Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Christmas to Remember by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Lucius had no idea how much time had passed when he opened his eyes again. However, the room was still dark and the Manor silent. Assuming it was still night, he rolled over to return to sleep.

–Don’t you dare go back to sleep, Malfoy,” a familiar yet unidentifiable voice warned. –I don’t want to sing God Rest Ye Merry Hippogriff, but I will.”

Lucius whipped around to face the intruder, lighting the room with his wand. He gasped when he stared into the unmistakable face of a dead man - for the second time that night. A man he’d seen die. What the hell was wrong with him?

Sirius laughed at his confusion.

–You look like you’ve seen a ghost, Malfoy,” he teased, leaning against the bed railing with a wide smile.

–Isn’t that what you are?” he demanded, sitting up in bed.

–Yes, I suppose so,” Sirius agreed with a laugh, –but you were supposed to be expecting me. Did Snivellus mess-up the message? Honestly, he gets the easiest job and he still can’t do it right.”

–Severus told me about ghosts. Supposedly, you’re here to save me from myself.” For some reason, he had an urge to defend his friend’s competence.

–Well, if you know why I’m here, let’s get on with it. Tonight, I’ll be playing the role of the Ghost of Christmas Past. I’m going to take you to the past and show you what Christmas and your family used to mean to you.”

Lucius didn’t move. He stared disbelievingly at the rather bossy ghost of Sirius Black.

–Well, get up,” Sirius ordered. –We need to get going. Our time is limited. Two more ghosts need to have their way with you tonight.”

–B-but,” Lucius stammered. –Why do you want to help me? The last time I saw you, you punched me in the face.”

Shaking his head, Sirius sighed. –You were attacking my godson. What did you expect? Anyway, I’m not here for you. You’re not the only one who gets hurt by your foolishness, you know. Your wife is my cousin. Even if she is a bit of a bitch, she’s still family.”

–Don’t you dare talk about Narcissa like that.” Lucius lurched out of bed with his wand trained on Sirius.

–What are you going to do?” he asked with a chuckle. –Kill me? I’m afraid you’re a little late. Well, at least, you’re up. And to finish answering your question, I’m also doing this for Harry. What hurts Draco hurts Harry and you’re hurting Draco. Understand? Are we good now?”

The reasoning was sound, although, Lucius didn’t like being reminded that he was hurting his son, especially when the whole bloody thing was Potter’s fault. Why couldn’t that brat just stay away from his family?

–Oh, come on,” Sirius cried, pulling Lucius towards the window, which flew opened as they approached. Cold wind rushed into the room, whipping through Lucius’ hair and causing him to shiver.

–What the hell is wrong with you?” he demanded. –It’s freezing out there. Close that window at once.”

–I can’t.” Sirius smiled. –We’re going out there.”

–Are you nutters? It’s freezing and we’re on the third floor. I have no desire to fall to my death, thank you. Just because you’re a ghost, doesn’t mean the rest of us have to join you.”

–The cold won’t bother you,” Sirius explained. –And all you have to do is hold on to me. We’re going to fly. Honestly, were you always this cowardly? I have no idea what my cousin sees in you.”

–I prefer flying on a broomstick,” Lucius muttered, ignoring the jibe.

–A broomstick can’t take you into the past. I can.”

And with that, Sirius grabbed Lucius and leaped into the freezing night. Somehow Lucius was able to hold back his scream. He simply closed his eyes as wind whipped around him and waited for the embrace of death.

–You can open your eyes now,” Sirius told him. –We’re here.”

Hesitantly, Lucius opened one eye lid and then the other. He was surprised to see that they travelled no great distance at all. In fact, they were standing directly under the window they’d jumped from. Not a great deal of flying involved to accomplish that feat. Although a fair amount of time seemed to have passed as the sky was bright and fresh snow decorated the ground.

–Shall we go inside?” Sirius asked, motioning towards the large door leading to Malfoy Manor.

Lucius started forward with a scowl. –If you only wanted to go downstairs, we could’ve used the steps,” he muttered. –The theatrics are not appreciated, Black.”

–It’s not the where that’s magical, but the when.”

With a quick glare towards Sirius, Lucius reached for the doorknob to let himself into his own house. A gasp escaped his lips as his hand slipped through the brass. Behind him, he could hear Sirius laughing at him once again. At least, he seemed to be enjoying himself.

–I’m dead,” Lucius concluded, staring at the door in disbelief. –You pulled me through the window and I fell to my death.”

Sirius laughed even harder, gasping for breath. Who knew ghosts even needed to breathe? When he turned to face his murderer, Lucius found him hunched over, holding his knees for support. Lucius fixed him with this best glare, but it had no effect. Ghosts just weren’t afraid of him.

