Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Christmas to Remember by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
When Lucius was awoken a second time, he was far less confused. He remembered both Severus and Sirius and knew he was about to meet with yet another dead acquaintance. Lighting his wand, he found himself staring into the face of a niece he hadn’t known in life.

–Good evening, Nymphadora,” he said calmly.

–Don’t call me Nymphadora,” she warned in a voice that was far scarier than he’d ever heard from her Aunt Narcissa.

–Very well,” he replied, taking her anger in stride. –How would like to be addressed?”

–Call me Tonks.”

–All right then, Tonks,” he said, keeping his tone light and conversational. –May I ask why I’m haunted by the spirits of my wife’s dead relatives? Are you certain you wouldn’t rather haunt her? She’s just across the hall.”

–I know very little about the other spirits,” she replied. –I’m playing the role of the Ghost of Christmas Present. I’m only interested in the here and now.”

–Well, I suppose I can handle some irritating family members,” Lucius said as he climbed out of bed. –After all, it is Christmas. But if the next ghost is Bellatrix, I may be forced to rekill the bitch.”

–Perfectly understandable,” Tonks agreed.

Lucius grinned. He expected his teasing to grate on his niece, but she matched his tone without difficulty. The girl definitely had spunk. He had to admit, he rather liked her.

–So what happens now?”

–I’m going to show you this Christmas. It’ll be the same as your trip to the past. No one will see or hear us. But on the plus side, it’s easier to move around in the present. There’s no time travel involved so it’ll just feel like side-along Apparation to you.”

–That is good news.”

–Are you ready to go, Uncle Lucius?”

–Uncle?” He raised his eyebrows.

–Sorry, I don’t have to call you that, but you are my uncle.”

–No,” he said quickly, –it’s fine. Nice, actually. I was only surprised you’d want to say it. Narcissa and I were never family to you.”

Tonks shrugged. –No, but a lot has changed since I was alive. I think I’d be welcome in your lives now. Anyway, we really don’t have time to talk about what ifs. We need to go. Take my hand.”

Lucius obeyed and they disappeared with a familiar pop.

They reappeared in a setting room that was very different from the one at Malfoy Manor. The room was modest, but stylish. Lucius immediately felt at home there, although he’d never been there before.

His eyes wandered to the traditional tree and the small, blue-haired boy seated beneath it playing with a chess set. He was focused on his new toy, watching the figures destroy each other.

–T-that’s my son,” Tonks told him, her voice cracking.

Looking away from the child, Lucius focused on the young woman beside him. He couldn’t imagine her pain. If he’d been ripped away from Draco’s life before his first birthday, he wouldn’t have been able to handle it.

–Are you all right?” he asked, surprising himself by taking her hand.

–Fine,” she replied with a small smile. –I watch him every day with Remus. We love him so much.”

–I’m sorry.”

–Thanks, but this is about you, not me. I can’t change anything in my life, but you still have a chance.”

–Thank you,” he said, –for trying to help me.”

Tonks just smiled.

Andromeda walked into the room, ending their conversation. She’d aged. Her skin was creased and grey streaks had appeared in her hair. But like her little sister, she remained beautiful.

She sat in a raggedy chair with a handful of parchment. She looked at the papers with a great sadness.

Without asking permission, Teddy climbed onto her lap and pointed at the papers. –What are those, Grandma?”

–Letters from my sister.”

Lucius gasped. Narcissa’s letters. Judging from the stack of parchment, Andromeda saved every single one. Why hadn’t she answered? A simple hello from her sister would mean so much to Narcissa.

–Narcissa, right?”

Warmth flooded Lucius. Little Teddy knew his wife’s name. Andromeda spoke of her. Maybe Narcissa hadn’t held out hope all these years for nothing. Maybe she would get her sister back after all.

–Yes, her name’s Narcissa.”

–She writes every Christmas.”

–Yes.”

–Do you write her?”

–No.”

–Why not?”

–It’s complicated, Teddy-bear.”

–Do you love her?”

Andromeda hesitated, and Lucius waited for the answer with far more anticipation than Teddy.

