Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

House of Ghosts by FGiglia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Thirteen Years Ago


From the second they had emerged into the chaos of the Battle of Hogwarts, Adam knew they should not be there. –We should go back,” Adam said as he grabbed his brother’s arm, having to scream over the sounds of battle.

–I thought you were staying,” his brother said.

–I couldn’t leave you,” the older boy shook his head, –Let’s at least go into Hogsmeade, we’ll be out of range.”

His brother hesitated.

–You guys coming or what?” Pansy called out.

–Our House needs us,” Adam’s brother said. He started forward again, but Adam held him back.

–That’s a mistake and you know it,” Adam tried to reason with him.

Just then a crack of thunder indicated a deflected spell, and a resulting rumble caused both brothers to look up.

Adam tried to get in between the rubble and his brother, but the debris found its way in, separating and burying them both.

It took Adam a few seconds to realize he wasn’t dead, and a few more to hear the voices just beyond his stone cage.

–We need to get them out!” said a voice he didn’t recognize.

–There’s no time, we have to leave them!” This one he did recognize, the girl he had always admired, the one who had gotten Slytherin House sent to the dungeons in the first place. –Besides, they weren’t going to fight anyway,” Pansy argued.

The other student made some flustered sounds, but then he heard their running feet receding into the background of the battle, leaving him and his brother to their fate.


Now


For the next week he kept a keen eye on Ambrosia, so the next time he saw her slipping out of the Great Hall, he was quicker to follow.

He let Neville know of his plans so that at least someone knew what he was doing in case things didn’t go well. He felt better that at least he had that security net. According to all scholars on the subject, ghosts couldn’t perform magic, but he didn’t want to take the chance of disappearing without anyone knowing where and why.

He followed her down the same hall as last time, and at the same spot heard her talking to the same low, disembodied voice.

–I don’t think I want to,” Ambrosia said.

Some of that hissing, it might have been his imagination, but he could have sworn it sounded more insistent.

–But I can’t use that spell!” Now it was Ambrosia’s turn to be insistent. Maybe she wasn’t the cold-hearted brat he thought she was.

Then he thought he heard her sob, and that was enough. He took a deep breath and rushed out from behind the corner, instinctively drawing his wand as he did so.

He found the girl sitting on a bench by herself. She looked up at him with indifference, but he saw her eyes were red from the beginnings of crying.

He looked around, he couldn’t see anything or anyone else, –Who were you talking to?”

–What do you mean, Professor?” Her voice was surprisingly even, she had rehearsed for just such an eventuality.

He bent down to her level, constantly looking over his shoulder in paranoia, –Ambrosia, I know a ghost has been teaching you dark magic, please, let me help you. Tell me who it is.”

She stopped for a second, taken aback. He had surprised her with his knowledge of her dealings, but she quickly regained her haughty composure, standing so that she looked down at him. –I have no idea what you mean, Professor, you must be hearing things,” she said.

She started back to the dungeons. –Perhaps I should tell the Headmistress that you’re spying on your students,” she added.

Okay, so she was still a brat.



In the middle of October was the annual Slytherin vs. Gryffindor quidditch match. It was still the most contentious event of the year, even with the (relative) peace between the houses that the last decade or so had afforded.

Adam hadn’t really been interested in sports, he was always more the academic. He found athletes to be an arrogant bunch, and he stayed away from them while at school, but this was hiss first match as Head of House, and he made sure his team was in the best shape it could be. Being older students, they had an ingrained respect for him and though they were open to his suggestions, he was careful to not fuss with their training schedule or shake anything up too much. They had come in second last year, behind Hufflepuff of all Houses, and were hungry for the cup.

Tensions had been running high all month, Adam had even stopped talking to Neville, but he had heard that his fellow professor was bringing a special guest to the match.

When he caught view of the stadium he flashed to the last time he had seen it, as a charred ruin, after Hagrid had saved him from his dark grave. He was told Bellatrix LeStrange had set it on fire just before the battle.

It looked like it always had, like it had never happened, but it had, and he wouldn’t forget that. As he carefully navigated around the underpassages towards the professor’s box, the darkness of the area really made him wonder how some of the older teachers made it to the box in one piece without using a spell.

–It may even be better than the old stadium,” he heard Neville saying, approaching from the other direction. –They expanded the professor’s box, but from outside it looks just like the old one did.”

–I know Neville, I played here a few times afterwards,” said a voice that he had heard more times on wizarding radio than in person.

Then he rounded the last turn and Ginny Potter’s red mane of hair was visible in front of him, walking alongside Neville. They met at the stairway to the professor’s box and stopped to stare each other down.

–Neville,” he greeted.

–Adam. Ginny, this is Professor Cynon, Head of Slytherin House.”

–I know who he is,” Ginny gave Adam the famous death stare he had only read about. After school, Ginny had become a Chaser and eventual captain of the Holyhead Harpies, the only all-women’s quidditch team. Her career had been short-lived however, as she had decided to leave the game to start a family with her famous husband, but she still provided color-commentary for Harpies games on wizarding radio and in the Daily Prophet. During her playing days, many an opposing player (both male and female) had wilted under the fierceness of the –game face” he was now on the receiving end of.

