Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Red and Black by Sariana

Printer
Summary: A tragic accident changes Hermione Weasley's life forever. A ghost from her past teaches her about grief and healing. (This story is about Severus and Hermione post-Epilogue. The circumstances of his survival are addressed in subsequent chapters.)
Ratings: 1st-2nd Years [ - ]
Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe, Character Death
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 2 Completed?: No
Wordcount: 3172 Viewcount: 2807
Published on: 03/13/13 Updated On: 03/27/13



Story Notes: Many thanks to SamusAran/SeverelyLupine for the prompt.
So here's the challenge: Write a fanfic. Any fandom, but you've got to label what fandom it is when you post it to give the reader a fighting chance. There are only three rules:

- Don't use any character names (at least not of any characters who are in the story; it's okay to reference ones that aren't physically present in the fic)
- Don't use any obvious physical descriptions (e.g. glasses/scar/green eyes for Harry, black robes/big nose for Snape, bushy hair for Hermione).
- Don't use titles for characters that would give it away ('Potions master', 'Headmaster', etc.)

Write a fic where the reader can still tell who the characters are just by how they're portrayed (as well as perhaps the world around them and the situation they find themselves in). Also, try to really write the characters in such a way that people who aren't from your particular corner of fandom (at least for the bigger fandoms) can still recognize them. (Like, if you write Snape-centered romance, don't just write Snape assuming that everyone knows he's totally sexy. Write it so that even someone who only reads canon-compliant fics will recognize him, too, even if it's still a Snape romance.) To get around using names, you could stick to pronouns or, if you want, make up different names for the characters (as long as the new names don't give it away, like turning Remus into Romulus or Loup). You can reveal the characters at the end of the fic or let people guess in comments. This could be especially challenging to fanfic writers who usually write non-canon pairings or 'fanon' version of characters, but the challenge is the whole point.


1. What Have I Done? by Sariana [ - ] (1386 words)
A/N: Inspiration (besides the challenge above): Victor Hugo's Les Miserables The original plot bunny was inspired by the novel. The story and chapter titles are from the Broadway musical. This story is kind of a sequel to a story I haven't written yet. But that's how it goes sometimes. This story is completely un-beta'd. Feel free to point out any errors or inconsistencies. Canon compliant (mostly).

Disclaimer: I own neither Harry Potter nor Les Miserables and owe many thanks to both of them.

2. At the End of the Day by Sariana [ - ] (1786 words)
Apparently it was not clear to readers that the characters in chapter 1 were Severus and Hermione. (I forgot that I originally posted it on a SS/HG exclusive site, where their identities would be obvious.) I've been told this story must be labeled AU, though Severus's survival is explained in this chapter, and the story otherwise is consistent with canon and takes place post-Epilogue. Also, please note that in chapter 1 the nurse informed the "man" that "the woman's" voice soon would return. It now has done so. I also will be using characters' names for the remainder of the story.