Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Christmas to Remember by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Hello, dear readers, welcome to my Malfoy version of A Christmas Carol I just have a few quick notes before we get started. This is not a direct rip-off of Charles Dickens’ classic story. The idea is the same, but the problems are entirely Lucius; he’s not just playing the role of Ebenezer Scrooge. Just so everyone knows where I’m going with this.

Also, this story does have a slash warning. Please, read the warnings and don’t yell at me when they come true.

There will also be no daily updates this time. During Save Me many reviewers requested longer chapters so that’s what I’m doing. Because of that, I will not be able to update daily. However, I will update as often as possible and do everything possible to have the story completed before Christmas.

I hope you all enjoy my little tale and thanks so much for reading.

*~*~*

Chapter One: Unexpected Guests

Sitting alone in his study, Lucius listened to the sounds of the house-elf, Minxie, running about and preparing for the holiday. He sipped his Firewhisky, dreading the inevitable moment when he’d be forced to join his family and pretend Christmas meant something. If it was up to him, he’d skip the whole irritating holiday, but it wasn’t up to him. Narcissa wanted Christmas so he went along - for her.

His glass was nearly empty and he was drowsily watching the flames in the fireplace when Narcissa called for him. Despite his desire to remain hidden in his study, her voice brought a smile to his face. Even when she was annoying him with Christmas celebrations, Lucius loved his wife.

With a sigh, Lucius ran a hand through his silky hair and got to his feet. The summons could mean only one thing; the prodigal son had arrived. He knew much of his Christmas Eve would be spent sniping with Draco, but he was still glad his son was making an effort by spending the holidays with them instead of his lover. Maybe there was still hope for Draco.

He wandered down the stairs and into the sitting room. There Narcissa stood in front of the monstrosity she called a tree. The thing was larger than the one he remembered from Hogwarts’ Great Hall. The over-sized tree was buried under an indeterminable number of twinkling lights. Lucius feared if he looked directly at it, he’d go blind. However, the beastly thing pleased Narcissa so he tolerated it each year.

Narcissa studied the tree, failing to notice his arrival. Lucius took the opportunity to study her. She was dressed in a green gown, the v-neck lined with diamonds, calling attention to her slender neck. The dress clung in all the right places, emphasising the perfect figure Narcissa had maintained all her life. Her shinning, blonde hair was piled atop her head in a mass of curls. As always, she was stunning.

Smiling, Lucius stepped up behind her and wrapped her in his arms.

–You’re beautiful,” he whispered.

She turned and brushed her lips against his.

–Happy Christmas, Lucius,” she said with a smile.

He couldn’t bring himself to return the sentiment so instead he said, –Where’s Draco?”

–He’s not here yet,” she replied, stepping out of his arms and settling on the nearest sofa. She folded her hands in her lap and stared down at them.

–I thought that was why you called me,” he said, sitting beside her and desperately trying to read her. –Is something wrong?”

–No.” She continued to study her delicate hands.

–Cissa.”

–I just want to have a nice Christmas,” she told him, meeting his eyes. –Last year Draco wouldn’t even come after you cut him off financially.”

–I’m sorry you missed your son at Christmas, Cissa, but I won’t apologize for removing Draco from the family fortune. The way he’s living his life, he doesn’t deserve it.”

–This is exactly what I’m worried about. Please, don’t goad Draco tonight, Lucius. He’s our son and I want him to feel welcome in his home.”

–Draco is always welcome here,” he replied, slipping his arm around her shoulders. –Assuming he comes alone, of course.”

Narcissa jerked her head back and stared at him with wide eyes. She was about to speak when Minxie scurried into the room.

–Master Draco and Mr. Potter have arrived,” the tiny elf squeaked.

Lucius tore his eyes away from his wife just in time to see Draco enter the room with his shaggy haired boyfriend at his heels. Heat rushed to Lucius’ face as he saw their hands intertwined.

Before he could manage a response, Narcissa was across the room with her arms wrapped around Draco. When she embraced Potter, he bit his tongue to keep from screaming. How could his perfectly rational wife condone this madness?

–Happy Christmas, Father,” Draco said as he moved further into the room. His voice was calm, but Lucius could sense a hint of nervousness in his stride. One some level, Draco knew what he was doing was wrong.

Looking away from his son, Lucius focused his glare on Potter. The brat stayed back, keeping close to Narcissa and refusing to look at him. As he stared at Potter, in his home, invading his family, fury took over. He lost all sense, forgetting his actions would affect his wife.

–What is he doing here?” he demanded coldly.

Potter looked at the ground as Draco glanced between them, clearly confused by the question.

–Lucius,” Narcissa said in a warning voice.

