Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Part One

Frank Longbottom glanced up from his desk, where he was going through yet another large stack of reports, this batch on a sudden influx of illegal magical creatures near Bristol. He shook his head and rubbed his eyes as he adjusted his focus. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

Alice Hamilton, his partner, raised an eyebrow. "I said I'm flying to Rome with a vampire this weekend."

"Funny." Frank put the papers aside and gave her his sole attention. "As if you'd run off to Italy of all places."

Alice laughed. "That's what you find most unbelievable? Not the vampire?"

"Not really," he replied with a wink. "I know how much you like to--"

"Frank!" she exclaimed, glancing around with a slight blush starting to color her cheeks. "Not at work!"

He grinned, enjoying the opportunity to tease her. "Fine. Since you're not actually running off to Rome with a blood-sucking wizard, what were you saying again?"

She shrugged. "I was just pointing out that we've been partners for a year now, that's all."

He reached across the desk and took her hand. "A whole year already?" he asked, pretending to be surprised. "And to think that my first impression was nothing but dread."

"Your first impression?" she retorted. "I begged John Dawlish to trade partners with me."

Frank pulled a face. "I'm glad he didn't. I can't really see myself snogging him."

Alice burst out laughing and leaned over to plant a quick kiss on his lips. Though it was no longer a secret that they were dating, they did try to keep their more intimate interaction to a minimum while at work. "You two would have made a terrible couple," she said.

"Especially because I would have fallen for you eventually," Frank murmured back.

"Liar," she said. "You wouldn't have given me the time of day."

Frank shrugged. "You wouldn't have asked me for it."

"True." Alice leaned back and crossed her arms over her chest. "Anyway, I think we should celebrate. It's an anniversary of sorts, after all. We haven't killed each other, and we haven't been killed."

"I doubt the any of the others celebrate those things with their partner," Frank pointed out. She raised that eyebrow at him, and it was all he could do to keep from laughing again.

"But we're a bit more than partners, aren't we?" she said. "So I would like to celebrate, Longbottom."

"All right, then." Frank nodded and began to put away the reports. "How about dinner at Orsino's? I've got a reservation for two in half an hour." Orsino's was an exceptionally fine restaurant in London just off Diagon Alley, where both Muggles and Wizards could dine in separate rooms. They had been there once over the holidays, but had not been back since.

"You do not!" she exclaimed.

"I do," he replied calmly. "I made it last week."

"Frank Longbottom, sometimes you are positively insufferable," she declared. He leaned back in his chair and grinned.

"Then why do you suffer with me?" he asked, enjoying himself far too much.

She pursed her lips together, obviously trying not to smile. "Because I happen to love that restaurant."

"But not me?" He stood and offered her his hand. She narrowed her eyes at him before taking it and standing.

"When you take me out, yes. When you take the piss, no." He burst out laughing, and she finally gave in and joined him.

"Truce!" he said. "Let's just go enjoy a nice dinner before we tear each other apart."

"Oh, we can do that later," she murmured, giving him a coy look, and he grinned as he thought about what that might mean for later.

Of course, he had his own plans for later as well, plans that involved something besides just celebrating their year in the Auror office. They were more than just partners, after all: they were practically living together as well as working together, and Frank was finally ready to make things permanent after more than a few hints from Alice, as well as a constant barrage of 'When are you getting married?' from almost everyone else he knew, particularly his mother.

So he had made the dinner reservation weeks ago, when he'd dragged Fabian Prewett out with him to Jewelry by Jones, the nicest shop in Diagon Alley. Fabian had helped him pick out a beautiful ring: a modest but flawless diamond set with two garnets, Alice's birthstone (which Fabian had suggested, somehow knowing a good deal about gemstones.) Frank had been waiting nervously for the day to arrive, and now that it had, he was even more anxious. He wondered if Alice suspected anything as he touched the box in his pocket, wondering when to bring it out, what to say…

"Hello?" Alice asked, waving her hand in front of his face. "Is anyone there?"

Frank shook his head and smiled. "Yes, I'm just trying to put those reports out of my mind. Sorry."

They walked out of the Auror office together and headed toward the lifts that would take them to the Atrium. At work they did not link arms or hold hands, but as soon as they had left the Ministry, Alice laced her fingers through his, and together they walked through central London and toward Diagon Alley. It was a beautiful spring evening, and although they could have Apparated to the restaurant much quicker, Frank preferred to walk; it would help him calm his nerves.

They arrived at Orsino's and were seated almost immediately on the right-hand side, a dark-paneled room where a dozen witches and wizards were already dining in the torchlight. After ordering a glass of elf-wine, they set aside any talk about work and instead reminisced about all that had happened over the past year, from becoming partners to joining the Order of the Phoenix. Frank began to relax, until he touched the box in his pocket once more and tried to think of the best time to bring it out: after dinner, after dessert, in some park as they headed home…

His thoughts were interrupted once more by one of the wait staff hurrying over with a note. "I'm sorry to interrupt," the man apologized, holding out a rolled parchment, "but you've had an owl in the back. It did not wait for a response so I assume it's urgent."