And he understood why. Maybe she had learned from McGonagall, because, like the professor’s own look he indeed found himself put off.

–He’s from my year, after all,” she said, finally releasing him. –I’m not sure I like anyone from that Slytherin House teaching students. My oldest is due to start here soon.”

–Now, now Ginny,” Neville rose to his defense, –we’re all friends, those days are long over.”

Adam tried to crack a smile, but wound up achieving only half of one. –Except perhaps on the quidditch pitch,” he said, trying to make a joke about a subject he figured she could relate to, but she just inhaled a breath like she wished there was a bludger there to hit him with.

She made for the stairs and Neville shrugged at Adam, not sure what to do. They started up, but Adam held his ground and Neville turned back.

–Aren’t you coming?”

–No, I think I’ll...check on my team,” Adam made an excuse to get out of there. He started back the way he had come, and had just gotten back around the turn when new footsteps caused him to turn back and listen, instinctively drawing his wand.

–Blood traitor!” the new voice demanded, and Adam was around the corner, wand raised even before he heard the next word, –Avada......”

–Expelliarmus!”

As a dumbfounded Neville and Ginny watched, Ambrosia Flint’s wand popped out of her hand and skittered down the hall.


They had been in silence for nearly ten minutes. Adam had never experienced the headmaster’s office so quiet.

Finally, McGonagall released them from that state. –Please, explain yourself, Ms. Flint.”

Adam looked down at the young girl. Her head was bowed low in what he hoped was shame. Then he heard a sob escape from her mouth and he walked around in front of her because he had to see it himself to believe it.

She was crying, uncontrollably. He looked to McGonagall, who had just noticed the same thing herself, and she looked away, feeling badly for making the girl cry, even though he knew it couldn’t have been the first time she had put a student in such a state.

He looked back to Ambrosia as the first-year wiped her eyes. She couldn’t look up at them, –Please don’t expel me...my parents they...” She trailed off into tears.

Adam couldn’t take it any longer. –Headmistress I
have reason to believe that a malevolent ghost has been haunting Ms. Flint, teaching her spells and forcing her to use them against her will.”

Both females looked at him. He stood up straight, ready to back his words.

–You have reason to believe? And how long have you had this reason?” his superior demanded.
–A few weeks,” he returned.

–And you’re only telling me now?”

–It seemed...imprudent to bother the Headmistress until I had proof.”

–Proof? Were you waiting for someone to die, Professor?”

That one he had no answer for.

–It’s not his fault, Headmistress.” Ambrosia had finally found her voice, and she was defending him! It was indeed a strange day. They exchanged a look and suddenly he knew this whole time she had been nothing but a child afraid of the bogey-man. –The...the ghost started visiting me even before I came here. She’s been making me learn....terrible things.”

‘She,’ that’s a useful piece of information, Adam thought.

–Oh, that’s awful,” he heard one of the portraits on the wall call out. He had forgotten that the magical portraits of the former Headmasters and Headmistresses listened in on everything, even when they were pretending they didn’t.

–And what is the name of this ghost?” McGonagall shook with rage and concern.

–I....I...” Ambrosia couldn’t spit it out, she looked at Adam, pleading.

He stepped forward. –I’ve been told by other spirits that they are afraid to speak...her name,” he said.

McGonagall leaned back in her chair, probably debating whether to force the girl to say it and by what other means she could get the name. –This is certainly an interesting development,” she said. –I suppose, given the circumstances, that Ms. Flint can return to her classes.”

Adam looked to Ambrosia as her face lit up and they exchanged a smile.

–However,” McGonagall continued, dampening their mood. –I will have to inform her parents and have them meet with Professor Cynon.”

Panic now for both Slytherins. –But Professor, I thought we were going to keep this within the school,” Adam said, his tone almost pleading.

–I would have loved to, Professor, but if a ghost has been haunting Ms. Flint, then her parents may elect to remove her themselves.”

–No! You can’t!” Ambrosia yelled, waking some portrait occupants.

McGonagall glared her down, and Adam steered her towards the exit. –Thank you, Professor. I promise I will discover the identity of this ghost.”

–See that you do, Professor.”

He gave a little bow and ushered his student to the door.

–And Adam,” the headmistress called him back. –It wasn’t easy for her to say, but Mrs. Potter sends her thanks. She would have been here herself, but she suddenly had to be at another match.” McGonagall flashed him that smile that indicated she knew more then she let on. The same one as the night he had arrived at the castle.

Adam smiled broadly, he had a feeling that meant Ginny couldn’t bear to look him in the face now, after what she had said to him.

–Thank you ma’am.”

As he was leaving he heard McGonagall talking to what he could only assume was a portrait on the wall, –He’s coming along, like you said he would.”

His smile got broader.


It was night by the time they got back to the common room. Gryffindor had beaten Slytherin in a close match, and everyone had gone to their rooms early after a long day of moping.

Adam stared out the window of the common room, as if the Black Lake outside would swim an answer right to his front door.