–Of course, I love her. She’s my sister.”

–But you never see her. Don’t you miss her?”

–I’ve missed her for a long time.”

–Will I ever meet her?”

–I don’t know, Teddy-bear.”

–You should write her, Grandma.”

Andromeda looked surprised. –Why do you say that?”

–Cause you miss her. You should invite her over.”

–Maybe someday,” Andromeda replied with a sad smile, –but for today, you should get out of your pyjamas. I bet Harry and Draco will show-up before the day’s over.”

–Yay,” Teddy cried, jumping off her lap and rushing from the room, presumably to dress.

Lucius wasn’t surprised that Andromeda spoke of Draco and Harry as a couple so casually. She married a Muggle-born when it was still forbidden. Her daughter married a werewolf. If anyone was used to unorthodox relationships, it was Andromeda Tonks. He was, however, surprised that Teddy seemed unaware Draco was Narcissa’s son. Maybe they thought it would be less confusing for him.

With Teddy gone, Andromeda returned to the letters with tears in her eyes. It was so obvious she wanted to reach out to Narcissa. Why didn’t she do it? She knew Narcissa loved and missed her. She told her every year.

–We have to go,” Tonks told him, taking his hand.

–Why won’t she contact Narcissa?”

–That’s not for me to say, but I think you’ll know before the night is over. Are you ready?”

Knowing he would learn nothing more there, he nodded his consent. Once again, they were gone with a pop.

When they reappeared in a tiny setting room with a tree far too elegant for its surroundings, Lucius knew exactly where they were. They were in the flat Draco once called awful, but now called home. Although it was mostly his fault the boys couldn’t afford better since he cut Draco off financially, something Narcissa scolded him about daily.

–Is this really necessary?” he whined to his niece. –I know my son is living with Harry Potter. Must I be reminded of it, even on a spiritual journey? Damn Sirius already forced me to watch them snogging on my sofa.”

–I didn’t make the schedule.” Tonks shrugged. –You see what you need to see, not what you want to see.”

–I didn’t need to see Potter’s lips all over my son and I certainly don’t need a repeat performance.”

Crossing her arms, she glared at him with a frown that truly demonstrated her Black heritage. Andromeda would be proud.

–Did it really bother you to see it, Uncle Lucius?” she demanded. –Are you that disgusted to see your son happy and in love?”

–No,” he admitted, looking away from her penetrating gaze. –It was less upsetting than I expected.”

–Because you love your son. Now, pay attention. You just might grasp how much Harry means to him.”

Harry entered the room alone, dressed in a fluffy dressing gown and sipping a cup of tea. He flicked his wand toward the tree and the lights came alive, offering a soft glow. He then perched on the sofa, presumably to wait for Draco.

The wait didn’t last long. Within seconds, Draco joined him, his hair uncombed, still wearing his satin pyjamas. He pecked Harry’s lips before sitting beside him.

Lucius shot Tonks a meaningful look, but she ignored him.

–You okay?” Harry asked, pulling Draco close to him.

–Sure.” He nodded before resting his head on Harry’s chest. –My father hates me and kicked me out on Christmas Eve. I’m fine with that. Should’ve expected it really.”

Lucius tensed at the thought of hating his son. It wasn’t true. It wasn’t even possible. Could Draco, his little dragon, really believe it?

–He doesn’t hate you,” Harry replied. –He hates me. He also only threw me out of his house on Christmas Eve. You could’ve stayed.”

–Not without you, love. Never without you.”

Harry shook his head, pulling Draco closer. –I love you, but so does your mother. She was devastated when you left.”

–I know,” Draco sighed. –I worry about her, you know. My problems with Father really hurt her and he sure as hell doesn’t do anything to make it easier on her. Sometimes I think she’d be better off if she just left him, but that’ll never happen.”

Lucius felt like he’d been struck. He and Draco had their problems, but he never expected this. Narcissa meant everything to him and his own son didn’t think he was worthy of her that she’d be better off without him. Was he such a horrible father? Husband? Man?

