Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Christmas to Remember by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Opening his eyes, Lucius saw that he was no longer clinging to Bellatrix’s robes, but to the bed sheets in the guest room. He was kneeling by the bed with tears streaming down his face, but he didn’t care. All that mattered was that he was back. He’d been given a second chance to build a good life for himself and his family.

Lucius patted his body, assuring himself that he was real and among the living. But just because he was alive, didn’t guarantee Narcissa was. What if the spirits cruelly dumped him in the bleak future after his wife’s suicide, forcing him to live through a year without her before his own demise?

–Minxie,” he called for the house-elf with a slight tremor in his voice.

A pop announced the little creature’s arrival and she looked up at him with wide, frightened eyes. In a future that would never come to pass, this elf was the only one to stand by him and the tiny being was terrified of him. That was something else he would need to rectify.

–Where’s Narcissa?” he asked, trying to sound both calm and kind.

–In her room, sir.”

Relief flooded him.

–She’s all right then?”

Minxie looked confused. –She’s still mad at Sir.”

Lucius laughed so filled with relief. –Of course, she is. Rightfully so. I did kick our son out on Christmas Eve. But mistakes can be fixed.”

The little elf looked so perplexed that she was near tears. She didn’t know what to make of a babbling, laughing Lucius. She didn’t know what reaction might lead to a sound beating so she simply stared at the floor.

–Tell me, Minxie, it is Christmas Day?”

–Yes, of course, sir.”

–Excellent.” He clapped his hands together. –And can you have a feast prepared for six? I plan on six for the meal, myself and Narcissa included.”

At the idea of a task, the elf nodded enthusiastically. –Yes, sir. Yes, sir. Minxie will do real good, sir. Minxie will.”

–I know, you will.” Lucius smiled and patted his servant on the head. –You are a good and loyal elf.”

–Minxie thanks you, sir.”

–And I want you to know that I won’t hit you again,” he went on. –I was wrong to treat you like that. I don’t want you punishing yourself either. There is no need. You are a good house-elf.”

Eyes filled with tears, Minxie Disapparated from the room. He’d certainly made her Christmas. Too bad everyone else on his list was bound to be less forgiving.

Glancing in the mirror, Lucius wondered if his appearance could be deemed presentable. A quick spell fixed his hair and freshened him. He wasn’t thrilled about wearing yesterday’s robes, but all of his clothing was neatly packed away in the closet of the master bedroom. The master bedroom where his wife was currently brooding. He wasn’t ready to talk to Narcissa so yesterday’s robes were just going to have to do.

Shrugging, he left the room, entering the deserted hall. The bedroom door was firmly closed, but he could hear movement inside. He hoped Narcissa wasn’t burning his prized possessions to a crisp, but he had to admit, if she was, he rather deserved it. As long as she didn’t hurt herself in the process, he really didn’t care that much.

Giving the bedroom one last cautious glance, he slipped into his personal study. A single spell revealed a wall vault behind his mahogany desk. The vault opened at his touch and within seconds he was holding the tiny box he sought. The contents were meant for his first grandson, but he’d found a different home for it.

He slipped the box into his robes without a single regret. He knew he was doing the right thing.

Before Disapparating from the Manor, he concealed the vault and made some adjustments to the property’s protective wards. Another gesture that brought him no regret.

He Apparated to a modest home that he’d seen for the first time in his dreams the night before. He wasn’t surprised when everything looked how he remembered it. He’d long given-up pretending his visitations weren’t real.

Without giving himself time to think about what he’d say, he knocked on the door. As he waited for a response, he tried not to envision the door being slammed in his face, even if it was what he deserved.

Andromeda was clutching parchment that he acknowledged as Narcissa’s letters when she opened the door. When she recognized him, her eyes widened and her mouth formed an ‘o’ of surprise. But she didn’t slam the door. So far so good.

–Harry Christmas, Andromeda,” he said. –May I come in?”

