Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The First Time He Saw It by shewolf2000

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +



–Teddy?”

Teddy blinked, confused for a moment about where he was.

–Teddy?” his mummy asked again. Mrs. Weasley’s blanket slid off her shoulder as she sat up to examine her sleeping son.

–Morning Mummy,” Teddy said, turning his head slightly so it wasn’t completely buried in grey fur. The fire had died but the sitting room was dimly lit by the sky outside. It was very early in the morning.

–Teddy, what are you doing here?” Mummy asked, sounding very surprised.

Teddy sat up too and pulled Greeny onto his lap as he examined his mummy’s shocked expression. –I had a nightmare,” Teddy explained. –You weren’t upstairs.”

Mummy ran a hand through her disheveled pink hair. –So you decided to come down here and curl up us?”

–I asked first!” Teddy declared crossly. He had asked Wolfie’s permission after all. Oh, Wolfie!

–Mummy,” he said excitedly, –this is my new friend, Wolfie!”

Mummy’s eyebrows went up so far Teddy almost thought she was morphing her forehead to be smaller. –…your friend…Wolfie?” she asked slowly.

Teddy nodded, smiling.

–Are you awake?” she asked the wolf, patting it several times on the back. It turned to look at her. –Well of course you’re awake, you don’t sleep, do you?” she muttered.

–So you and Wolfie are friends, are you?” she asked Teddy.

–Yep,” Teddy said happily, –we met when I came looking for you and Daddy. Wolfie’s really nice and sometimes Wolfie gets nightmares too. I asked Wolfie if he wanted to be my friend so Wolfie and I are friends now.”

–And you’re not, I mean you weren’t…you weren’t scared when you saw Wolfie?” Mummy asked, furrowing her previously raised eyebrows.

–Nope,” Teddy lied.

One eyebrow went back up.

–Okay, Greeny was a little scared at first,” Teddy admitted. –But Wolfie’s really nice, Mummy! Wolfie would never hurt me, so there’s no reason to be afraid. Wolfie’s my friend.”

Mummy considered him for a minute. Then…she burst out laughing.

–Oh, I am going to get banners!” she declared between fits of laughter. –They’re going to say ‘I TOLD YOU SO’ and I’m going to hang them all over the house and you,” she said, slapping Wolfie on the back, –don’t get to say a thing about them!”

Teddy was confused as Mummy continued to laugh. He turned to Wolfie to see Wolfie watching Mummy with a less-the-amused expression.

–What’s so funny, Mummy?” Teddy finally asked.

Mummy sighed, calming down a bit at last. –Everything, Teddy dear. Everything.” She looked at Wolfie, then back at Teddy, and said more seriously, –I’m really glad you’re not afraid, Teddy.”

–Nope, Wolfie’s my friend,” Teddy repeated. –I told Wolfie all about me and Greeny, and you and Daddy, and Harry and Gran.”

–You did?” Mummy asked.

–Yep,” Teddy replied. –Wolfie is a good listener.”

–Yes,” Mummy muttered, looking at Wolfie thoughtfully for a minute. –But actually,” she said, looking back at Teddy, –Wolfie here already knows all about you.”

The wolf moved very suddenly, standing up and turning its whole body to face Mummy, its yellow eyes wider than ever.

–Yes, I’m going to tell him,” Mummy answered the wolf as though it had asked her a question, meeting its wide stare with a determined one of her own. –He’s clearly not afraid of you. You’re his friend Wolfie, for Merlin’s sake!”

Mummy and Wolfie continued to stare each other down for another minute before the wolf finally gave in and nodded glumly.

–How does Wolfie already know about me?” Teddy asked, slightly baffled.

Mummy turned to look at him, a determined gleam still in her eyes. –Because, Teddy, the wolf is Daddy.”

Teddy stared at his Mummy. Then he turned to look at the wolf. The wolf hung its head and peered at Teddy sadly.

Then he looked back at Mummy. Then back to the wolf again. Then back to Mummy.

–The wolf…is Daddy?” he repeated, not quite sure he was ready to buy it.

Mummy nodded. –Yes Teddy. You see, your daddy is a werewolf, which means that most of the time he looks like - well - Daddy. But every once in a while he turns into the wolf.” She gestured to the wolf beside her.