Once again, it was Potter who offered him a slight defense. He had no idea what to make of that. But if Potter was his biggest supporter, the ghostly world was right to meddle in his life. Obviously, he was doing something dreadfully wrong.

–She loves him,” Harry replied. –He loves her, too.”

–He used to,” Draco said, with a sad smile, –but I’m not sure he does anymore. I’m not sure he loves anyone anymore. Sometimes I think I disappointed him so badly that he just can’t love anymore.”

Tears fell down Lucius’ cheeks. He wasn’t one to cry, but he couldn’t hold back. He never imagined that he’d hurt his son so badly. He wanted Draco to question Harry’s place in his life, not his own place in Lucius’.

–None of that is true,” Harry told him, voicing Lucius’ thoughts. –I won’t pretend to understand your father, but there are things I know about him after all these years. He loves you and he loves your mother. Even when he’s being an arse, he loves you both. And I don’t believe he’s disappointed in you. He just doesn’t like your taste in men.”

–He doesn’t like that I like men.”

–I don’t care about that,” Lucius cried, knowing he couldn’t be heard. He could do nothing to comfort or reassure his son. He had no choice but to leave Draco in Harry’s hands.

–Probably not,” Harry agreed and Lucius cringed, –but I think he would deal with it, if you were with anyone other than me. Well, me or one of the Weasleys. That would really piss him off, too.”

Draco snorted. –Well, that’s one thing he’ll never need to worry about, especially since I’m staying with you forever.”

Harry looked towards the place where Lucius stood, despite the fact that he couldn’t see him. Lucius felt like he was staring into him. Of course, it was impossible, but the feeling caused him to shiver.

–Why?” Harry finally asked. –Why do you want to stay with me? I’m tearing your family apart. I can’t possibly be worth it.”

The hurt in his eyes was so genuine, Lucius could feel it. For the first time, he felt sorry for Harry Potter. He felt regret for hurting a boy who clearly loved his son.

Draco sat up so he could look into Harry’s eyes. –You’re a prat. I love you. You’re the one who can talk me down when I’m being ridiculous. You’re the one who makes me feel safe when I wake-up from a nightmare. Harry, you’re the one who completes me. To me, you’re worth anything and everything. Don’t ever forget that. And you’re not the one tearing my family apart, Father is. Mother sees how happy you make and she loves you for it.”

–I love you, too,” Harry brushed his lips, –and your mother. She’s been very good to me.”

–God, I hate to think of her today,” Draco sighed, resting his head back on Harry’s chest. –I know she’s miserable. It’s Christmas. Father could’ve let her have the holiday, and then been arse to you again in the New Year, but no. He wouldn’t even give her that.”

–I almost invited her here for dinner.”

Draco laughed. –Me too, but then I remembered we have no food.”

–Exactly. We really should’ve been more prepared. We knew your father hated me. We should’ve seen this coming.”

–Guess we were being ridiculously optimistic,” Draco replied. –What are we doing for dinner anyway? I don’t relish the idea of concocting a Christmas feast out of whatever we can find in the kitchen and I refuse to go to the Weasleys. Half of them look at me like I’m the next Dark Lord.”

–Andromeda’s?” Harry suggested with a shrug. –She seems to enjoy feeding us and I wanted to see Teddy today anyway.”

–Perfect,” Draco agreed with a smile. –You know, I never understood her. She won’t speak to Mother after years of letters, but she welcomed me into her home like a long lost son.”

–Darling, your family makes no sense. As far as I can tell, no family does. Just go with it.”

Draco chuckled.

–Anyway, we should get dressed if we’re going over there. Andromeda’s pretty tolerant, but bath robes and pyjamas might be pushing it,” Harry said.

–One thing first,” Draco replied, sitting up with a nervous expression. –We may not have prepared for Christmas dinner or being kicked out of the Manor, but I did plan for one thing. Something I want to see through before we leave.”

Lucius’ stomach lurched when he realised what Draco was going to do. Worst of all, he didn’t know if it was from revulsion or excitement.

–He wouldn’t.”