Unable to find her voice, she nodded, standing back so he could enter.

Before any further words could be exchanged between them, the blue haired boy from Lucius’ dream entered the room, eying him suspiciously.

–Who are you?” he demanded.

–Don’t be rude, Teddy,” Andromeda scolded before Lucius could respond. –This is Lucius. He’s Narcissa’s husband. Now, why don’t you go play by the tree while we talk?”

Teddy obediently turned to leave the room.

–Nice to meet you,” Lucius called after him.

Teddy rewarded him by shooting him a warm smile before retreating from the room.

–I don’t mean to be rude,” Andromeda said once they were alone, –but I don’t understand why you’re here.”

–I’ve come to apologize and invite you and your lovely grandson to Christmas dinner.”

She stared.

–Narcissa misses you and I know you miss her, too.” He nodded towards the letters, still in her hand. –You both made choices that lead to your estrangement, but I believe I’m the reason it lasted so long. I was the one with the strongest ties to evil, but my family paid the price. Narcissa has changed as have I. We both want you back in our lives. Please, join us for dinner tonight.”

She continued to stare, but finally said, –I don’t know what to say.”

–Say yes. It would mean the world to Narcissa. And if things don’t go the way you want, you can hex me.”

–Yes,” she said, after only a moment’s hesitation.

Lucius beamed. –Excellent. Six?”

–That’s fine,” she nodded.

–Also, I’ve adjusted the Manor’s security wards to allow you and Teddy the same level of access as the rest of the family. You can Apparate onto the ground or directly into the Manor at any time. I want you to feel welcome. You are. You’re family.”

–Thank you, Lucius.”

She surprised him by pulling him into a hug. He surprised himself even more by returning the embrace without hesitation.

–I’m afraid we don’t have any gifts for little Teddy,” Lucius told her when they broke apart. –We had a rocky start to the holiday. However, I’d like to remedy that with a trip to Diagon Alley tomorrow, with your permission, of course.”

–You don’t have to do that.”

–I want to.”

–Promise you won’t spoil him too horribly?”

–No.”

Andromeda laughed, shaking her head. –At least, you’re honest. Fine, you can take Teddy shopping.”

–Wonderful. I shall see you at six.”

He gave her a quick peck on the cheek before re-entering the cold winter day.

Minutes later he was standing outside a flat he swore never to visit. The entire area was pedestrian, completely inappropriate for a Malfoy. He wondered how Draco could even stand it there after living his life in luxury. Of course, he had little choice since Lucius cut him off from the family fortune. His son had been living in abject poverty and the thought sickened him.

Taking a deep breath, he raised his hand to the door. He knew this visit would be more difficult than the first. No words could take away the pain he caused his son. He could only hope Draco and Harry would be willing to give him a second chance, if not for his sake, then for Narcissa’s.

Laughter greeted Lucius when the door was pulled open by a wet-haired, shirtless Harry Potter. The laughter died on his lips when he recognized Lucius. All merriment drained from his face and his eyes filled with shock.

–M - Mr. Malfoy,” he stammered.

–Hello, Harry,” he replied. –May I come in?”

–Yes, of course.”

As Harry motioned for him to come inside, Lucius took notice of the new ring on the boy’s finger, but hid his smile. He was pleased that his unexpected visit hadn’t interrupted his son’s Christmas morning proposal.

–What’s taking so long?” Draco whinged as he entered the room. –Hermione, if you’re rowing with the weasel…” he stopped short when he saw Lucius. –Father, what are you doing here? Has something happened to Mother?”

–Other than being furious with me, your mother is just fine,” he assured. –I was hoping to talk to you and Harry.”

–You could’ve done that last night,” Draco replied coldly. –You chose to cast us out.”

–I did.” He nodded. –It was cruel and foolish. I’m very sorry about last night and every other time I treated the two of you unfairly. Draco, Dragon, you’re my son and I love you. I’ve treated you badly and I’m sorry. Harry, I’m sorry for the way I’ve treated you, too. All you’ve done is love my son and for that I’m grateful.”