Teddy looked between her and the wolf again. –Are you sure?” he asked, not quite able to shake the feeling she was about to announce it was a joke. How could the wolf be Daddy?

–I’m very sure, dear,” Mummy replied.

Teddy examined the wolf again. It really didn’t look like Daddy at all. Except it had very sad eyes. Daddy had very sad eyes sometimes, mostly when he didn’t think Teddy was looking at him.

–Daddy?” he asked the wolf.

Terribly sad yellow eyes looked into his for a moment before the wolf slowly nodded. Teddy’s mouth fell open. He stared.

–Teddy,” Mummy said, looking a little concerned. –Are you okay, sweetie?”

–Daddy is the wolf,” Teddy said quietly, continuing to stare.

–Yes, that’s right, sweetie,” Mummy said slowly, –but remember, Teddy, it’s not scary, right? You told me you weren’t scared, remember? You know Daddy would never hurt you, right?”

Teddy wasn’t listening. –It’s really true?” he asked, still staring at the sad and now slightly pained looking wolf, –That’s really you, Daddy?”

The wolf nodded again.

–Teddy…” Mummy started again.

–That is SO COOL!” Teddy exclaimed. His mummy and the wolf both jumped. Mummy’s concerned expression cleared immediately as she tried to stifle a second round of laughter. But Teddy wasn’t watching her. He was watching the wolf…Wolfie…his daddy…his wolf-daddy, whose expression of pain and sadness had been replaced with a look of wide-eyed shock.

Teddy stood up and put his hands on his hips like Mummy did when she wanted to say something matter-of-factly. –Well, its no wonder we got along so well,” he declared.

Mummy lost her battle with the laughter. She let out a cackle and rolled over backwards where she sat, not minding as her head bumped against the front of the couch, clutching her stomach as she laughed and laughed. –Oh, so many banners!” she howled.

Teddy and his wolf-daddy exchanged a look. –Mummy’s weird,” Teddy said. Wolf-Daddy nodded fervently and rolled his great yellow eyes. Teddy giggled.

–Hey! I heard that!” Mummy said, pulling herself back up and pretending to frown at the pair of them.

–Well it’s true!” Teddy told her, still giggling. Wolf-Daddy nodded again.

–Oh I see how it is,” Mummy declared, putting her own hands on her hips now, –you boys are conspiring against me again, are you? Well, I won’t have it! I’m going to get you!”

She lunged at Teddy who squealed and dodged her by moving closer to Wolf-Daddy, throwing his arms around Wolf-Daddy’s neck and burying his face in his fur.

Mummy looked at the two of them standing so close together and something flickered in her eyes. Her expression became more serious as she and Wolf-Daddy exchanged a look.

–Okay, Teddy,” she said, still smiling but no longer joking, –we need to set up some ground rules. Come’ere.”

Teddy detached himself from Wolf-Daddy and went to go sit on his Mummy’s lap. –Okay now, I’m very happy that you’re not scared of Daddy, but you do have to be very careful with him when he is a wolf. You understand?” Teddy nodded. –Okay,” she continued, –now whatever you do, DO NOT try to touch him on or near his mouth, you understand? His teeth are very sharp and dangerous. You can pat him on the head like this,” she said, demonstrating what Teddy had already done last night, –and you can stroke him on his back,” she continued, lightly petting her wolf-husband on his back, –but NEVER EVER put your hands, or any part of your body really, anywhere near his mouth. You understand?” Teddy nodded again. Neither the seriousness of her tone nor the grave look in Wolf-Daddy’s eyes were lost on him.

Mummy picked Teddy up and turned him around to face her. –I need you to promise me, Teddy,” she said, looking straight into his eyes. –I need you to promise me that you won’t ever try to touch Daddy on the mouth when he is a wolf or you can’t play with him anymore.”

–I promise,” Teddy said, and he meant it. He could tell this was not a joke or a rule to be tested.

Mummy smiled. –Good,” she said, putting Teddy back on her lap, –no touching by the mouth, and everything will be fine. Oh, but you probably also want to avoid the pointy bits on the ends of his paws,” she added as an after thought, –they’re not as bad as the mouth, but if you cut yourself it will take a long time to close, even with magic. So be careful, okay?”

