Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Forever in her Shadow by phoenix_tearPatronus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Okay, so I've had to add the strong profanity warning for this chapter (only one 'bad' swear here but there's likely to be more through out the story) and I've also bumped the rating up. Many thanks to my lovely betas Ari and Maple for checking over this chapter for me. I hope you enjoy =)
Dominique woke with a start. She couldn't work out why she had woken so suddenly until she looked over to her window and saw the silhouette of a person sitting on the sofa in front of it, staring out to sea.

–Tori?” Dominique asked groggily as she reached for the lamp switch.

–Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. I just needed company, I guess,” Victoire replied softly.

–It's fine,” Dominique replied. –I'm guessing you're in here because you're not handling the news so well.”

Victoire shook her head slowly. –I just can't believe he asked her to marry him! It's so obvious that she doesn't actually love him, she's just using him, and he's so wrapped around her finger that he doesn't even notice!” she ranted.

Dominique sighed. –You know she loves him, Tori, that's why you want to hate her. You're just telling yourself she doesn't to make her seem like some sort of monster so that your hatred is justified in your eyes. Amelia's not a bad person, just give her a chance.”

–Oh fine, take her side!” Victoire cried angrily. –I can't believe that bitch has turned my own sister against me!”

–Stop being such a drama queen!” Dominique snapped. –No one's turned anyone against you; it's just that this insane image of Amelia you've got in your head is completely unreasonable.”

Victoire had just opened her mouth to retaliate when their dad burst into the room. –What's all the yelling for?” he asked, looking between his two daughters.

–Nothing, Papa, we're sorry to have woken you,” Victoire said, before storming out of the room, shooting one last dirty look at Dominique as she did so.

–Would you like to explain what the fight was about, Dominique?” her dad asked, and Dominique was surprised at the quiet anger in his voice -- her dad was rarely angry at them.

Dominique hesitated slightly before she answered. –Victoire's just upset about something, and she can't accept that it's going to happen whether she likes it or not and that she's being completely unreasonable.”

–I'm assuming this is about Teddy getting engaged,” her dad said, sitting down on her bed, and Dominique nodded slowly.

–She's convinced herself that Amelia is some sort of monster and when I tried to make her see that she's wrong about her, she completely flipped!” Dominique explained irritably.

–This is an area your mother would be of more use in,” he said with a frown. He was quiet for a while, deep in thought, before he continued. –I'll talk to your mum to see what she thinks, and perhaps she'll talk to Victoire herself. In the meantime, however, I suggest avoiding the topic altogether when you're around her.”

With a small smile, Dominique nodded in agreement. After a few moments, her dad got up and walked out of the room, shutting the door quietly behind him. Dominique lay there for a while, thinking, before she rolled over and tried to get back to sleep.



Avoiding the topic of Teddy's engagement proved to be more difficult than previously thought. Having given up on the hope of getting a few more hour's sleep, Dominique stumbled into the kitchen with a desperate plea of –coffee” and was surprised to be greeted by the sight of her mother and Amelia sat at the kitchen table, deep in discussion.

–It's so difficult finding a colour that doesn't clash with red hair but I was thinking the bridesmaids could be dressed in green,” Amelia was saying. They both looked up when they heard Dominique enter the room and Amelia smiled at her.

–You've already started planning?” Dominique said in disbelief, returning the smile as she poured herself a cup of coffee.

–I like to be prepared,” Amelia replied, laughing. Her face suddenly became serious. –Dominique, I would love it if you would be my bridesmaid. You don't have to say yes now, and I won't be offended if you say no -- especially if you feel Victoire would be upset by it. I know she isn't exactly thrilled about this...” Amelia trailed off, looking uncomfortable.

–I'd love to be your bridesmaid!” Dominique exclaimed, a broad grin on her face.

–Oh, Dominique, that's great! Thank you!” Amelia squealed and launched into a description of the style of dress she hoped to have the bridesmaids in.

–As I was saying to Fleur when you came in, I want all the bridesmaids in green and I was thinking of having knee-length dresses,” she explained.

–Molly will be 'ere in a little while, we can go over ze designs then. I know she would like to 'ave her say,” Fleur said, scowling slightly as she remembered the planning of her own wedding.

