Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Forever in her Shadow by phoenix_tearPatronus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I am so sorry for taking so long to update! School's been a nightmare, then my laptop broke over the summer so I lost all my notes and it's all been rather chaotic. I hope you like this chapter and that it was worth the wait! I will try my best to not take so long in future. I would like to thank my lovely friend and beta Georgie for getting this back to my so quickly. I hope you enjoy =)

It had been a few days since the engagement party and a wave of hostility had washed over Shell Cottage. Victoire had once again retreated to her room, glaring at anyone who came near her and being particularly cold towards her younger sister, while their parents spent most of their time out of the house either at work or, in Fleur’s case, at Amelia’s to continue with the wedding planning.

Dominique decided that it would probably be safer to avoid contact with her sister for a few days to give her a chance to calm down, so she spent her days either baking, practicing Quidditch or with Louis.

–Dommi…?” Louis asked as he came into the garden where Dominique was reading.

–Yes, Louis?” she replied.

–Could you make me some chocolate brownies?” he asked, doing his best puppy-dog eyes.

–I made you cupcakes yesterday, what happened to them?” Dominique asked, eyebrows raised.

–They’re err… all gone,” he replied.

–There were twelve of them.”

–So?”

–So, how have you eaten them all already?” she asked in amazement.

–Well you had one and so did Maman and Dad,” Louis pointed out.

–Which leaves nine,” Dominique countered.

–I was hungry and they tasted nice,” Louis said, shrugging his shoulders. –Please make me some brownies. Pretty please!”

–Ugh, fine. But you better not eat them all in one day. I’m not making you anything tomorrow,” she warned.

He gave her a quick hug before running out the room while exclaiming, –Thanks, Dommi! You’re the best!”

–Yeah, he really needs the sugar from these,” Dominique muttered to herself, but she smiled as she pulled her hair up into a bun and found a recipe in her book, turning the delicate pages as carefully as she could before getting started.
–Are they done yet?” Louis asked impatiently after a while, just as she was getting them out of the oven.

–Almost, they just need to cool now. Get out of the kitchen so you’re not tempted to eat them,” Dominique ordered.

For once Louis actually did what he was told and Dominique started to clear up the kitchen. Why is it the kitchen always manages to stay immaculate while Maman cooks but when I cook it looks like a potion has exploded in it? she thought to herself with a sigh. As she was looking around to check that everything was tidy she caught sight of an old book resting on a shelf. She grinned when she remembered that it was the old fairytale book that she had found for Victoire to try to cheer her up. Maybe this will get her out of her bad mood, at least for a little while…

After telling a very excited Louis that he was now free to eat as long as he promised to save some for everyone else, she hurried upstairs to speak to Victoire.

–Vic?” Dominique called as she knocked on her sister’s bedroom door.

–Go away!” Victoire replied irritably.

–Vic, just open the door! I need to talk to you!” she called, hugging the book of fairytales to her chest.

–I don’t want to talk to you!”

–You know, you could at least tell me what I’ve done wrong!” Dominique cried, frustrated at her sister’s childish behaviour.

Dominique felt a glimmer of hope as Victoire opened her door slightly. –You know exactly what you’ve done,” she hissed. Dominique was shocked at the anger and hurt in her sister’s eyes; she didn’t understand what she had done to make Victoire feel like this.

–Victoire, I honestly don’t. Just tell me what it is and I’ll put it right, but I can’t do that unless you tell me!”

–Oh stop acting like you’re so innocent!” Victoire snapped, before slamming her door shut.

–Alright, fine. If you’re going to act like such a child I’m not even going to bother anymore. You’re supposed to be the older one of the two of us. Grow up, Tori,” Dominique snapped back. She had had enough of her sister’s behaviour over the last few weeks and this was the final straw. If Victoire couldn’t be bothered to tell her what she had done wrong, Dominique couldn’t be bothered to try and fix it.




The morning of 1st September came around all too quickly for Dominique's liking. While she always loved her time at school, this year the excitement was tinged with dread as she thought about her OWLs and her new responsibilities. Normally by now her head would be filled with ideas for their new tricks, but she had done her best to squeeze out any ideas she had, determined to prove that she deserved position she had been given.

–Have you got everything ready, Dommi?” her mum asked from the kitchen. Dominique nodded as she poured herself a glass of orange juice and sat down opposite a dejected Louis.

–We'll be back before you know it, Louis,” Dominique said with a small smile. She knew her brother got lonely when she and Victoire went back to school as their parents were often at work and he had a hard time fitting in with his loud cousins when he stayed at the Burrow. –Besides, it's only one more year until you come with us,” she added.