–Of course, he would,” Tonks replied, speaking for the first time since this scene began to unfold.

–What’s that?” Harry asked with a wide smile, clearly more oblivious than the two invisible observers.

Draco reached for his wand and a fireworks display played out in the room. Sparks of every color danced around forming hearts and flowers. The whole scene was rather impressive. For the grand finale, the sparks spelled: Will you marry me? Lucius felt an unexplained sense of pride towards his son.

When Harry turned back to Draco his eyes were wide. Draco was holding a small box, containing two simple, yet elegant, rings.

–You’re a nut,” Harry managed to say.

–But I’m your nut,” Draco replied without losing his nerve. –I used most of my speech trying to convince you that you were worthy and the rings aren’t anything special, but…”

–Shut up,” Harry interrupted, taking his hand. –Your speech was beautiful. Your fireworks were beautiful. The rings are beautiful. You are beautiful and of course I’ll marry you. I love you, Draco.”

Draco’s eyes glistened as he took a ring from the box and slid it on Harry’s finger. Smiling, Harry did the same.

When they kissed, Lucius didn’t cringe or look away. He actually smiled, unable to deny the happiness Harry had given Draco. There was no denying it; Harry Potter was a permanent fixture in his son’s life and for the first time, he wasn’t upset about that.

He was watching the two snuggle, a goofy grin on his face, when Tonks told him it was time to go.

–Can’t we stay awhile longer?”

Tonks giggled. –I know they’re adorable, but you can watch them as often as you want if you just accept them into your life. There’s nothing they want more. Nothing your wife wants more.”

Nodding, Lucius accepted the truth of her words.

–We need to go,” she insisted.

Again, he nodded, taking one last look at Draco and Harry before they Apparated to their next destination.

Lucius found himself standing in the third floor hallway of his home, watching himself. Seeing his younger self was unnerving, but watching an identical version of himself, right down to his heated slippers, was darn creepy. Tonks laughed at his obvious discomfort, but offered no words of advice.

With a sigh, he resigned himself to observing himself. There was something here the spirits wanted him to see and so far he believed their insights to be invaluable, albeit sometimes painful.

–Narcissa,” his other self called through the closed bedroom door, –it’s nearly noon. Please, come out.”

–Go away.”

–You can’t stay in there forever. We need to talk.”

–There’s nothing to talk about. You treat our son like rubbish.”

–I don’t,” Lucius insisted.

The Lucius observing the scene no longer agreed. He treated Draco badly enough that his son doubted his love. Narcissa was right to be furious.

–You won’t let him touch the family money. You won’t let his boyfriend in the house. You’re lucky he even speaks to you.”

–He’s lucky I speak to him after bringing that Potter brat into our lives. If I didn’t love him so much, I’d disown him completely.”

Lucius cringed at his own words.

The door flew open and Narcissa glared at him with a tear-stained face. Her hair was dishevelled and she was dressed in plain robes. She hardly looked like herself.

–If you love our son, show him,” she challenged. –This isn’t about you, Lucius. He loves Harry. They’re happy together and they’re staying together. You want to prove your love for Draco? Accept Harry.”

–I won’t.”

–Then maybe you don’t love your son that much, after all,” she said before slamming the door in his face.

He stalked off down the hall, slamming the guest room door.

–I don’t even agree with myself anymore,” he told Tonks.

–Considering the goal of this intervention, that’s probably a good thing.”

He shook his head. –She was in so much pain. I hurt her so badly and I didn’t even care. I just kept fighting with her. No wonder Draco thinks she should leave me. I don’t deserve her.”

When Tonks didn’t reply, he looked to her. He gasped when he saw that she was fading. Already she was nearly translucent. Soon she’d be gone and the thought saddened him. He hadn’t known her while she was alive because of his misplaced loyalties and ludicrous beliefs. And she made the effort to help him.

–My time with you is short,” she explained. –You’ve made many mistakes, but it’s not too late to fix them. Narcissa and Draco love you. Never forget that. The next ghost will come to you here. Good luck, Uncle Lucius.”

–Thank you,” he whispered, but Tonks was gone.