–Okay, then. As for the other bridesmaids, I was thinking of asking Percy's daughter, Molly, and then Lily as well. I would like to have an even number, and I was thinking of asking Victoire, but I'm not sure if she would be willing,” Amelia said, sounding a little disappointed.

–You're right, I wouldn't be,” Victoire said in an icy voice as she entered the room, glaring at Amelia. Both Amelia and Fleur tensed as Victoire set about making herself breakfast.

–Look, Victoire, I know you're not happy about this but I know Teddy --” Amelia started.

–Don't you dare bring Teddy into this!” Victoire hissed. She looked on the verge of saying something else, but, after casting a cautious eye at her mother, she turned on her heel and stormed out of the room.

–I better talk to 'er,” Fleur said apologetically.

–I'm sorry my sister's being such a bitch. She's not used to not getting her own way,” Dominique muttered darkly, glaring at the doorway Victoire had just stormed out of.

–It's not your fault. Teddy's going to be disappointed though. I told him I'd try to speak to her and try to get her to agree to us at least being civil to one another, but I don't think that'll be happening any time soon,” Amelia said sadly.

Dominique gave her a small smile before taking a sip of her now cold coffee. She shuddered as she swallowed the bitter liquid. –I always forget just how much I hate this stuff,” she said sheepishly.

–You're really not a morning person, are you?” Amelia asked with a small laugh.

–Not in the slightest,” Dominique replied. –So who are you going to get to be your fourth bridesmaid now?”

Amelia frowned in thought, twirling a lock of her dark hair around her finger. –I don't know. I guess I'll just have you guys. Do you think Molly would be willing to be a bridesmaid?” she asked, suddenly looking worried.

–I'm sure she'll be more than happy,” Dominique reassured her. Amelia had been the Slytherin Prefect when Dominique and Molly had first started Hogwarts, and both had a great deal of respect for the older girl who had always made the effort to make sure every Slytherin felt like part of the house.

–That's great!” Amelia cried, a huge grin on her face. It faded slightly after a few moments. –I just wish my parents were here to see all of this,” she whispered sadly.

Dominique shifted uncomfortably in her seat when she saw that Amelia's eyes were brimming with tears. Unsure of what she could say, she simply went over and wrapped her arms around the old girl.

–Thanks, Dommi,” Amelia whispered, wiping the tears away with the back of her hand. Dominique handed her a box of tissues before she went back to her chair.

A few minutes later, Fleur came back into the room, and she and Amelia were soon deep in discussion. Dominique stayed for a while, flicking through the stack of Muggle bridal magazines that Amelia had brought with her, but after a while she got bored and went to find something else to do. It was a lovely warm summer morning and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Perfect flying conditions, she thought with a grin, before sprinting up the stairs to her room to get her broomstick.

Dominique was unable to keep the wide smile off her face as she soared high above the ground. She was thankful for the built-in Muggle-repelling charm her broom came with, as it meant she was free to fly wherever she wanted and she began practising complicated manoeuvres on her broom as she imagined opposing Chasers and Bludgers coming towards her.

When she eventually went back inside, she found Grandma Molly had arrived and the three women had moved into the living room, magazines, dress designs, and long lists of ideas filling the small area. Dominique rolled her eyes and tried to navigate her way across the room, doing her best not to disturb the paper as she went to get a book off the shelf.

–Dominique, Molly Flooed to ask if you wanted to go and get your stuff togezzer today,” her mother said from the floor, barely glancing up from the magazine she was flicking through. –She said to meet 'er in ze Leaky Cauldron at eleven.”

Dominique grinned, pleased to finally have a chance to catch up with Molly. The two were inseparable at school, but they rarely had the chance to properly hang out during the holidays and Dominique missed the ridiculous conversations she had with her best friend when she was at home. Looking up and the clock that sat on the mantelpiece, Dominique discovered it was already quarter to eleven, so she hurried to get her school list from the kitchen, where she found Victoire storming around, slamming the cupboard door's as hard as she could every time she got something out of them.

–Do you really have to be so loud?” Dominique asked irritably. As bad as she felt for her sister, she hated how Victoire was acting about it all.