When Sirius finally controlled himself enough to speak, he said, –You’re not dead, Malfoy, you great fool. Do you really think I’d waste my time on Earth killing you?”

–It wouldn’t be the most ludicrous thing I’ve heard tonight.”

Sirius grinned. –You’re a spirit here because this isn’t your time. You don’t belong. You’re here to observe. But you’re very much alive.”

–And what am I supposed to be observing? My home? I can do that without a spirit guide.”

–Just go inside,” Sirius sighed.

–I can’t open the door.”

–Walk through it.”

–Are you mad?”

–If by mad, you mean irritated as hell, then yes.”

Lucius wanted to argue further but knew there was no point. For a ghost that was there to help him, Sirius Black was less than helpful. Seeing no other choice, he approached the door. The worst that could happen was he could bang into the wood and look like an idiot. He could live with that. He’d been subjected to far worse humiliation. Closing his eyes, he attempted to step through the solid surface.

Nothing obscured his passage and when he opened his eyes, he was standing in the foyer of his home. Sirius stood beside him with a knowing smirk, but Lucius no longer felt like snarking at the spirit. He was far more intrigued by the transformation of his home. The hall was lined with holly and Christmas flowers. All the scents of the holiday filled the air. No one had put this much effort into decorating the Manor since Dobby was their elf. Something else Potter had taken from his family.

As if reading his mind, the tiny elf scurried in front of him, carrying a long parcel towards the sitting room. Lucius thought he recognized the gift, but it couldn’t be.

–Dobby,” he called out, but the elf didn’t stop to look at him.

–The nerve of that foul beast,” he muttered. –I may not be his master any longer, but he has no right to ignore his superior.”

–He can’t see or hear you,” Sirius explained patiently. –These are the shadows of the past. You can’t interact with them. You are here only to watch and remember.”

No snarky remark came to mind so Lucius remained silent. Despite the absurdity of Sirius’ claim, he couldn’t dispute it. All evidence supported the crazy ghost. Lucius was left with no choice but to go along. When Sirius followed after Dobby, Lucius did the same, without question or comment.

They entered the sitting room, which was even more elaborately decorated than the one in the future. Lucius stopped short when he saw a much younger, much happier version of his family. He studied each of them, wanting nothing more than to stay in this moment forever.

Dobby handed the gift to an eager Draco, seated in front of the tree. The Christmas was easy to place. It was his son’s second. He watched with anticipation as Draco’s chubby hands ripped away the paper from his final gift, even though he remembered the response. His son’s grey eyes lit up as he stared down at the toy broomstick, which would soon be responsible for the destruction of the tree. The genuine excitement of his young child still caused him to smile.

He watched as Draco carried the broomstick towards his parents, seated together on the sofa. Draco hugged them both, without ever letting go of his new toy.

Narcissa’s eyes sparkled with joy; the worry lines that now creased her face were absent. She was beautiful and radiant. Most importantly, she was truly happy and he couldn’t remember the last time he saw her that way.

Beside her sat a younger, less haggard, version of himself. He beamed when Draco threw his arms around him. There was nothing more on his mind than being a father.

He’d forgotten the simple happiness of these times. He’d been a loving father and husband. He had the perfect family. Before the return of the Dark Lord. Before Potter insinuated himself in their lives.

–Can I ride it, Daddy?” Draco asked. –Like the Quich players.”

Lucius’ heart filled and tears came to his eyes. He’d even forgotten there was a time when Draco called him Daddy.

–Of course, you can, my little dragon,” the younger Lucius told him.

–As long as you’re careful,” Narcissa added.

Lucius remembered her arguing that Draco was too young for the gift. Eventually she relented, but he had to make some pretty large assurances about the overall safety of toy broomsticks. It was fortunate for him that he only assured her of Draco’s safety and not the safety of the tree or furniture.

–I bought Harry one of those,” Sirius spoke for the first time sense they entered the living room. –He was a terror on it. James and Lily had to move all the furniture. I think Lily wanted to kill me, but Harry loved it.”

Lucius found a genuine smile for his companion. –Draco destroys the tree before the day’s over,” he confided, –but he loved it, too. I think it was one of the best gifts I ever bought him.”

Before Lucius and Sirius could finish their almost friendly conversation, their attention returned to the young Malfoys. Draco returned to his spot on the floor where he contentedly played with his new plush dragon. His parents promised he could try the broom after breakfast and he was willing to wait. Of course, he was. Draco had always been a wonderful child.

Tearing his eyes away from his angelic son, Lucius turned to watch himself with Narcissa. They were cuddled together, talking softly. He could neither hear the words nor recall them, but they didn’t matter. What mattered was the way Narcissa looked at him with such love. She wasn’t worried that he’d upset their son or disappear into his study for hours of sulking. This Lucius hadn’t hurt her or disappointed her. The older, more worn, Lucius was jealous.