Like Andromeda, both boys stared at him, no idea what to make of his unexpected words. It was Draco who finally spoke.

–Are you drunk, Father? Do you need me to get you home?”

He laughed. Well, that wasn’t the response he was aiming for.

–No, I’m not drunk, Draco. I’ve just realized my actions are hurting the people I love. I don’t want to force you out of my life or out of your mother’s life. We both love you very much.”

–Err…maybe we should sit down,” Harry suggested.

Draco nodded and led the way to the sitting room. He settled on the sofa with Harry, taking his fiancé’s hand as if daring Lucius to have a problem with it. He had no such problem and sat across from them with a warm smile.

–I see congratulations are in order,” he said, nodding towards the boys’ ringed fingers. –Narcissa will be thrilled. You will let her plan the wedding, won’t you?”

–We can’t afford Mother’s taste,” Draco replied.

–Of course, you can. You’re a Malfoy, son. And once I get to Gringotts in the morning, you’ll have full access to all the family accounts. I apologize for ever depriving you of them. Harry, you’ll have access, too, after the wedding. It’s tradition to wait.”

–You’re serious?” Draco demanded.

–Mr. Malfoy, I’m not with Draco for some monetary payoff,” Harry declared at the same time.

Lucius laughed. –Yes, Draco, I’m serious. And, Harry, I know why you’re with my son. You love him. You’re still entitled access to the Malfoy funds upon marriage. I trust you’ll both make good use of the money available to you.”

Again, the boys appeared speechless so Lucius decided to continue.

–Harry, I’d also like for you to call me Lucius. I’ll be your father-in-law soon and Mr. Malfoy just sounds ridiculous.”

–Umm…all right, Lucius,” he replied awkwardly.

–And I have a gift for you,” Lucius went on, retrieving the box from his pocket. –Something to welcome you to the family.”

–You don’t have to give me anything,” Harry argued. –Your acceptance is all I’ve ever wanted. I never wanted to cause a rift in your family.”

–Of course, you must have a gift, beyond my acceptance, which you also have. It’s Christmas, after all.”

–What about me?” Draco teased.

Lucius snorted. –You have plenty of gifts waiting for you, you spoiled prat.”

Crossing his arms, Draco pretended to sulk, but was entirely ignored. Lucius knew his son. Draco was secretly pleased that he was focusing on Harry. His son wanted his family to be whole.

Lucius offered the box to Harry and felt that he’d earned a small victory when the boy accepted it. He watched expectantly as Harry opened the lid, hoping the boy would take the gift in the spirit it was given. Harry’s eyes widened and a smile broke across his face.

–Lucius, are you sure you want me to have this?”

–What is it?” Draco demanded, peering over Harry’s shoulder. His son looked as shocked as his lover. He touched the identical ring on his right hand. –The Malfoy ring.”

–Yes, Harry, I want you to have it. And I hope you’ll choose to wear it. You’re a Malfoy now in every way that matters.”

–And every male Malfoy gets a crest ring,” Draco said happily, brushing his lips against Harry’s cheek. –It’s tradition.” He turned to Lucius. –This means so much to me, Father. Thank you.”

–You’re most welcome, Draco.”

They both waited for Harry to respond. He simply stared at the ring, his expression unreadable. Lucius began to worry that the ring was a mistake. After all, Harry had his own legacy. The Potters even had their own crest. What if Harry thought he was trying to replace that legacy with his own? He was trying to think of something to say when Harry finally reacted.

A genuine smile came to his face and Harry placed the ring on his right finger. Now he and Draco shared two sets of matching rings.

–Thank you, Lucius. I’ll wear it with pride.”

–And I’m proud to have you wear it. Just as I’ll be proud to have you as a son-in-law,” Lucius told him. –Now, I must confess, I have a favor to ask of the two of you.”

–After everything you’ve just done, it must be a big one,” Draco declared with raised eyebrows.