–Do you really have to make me look at your ugly face?” Victoire retorted.

Dominique glared at her and bit back another comment. She wouldn't admit that the comment had hurt her, so instead she grabbed her school list from where it sat in the centre of the table along with her Prefect badge, and Flooed to the Leaky Cauldron, where Molly was waiting for her.

–Dominique!” Molly called over from a table in the corner, where she was sitting with her father and younger sister, Lucy. Dominique made her way over to the table and greeted her uncle and cousins.

–Good morning, Dominique,” Percy said with a smile. He turned to his eldest daughter. –Now, Molly, here's your list, make sure you get everything. I've given you some extra money so you can get lunch. You are not to spend all of your money on unnecessary items, and that includes anything from your uncle's shop,” he said sternly.

Molly rolled her eyes as she accepted her school list and the money her father was handing her. Little did he know, George gave Dominique and Molly anything they wanted for free as long as they promised to never stop causing as much mayhem as possible.

–Have a nice time, girls. Come on, Lucy, we better get your stuff,” Uncle Percy said cheerily.

–So, where do you want to go first?” Molly said, grinning at Dominique.




A short while later, the two girls were browsing through the various brightly coloured shelves in Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes.

–We have to do something big this year, you know, since it's OWL year and everything. We have to have some way to blow off some steam,” Molly was saying.

–Ohh, the dreaded OWL year. I remember when I had to sit them; three people had a breakdown in the first month of term alone,” a voice said from behind them. The two girls turned around to see the grinning face of Lillian Wood, a seventh year Ravenclaw and one of Victoire's best friends.

–OWLs can't be that bad, surely,” Molly said, trying her best not to sound anxious.

–They're not quite as bad as the teachers make out, but be prepared for a hell of a lot of homework -- you've seen what fifth years look like; they rarely see the outside world as they're always up to their necks in homework. One word of advice, though: don't go in the library. It's impossible to work when you've got Madam Pince breathing down your neck to make sure your not damaging her precious books.”

–I wouldn't be able to go in there even if I wanted to. I've been banned for life ever since I set off that firework display and charmed the books to fly around,” Dominique muttered, trying to conceal a grin.

Molly and Lillian laughed at the memory. –Her face was priceless. I thought she was going to explode or something!” Lillian exclaimed.

–I thought you Ravenclaws were meant to love hanging out in the library -- isn't Pince your best friend?” a teasing voice said from behind them.

–Aren't you Slytherins meant to be dark wizards?” Lillian retorted. Although her tone was light, the three Slytherins around her winced slightly. Lillian blushed bright red, looking horrified. –Sorry, I wasn't thinking.”

–It's fine,” Dominique muttered quickly. –So, urm, hey, Adam,” she said, changing the subject.

Adam turned away from his sister and flashed a dazzling smile at Dominique. –Hey, Dom. How's my favourite Chaser?”

–Your favourite Chaser, am I? I'm the only one left!”

–Well, make the most of it while you can, then, I'm holding try-outs as soon as possible. We'll have four newbies we need to train up; there's no way I'm losing the cup this year! Gryffindor have a strong team, it'll be the same as last year, I believe, and then-”

–As cute as your passion for Quidditch is, we have to go, Adam,” Lillian interrupted him. Adam gave them a cheery wave and promised Dominique he would write to her about some possible techniques they could use, before his sister dragged him away.

–Is she always like that towards him?” Molly asked curiously, watching them leave.

–You know what she's like when it comes to Quidditch. She's still bitter that she can't play anymore,” Dominique replied. Lillian had once been the Ravenclaw Seeker until she'd had a terrible accident in her third year that had left her unable to play.

–Yeah, but still...”

After stocking up on everything they could possibly use over the next school year -- including several new products that their Uncle was relying on them to make popular -- they continued with the rest of their shopping. A few hours later, they found themselves sitting outside Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour, eating large chocolate fudge brownie sundaes and discussing the upcoming year.

–So how do you feel about being made prefect?” Molly asked with a mixture of sympathy and curiosity.

–Let's not even go there,” Dominique muttered, not taking her eyes off her ice-cream.