–’Kay,” Teddy agreed.

–Excellent!” Mummy said cheerfully. Wolf-Daddy looked happier again.

–When will Daddy not be the wolf again?” Teddy asked.

–Well,” Mummy said, looking at her watch, –in about half an hour, actually. I should get breakfast started,” she added, putting Teddy down and standing up. –So, while I’m starting breakfast,” she smiled cheekily, –how about Daddy gives you a little ride, yeah?”

–Yeah!” Teddy exclaimed as Wolf-Daddy took a step back and fixed Mummy with the same look he usually wore right before he told her she was crazy. Mummy ignored him as she picked Teddy up under the arms and set him down on Wolf-Daddy’s back.

–Hold on tight!” she said.

Teddy immediately grabbed two handfuls of thick grey fur. –Ready!” he declared.

Nothing happened.

–Well go on!” Mummy said to Wolf-Daddy. Sitting on Wolf-Daddy’s back, Teddy couldn’t see the expression on Wolf-Daddy’s face as he looked up at Mummy, but it seemed to amuse Mummy a lot. Finally, Wolf-Daddy broke into a reluctant trot.

Teddy squealed with delight and gripped the fur harder as Wolf-Daddy walked him around the sitting room and Mummy chuckled and headed to the kitchen.

–Big banners, Remus,” she said as she departed.

Riding Wolf-Daddy was super fun. After a few laps around the sitting room, Teddy got more comfortable and cried, –Faster, Daddy, faster!” Wolf-Daddy sped up a fraction. Mummy appeared back at the door. –Now not too fast,” she told Teddy, her eyes twinkling, –don’t want to wear your poor old dad out now.” Wolf-Daddy let out a huff that made Mummy laugh again as she returned to the kitchen.

Wolf-Daddy took Teddy for a ride around the whole house, moving very cautiously as he mounted the stairs, making sure Teddy wasn’t about to slide off. They visited his and Mummy’s room, then Teddy’s room, then they just poked into the bathroom because it was a little small for the great wolf. –Let’s go see Mummy!” Teddy said. Obediently, Wolf-Daddy took Teddy back down the stairs and into the kitchen.

–Wotcher!” Mummy greeted them, standing at the stove making sausages. She looked at her watch again and then at Wolf-Daddy. –It’s about time, isn’t it?”

Wolf-Daddy nodded. Mummy put the sausages on a plate and led the way back to the sitting room. –Time for what?” Teddy asked as he and Wolf-Daddy followed her back to the rug in front of the fireplace.

–Time for Daddy to change back into Daddy,” Mummy said, scooping Teddy up off of Wolf-Daddy.

–Oh, okay,” Teddy said, not sure he was happy or sad about this.

–We’re going to give your dad some privacy, yeah?” Mummy said as Wolf-Daddy laid back down on the rug.

–I wanna see it,” Teddy told her, but she shook her head.

–Nope, this is your dad’s thing,” she said simply. Balancing Teddy on one hip, she took her free hand and grabbed Mrs. Weasley’s blanket. She pulled it over Wolf-Daddy, covering him from snout to tail. Then she pulled out her wand and muttered several spells that Teddy didn’t know at the time, but that he would realize when he was older, were very powerful silencing charms. –There,” she said, and carried Teddy back to the kitchen.

Teddy’s plan was to wait for his mummy to put him down and then run back to the sitting room before she could stop him. Unfortunately, Mummy seemed to have anticipated such a plan and didn’t put him down. She put another quick silencer on the door for good measure, then started to break and scramble eggs with one hand, Teddy still held tight.

–Mummy?” Teddy asked.

–Yes Teddy?” Mummy said, nearly knocking the pan with eggs off the stove as her elbow caught the handle but managing a quick save.

–How does Daddy change back?” Teddy asked. –Is it like how you and I change? Does he just screw up his eyes, and ‘poof!’ he’s Daddy again?”

A dark look passed over his mummy’s face as she whisked the eggs. –No sweetheart,” she said quietly, –it’s a little more complicated for him.”

Teddy watched her in silence for a minute, sensing that he shouldn’t ask any more questions like that. –When will he be a wolf again?” he asked finally.