–Why wouldn’t Harry be here?” Draco asked. –It’s Christmas. We’re together. Did you really think I’d come without him?”

–Of course, I did,” Lucius snapped. –You know he’s not welcome here.”

–Lucius, please,” Narcissa pleaded.

–I’ll go,” Harry jumped in, looking up to meet Draco’s eyes. –Spend Christmas with your parents, Draco.”

–No,” he said simply and then turned to Lucius. –I love Harry, Father. If he’s not welcome here, then neither am I.”

–Lucius.”

Narcissa was crying. He wanted to embrace her, wipe away her tears, and give her what she so desperately wanted, but he couldn’t. Just the sight of Potter so close to his son made him ill. He couldn’t condone it. Not even for one night. Not even for Narcissa.

–I’m sorry you feel that way,” he said coldly. –I hope you know it’s not true. You’re my son, and you are always welcome, but I will not allow your abomination of a relationship to take place in my home.”

Draco simply nodded to his father and then pulled a sobbing Narcissa into his arms.

–I’m sorry, Mother. I love you and I wish we could stay.”

–I’m so sorry, Draco,” she cried, her words muffled against Draco’s chest.

–It’s not your fault,” he assured her, pulling her close. –I’m sorry we can’t have Christmas together, but I’ll see you soon, okay? We’ll have you over for dinner. I promise, I’ll see you real soon, but I have to go now.” He kissed her cheek and stepped away.

–I love you, Father,” he said to Lucius before taking Harry’s hand and Disapparating.

The pop announcing their departure echoed through the room, masked only by Narcissa’s cries. She stood in the center of the room, head bowed, and tears flowing freely.

–Narcissa.”

He took a step towards her, but stopped when she looked up at him. Her tear-stained face caused him physical pain, but her eyes were worse. Her eyes held no sparkle, no love. They stared at him with a hatred he never imagined seeing from her.

–Stay away from me,” she snarled and ran from the room.

Following her up the stairs, Lucius saw her slam their bedroom door and heard the locks click into place. He could use magic to open them, but he wouldn’t. He’d upset Narcissa enough. He wouldn’t enter the room without her permission.

–Cissa,” he called. He could still hear her sobs. –Love, please, talk to me.”

–Go away.”

–Cissa, I love you. Let me in and we’ll talk.”

–I have nothing to say to you.”

–I’m sorry Draco left.”

–You should be sorry, you made him leave.”

–I didn’t.”

–He’s not going to leave Harry on Christmas. He loves him.”

–But it’s wrong.”

–You’re the one who’s wrong, Lucius. Now leave me alone. You chased our son away on Christmas. I don’t want to talk to you right now.”

Sighing, Lucius knew he was beat. She wasn’t ready to forgive him. He leaned against the door, knowing it was as close to his wife as he was going to get any time soon.

–I love you.”

–Just go.” Narcissa’s voice had become tired and weak.

Lucius knew that was his cue to back off unless he wanted to be hexed. When Narcissa became quiet, it meant she surpassed angry and it was time to leave her alone. This was a lesson Lucius learned the hard way and was unlikely to forget.

With one last longing look at his bedroom door, Lucius wandered down the hall to the nearest guest room where he’d be spending the night alone.

Collapsing in a well-worn leather chair, he summoned his Firewhisky from the study and proceeded to drink from the bottle. As the alcohol calmed his nerves and eased his guilt about Narcissa’s upset, he thought about the true cause of all his problems: Harry Potter.

The brat had sent him to Azkaban, caused his family’s downfall, and yet his son professed to love him. Lucius could handle his son’s sexuality. He didn’t like it, but he could handle it. What he could never forgive was Draco’s choice of partner. Harry Bloody Potter. It was ludicrous. It was an insult. It was wrong.

Lucius raised the bottle to his lips only to find that it was empty. Cursing, he tossed it aside, his eyes falling on the fireplace fire. Odd. He didn’t remember lighting it. Perhaps Minxie had sneaked in while he was brooding.

For no reason other than drunkenness, he continued to watch the flames perform their hypnotic dance. Sparks shot into the room and Lucius jumped, searching for his wand in anticipation of a blaze. Nothing happened.

–You’re sloshed,” he muttered to himself.

–Indeed you are,” said a cold, familiar voice. –The Lucius Malfoy I once knew would never talk to himself.”

Whipping his head around, Lucius gasped in shock. Standing in front of his fireplace, wearing his customary black robes and scowl, was his old friend. His dead friend.

–S-Severus,” he stuttered. –Y-you’re dead.”

–How astute of you,” Severus muttered with a smirk.