He then watched them share a kiss and his heart soared. He was watching his perfect family from a distance and he just wanted them back - the way they used to be.

Tears stung his eyes when Sirius grasped his arm. He’d forgotten the ghost was even there.

–It’s time to go,” Sirius whispered. –There’s more to see.”

Lucius shook his head, still watching himself with his happy wife. –No, I want to stay.”

–No, you don’t,” Sirius said sadly. –You don’t want to be an invisible observer in their lives, Lucius. Trust me. I know.”

Lucius looked into the sad eyes of his wife’s cousin and really thought about what Sirius was. The word ghost was a lot easier to say than it was to understand.

–Do you watch Harry often? Are his parents with you?”

–We watch him all the time.”

–And you’re all right with Draco?”

Sirius chuckled. –James had quite a fit at first. Probably for the best Harry couldn’t hear him that night. But he came around. Harry’s happy and that’s all any of us ever wanted.”

Lucius nodded, debating his words. Like James Potter, he wanted his son to be happy. Was his disapproval the only thing keeping Draco from being truly happy?

–We need to go,” Sirius reminded him gently.

Lucius looked at his family one last time and nodded.

–You might want to close your eyes again,” Sirius suggested as he clutched Lucius’ arm.

Without thinking about it, Lucius obeyed. He could feel movement around him, but refused to open his eyes. Sirius would tell him when it was safe. At some point, he started trusting his guide and he decided to just go with it.

–We’re here,” Sirius told him.

Once again, when Lucius opened his eyes, he hadn’t moved. He was still standing in his sitting room, but everything around him had changed. He’d taken another leap through time.

The Manor was still decorated for Christmas, but in a much more subdued manner. A small tree replaced the large one and no additional decorations adorned the walls. Lucius easily remembered this holiday, too. It was the first after the true defeat of the Dark Lord.

He turned to see himself still seated on the sofa with his wife, but it was clear how much time passed. He was haggard and broken, still recovering from so many things. Narcissa, too, had aged, but she was still beautiful. Unlike him, she hadn’t allowed herself to be beaten by the war. As he got weaker, she grew stronger.

He watched as she curled close to him and he held her in his arms. No matter what they’d endured, they still loved each other.

–Happy Christmas, Lucius,” she whispered.

–Happy Christmas, my love,” replied, kissing her forehead.

He could still remember the way he felt that morning. Just being there with Narcissa. He’d been so grateful they survived the war and still had each other. That was probably the happiest Christmas of his life.

When Draco entered the room, still dressed in his pyjamas, Narcissa was still snuggled in Lucius’ arms. Like his father, Draco took the war hard. He was nearly destroyed by his guilt. But that morning he seemed to share in Lucius’ gratitude. He smiled warmly at his parents before sitting in an oversized chair opposite them.

–Happy Christmas, sweetheart,” Narcissa told him. –I love you.”

–I love you, too, Mother.”

And that was all that was said. They simply sat, happy to be together. Lucius remembered they didn’t touch the gifts until evening. None of them cared what was under the tree that year. They’d already gotten the best gift of all - each other.

–You have a beautiful family,” Sirius told him. –You’ve lost sight of that.”

–No,” Lucius argued. –I love them both - more than anything.”

–There’s one more Christmas to see. Take my arm.”

Lucius obeyed without hesitation, closing his eyes. It was amazing how quickly he adapted to the idea of ghostly time travel. After sharing his home with the Dark Lord for a year, Lucius believed there was nothing he couldn’t adjust to.

Upon opening his eyes, he found his sitting room transformed once again. The tree was bigger and more elaborately decorated. Various Christmas knickknacks were scattered around the room. Music even played softly in the background.

There was nothing specific about the room to alert him to the year. The only detail that struck him was the darkness beyond the window. All of his other encounters had taken place on Christmas morning. Something about the break in pattern made him apprehensive.

–Is this Christmas Eve?” he asked Sirius.

–Yes.”

Before he could quiz his ghostly guide any further, he was interrupted by himself entering the room with Narcissa and Draco. They each clutched a wine glass and were in high spirits, laughing about something he could no longer recall.

However, he now knew which holiday season was unfolding before his eyes. The last truly happy one he’d ever experienced. The last Christmas before Draco announced his relationship with Potter.

He watched his family settle on the sofa. Narcissa leaned into his arms and pulled Draco into hers. When he was twelve, Lucius stopped allowing his mother to be affectionate towards him, believing it showed weakness. He was always proud Draco didn’t make the same mistake. Draco denied his mother nothing.