–Next time there’s a full moon,” Mummy answered, making her best one-handed attempt to get the eggs out of the pan and onto the plate. Only about a third of it landed on the floor.

–When’s that?” Teddy asked.

Mummy frowned as she used her wand to vanish the eggs on the floor. –Daddy and I will let you know the next time it’s coming, okay sweetie?”

–’Kay,” Teddy said.

Mummy set the plate of eggs and sausages on the table, then went to the cupboard and pulled out several bottles of brightly colored potion. She checked her watch again.

–Why don’t we go see how your daddy’s doing?” Mummy asked.

–Yes please!” Teddy said.

Mummy carried him back to the sitting room, two of the potions in her other hand. The lump under the blanket was much smaller than it had been. It looked Daddy-sized now. It wasn’t moving. Mummy put him down near the lump and walked over to kneel on the other side of it, setting the potions on the floor next to her. She pulled back part of the blanket to reveal Daddy’s head.

–See,” she said, smiling, –there’s Daddy. All back to normal.”

Teddy didn’t smile. His daddy wasn’t a wolf anymore, but he definitely didn’t look normal. He was lying on his side facing Teddy, and Teddy could see that he was chalk white with dark circles under his eyes. He looked incredibly ill. He was also unconscious.

–Is he sick?” Teddy asked, his voice very small. He found Greeny where he had left him on the rug and pulled him into his chest.

–Not exactly,” Mummy said, standing up to grab a pillow off of the couch before kneeling back down and sliding it under Daddy’s head. –Just tired. Changing into a wolf and back is very exhausting for him.”

–He doesn’t look tired,” Teddy protested, squeezing Greeny, –he looks really sick. Why won’t he wake up?”

–Oh he will,” Mummy said. She started tapping Daddy’s face with her hand. –Remus? Come on, wake up, Remus. Wake up.” She tapped him harder, turning him so he was on his back a little more, his face facing hers. –Come on, Remus, you’ve got to take your potions. Wake up!”

Daddy’s eyes fluttered open. –Dora?” he mumbled, his hoarse voice barely more than a whisper.

–Wotcher love,” Mummy said, smiling at him. –I’ve got some potions for you.”

Daddy groaned and winced and Mummy pulled his head and shoulders onto her lap, sitting him upright enough to drink without choking. –Here you go,” she said, putting one of the bottles to his mouth and tipping it. He made a face at the taste of the potion, or maybe he was wincing again, but he drank down the whole potion. –And one more,” she said, repeating the process with the second potion.

Teddy wondered if it was just wishful thinking, but he thought that maybe his daddy looked a little less pale after drinking the potions.

–Thanks,” Daddy mumbled to Mummy as she set him back down on the pillow.

–Of course, love - wait, no, don’t go back to sleep just yet,” she said, tapping his face again as his eyes closed. –Remus, come on, stay awake. Someone wants to say good morning.” She looked up and smiled at her son. –Come here and lie next to your dad, Teddy.”

Teddy scooted closer and laid his head down on Daddy’s pillow, facing him. Daddy looked even worse up close, but his eyes were open at least, and he did manage a smile when they focused on the boy’s face.

–Teddy,” he whispered happily.

–Are you sick, Daddy?” Teddy asked.

–No, just tired,” he assured his son. –You’re not afraid of me.”

He tried to pass it off as a statement, but Teddy could hear the question in it.

He shook his head. –No, Daddy, I’m not afraid. You’re my Daddy; I could never be afraid of you.”

Daddy’s smile got bigger, but he was losing the battle with his eyelids. –I’m so happy, Teddy. I love you.”

–I love you too, Daddy.”

Daddy let out a happy sigh as his eyes closed again.

–Let’s let your daddy get some rest then,” Mummy said, gathering up the empty potion bottles and standing up. –Let’s get some breakfast,” she said, sounding a little more cheerful than Teddy thought the situation called for.

Teddy followed his mummy back into the kitchen where she fixed up two plates of food, one for her and one for Teddy, but Teddy didn’t feel very hungry.

–Is he always that sick when he turns back?” Teddy asked as Mummy stumbled on her way the grab glasses and juice. She was quiet long enough that Teddy didn’t think she was going to answer before she said, –Yes Teddy, but he always gets better. Let him get some rest and he’ll be up and about by dinner. Now eat up.”

