Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Forever in her Shadow by phoenix_tearPatronus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This is my first ever chaptered fic! I hope you enjoy =) It was largely inspired by a drawing by Hogwarts Bookworm which is also where I got the title =) ~Abi~
Chapter Notes: Thank you to Georgie, Maple and Ari for being such great betas and getting this back to me so quickly. I hope you enjoy =)
–Dommi, Maman told me to wake you, the Hogwarts letters are here!” Dominique groaned as she rolled over and shoved a pillow over her head in an attempt to block out her sister's voice.

–Dominique, wake up!” Victoire said, trying to pull the pillow out from her grip. –Oh, for Merlin's sake!” she exclaimed when she failed. Dominique grinned with satisfaction as she heard Victoire storm out of the room but then groaned again as she heard her come back in.

–Dominique! Wake up!” Louis cried, jumping up and down on the bed.

–All right, Louis, I'm awake; you can stop jumping on me now,” she said, gently pushing him off. He gave her a quick hug, before he ran out of the room, shouting something about pancakes.

–Are you going to come down stairs now, or am I going to have to call Louis back in?” Victoire said in a sickly sweet voice.

–Victoire, I swear if you don't get the hell out of my room in the next five seconds, I am going to kill you,” she growled. Victoire raised her hands in mock surrender as she backed out of the room, her blonde hair dancing behind her.

After Dominique had lay there for a couple of minutes, she slowly dragged herself out of bed and walked over to the mirror, in front of which she pulled her strawberry-blonde hair into a messy bun before heading downstairs.

–Dominique, your letter eez on the table,” her mum said over her shoulder. Unlike Dominique, her hair was long, silvery-blonde, and had the ability to turn every man's attention to her the moment she walked into the room. Her mum often told her stories of when she'd used her Veela charms on men in the past to get them to do what she wanted them to do. The reason she fell in love with their Dad was because he wasn't affected by the charm and fell in love with her for who she was.

–That's what you should look for in a man, Dommi. Someone who doesn't care about your appearance. Someone who just loves you for you,” she had once told Dominique.

As she ripped open the envelope, she noticed it was slightly thicker than normal.

Dear Miss Weasley,

I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as the fifth-year Slytherin Prefect. You are expected to check in at the prefect's compartment on the Hogwarts Express and await further instructions. This will give you the opportunity to meet your Head Boy and Head Girl, as well as your fellow Prefects. I hope that you will not abuse your position of authority and that you will do your best to help your fellow students.

Please find your badge enclosed.

Yours sincerely,

Pomona Sprout

Headmistress


–Oh no. Oh, Merlin, no. This can't be for me; they must have got it wrong,” she whispered to herself. How in Merlin's name had she been made a prefect? She, along with James, Fred and Molly, held the record for the most detentions earned in a week! Dominique groaned; they were never going to let her hear the end of this.

–Dominique, what's the matter?” Victoire asked, looking up from her own letter, a huge grin on her face.

Dominique simply held out the green and silver badge that had fallen out of the envelope, not trusting herself to speak.

–Oh Dominique, this eez fantastic, I must tell your grandmuzzer! And maybe now you will get your head down and stop getting so many detentions.” her mum said before hurrying out of the room.

Dominique scowled at her mum's last comment. Fleur had never approved of her behaviour at school. She'd sent a Howler when she found out that Dominique had received detention for the whole term when a firework display in the Great Hall got a bit out of control. It didn't matter that it was really difficult to pull it off and Professors Sprout, Greengrass and Longbottom had to stop themselves from laughing.

–Oh, Dommi, this is going to be great for you! I think a little responsibility is exactly what you need,” Victoire said, the stupid grin still on her face.

–That's a shame. Responsibility and I don't get on very well,” Dominique replied as she sat down.

Victoire laughed softly. –No, that's true. I heard all about what happened with the first year you were meant to help with potions.”

–In my defence, he was a very annoying Ravenclaw. Aren't you lot meant to know everything? Why did he need extra help anyway?”

–We're meant to be wise, that doesn't necessarily mean we're excellent at everything. And even if he is ridiculously annoying, did you really have to make him drink a potion that turned his hair green and skin orange?” Victoire replied, rolling her eyes.

–He brewed a successful potion, didn't he? Don't I get even the smallest bit of credit for that?” she asked with mock hopefulness.

–I suppose you do deserve something for that. But you didn't have to put up with him in the common room – he wouldn't stop moaning for the entire year!”

–He's lucky he isn't in Slytherin, then,” Dominique said with a grin. –What did your letter say, anyway? You looked very happy when you got it.”

–Oh, I'm the new Head Girl!” Victoire said, her face flushed and excited again.

–Oh, Tori, that's brilliant! Wow, Grandma's going to be so proud! And so's dad, he was Head Boy when he was at school!” Dominique exclaimed as she got up to hug her sister.

Even though she genuinely was happy for Victoire, Dominique couldn't help but feel annoyed. Everything Dominique did, she managed to over shadow it with a bigger achievement. When she got the highest score in her year in both potions and charms, Victoire got all O's in her OWL's; when she got onto the Slytherin Quidditch team, Victoire was the Duelling champion. Now she'd been made a Prefect – defying all the odds – and Victoire had been made Head Girl.

–Hey, it looks like I have the lucky job of trying to get you to stick to your duties as Prefect,” Victoire said, smiling at her.

–Looks like it. Hey, have you told maman yet?” Dominique asked, forcing herself to smile.

–No, not yet, I wanted to wait until dad got home from his trip so I could tell them together,” Victoire replied, her blue eyes sparkling.

–They're going to be so proud, Tori, everyone will be,” Dominique said softly.

–They're going to be proud of you, Dommi. You're a prefect, that's amazing!”

Dominique slowly sat back down at the table. –Yeah, I guess it is,” she said absent-mindedly.

–Dommi, what's wrong? Aren't you pleased?” Victoire asked, sounding concerned as she sat down next to her.

–I'm fine, Tori, why don't you just get back to celebrating?” Victoire looked hurt as she opened her mouth to say something but stopped as their mum came rushing into the room.

–Grandma Weasley eez so proud, Dominique! She's throwing a party this evening to celebrate, everyone's going to be there,” she said about twice the average person's rate of speech. –And Grandmere Delacour eez very pleased. She sends her love to all of you,” she finished, smiling at both of them.

Just then, there was a loud crack from outside just seconds before Louis came running down the stairs. –Dad!” he shouted as he ran out the door to greet him.

–Morning ladies,” their Dad said as he came into the kitchen.

–Bill, Dominique has something she would like to tell you.” her Maman said, giving their dad a kiss.

–Oh, Merlin, Dom, what have you done now?” Bill asked, turning to face his youngest daughter.

–Hey!” she cried in protest. –Just because I've normally done something, it doesn't mean you can jump to conclusions!”

–Okay, okay, I'm sorry, Dom. What did you want to tell me?”

–I, um, I – I was made prefect,” she said, struggling to get the words out.

–Congratulations, Dom. That's amazing news!” her dad said as he came over to give her a hug.

–I think Victoire has some bigger news,” Dominique said softly.

–Victoire?”

–I was going to wait until tonight to tell everyone together, but I might as well tell you now.” She paused for effect, before saying, –I've been made Head Girl!”

Dominique sighed as her mum let out an ear piercing cry and her parents rushed over to hug and congratulate her sister, her own success forgotten. What's the point in trying? Victoire's always going to do something better anyway, she thought as she walked out of them room, fighting back the tears that threatened to fall.
Chapter Endnotes: I hope you enjoyed chapter one, feel free to leave a review if you wish =) ~Abi~