Frank glanced at Alice and took the parchment. Alice thanked the man, then leaned over. "What is it?" she asked softly. "Is it from the Ministry or the Order?"

Frank sighed as he handed it over. "It's from Fabian. We're needed at Headquarters."

"Bollocks," she said, glancing at the note. "We haven't even had dessert."

"That's not all we'll miss," Frank muttered under his breath as he motioned to the man to wrap their food and bring their bill. He thought about bringing out the ring right then and there before they left, but it didn't seem that romantic, when they were rushed and on their way to a possible emergency. He'd have to think of another way, another day.

After gathering their things, Frank left several Galleons on the table and hurried from the restaurant with Alice. Stepping around to the back alley, he glanced around and then Apparated to Order headquarters, his plan to propose lost to the crises of war.

* * *

The following week Frank was determined to try again. After a long morning of gathering evidence against a newly organized group of wizards smuggling in illegal creatures from China through Bristol, he suggested that he and Alice Apparate to Hogsmeade for lunch. In school, they had once had a single, disastrous date at the Three Broomsticks. Several months after they had started to work together, they had gone to the pub to put that past behind them and mend the difficulties in their working relationship; it had quickly become habit and their partnership had greatly improved. Yet on a warm summer day several weeks later, they had been attacked on the road into the village. Frank had been so worried about her, that when Alice had woken up, he had kissed her. Sometimes he still thought about that moment and how mad it must have seemed, how mad it felt. And yet that one simple kiss had blossomed into a relationship he was now ready to move forward with.

They walked hand-in-hand down the road toward the Three Broomsticks, but Frank was so worried about being interrupted again that it must have shown: Alice kept asking him if he were all right, because he simply couldn't concentrate on the conversation she was trying to start. He thought about getting it over with and proposing right there in the road, but knew it was about as unromantic as things got considering they had been attacked not far away. He was relieved when they finally reached the pub, though the feeling faded quickly.

"Haven't see you two around in a while!" said Madam Rosmerta as they entered just ahead of the lunchtime crowd. "You married yet?"

Alice laughed, but Frank felt his heart drop into his toes. Of all the questions to ask at that moment…

"Not yet, Rosmerta," Alice called as they found a table.

"Get on with it already," the barmaid told them as she came over to take their order. "Things are not getting any easier in the magical world."

"We know," Frank muttered. "We're working on it." He almost wanted to kick Rosmerta to stay quiet, but she just continued, seemingly oblivious.

"If you've found the right person, you should stick with them. And you two are right for each other." She gave them a piercing look followed by a broad smile. "You know that, right?"

"Can we just get our drinks?" Frank asked, hoping he didn't sound as strangled as he felt. Alice gave him a funny look, but Rosmerta simply winked as she walked away. Reaching across the table, Alice took his hand.

"What was that about? She was just being friendly."

"Bit pushy, don't you think?" asked Frank. "As if it's any of her business."

"What, us getting married?" When he nodded, she sat back and shrugged. "True, but she is a barmaid, so it's sort of her job to be nosy, and she does have a point."

Frank tried not to let his mouth fall open. "A point? About what?"

"About getting married," Alice replied. "We keep skirting around it, but everyone keeps asking us about it."

"It's none of their business either," Frank said as a young witch brought over two mugs of mead for them. He took a large sip and a deep breath. This was it. It wasn't the best introduction, perhaps, but it was an opening, at least. "But since you've brought it up, maybe we should--"

"Oi, Longbottom!" called a loud and boisterous voice from the doorway. Frank bit back a groan as Sirius Black came loping over with James Potter. "'Morning, Alice," he added with a sly wink when he arrived.

"What are you two doing out so early?" Frank asked pointedly.

"It's lunchtime," James said.

"And you're actually up and about," Frank threw back. He wasn't smiling, but Sirius grinned at him.

"Just because we don't have a day job doesn't mean we don't work hard," he said, affecting a hurt expression.

Frank snorted and took a long pull at his drink.

"Actually," Sirius continued, pulling up a chair and straddling it, then leaning forward so the entire pub wouldn't hear them, "we're out for Dumbledore. He--"

"--wanted you to stop by the pub for lunch?"

"We've got to eat, too," Sirius replied. Frank rolled his eyes, but Alice gave him a look and turned to Sirius.

"Is it important? Do you need help?" she asked. Frank couldn't help it this time: he groaned, and Sirius gave him a good-natured glare.

"No, we just need some sustenance before we head out," he replied. "We're--"

"Interrupting," said James, pulling out the chair on which Sirius was sitting. "Clearly."

"No, it's fine," laughed Alice, motioning James to another chair. "We're just taking a break for lunch as well. You can stay. What are you working on for Dumbledore?"

Sirius leaned in closer and started telling her about their latest mission. James sat down opposite Sirius and murmured to Frank, "Sorry, mate."

Frank sighed and shook his head as he finished his mead. "No worries. It's just lunch."

It could have been more, but apparently he wasn't supposed to propose that day either.