Teddy and Mummy ate breakfast together. When Mummy disappeared upstairs to get dressed for work, Teddy went back into the sitting room and laid back down next to his daddy, watching him sleep. Teddy wasn’t worried. If Mummy said he’d get better, then he’d get better. But Greeny was a little worried.

Mummy reappeared looking not at all like someone who had spent the night on the floor. Her spiky pink hair was perfect, as was her make-up, and her full Auror robes billowed behind her as she swept back over to the rug.

–Alright sleepy-head,” she said, bending down to shake Daddy’s shoulder, –I’ve got to get to work so you’ve got to get to bed.”

Daddy mumbled something Teddy couldn’t understand. He was sure Mummy hadn’t caught it either, but she had a guess.

–Yes I know that I usually get the morning after off,” she said, pulling the blanket all the way off of him. He shivered and clutched at the fabric of his pajamas. –But I have to go in for that big case this morning, remember? If I don’t take you up to bed now you’ll spend the whole day down here. Is that what you want?”

More unintelligible mumbling.

–I didn’t think so,” she said, grabbing his arm and pulling.

Daddy let out the world’s most tremendous sigh as he half-pushed himself and half-allowed himself to be pulled to his feet.

–There we are,” Mummy said brightly. She tried to put his arm over her shoulder, but he mumbled, –I got it,” so she let go and let him take her arm as they walked slowly to the sitting room door.

–Did you want any breakfast?” Mummy asked him.

Teddy saw his Daddy turn slightly green and shake his head. –Won’t keep it down,” he mumbled.

–Alright then, I’ll put away the leftovers and you can have them when you’re up to it.”

Teddy followed his parents out of the sitting room. Daddy clutched the stair railing with white knuckles has he and Mummy slowly climbed up. Teddy felt the question, –Are you okay, Daddy?” forming on his lips, but he decided not to ask it. Daddy clearly wasn’t okay, but Mummy promised he would get better.

In the bedroom, Mummy only just managed to throw back the covers before Daddy collapsed onto the bed. Teddy and Greeny stood in the doorway watching as Mummy tucked Daddy in and kissed him lightly on the forehead. –Sweet dreams, Remus,” she said. Daddy murmured a few words of thanks before snuggling deeper into the blankets and falling asleep.

Mummy turned back to Teddy with a small, sad smile before coming over to him, leading him back into the hall, and closing the bedroom door behind her.

–I have to go to work, okay Teddy?” she said quietly. –Your daddy needs to rest now, but you can wake him if you need something. But only if you really need something, okay sweetheart? Otherwise you need to let him sleep.”

Teddy nodded.

–I’m going to leave you some lunch on the kitchen table for when you’re hungry. Right now, why don’t you go find something quiet to do while your daddy’s sleeping? Why don’t you go draw Daddy some nice pictures that you can show him when he wakes up?”

Teddy’s eyes lit up, as his mummy knew that they would.

–I’ll go draw him pictures!” Teddy said excitedly but quietly.

–That’s my boy,” Mummy said. She kissed him on the forehead. –I’ll see you tonight, sweetheart. Be good for Daddy, yeah?”

–Bye Mummy,” he said. She went downstairs and Teddy dashed back to his room to grab his supplies.

Teddy was a really fantastic drawer. Mummy and Daddy always told him so. The walls and cupboards of the Lupin family house were covered in Teddy’s fine artwork, and so was a good portion of Harry’s house, and Gran’s. Harry always laughed quite merrily as he tacked up Teddy’s latest drawing on a wall that used to contain severed house-elf heads or portraits of pureblooded bigots, not that Harry told him such things. Gran hung his artwork right next to pieces his mummy had made when she was his age.

He had a big box of crayons with over a hundred different colors. He also had some really nice colored pencils that Aunt Hermione had given him for his fourth birthday. Teddy, along with almost everyone else there, was very surprised when he unwrapped them. They had all been expecting a book.

Everyone he knew told him his artwork was really good, and he glowed with pride every time he heard it. But the praise that made him happiest of all was something he had overheard his Daddy say to his Mummy when he didn’t know Teddy was listening.

–Much better than your average four-year-old, I’d say. I think he could develop quite a talent when he gets older.”