Closing his eyes, Lucius tried to make sense of the situation. Of course, there was no sense to be made. Severus Snape was not in his guest room, mocking him. Severus Snape was dead. This vision of his old friend was simply a hallucination brought on from too much Firewhisky. When he opened his eyes, Severus would be gone and he’d be free to sleep off his drunk.

Opening his eyes, he saw Severus leaning against the fireplace with his eyebrows raised.

–Did you really expect that to work?” he taunted.

–Even as a hallucination, you’re persistent and annoying,” Lucius muttered.

–I’m not a hallucination, you aristocratic fool. I’m a ghost, brought back by the power of Christmas to help an old friend. Although, at the moment, I’m not sure why I bothered.”

–What the bloody hell are you one about?” Lucius muttered, making no sense of the words. This was getting ridiculous. Perhaps he’d already passed out from the alcohol and this was all some bizarre dream. With any luck, he wouldn’t remember any of this in the morning.

Smirking, Severus sat in a chair opposite Lucius without being asked. Lucius was impressed he could sit. He’d never seen a corporeal ghost before. Apparently, his subconscious preferred non-see-through unwanted guests from the great beyond.

–Shall I assume that you have not read Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol?” Severus drawled.

–You shall,” Lucius confirmed with a grin. There seemed to be no escaping the madness so he might as well play along. In truth, he’d missed Severus’ sarcastic jibes.

–Of course not. I couldn’t expect someone like you to read a Muggle book.”

–I’ll have you know, Narcissa and I donate a great deal to Muggle charities. We’re capable of admitting we were wrong.”

–Excellent, considering that is what tonight is all about.”

Lucius sighed in frustration. –And what exactly is that suppose to mean, Severus? Honestly, must you talk in riddles? You obviously spent far too much time with Albus Dumbledore when you were alive.”

Severus pierced him with a glare, but Lucius returned it with a bored smirk. He’d seen far worse things than Severus Snape’s death glare.

–You’re destroying your life and the lives of the people foolish enough to love you,” Severus explained in a monotone voice. –If you continue down this path, you’ll die miserable and alone like I did. Is that clear enough for you, Lucius?”

–You?” He raised his eyebrows. –You helped to bring down the Dark Lord. You’ve been declared a hero. Even Potter remembers you fondly these days. What could you possibly have to regret?”

–I spent my life closed off from the world. I lost the love of my life and I refused to love again.” He stopped to glare again. –But you, Lucius, are worse than me. The love of your life is across the hall, crying herself to sleep because of you. Narcissa deserves better and you know it.”

–Don’t talk about my wife,” Lucius snarled.

–I’ll say only this: if you continue down this path, you’ll lose her and Draco, too.”

–You know nothing about my family.”

–I’m dead. I know all sorts of interesting things.”

Closing his eyes, Lucius rubbed his temples. –What is it that you want, Severus? It’s late. I’m tired. I have a headache. I’d really like to go to bed now.”

–I want to help you. Merlin knows why.”

–How?” Lucius sighed deeply.

–Well, if you’d read A Christmas Carol this would be easier for you to understand.”

–I didn’t read the blasted book. Although, I probably could have while you’ve been mocking me and talking in riddles. As it is, you’ll either have to explain it to me or go away. I suggest the latter.”

–Perhaps you could consider some gratitude,” Severus drawled. –This is for your benefit, after all. Of course, if you wish me to leave, I’ll oblige. Just know, if I go, the day will come when Narcissa and Draco will do the same.”

Lucius wanted to order him out, but a small part of him was paralysed with fear. What if Severus was telling the truth? He couldn’t risk losing Narcissa or Draco. They were his world, the only reason he survived Azkaban.

–Tell me.”

Severus smirked.

–Tonight you’ll be visited by three spirits. They will show you what you need to see. Listen to them, Lucius. Learn from what they have to show you. This is your last chance to make things right.”

–More ghosts? Really, Severus, can’t you do all the talking?”

–That’s not the way it works.” He grinned. –Read the book.”

Lucius was about to tell him where he could put his book when Severus was simply gone. There was no pop, no flash of light, no smoke. His friend was just gone. It was as if he’d never been there at all.

–Well, of course, he wasn’t here,” Lucius muttered, getting to his feet. –Severus is dead and you’re drunk.”

Looking longingly at the bed, Lucius realized he was still fully clothed. His sleeping clothes were in his bedroom with his irate wife. No way was he going to test her patience any further, especially when he was seeing dead people.

He climbed into bed, without undressing, and fell asleep within seconds. Ghosts were the furthest thing from his mind.


A/N: Okay, so this chapter isn’t that long, but it is the shortest in the story. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Reviewers will be loved forever.