–It won't be that bad,” Molly said in what was meant to be a reassuring voice. When Dominique looked up, she saw her best friend had a slightly strained expression on her face.

–What's up?”

Molly paused before answering, –Nothing, it's fine. Don't worry about it.”

Dominique felt a wave of concern rush over her. –I'm guessing your mum's not too pleased that you didn't get the position.” She was thinking of a conversation she had overheard when she had been round Molly's house.

Dominique stood awkwardly in the living room of her best friend's house, trying her best not to eavesdrop on the conversation between Molly and her mother, Audrey.

–Molly, you're starting to get into some important years at school. We were lenient with you while you were in you first few years to ensure you had fully settled in, but you are going into your fourth year now. In a year's time, you'll be finding out who the prefects are. You need to get your head down this year; it's your last chance to make a good impression!”

–Mum, I'm not bothered about being prefect,” Molly said quietly.

–Don't be silly -- of course you want to be prefect! Statistics show that the majority of people who work in the Ministry were prefects while they were in school. You have to start thinking about your future, Molly. The decisions you make now could cost you a career in the Ministry if you don't stop messing around all the time!” Audrey's voice was getting slightly impatient now, but Dominique could detect a hint of pleading in her aunt's tone.

–I've already told you, I don't know what I want to do in the future. Just because you and dad worked in the ministry, it doesn't mean that I want to. For all you know, I could want to be a reporter for The Daily Prophet or be like Dominique and want to be a professional Quidditch player or --”

–Molly, I will not have you wasting your life playing that ridiculous sport! You will work hard this year; I do not want any letters from Professor Greengrass informing me that you have got another month's worth of detention for misbehaving and that you are still failing Transfiguration!”

–But -”

–Molly,” her mother warned.

–But -- I -- Fine. I won't waste my time this year.”

–Good. Now you better hurry along, Dominique's waiting in the other room for you.”


–Yeah, well, you know what she's like,” Molly muttered, dragging Dominique out of her thoughts.

–What about your dad?”

Molly shrugged. –Well, he was prefect and Head Boy when he was at school, so I think he assumed that I would just follow in his footsteps, but he's not making quite as big a deal out of it as mum is,” she said flatly.

Dominique was silent, unsure of what she could say to cheer her friend up. She knew it was stupid, but she felt as though she were to blame for Molly's predicament.

–So how's Victoire handling the engagement of the happy couple?” Molly asked, steering the conversation firmly away from the topic of prefect positions.

–By behaving like a little brat who hasn't got her own way,” Dominique replied bluntly.

–That bad?”

–Yeah. And it doesn't help that maman is helping Amelia plan it all. You know they've been close ever since Amelia started working at Maman's boutique. They've been planning since the early hours of this morning, god knows why -- they haven't even been engaged for a day yet.” Dominique was quiet for a minute, before she remembered something. –Oh, Amelia was wondering if you would be a bridesmaid.”

Molly grinned. –Anything for our big sister!”




The next few weeks passed peacefully in the Delacour-Weasley household. Victoire had taken to sulking quietly in her room, while Fleur was often out, either at the Burrow or Amelia's flat, pouring over wedding ideas. It was just as well they had started planning early as Teddy had announced that he wanted a winter wedding, and so their special day was to take place during the Christmas holidays in order to allow for the younger family members to be able to attend.

Dominique made use of the quiet by trying out a variety of different recipes from an old book she had found while looking for Victoire's old fairytale book. The book was ancient, having been in the family for centuries, passed down from mother to daughter. It was entirely in French, but it was beautifully decorated, with all of the pictures being painted in watercolour. Dominique could see why Victoire loved the book so much as she flicked through each of the delicate pages. As little as she liked her sister's attitude, she didn't like it when Victoire was upset, and she hoped that the book would cheer her up. She decided, however, to wait until after Teddy's engagement party as her sister was sure to get upset again, and Dominique had no other ideas of how to cheer her up.

–What are you making, Dommi?” Dominique turned around in surprise. Victoire was standing behind her with a small smile on her face. She was paler than normal and her eyes were red and puffy, but Dominique was glad to see she had actually left her room.

