Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Letter for Hugo by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This was originally written for Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter for SPEW LoveNotes.




Hugo Weasley looked at the parchment in front of him and nodded in approval. It wasn’t precise, but it was close enough. It could at least get him near enough to his just rewards to take what should’ve already been his. Every pen stroke, every last drop of green ink was in place, so all he had to do was redirect the owl he was expecting from his honorary Uncle Neville at Hogwarts and send it a couple floors lower.

This was almost crazy enough to work. He was going to get on that train whether it wanted to take him or not. He was eleven; it was his right as a wizard.


* * *


Hermione hummed as she cleared away the remnants of lunch while Ron did the dishes. It was a beautiful summer afternoon, and they’d agreed that it would be a great opportunity to take Rose and Hugo out for some quality time before Rose went off to Hogwarts. They would still have time with Hugo, but not both of them together.

She sighed at the thought of one of her children being left behind. While she had been an only child, Ron had watched five brothers go off to school before him and knew the feeling better than she could hope to. But Ron did still get to go, eventually.

Brushing that thought from her mind, she looked inside the Cool Charm fridge to see whether they needed to eat out or if cooking dinner were in order; takeout won that election. Just as she was turning to let Ron know they would have to stop somewhere, she nearly jumped when an owl began tapping on the glass. The crash of a plate shattering on the floor indicated that Ron was just as surprised.

–Bloody hell,” he grumbled as he opened the window. The bird flapped inside, deposited an envelope, turned up its beak and flew away in a flash of feathers.

Ron, glaring after the owl, snatched up the letter. However, when he looked at the addressee, Hermione saw his eyes bulge. He nearly tore open the letter to see what it said inside, but when he saw it, a vein on his forehead pulsed frighteningly.

–Ron?” Hermione asked, almost afraid to know. –What does it say?”

–If I find the bloody gits who did this, I’ll —” Tossing the letter on the kitchen table, he waved his hand at it. –See for yourself.”

Hesitantly, Hermione picked up the letter and gasped. Too numb to react, all she could do was read it aloud. –Dear Mr Weasley, we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.” Looking up at Ron, her eyes threatening to spill tears onto that signature green ink, her voice quavered as she asked, –Who would do something like this?”

–It’s bloody cruel, and I’m going to find out who did it.” He crossed the room and his hands gently cupped her face. –I promise, love, I’ll find out who did it.” He wrapped his arms around her, and she sobbed into his chest. –I promise.”


* * *


Hugo heard raised voices from his perch at the top of the stairs and smiled. His parents would be so happy to see the letter that they would forget about that stupid Muggle amusement park and take him shopping at Diagon Alley instead. After all, how was he supposed to go to Hogwarts without a wand? With that gleeful aim in mind, he ran down the stairs with a grin. –Mum! Dad! Was that owl for me? Did I get any mail?”

Not finding his parents in the foyer or the living room, Hugo barrelled into the kitchen, but when he got there, all he saw was Hermione crying all over Ron like a big girl. Mums weren’t girls, he thought irritatedly, so they weren’t allowed to cry! –Oi! What was the owl for?”

He saw his parents exchange a look before his dad knelt in front of him. –Nothing you have to worry about, son. Now, why don’t you run upstairs and play while your Mum and I talk for a bit?”

–No!” Hugo shouted as he lunged towards the familiar letter — the one he had penned not even an hour before — he saw on the table. –I know it’s for me, I know it is!”

Hermione tried to get to the letter first, but Hugo was faster. Soon, it was in his hands as he scrunched beneath the table. Both Ron and Hermione got on their hands and knees and held out their hands. –Hugo, please, give the letter to mummy and daddy,” Hermione pled. –I promise that it’s nothing you have to worry about, but please, love. Give me the letter.”

–Stop trying to take it away!” Hugo shrieked and he pushed himself farther out of their reach. –You don’t want me to go!”

–Son,” Ron said with a hitch in his voice, –you know that’s not true. Nobody wants you to go more than us, but this isn’t real. You know why you can’t go, so please, give me the letter and come out.”

–Shut up!” Hugo cried. Ignoring his parents, he looked at the words he had so painfully copied for the past three days and read them aloud. –Dear Mr Weasley, we are pl-pleased to inform you that you h-have been acc-accepted to H-Hogwarts School of —”

* * *

Hugo never finished the sentence. Ron pulled the letter from Hugo’s hands and blasted it with his wand as Hermione pulled their poor, tormented son from underneath the table and hugged him tightly. –Oh, my baby,” she sobbing over and over again. –I’m so sorry. We love you so much. Oh, my baby boy.”

Ron’s arms encircled both of them. He had to protect them both, magic or no, because they were his family. No matter what.


Chapter Endnotes: Poor Hugo. :/