–I’m sorry Aunt Andromeda didn’t respond to your letter, Mother.”

–She never does, darling,” Narcissa replied and Lucius could hear the sadness in her voice.

–But still you write her every Christmas. You must think there’s a chance she’ll reply.”

–Hope is important, Draco,” she told him. –So is faith. They are especially important when dealing with someone you love. I’ll never give-up on my sister. Maybe someday she’ll be able to forgive me.”

Lucius was struck by his wife’s words, far more so than he had been the first time. Was this the philosophy both Narcissa and Draco were applying to him now? Were they just hoping he’d grow to forgive Potter? Did they still have faith in him?

Yawning, Narcissa announced, –I think it’s time for bed.”

Draco moved so she could get up.

–Coming Lucius?” she asked with a wide grin, extending her hand to him.

A smile touched Lucius’ lips as he watched his former self accept her hand. He remembered this part of the night well. Yawning or not, Narcissa was not at all tired when they got upstairs.

–Are you staying up, son?” he asked, stopping in the doorway.

–For a little while. Sleep well. I love you both.”

–We love you, too, Draco,” Narcissa replied before they left the room.

When Draco sat alone on the sofa, Lucius turned his attention to Sirius, assuming it was time to move on. He wouldn’t have minded going upstairs, but he very much doubted Sirius wanted to see his cousin’s sexual exploits. Come to think of it, he didn’t really want Sirius to see that either.

–There’s more to see,” Sirius told him.

Raising his eyebrows, Lucius continued to stare.

Sirius laughed. –Don’t worry; we’re not going to watch you and Narcissa. I saw the way you were looking at each other. I know exactly what you’re doing. We’re staying down here with your son.”

–Why?”

–You’ll see,” Sirius replied with a mischievous grin.

At that moment, Draco rose from the sofa and went to the doorway. He stood there for a few minutes as if listening for something. When he was satisfied, he approached the fireplace and made a firecall that he couldn’t hear.

–Who’s he talking to?”

–Just wait.”

Draco stepped back from the fireplace and a few seconds later someone stepped through it into Draco’s arms. When they kissed, Lucius looked away.

–Potter,” he spat.

Sirius said nothing.

The two boys disentangled themselves only to sit on the sofa and return to each other’s arms. Draco rested his head on Harry’s chest and sighed with contentment. They looked genuinely happy and in love.

–I’m sorry you had to wait,” Draco said. –I’m sorry we can’t be together on Christmas Day.”

–It’s okay,” Harry assured him, nuzzling his neck.

Despite all the hatred he had stored for this boy, Lucius found himself feeling grateful to Harry Potter. He was good to Draco, kind and understanding. Had he ever put Narcissa in a position like that on Christmas Eve, she’d have hexed him into oblivion and rightly so.

–It’s not okay,” Draco argued. –It’s Christmas and I want to be with you. You spent the whole night in that awful little flat by yourself. This isn’t fair to you. You deserve better.”

–Don’t call my flat awful,” Harry replied, slapping him playfully. –And I wasn’t alone. Ron and Hermione came to keep me company. Ron’s finally getting it through his thick head that I’m not going to marry his sister. He might even forgive me by next Christmas. As for what I deserve, who cares? I want you.”

–I don’t deserve you.”

–But you’ll keep me, right?”

Their lips met, and this time Lucius didn’t look away. Watching his son snog Potter was awkward, but not nearly as disturbing as he expected.

–Forever,” Draco answered Potter’s question when they pulled apart.

–Good.”

–I will tell them, you know. My parents. I just don’t know how. They don’t even know I’m gay. When I add the extra shock of you, I just don’t know what they’ll do. You’re really not their favorite person.”

–Really?” Harry laughed. –I had no idea.”

–It’s not funny, Harry.”

–I know.” He kissed Draco’s neck. –I’m sorry this is so hard for you. But I love you, no matter what. Your parents will to.”

–We’re spending next Christmas together,” Draco promised.

–Okay,” Harry replied, moving to look at Draco. –But what about this Christmas? Are you going to celebrate with me?” Harry’s hand wandered towards Draco’s crotch and Lucius quickly looked away.

–And that would be our cue to leave,” Sirius announced, grabbing Lucius’ arm as he closed his eyes.

–You’re back,” Sirius told him.

Lucius opened his eyes to find himself back in the guest room. The bed was askew and the empty Firewhisky bottle lay on the floor. He was indeed back, but he wasn’t at all sure how he felt about that.

–That’s it?” he asked.

–That’s it for me. You have two other ghosts to see tonight. For now, get some rest. Think about what you’ve seen. I hope you do the right thing, Lucius, for you and your family.”

Lucius stretched out on the bed and turned back to speak to Sirius only to find him gone.