loss. Lily didn't ever want to see that look.

–Daddy!” She said; her voice was a mix of sadness and anger. –Don't look at me like that.”

Harry quickly averted his eyes and plopped down in the nearest chair. Lily stared at him for a moment, and then turned back to her mother.

–Good morning, baby. How are you feeling?” asked Ginny, choking back tears.

–Fine for now, momma. How are you?”

–Just fine, s-sweetheart,” said Ginny as she rubbed her eyes.

~o0o~

Harry watched as the two sat down and begin to eat. Thoughts ate away at him from the dark corners of his brain. Thoughts of how was he going to get by without seeing his lovely daughter every day. ‘No,’ he thought. ‘No thinking about it today. Spend what little time you have left with her.’

Breakfast ended and the trio made their way into the family room. Harry placed Lily upon the sofa. She took a good look around the room. Pictures of the Potter family decorated the wall above the fireplace. The rug had several vomit stains where the children couldn't make it to the restroom in time. Two soft brown chairs stood beside the brown sofa, and a clock hung upon the wall above it. Lily twisted around to see the old clock. It had five hands, one for each member of the family. Harry's, Ginny's, and Lily's clock hands all pointed to home. Albus’s and James's pointed to school. Lily turned back around to face her parents.

–Mum? Daddy? Are James and Al coming home soon?” asked Lily.

Harry disapparated immediately. The girls stared at the spot where he disappeared in slight confusion.

~o0o~

Harry opened his eyes; Hogwarts School loomed above him almost menacingly. The many students of the school walked around almost aimlessly; Harry didn’t care where they were going anyways. The only thoughts that ran through his mind had something to do with his daughter. The students looked towards him as Harry walked swiftly towards the headmistress's office.

After walking for about three minutes, the gargoyle leading to the headmistress's office appeared down a long corridor. Harry briskly walked towards it. He barely made it halfway down the hall when the headmistress of Hogwarts, Minerva McGonagall, emerged from the stairway.

–Professor, I-” started Harry.

–-Hello, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall interrupted. –I presume you are here for your sons, correct?” She said.
–Yes, Professor.”

–Follow me, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall said, heading towards the Great Hall.

Harry walked down the familiar corridors in a haze. What would his sons think? How would they react?

The Great Hall bustled with activity as students ate their fill and chatted with their friends. Harry scanned the crowd desperately for his sons while McGonagall spoke to the students.

–Students! Settle down!” She shouted over the chatter.

All eyes turned toward them. Two boys jumped up and ran towards Harry.

–Dad? What's going on? Is Lily-?” sputtered James.

The boys’ eyes filled with tears. Albus's hair was disheveled, and his eyes had a haunted look in them. Deep, dark circles showed underneath James's eyes. He looked like he hadn't slept in weeks.

–Lily is okay, but I need you to come home for a couple of days,” said Harry.

James and Albus turned to McGonagall, who in turn, nodded her approval. The boys grabbed Harry's hand and led him out of the Great Hall.

~o0o~

Lily looked at the clock while her mother read to her. 1 o'clock, it read. Harry had been gone for almost an hour. Lily closed her eyes and leaned back into her mother’s arms, listening to her read. The gentle voice of her mother lulled Lily, bringing back memories of when she was little. Eventually, she fell asleep.

~o0o~

Ginny closed the finished book and set it down on the coffee table. She looked down at Lily, who was fast asleep. Ginny stoked Lily's hair, several dried pieces of hair coming out in her hand. Her eyes filled up with tears as she watched her daughter's irregular breathing. The tears started to fall when Lily's chest stopped moving for a moment. Ginny cried silently, stopping only when the clock chimed 1:30. Where on earth could Harry be?

~o0o~

Lily was woken by her mother. She sat up and rubbed her eyes tiredly, trying to regain consciousness. James and Albus were standing in front of her, worried expressions on both of their faces. Albus darted towards her, throwing his arms around Lily. Lily winced in pain as Albus hugged her tightly. Lily took a sharp, painful breath, causing Albus to pull away quickly. Lily took a slow breath. She glanced at the clock. 4:55. James stepped forward, his eyes swollen and red. He hugged her gently while she choked back tears.

–Dinner is ready,” said Harry from the doorway.

The boys slowly walked to the kitchen. Ginny slowly stood up; holding Lily in her arms, and she too made her way into the kitchen. Ginny sat Lily down on one of the chairs, patting her shoulder comfortingly. The adults set the table while the boys brought the food to the table. Albus brought Lily's food to her. She smiled and said her thanks. She waited for the rest of her family to sit down before touching her food. They all ate in silence. Each person was too sad to speak. Lily watched her family as they ate. No one was really eating because they were hungry. They were eating because it was the last thing they would do as a family.

–Mum? Dad?” Lily asked nervously.

–Yes, dear?” replied Ginny.

–Can I…C-can I go to bed? I'm tired, and…A-and I want to go t-to sleep,” Lily said as she choked back violent tears.

Harry stood up and slowly walked over to Lily, picking her up. He kissed the top of her head, walking out the kitchen door. He calmly walked up the stairs, but Lily could see tears in his eyes. Ginny, James, and Albus followed closely behind, staying silent. The door to Lily's room magically flew open as the group neared it. Harry placed Lily upon her bed and bent over her, giving her one last hug. James came next; he hugged Lily and kissed her head.

–I-I'll miss you, Lily,” whispered James.

–I love you, James,” replied Lily.

James turned and walked out the room. Albus knelt by her bed, painful tears spilling from his eyes.

–W-wait for us, okay?” he pleaded.

–Of course, Al. I love you,” she choked out, her voice getting weaker by the second. Crying, Albus hurried out of Lily's room.

Lily turned to her parents, her eyes blank and hollow-looking. Ginny hugged Lily for the very last time.

–Lily, I love you very much, you know that?” Ginny whispered into Lily's ear as tears welled up in her eyes.

–Yes, mum. I love you too,” replied Lily, smiling.
After a few seconds, she choked out, –Can you sing to me?”

Ginny climbed into the bed, snuggling next to Lily. Harry murmured something and a stool appeared. He sat down and watched the girls. Lily looked at Harry with loving eyes. Listening to her mother’s gentle voice as she started to sing, Lily closed her eyes, and laid her head down on her pillow. Her breathing slowed, and eventually stopped. Lily's heart stopped beating, and she was gone.
The two boys heard a voice coming from Lily’s bedroom. It was the voice of their father.

–She’s gone.”