Louis forced a smile as he looked at his older sister. –Yeah, only one more year. I hope you have a great time, Dommi.”

Dominique got up from her seat and walked round to give Louis a hug. –Louis, you know I'll write to you every week and I'll be home for Christmas. We'll be back before you know it,” she murmured.

–Dom, are you ready to go? Percy will be here soon,” Bill said as he walked into the kitchen.

–Yeah, I'm ready. My trunk's in the hallway,” she replied.

–Dommi, you ‘aven't eaten yet. Come and get some food, you are not leaving before you eat,” Fleur said with a frown.

–Maman, I'm hardly going to miss out on eating your pancakes before I go,” Dominique said, reassuringly. Her mother was always like this if it looked like one of them was going to miss a meal, although quite why she was so paranoid about it Dominique wasn't sure.

Before long, Percy, Molly and Lucy arrived and it was time to leave. –'Ave a good time, girls. Don't forget to write,” Fleur said, giving each of them a hug.

–I won't forget, Maman,” Victoire reassured her. With a final hug, she said goodbye to Bill and Louis before brushing past Dominique without even looking at her. Dominique rolled her eyes.

–What's her problem?” Molly whispered in Dominique's ear, noticing Victoire's icy behaviour.

–Merlin knows. Knowing her, she probably blames me for Teddy not suddenly turning around and declaring his love for her,” Dominique muttered dryly. Molly opened her mouth to say more but at that point Bill appeared behind them to say goodbye to Dominique.

–Have a great term, Dominique. Don't forget you need to go to your Prefect meeting when you first get on the train,” he added, knowing that Dominique had probably deliberately erased it from her memory.

Forcing a smile, Dominique replied, –Of course, Dad. How could I possibly forget?” She had tried to make her voice sound light and cheery, but it didn’t come out that way. Bill placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

–Dom, it's going to be fine. You deserve this, and don't try to make out that you don't. Your mother and I are so proud of you for getting this position, don't let your behaviour and attitude get in the way of that,” he urged.

–I won't,” Dominique sighed as she gave him a hug. She turned to see Molly waiting for her by the door and said a final rushed goodbye before getting into the car.

–Goodbye, girls,” Bill called. –Be good!” he added with a pointed look at Dominique and Molly.

–Why do they always assume that we're going to be the ones causing trouble?” Molly whispered, frowning. Dominique just looked at her like she was mad.

–Why do you think?” she replied. –We hold the record for the most detentions earned in a week; you cannot seriously think we're an example of good behaviour.”

–Well, I know we joke around a lot, but we aren't always that bad. We’re quite responsible towards our own house, we always help lead the meetings. Adam's insisted that you're co-captain of the team and now you're a Prefect. We can't be that bad,” Molly persisted.

–Molly, you pride yourself on being one of the most misbehaved students in the school, why are you trying to deny it now?” Dominique asked, confused about her cousin's sudden change of heart.

–Nothing, I'm just saying,” Molly mumbled, casting a wary look at Lucy and Percy in the front of the car.

–Sure...” Dominique made a mental note to quiz her on the reason later when they were away from the prying eyes of their family members.

–So how've your holidays been, Victoire?” Molly asked, turning to the other girl in the backseat with them. Victoire had been deliberately ignoring them the entire journey, with the exception of a few dirty looks at Dominique.

–They’ve been fine. I’m glad we’re going back to school though so I can get away from some people,” she replied coldly.

Dominique rolled her eyes at her sister’s last remark and returned the glare that had been thrown her way. –Can you get me some stuff from the trolley when it comes round, please,” Dominique asked Molly, turning the conversation away from her sister. –I remember Amelia saying how the meetings always go on forever so I probably won’t be back in time to get some myself.”

–Sure. I guess I’ll have to sit with Adam while I wait for you,” Molly replied. Dominique thought she had seen a look of excitement flash across Molly’s face as she said it, but a moment later it was gone so she brushed it aside.

When they finally arrived at the station, Dominique felt the knot of nerves in her stomach tighten. She hadn’t felt this nervous since her first journey to Hogwarts and she wasn’t overly fond of the feeling. She knew it was stupid to feel this nervous - after all, most people would be proud and excited to get this position - but Dominique just could not shake the feeling that she wasn’t go to belong in that compartment. They made their way through the station, Victoire’s and Molly’s owls earning several bemused looks from the muggle passengers, and passed unnoticed through the barrier onto the platform where they were greeted by a great scarlet steam train.

–Dom!” a voice called as they approached the train.

–Hey, Adam,” Dominique called back with a grin.

–Have you heard who else got Prefect from our house?” Adam asked once they had reached him.

