Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Lion's Son by Lost_Robin

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
–Scor? Are you up there?” Lily called up the attic stairs. No one responded. Sighing, she trudged up the stairs.

The attic of Potter Manor rivaled museums in both size and artifacts. When they were little, Lily and her brothers would play hide and seek up there. Games would take hours. The attic ran the entire length of the manor.

As soon as she walked in, she knew something was wrong. The table next to the door that normally held a lamp contained three things: two bottles and several pieces of paper. One of the bottles was empty, but the other was filled with a murky greenish liquid. Lily picked up the topmost paper. It seemed to be a recipe for the potion in the bottle.

There was no note and no sign of anyone. The recipe, upon closer inspection, was a formula for…

–Time travel?” Lily whispered. She picked up the full bottle and uncorked it. It smelled like rotten fish.

He forgot to take the formula, she thought. Of course he did. But he can’t get back without it.

She grabbed the papers and downed the potion without hesitation.

Lily landed face-down on bright green grass. She propped herself up on her elbows. Large boulders were planted around her in a circular pattern, looming ominously over her.

I must be in Stonehenge, she thought. But where is Scorpius? A large, tanned hand was suddenly in her line of sight.

–May I help you?” a deep voice asked. She took the hand and was pulled to her feet.

The owner of the deep voice and large hand was an equally large man. He wore sage green robes and held a wand in his other hand.

–When am I?” she asked. He could have lived in any time and she needed to find the right time.

–You are in Portais de pedra.” Portal of stone. Stonehenge! I’m right near Malfoy Manor!

–No, what year is it?” He looked puzzled for a moment, then answered.

–I do not know what a yee-ar is.” She studied the man carefully. He had no shoes, but he had an axe that looked like it was made out of iron. There was no one working on the stones, so she decided that it must be after 1600 B.C. But that left a large amount of history. –What is your name, doncela?” Maiden. He must be upper class.

–My name is Lily Potter.” He nodded.

–My name is Wulfgard. Pleasure to meet you, Lee-le.”

–Have you seen a boy around my age with very fair hair and a dark wand?” He nodded.

–My father took him to our castle. I can take there, if you wish.”

–Thank you very much.” He offered her his hand again.

–I assume you know the magical arts?” She nodded and slowly procured her own sycamore wand. He nodded. She took his hand and felt that familiar tug at her navel.

They appeared on the banks of a beautiful river. On the other bank was a stone castle. Wulfgard looked at her clothes and frowned.

–Your clothes are not of this time.” He held up his wand. –May I?” She nodded. With a wave of his wand, her Holyhead shirt and jeans transformed into dark green robes similar to what Wulfgard was wearing.

–How did you know I am not from this time?”

–Many people who come through Portais are odd and they wear unusual clothes.” He pulled a boat out from under a nearby bush and put it into the water. Lily pointed to the castle.

–Is that your father’s castle?”

–Yes. It is impenetrable by magic, so we must cross the river the Muggle way.” He helped her into the boat and then gracefully sat in it. With a tap of his wand, they were off.
Lily looked around. They were clearly in the thick of a forest, but she didn’t know of any forests or castles near Stonehenge. It could have been Malfoy Manor, but it didn’t look right. It was too… perfect to be real. It looked like something from her dreams.

They reached the other bank within a few minutes. Wulfgard helped her out of the boat.

–I must warn you. It is currently a holiday. Thus the court is very… busy.”

–What am I supposed to say to people who ask who I am?” He studied her for a moment, then ran his hand through his dark red hair.

–Say that you are my cousin on my mother’s side. We look enough alike.” She nodded. He offered her his arm. She took it and they walked down the path towards the large stone castle.

The dirt path led through the forest, the trees towering over them. Wulfgard led the way. They walked in silence.

–This boy you are looking for.”

–Scorpius.” He shrugged.

–Is he your husband?”

–No!” Lily exclaimed, then blushed furiously. Wulfgard stopped and turned around.

–Did I offend you?”

–No. I’m only sixteen. I’m not old enough to get married.” He looked confused.

–But my older sister married when she was fifteen. Has your father not found you a suitable husband?”

–Dad believes in letting us fall in love. Barely anyone has arranged marriages anymore.” They walked in silence for a few moments.

–How do you know Scorpius?”

–We’re friends. He’s staying with my family for the summer.”

–Ah.” They walked for a few more minutes. –Are you currently being courted?”

–No. I was seeing someone, but it… didn’t work out,” she said almost timidly. He nodded in understanding. –You?”

–No. I was betrothed, but she betrayed me for my father’s enemy’s son.”

–I’m sorry.” He smiled slightly.

–Do not be sorry on my account. She was loathsome. I was glad to be rid of her.”She smiled. –My father is letting me live the life I want. For now.”