Teddy had become even more dedicated to his art after he had heard that, determined to live up to his daddy’s expectations. His daddy believed in him, and there was no greater feeling in the world.

Teddy spent all morning and most of the afternoon drawing new pictures for Daddy while Daddy slept in the next room, pausing only briefly to eat the sandwich Mummy had left him in the kitchen. It was late afternoon before Teddy finally heard sounds of movement in his parents’ bedroom. He gathered up his new masterpieces and went to go see his daddy.

Daddy still didn’t look very well, but he did look a lot better than he had that morning. He was sitting on the edge of his bed with his feet on the floor, rubbing his temples with one hand.

–Come on, Remus, get up,” he muttered to himself.

–Hi,” Teddy said.

Daddy’s head snapped up, but he smiled as he looked at Teddy.

–Hello Teddy,” he said warmly.

–Are you feeling better?” Teddy asked nervously.

–Much better,” Daddy said. –What have you got there?”

–I drawed you some pictures!” Teddy said excitedly.

–For me?” Daddy asked.

Teddy nodded eagerly.

–Well then,” Daddy said, swinging his legs back onto the bed and patting the mattress beside him, –why don’t you come over here and show them to me? I mean…if you want,” he added quickly.

Failing to notice his daddy’s awkwardness, Teddy jumped up on the bed and crawled to sit right next to him, bringing his pictures.

–I worked really hard on them,” Teddy said.

–Well, I am excited to see them,” Daddy said.

Teddy placed the stack of drawings in his daddy’s lap.

He expected instant praise as usual, but as Daddy picked up the first picture, his face showed nothing but shock.

Maybe he just didn’t understand the picture.

–That’s me,” Teddy said, pointing to the boy with the sky blue hair in the picture, –and that’s you,” he said, pointing to the large grey wolf with the yellow eyes. Daddy didn’t say anything. –Oh, and that’s Greeny,” Teddy said, pointing to the turtle in the blue-haired boy’s hand.

Daddy continued to stare at the picture without saying anything.

–Don’t you like it?” Teddy asked.

Daddy seemed to shake himself out of some very deep thoughts. –I…I do, Teddy. It’s…it’s very good. I guess I’m just…surprised. I’m surprised that you would draw me this way.”

–Oh,” Teddy said, still not entirely understanding what the problem was. –Oh, well, they’re all that way,” he said, taking the first picture from Daddy’s hands to reveal the picture underneath, which showed a yellow-haired boy, a pink-haired women, and the large grey wolf.

–Mummy’s in this one,” he said.

–Yes, I see that,” Daddy said quietly.

Teddy took the second picture. –This one is just you and me,” he said, referencing the third picture, which showed a red-haired boy riding on the back of the large grey wolf. –It’s when you took me for a ride,” he explained, pointing to other elements in the picture that indicated it was set in his bedroom. –It was a lot of fun, Daddy. I thought you might like a picture of it.”

He took the third picture to reveal the fourth. –That’s last night,” he said. The picture showed a pink-haired woman lying next to a large grey wolf in front of a fire while a brown-haired boy and a green turtle watched them from across the room.

–This is what it looked like the first time I saw you,” Teddy explained. –You…you looked so scared, Daddy. Why were you scared?”

Daddy took his arm and wrapped it around Teddy’s shoulders, pulling him in closer and softly nuzzling his purple hair before he finally confessed, –I was scared that you would be scared, Teddy. I thought that if you saw me like that, as a monster, that you would be frightened of me, that you wouldn’t want me near you even after I changed back. And I couldn’t bear that, Teddy. I love you so much, I couldn’t bear the possibility that you would be frightened of me.”

–But I’m not,” Teddy said.

–I know,” Daddy said, –I know that now. And it makes me so happy, Teddy, you have no idea.”

They sat there for a while in silence, father and son. Teddy let his daddy hold him tight, because part of him knew that that was what his daddy really needed, much more than sleep or potions, to help him feel better again.

–Daddy,” Teddy said quietly after a time.

–Yes Teddy,” Daddy replied.

–I need a new grey crayon. Mine’s all worn out.”

And finally, Daddy laughed.




Author's Notes: Two down, one to go. The last one will just be two little moments in the days following this one. Did you like it? Reviews are always appreciated!