–A tarte aux framboises,” she replied. Dominique grinned at her sister's raised eyebrows and amused expression. –It sounds cooler when you say it in French.”

–Of course,” Victoire said, laughing, as she reached for Dominique's tub of fruit.

–Hey! Leave the raspberries alone!” she exclaimed, slapping Victoire's hand away.

–Custard's nice,” Victoire commented, licking a bit off her finger.

–Out of the kitchen,” Dominique demanded, pointing to the door. –Honestly, you're worse than Louis!”

–I am not!”

–Yes, you are. Leave it alone or you're not getting a piece.”

–Meanie!” Victoire pouted.

–I know,” Dominique said smugly.

–So what's it for?” Victoire asked.

Dominique hesitated before answering. –It's for the party.”

–Oh, I'd forgotten that was tonight. I should probably get ready, Maman will be back soon,” Victoire said, doing her best to sound calm. Dominique opened her mouth to say something, but Victoire had already left.

With a sigh, Dominique finished placing the fruit on the tarte before casting a spell to keep it cool.

–Dommi?”

For the second time, Dominique spun round in surprise.

–Teddy?” she asked, wondering where the voice had come from.

–Fireplace, genius,” Teddy said, rolling his eyes.

–What's wrong?” Dominique asked, kneeling down in front of the fireplace so she was level with Teddy's face.

–Can you talk to Victoire for me? Can you make sure she comes tonight? I need to speak to her,” Teddy said, looking slightly distressed.

–Of course I'll talk to her, but I'm not sure what good it'll do. She hasn't properly spoken to any of us since you got engaged.”

–That's why I need to talk to her. I hate it when she's upset, and Amelia's upset because she wants to be friends with Victoire and she wants Victoire to be a bridesmaid, and I want Tori at the wedding and... I just don't want to lose her. I should have spoken to her when I first started going out with Amelia, I should have spoken to her before I announced the engagement to the entire family, and - -”

–Woah, Teddy, breathe. It's okay, I'll make sure she's there, and I'm sure you two can work things out,” Dominique said, trying to calm him down.

Teddy gave her a small grin. –Thank you, Dommi. What would I do without you?”

–You wouldn't,” Dominique replied with a grin.

–You're probably right. I have to go, see you later. Just make sure she's there!”




–Vic? Maman asks if you're ready yet, we have to leave in a little while,” Dominique said, poking her head around the door. She wasn't altogether surprised to see Victoire sat on her bed, still in her pyjamas, looking out of the window. –You're not even dressed yet?”

–No, and I'm not going.” Victoire said calmly, continuing to stare out of the window.

–Oh, stop acting like a spoilt brat!” Dominique burst out angrily. She swore to herself when the words left her mouth. Calling her sister a spoilt brat wasn't likely to help matters, but seeing Teddy get in such a state earlier had made Dominique angry at her sister's behaviour once again.

–Excuse me? I'm acting like a spoilt brat? Why should I have to suffer by going to the engagement party of the boy I love?”

–You know what, I'm beginning to wonder if you really do love him.” Shit, I really need to learn to think before I open my mouth.

–And what exactly do you mean by that?” Victoire said, her voice dangerously quiet. Dominique simply folded her arms and looked at her sister, remembering how she used to be terrified when Victoire used that voice.

–I mean, if you truly loved him you would be happy for him despite how much it hurt you. Instead I think you're just jealous.”

–But I do love him, Dommi, too much. Amelia's manipulated this entire thing, you don't understand!” Victoire burried her head in her hands and Dominique walked over to the bed to give her sister a hug.

Dominique suppressed a sigh when she mentioned Amelia. She figured Victoire was more likely to go if they didn't have another argument, so she decided to just agree. –You need to talk to him, Tori. You need to tell him exactly what you just told me because right now he's hurt and confused as to why you won't talk to him.”

Victoire lifted her head in surprise. –All right then,” she said after thinking for a minute, –I'll go, but I'm not promising that I'll talk to him.”

–That's all I can ask for,” Dominique said as she walked out of the room. –But you will,” she whispered with a grin once the door had shut.
Chapter Endnotes: I hope you enjoyed the chapter =) Reviews are very much appreciated and I hope to get the future chapters up a bit quicker from now on =)