–What is the life you want?” Wulfgard looked over at her and studied her face for a moment.

–I wish to live with the Druids and learn their way of magic. That is why I was at the Portais. It is one of their portals.”

–They have more than one?” she excitedly asked. This could mean there are other places that could link to that potion. This is the greatest discovery in magic since the Time Turner! Wulfgard seemed to be amused by her excitement.

–Of course. Why would they just build one?”
They reached the end of the dirt path and stepped onto a stone road. Wulfgard turned to Lily and bowed.

–Welcome to my home, Godric’s Hollow.”

–You live in Godric’s Hollow?” He chuckled at her shock.

–Of course. My father is the lord.”

–Your father is Godric Gryffindor?!” Wulfgard nodded. –Has he… built a school for magic?”

–Yes. I just finished my studies there. Do they have Hogwarts in your time?” She nodded.

–I’m in Ravenclaw. So is Scorpius.” He nodded in understanding.

–I studied Spellwork under Lady Rowena. She is an extraordinary witch.”

They walked in silence through the hamlet. It was small, but rather beautiful. Dad took them there while he was restoring Potter Manor. It was much better in the far past. Wulfgard led her along another path, to a tiny hot spring among the rocks.

–The last security measure,” he clarified. –After you.” Lily jumped in. Please lead me to Scor, she prayed.

She landed on her feet near a stone road that lead to a large castle made out of the same stone. Wulfgard took her by the arm and lead her down the road. The guards paid them no attention as they strolled past them into the castle.

–Welcome to Gryffindor Castle,” he said.



Inside, Scorpius was waiting patiently to talk to the head of the castle. All he wanted to do was go to Hogsmeade to get the last ingredient for the formula and go back to his own time. To Lily. She must have been worrying her head off.

Finally, someone came through the main doors. But it was Lily and some large bloke who was talking with her. He seemed to be friendly, but the guards had already given Scorpius a hard time about his clothes. Lily had changed into dark green robes.

–Lily!” he yelled. She turned to him and smiled. He ran over and swept her off her feet in a giant hug. She buried her head in his chest.

–I can’t believe this! We’re actually in Godric Gryffindor’s castle. This is incredible!” she exclaimed. He smiled. –But you are an idiot. How could try a potion and not tell anyone, especially since it concerns time travel?” And the interrogation begins.

–I thought I had the formula with me. But I have it memorized, so that shouldn’t be a problem.” She pulled a paper covered with his handwriting out of the robe.

–You mean this formula?” She rolled her eyes. –Honestly, Scor, what would you do without me?” The tall bloke cleared his throat.

–Excuse me, but are you Scorpieeus?” he asked. For such a large man, he sounded very educated. Scorpius nodded. The bloke opened a portal. He could see Hogsmeade in the distance.

–You are free to go. Just take care of her,” he said. Scorpius nodded, took Lily by the hand, and ran through the portal.

They landed just outside the gate to Hogwarts. Lily grabbed Scorpius’ arm to balance herself.

–What do you need in Hogsmeade?” she asked. Scorpius thought for a moment.

–I actually need some of the moss that grows in the lake,” he admitted.

–Wait. We have to break into Hogwarts? Are you insane?” Lily glared at him.

–Do you want to spend the rest of your life here? This is the only place the moss grows,” he retorted. –Besides, no one’s at the school. It’s Christmas. They’re off in Gryffindor’s castle.” Lily glared at him, but followed him up the snowy path towards the school.

They trudged towards the iced-over lake. The castle looked much different than it did in their time. It looked newer and there was an extra tower. Dad said there was a taller Astronomy Tower when he went, but it got destroyed in the battle.

When they reached the lake, Scorpius took out a phial and scooped up some greenish-grey moss. He looked around, then pulled out his wand. With a few flicks of it, they had a mini Potions laboratory. He put the other ingredients on the table and conjured a knife.

–Could you dice those, please?” he asked Lily. She immediately started helping. She had luckily inherited her grandmother’s talent for Potions.

About an hour later, they had finished the potion. Scorpius conjured two goblets and poured the familiar murky greenish potion into them. He handed one to Lily and kept the other.

–Cheers,” he said. They clinked glasses and drank.

Lily landed face down in bright green grass. Not again! A second later, Scorpius landed next to her.

–I wonder when we are?” he said, offering her a hand. They got up.

They were at Hogwarts and it seemed to be around the right time for them. The two Astronomy Towers, the White Tower and the Emerald Tower, were where they were supposed to be. But the school was deserted. Not a soul in sight.

Scorpius looked at the watch his parents had recently bought him. It had changed when he travelled back in time and now it was back to normal.