* * *

He was interrupted once more after that, before he decided to just stop trying to plan something and take out the ring on impulse. The problem was, Frank knew perfectly well he was not a very impulsive man. He liked to know when and how things were going to happen. The thought of carrying around a ring just waiting for the right moment (when it would probably be interrupted by the end of the world anyway) was literally draining. Yet when he spoke to Fabian about it, Fabian told him to hold on to it, that the right moment would come, and Frank would know it.

Not that Fabian knew the first thing about asking a girl to marry him, but Frank pocketed it and carried on anyway.

A week later he was sitting at his desk after lunch watching Alice puzzle over something in front of her. Her blond hair fell around her face, and she was frowning, the skin between her eyes puckered in irritation. He just sort of stared at her and wondered if this was the time; maybe it would cheer her up. It was Friday, and they would have the weekend to celebrate and share the news, maybe even start planning something for the fall.

"Everything all right?" he asked casually, trying to work up the courage. The Atrium might be nice--a bit public, but maybe she would appreciate him asking her at work, since that was how they had come together, after all. Alice sighed and glanced up at him.

"No, not really. I think I need to go to the Obliviator office. There's too many things missing from this report on Bristol. I need to talk to Sterns." Sterns and his team had been in charge of making sure all the Muggles who had seen or been involved with any of the illegal creatures had had their memories modified appropriately.

"Want some company?" Frank asked as she stood. She smiled down at him.

"If you're not looking at anything important," she said.

"Just you," he murmured in her ear as he stood and joined her. They started toward the doors, laughing. This was it: Frank could feel it.

"Longbottom!" growled a voice behind them. Frank turned to find Alastor Moody standing behind him. He cocked his head toward the Head Auror's office. "MacDougal's office. Now."

Frank frowned. "I'm headed down to see Sterns about the Bristol case, is it important?"

"Hamilton can handle it on her own. You're needed elsewhere." Moody turned without another word and stalked into Head Auror MacDougal's office. Frank sighed as he turned toward Alice.

"You heard the man--apparently you're on your own. Sorry." He leaned forward to kiss her on the cheek, which was unusual given that they were in the middle of the office. She raised an eyebrow at him.

"What was that for?" she asked.

"Nothing," he replied. "Just another missed opportunity." He turned and walked away before she could ask him what he meant, then glanced back over her shoulder. "Good luck with Stearns. I'll talk to you later."

Alice nodded and left the office as Frank joined Moody in Lochlan MacDougal's office.

"What can I do for you, sir?" he asked, rather purposefully ignoring Moody, who was standing off to the right with his arms folded across his chest.

"Alastor's asked to have you on special assignment," the grey-haired man behind the desk replied, barely glancing up. "You're with him for however long it takes."

Frank glanced back and forth between them. "Sir? What about Alice? Will she be reassigned then?"

"With any luck you'll be back by Monday," Moody said, and Frank bit back a groan. It was the weekend, and he was now officially stuck with Moody for the duration. Any thoughts of proposing to Alice were once more dashed by circumstance; he was starting to wonder if it was ever meant to happen.

"What are we working on then?" he asked stiffly, unable to hold back his frustration. Moody raised an eyebrow and glanced at MacDougal, who nodded and returned to whatever it was he was working on at his desk. Moody jerked his head toward the door.

"Top secret and dangerous. Let's go."

Frank reluctantly followed him out. "Are you going to tell me this dangerous top secret assignment?" he asked as they made their way back to Frank's desk.

"Not here," Moody replied. "It's Order business, but I wanted a Ministry cover. Gideon's waiting on us outside. Grab what you need."

"We're leaving right now?" Frank asked, quickly clearing up his desk and gathering his robes.

"No time like the present." Moody grinned.

"Can I at least let Alice know where I'm going?" he asked, lowering his voice, but Moody shook his head.

"That would take too long. I want to get started--we need stealth and speed on our side."

Frank just stared at him; whatever it was, it must be important for Moody to be in such a hurry. He hated leaving without seeing Alice, though. "Fine. Let me leave her a note, at least."

Moody snorted. "You've got two minutes to write your love note, Longbottom."

Frank felt like making a face at the old Auror, but instead he grabbed a quill and a slip of parchment. Yet he just stared at it, because what would he write? He had no idea of where he was going or when he would be back. And he could already feel Moody breathing down his neck.

"Bollocks," he muttered, brushing aside the parchment in annoyance. He ran a hand through his hair.

"Time's up," Moody barked. "Let's go."

Moody turned and left the office, and with one last glance at Alice's desk, Frank followed. Then a thought occurred to him, and he told Moody he'd forgot something. Before the other Auror could protest, Frank ran back to Alice's desk, his hand already reaching into his pocket for the box he'd been carrying around for days. This was his chance.

Setting the box on Alice's desk, Frank charmed it to appear when she returned. As much as he wanted to wait and give it to her in person, he had been interrupted so many times now that perhaps this was the only way for her to finally get it. She would know what it meant.

And hopefully she would say yes…if and when he returned from Moody's dangerous top secret mission.

* * *
Chapter Endnotes: Reviews are love.