Lucius chuckled. –No, I wasn’t trying to ingratiate myself to you two. What I’ve said today was the truth. I have no ulterior motives.”

–But there’s a favor,” Draco insisted.

–Yes,” Lucius sighed. –Draco, I know it will take time for you to forgive me for the way I’ve treated you. And Harry, I know it will take time for you to forgive and trust me. That being said, I must ask the two of you to join Narcissa and I for Christmas dinner tonight. I know how inappropriate this request is, given my deplorable behavior last night, but I must ask. As much as I would love to spend Christmas with you, I’m asking for Narcissa, not myself. My actions hurt her badly and I know having you both for dinner would mean so much to her.”

Draco looked to Harry who gave a small nod.

–The speech was unnecessary, Father. Harry and I would love to have Christmas dinner with you and Mother.”

–Thank you both,” Lucius gushed, getting to his feet. He was anxious to leave before they had a chance to reconsider. –We’re eating at six. Andromeda and Teddy will be joining us, but if you get there first, don’t mention it to Narcissa. I want it to be a surprise.”

–Andromeda? How did you manage that? She doesn’t answer Mother’s letters and won’t even talk to me about her.”

–She and your mother wanted the same thing. I just helped her to see that they could have it.” Lucius shrugged. –Anyway, I must get home. Narcissa’s locked herself in our bedroom in a fury. I have to convince her to come out before dinner.”

–Want some help?” Draco offered.

–No, I upset her. It’s my responsibility to make it right. I look forward to seeing you both tonight.”

Lucius nodded to both boys and Disapparated to the hallway outside his bedroom door. The door was still closed and he heard no movement inside. He tapped gently.

–Cissa.”

–Go away.”

–Come on, love. It’s Christmas.”

–You ruined Christmas.”

–I really did,” he admitted. –I’m so sorry, Cissa.”

There was no response from within. His apology was being completely ignored. He was debating what to say next when he was surprised by the door swinging open.

Her eyes were red, her hair was flat, and her robes were plain, but Narcissa was still the most beautiful sight he’d ever seen. To him, she was always perfect. Just being allowed in her presence again caused him to smile. However, he stopped himself from embracing her. She was still furious and he didn’t want to be shut out again.

–You admit you were wrong?” she demanded.

–I was entirely wrong. I’ve been a horrible husband and father. I’m so sorry, Cissa. I swear, I’m going to be a better man. I’ll make it up to you and Draco and Harry.”

–Harry?” She raised her eyebrows.

–Yes, Harry. He’s a part of our family now. I only wish I’d listened to you sooner about him. He really does make Draco happy.”

–He does.” Narcissa smiled fondly. –What about Draco’s finances?”

–I’m restoring his access to the family accounts first thing in the morning. You’ll need to sign, but I suspect you have no objections. I already spoke to Draco about it.”

–You saw Draco today?”

He grinned. –Well, I had to apologize for last night, didn’t I? I also had to convince him and Harry to join us for dinner. I couldn’t ruin your entire Christmas. I love you too much for that.”

Her eyes lit up.

–You mean it? They’re coming back?”

–At six,” he nodded. –Minxie promised to have everything ready.”

Tears filled Narcissa’s eyes as she threw her arms around him. –Thank you, Lucy. I love you so much.”

–I love you, too,” he whispered into her hair as he returned the embrace.

She pulled out of his arms abruptly, looking panicked. –Six? It’s nearly five now and I look a mess. I have to shower and dress properly.”

–You look beautiful to me,” he called after her as she rushed towards the loo.

–Then you’ve gone blind,” she replied before shutting the door.

He chuckled. His wife was frazzled, but happy. That was good enough for him. He knew their life together would only improve and his love for her would only grow.

–Happy Christmas, Cissa,” he said to the empty room.

A/N: That’s all folks. Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed my Malfoy take on A Christmas Carol. Don’t forget, reviewers will be loved forever.