–Who?” Dominique asked cautiously, not sure if she liked the grin on Adam’s face. –If you tell me it’s Damian I think I might scream,” she added darkly. Damian was quite possibly Dominique’s least favourite person on earth due to his arrogance and cruel nature and the thought of having to work with him for the next year was unbearable.

Adam laughed. –Do you really think Greengrass would give it to him?”

Dominique joined in with the laughter. –Well she gave it to me so I guess anything is possible. Who is it then?”

–Well let’s see. He’s tall, he’s devastatingly handsome, incredible at Quidditch, teacher’s favourite and the most popular guy in school. You guessed it, it’s the one and only me,” Adam announced, winking at them causing Dominique to laugh even harder.

–When did you get so arrogant? It normally only extends to Quidditch,” she asked jokingly.

Adam was just about to reply when Molly said, –You didn’t mention anything about Prefect when we met you in Diagon Alley - congratulations.” Dominique noticed that she seemed quite dismayed at this. Maybe she’s just thinking about what Aunt Audrey said, she thought before turning her attention back to the conversation.

–I was talking about Quidditch and got dragged away before I could tell you,” he shrugged. –I figured I would just surprise Dom with it today to stop her from leaving school altogether at the thought of having to spend yet more time with me.”

Dominique smiled. –Come on, I guess we’d better get to the compartment before my darling sister finds yet another reason to hate me. Molly, who are you going to wait with?”

–Erm, probably Ash. I guess I’ll see you later,” she said before heading towards the back of the train. Dominique couldn’t shake the feeling that Molly was upset about something and made a note to ask her about that as well.

–See you later,” Dominique and Adam called back. Dominique found that she had calmed down considerably now that she knew she would be working with Adam for the year; the two of them got on well and she couldn’t help but smile when he was around.

When they arrived in the compartment, Dominique was amazed to see Victoire smiling and looking quite giddy. What’s made her so happy? Dominique thought, not understanding how her sister could go from being an ice queen for the majority of the summer to this.

–Is everyone here?” Victoire asked, looking around at everyone. Dominique was pleased to see that the boy standing at the front with her was Slytherin seventh year Idris Jacobs whom she got on well with. –Excellent. Well, I’d like to say hello and congratulations on becoming prefects. This is an incredible honour so it goes without saying that you are expected to treat it as such. Your job is to set an example to the other students and you risk losing your badge if you are anything but that.” She surveyed the room again, although Dominique noticed that her sister was deliberately avoiding looking at her.

After a short while, Dominique found that she had completely zoned out of the conversation and was not surprised to find that Adam and several of the others in the compartment had done the same. She breathed a sigh of relief once it was all over, anxious to get back to Molly.

–Should we patrol the train a bit now, just to get it out of the way?” Adam asked. Dominique nodded in agreement and the two made their way out of the compartment, getting into an in-depth conversation about Quidditch.

–I was thinking of holding tryouts next week so we can start training to newbies early. I’m used to having an experienced team to work with and now there are four of us left.”

–I think that’s a good idea. It’s going to take me a little while to get into the rhythm of working with two new chasers,” Dominique added. They paused suddenly as they heard shouting from a little way down the train.

–I suppose we better find out what that’s about,” Adam muttered.

Once they reached the commotion, Dominique let out an exasperated sigh; she wasn’t at all surprised by who she found. –Really, you two? We’re not even at school yet.” James and Fred were doing a particularly loud demonstration of a Weasley Wizarding Wheezes product.

–That’s never stopped you before,” James pointed out. Dominique felt herself going red as she realised just how big of a hypocrite she already sounded.

Noticing this, Adam swiftly stepped in. –Just keep the noise down, okay? You don’t want Victoire coming down here and confiscating anything.”

James and Fred looked at each other for a moment before agreeing. –Speaking of Victoire,” James said suddenly, –guess what I saw her doing earlier.”

–What?” Dominique asked curiously.

–She was snogging Teddy!”

–No way!” Dominique gasped, her eyes wide. –But - but he’s with Amelia! He’s engaged!” She couldn’t keep the disapproval out of her voice. What on earth was Teddy playing at? No wonder Victoire had seemed so happy earlier.

–He was,” a cold voice said behind her. Dominique turned around to see Victoire standing behind her and was shocked to see such a satisfied look on her face. Out of the corner of her eye she could see James and Fred slip back into their compartment, clearly hoping to keep out of trouble.

–What do you mean?” Dominique asked, although she was convinced she already knew the answer.

–They broke up.” Dominique was infuriated by how calm and matter-of-fact Victoire sounded. It was as though she had been waiting for this all along and she had finally won something. –You see, Dominique,” Victoire continued, –your plan to humiliate me and keep Teddy away from me doesn’t seem to have worked, does it?”