–We’re in the right time,” he said confidently.

–So all we have to do is Apparate home before Mum and Dad do.” He looked at her incredulously. –Can’t be that hard. James used to do it all the time.” They ran outside the gate. Lily gripped Scorpius’ arm. –You did get your Apparation license, right?”

–Of course. Dad took me to get it right after I turned seventeen.” He turned on the spot, thinking of Potter Manor with its verdant lawn and enormous attic. They disappeared with a CRACK! Scorpius just hoped they made it back before Mr. and Mrs. Potter got back from the Ministry dinner.

They landed just outside of the gates. Lily pulled Scorpius inside the boundaries and together, they ran inside the house.

No one seemed to be in the house, so they made their way back up to the attic. He led her to the laboratory he set up the week before to brew the potion. One of her ancestors was very into Potions and left a collection of old potions that had been sitting there for quite a while. That was where he found the formula for the time travel potion.

–I found the formula on this desk. It was intriguing, so I tried it.” Lily read the parchment that lay on the desk next to a phial marked Lily.

–Scor, you have to read this,” she said, shoving the parchment at him. He caught it and quickly read it.


Dear Lily,

After meeting you, I knew that we were connected in another, more subtle way. I asked the Druids for some help in discerning it. They revealed something strange.

They said that I am your ancestor, that I marry a woman with fair hair and dark green eyes. My child, a girl, will be named Lilieas, for the white flower that grows around the castle. She will be your ancestress.

The Druids also told me another thing, but this pertains to your future. Beware the snake. That is all they had to say. I wish you the best of luck in your time. I will leave this letter, along with the formula you left behind, in my wing of the castle. It will be passed down generation from generation until Scorpius discovers it.

If you ever wish to visit me, the phial with your name on it holds enough of the potion for you to visit me. I will make a portion of it every month for if you visit. You are always welcome at my home.

Good luck and may fortune favour you.

Wulfgard



–He’s your… ancestor?” Scorpius asked. Lily nodded.

–I knew our family was old, but I didn’t know we settled Godric’s Hollow.”

–Whatever happened to him?” Lily shrugged.

–He was the second son of Gryffindor, so he didn’t inherit anything. He wasn’t important to historians.” Scorpius hugged her in a brotherly way.

–I’ll help you find out what happened to him. But you have to promise me one thing.”

–What’s that?”

–You’ll visit him once in a while.”

Wulfgard closed the thick wooden door, cutting him off from the world. This was his personal brewing room. No one was allowed in here except for him.

It had been two full moons since Lily and Scorpius had landed in the Portais. He took the parchment Lily dropped and shut himself inside his wing of the castle. The potion was so complicated it took a full moon and a half.

The air next to the table thickened and swirled. It dissipated and revealed Lily, dressed in her sage green robes. She brushed off dirt and smiled at Wulfgard.

–Hi, Wulfgard,” she said. He ran over and hugged her. –I’m sorry it took so long. Scor had an idea on how to control where I land. And then we had to go to my birthday party.”

–It is no problem. I spent the last full moon brewing the potion. How are you?” he asked. She did not look any older, but she seemed happier.

–Okay. Actually, I’m more than okay. Scor is staying with us until he finds his own place near St. Mungo’s.” She beamed at him.

–That is good. You get to see him every day.” She looked down at her shoes.

–I don’t get to see him every day. I go back to Hogwarts in a couple days,” she admitted. –So I won’t be able to visit you for a while. The only reason I could come right now is because Mum and Dad are visiting Auntie Luna and Uncle Rolfe and Al is at Auror training.”

–It is fine. You have to finish your education. What are you planning to do after you finish?” Lily blushed.

–I’m going to study more about the potion and what Stonehenge has to do with it.” She pulled a piece of parchment from her pocket. –Here’s a copy of the new formula. That way I won’t land in Hogwarts in the middle of August.” He took it and put it on the table and handed her a phial.

–Here is the potion for whenever you wish to leave.” She didn’t move to take it.

–I don’t want to leave yet. I want to talk to you.” He smiled and hugged her.

–Let me show you what I am brewing.” He led her to his current project, a black cauldron holding a steaming red potion.

–What is it?” she asked.

–A potion that lets you relive memories. My mother gave me the recipe and told me to use it to help someone I love. I made it for you, to help you figure out who the snake is in your future. Perhaps the snake is from your past. ” Lily looked up at him. He loved her, but not in a romantic way. It was more like how Al helped her learn how to ride a broom. Kind of a brotherly way.

She gripped the sides of the cauldron with both her hands and bent her head down, the tip of her nose almost touching the potion. Then she thrust her head into it.
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you for reading! If you can guess who the snake is, you win virtual cookies.