Dominique stared at her open mouthed. –What in Merlin’s name are you talking about? What plan?” she asked in bewilderment.

–Teddy told me all about your little conversation just before he proposed. You see, most people would want to spare their sister that humiliation and heartbreak of having to watch the love of their life announce his engagement in front of everyone, but you didn’t care. All you cared about was enjoying your precious party for the position you don’t even deserve,” Victoire finished cruelly and stormed off before Dominique could say anything. She just stood there in shock for a moment, tears forming in her eyes.

–Dom?” Adam asked softly.

–Yeah?” she replied, shaking herself out of her thoughts.

–Are you okay? What she just said was pretty harsh.” Dominique forced a small smile as she looked up at him.

–I’m used to it. She used to say things like that all the time when she got angry at me. It’s the only time she’s ever really cruel, when she’s upset or hurt I mean,” she muttered, trying not to show how hurt she was. It was true that Victoire often said harsh things to her when she was upset or angry - it was her way of venting - but this time felt different. This time it felt like she truly meant it and it scared Dominique.

–She still shouldn’t have said anything like that,” he continued.

–Well, that’s Victoire. Although I have to say I think I preferred it when she was ignoring me,” Dominique added. She was trying to keep her voice light, but she couldn’t prevent it from shaking. She was surprised when Adam suddenly wrapped her in a tight hug and even more surprised when she couldn’t stop herself from crying.

–It’s not true what she said, you know. You do deserve this position,” he said gently. Dominique just remained silent, not able to believe him. All the nervousness and worry she had been feeling before had come rushing back to her, strengthened by her sister’s words.

–Come on,” Adam said finally, –we’d better get changed into our robes, we’ll be there soon.”




Dominique, Molly and Adam were sat at the Slytherin table, impatiently waiting for the sorting to begin. This was often the dullest part of the feast, with the occasional exception of some of the speeches, so the three often passed the time making up the life stories of the first years being sorted. The sound of the doors opening signalled the arrival of new students and every sing head in the hall turned to face the terrified eleven-year-olds.

–They’re so small! I swear we weren’t that tiny when we first arrived,” Molly whispered.

–You say that every year,” Dominique grinned. She had cheered up considerably after the Victoire incident thanks to the help of Molly, Adam and her dorm mate Lillian.

–Look there’s Al and Rose!” Dominique looked to where Molly was pointing and smiled when she saw their younger cousins standing nervously.

–What house do you reckon they’ll be in?” Dominique asked.

–They’re both Gryffindors for sure,” she replied and Dominique nodded in agreement.

They waited in anticipation for their cousins to be sorted. –Potter, Albus,” Professor Longbottom eventually called. Dom and Molly straitened in their seats as they watched him make his way to the stool, trembling slightly as he did so. Whispers could be heard around the hall as Al continued to sit there while the minutes dragged on.

–He’s a hatstall!” Molly gasped. Dominique and Adam looked at her in confusion.

–What’s a hatstall?”

–It means that the hat’s torn between what house to put him in. I learnt about it over the summer,” Molly explained. –Mum spent her time tutoring me in –preparation for my OWLs”,” she added hastily at Dominique incredulous look.

At last the hat was ready to declare its verdict. –SLYTHERIN!” it called causing Dom and Molly to look at each other in shock before they began to cheer loudly.

–Move up,” Dominique hissed to Adam so they could make room for Al to sit down.

–Congratulations Al! You made it into the best house there is!” Dominique said lightly, noticing his downcast expression. –What took the hat so long to sort you?” she asked, unable to stop herself.

Al looked at her for a moment before replying, –We had a disagreement.”

–About what?”

–It wants me to be here, I don’t. It won,” Al replied shortly. Dom opened her mouth to say more but he had turned away from her. Well this is going to be fun, she thought wryly.

However Al’s sorting wasn’t the last surprise of the night. The second the hat touched Rose’s head it had already made up its mind and she was sorted into Ravenclaw. Once the sorting had finished, Professor Sprout stood up to give her speech.

–I only have a short speech today,” she said with a wry smile, surveying the hall. Dominique, Molly and Adam looked at each other in relief. –I take great pleasure in welcoming our new students to the school and to extend a fond welcome back to our older students. This year we are also welcoming a new member of staff who will be taking over the role of teaching Charms, so would you please give a warm welcome to Professor Jenkins!”

Polite applause filled the hall and whispers could be heard up and down the Slytherin table. –Dom!” Molly whispered. –Dom, it’s Amelia! Amelia’s our new professor!”
Chapter Endnotes: I hope you liked this. Please feel free to leave a review =)