Ambrosia sat on the couch under the window in front of him, clearly troubled. She was so different from the girl that had opposed him on that first night, was her youthful soul already that lessened, wizened by her experiences with the malevolent spirit? Even her hair seemed to have lost some of its ebony shine and started turning a dark yellow.

He took a deep breath and sat beside her. She still wouldn’t look at him. –Ambrosia, I have to ask, were you really ready to kill Mrs. Potter?”

To his great relief, Ambrosia shook her head.

–Good, that’s good. You should know the spell wouldn’t have worked if you didn’t mean it.”

Now it was the first-year’s turn to be relieved. She finally turned to him, some semblance of a smile finally returning. –You mean it?”

He nodded, though he realized this had never been proven of the Killing Curse, even though it had with others.

But now he had an opening. –I need you tell me everything you can about the ghost.”

Her face fell again. –She wears a dark cloak and cackles a lot, but I don’t know her name, she never gave it.”

–And it started by visiting you at home?”

The little girl nodded, –She taught me wand movements and incantations for months before I came to school, but I never actually performed any of the spells so the Ministry wouldn't know. When my mother...”

She cut herself off, knowing she had given something away she hadn't intended.

–Your mother? She already knows?”

Ambrosia looked away, an admission of the truth.

He decided to push further. –It was her idea, wasn’t it? She encouraged you to learn from the ghost.” It made sense now. Her pureblood Slytherin mother had apprenticed the daughter she had taught to hate to a spirit who could teach her to channel that hatred.

Ambrosia still wouldn’t look at him, but now he was anxious to speak to her parents.

–You can’t tell her I told you!” Ambrosia pled, –You don’t know what she’s like!”

–I think I’m beginning to.” he took a deep breath, knowing she was right, when dealing with people like this he knew it best to not tip his hand. –Don’t worry, it’ll be our secret. You have classes tomorrow, you should get some rest.”

Ambrosia hopped down and headed for the girls’ dormitory, seemingly relieved. At the door, she turned back, –Good night, Professor.”

–Good night, Ambrosia.”

–Amber.”

–What?”

She smiled, –My friends call me Amber.”

Adam smiled back, –Good night, Amber.”

She disappeared into the room, leaving Adam alone with his thoughts.

At least he seemed to have turned one enemy into an ally.


The next afternoon, Adam paced back and forth in front of the castle’s main gate. Ambrosia’s parents were due to arrive at any moment. They could not Apparate onto the school grounds of course, but the grounds ended on just the other side of that gate. He had looked in the first year’s file to see who he would be dealing with, and what he found had floored him. He had thought he was prepared, ready to feel them out and see just how far their agenda went, but now that he knew who he would soon be staring down, he realized he would have to be at his sharpest to pull that off.

There was a pair of pops behind him, indicating that a pair of wizards had Apparated in.

He spun on his heels, it was show time.

As the gate swung open on its own, he exchanged flat, business-like smiles with the couple standing on the other side.

The male had large front teeth and a heavy brow. He had been Slytherin quidditch captain for part of Adam’s years at the school, and his broad build indicated that he was probably still active athletically. Adam always thought that Marcus Flint was a lout and a brute, and there was once a rumor that he had some troll blood in his veins. All of that was great for a quidditch player, but this was going to be a contest of wits, and in that regard Marcus was virtually unarmed.

No, he wasn’t the threat. The true rival here would be Ambrosia’s mother. With her raven hair and pug nose, she had changed little in the thirteen years since that last night he’d seen her.

–Hello Pansy,” Adam said, trying to keep his voice even as he faced his onetime crush and, ultimately, betrayer, –Marcus,” he added to the male as an afterthought.

Both of them glowered at him, the kind of haughty look it takes years to cultivate and perfect. –We would prefer Mr. and Mrs. Flint, if you don’t mind, Professor.”

The Flints had a hard time keeping a straight face as she said his title.

Good jab, Pansy, asking me to address you formally while poking fun at my appointment, Adam thought.

She was doing it to rattle him from the off, but he wasn’t going to let her get to him.

–As you wish, Mr. and Mrs. Flint.” He said politely, gesturing for them to enter the grounds. –Welcome back to Hogwarts.”

They stepped in and kept walking, talking to him over their shoulders without looking in his direction. –Our daughter has written to us about the shoddiness of her lessons,” Marcus offered. –Transfiguration in particular.”

–I’m sorry she feels that way,” Adam said, letting the obvious insult roll off him.

–It doesn’t surprise us that she would choose to act out,” Pansy defended, –poor dear was probably just bored. What did you say she did again?”

–Actually, Pansy, I didn’t say,” Adam retorted, using her name subtlety to try to neutralize her sense of
superiority.

Pansy was about to correct him, but then the Flints stopped in their tracks. The door to the school in front of them was closed and, expecting it to open on its own, they waited.

Just as Adam had planned. In the second it took them to realize it wasn’t going to happen automatically, Adam strode forward and, with a wave of his wand, the door opened slowly, allowing him to enter the school ahead of them.

The Flints snarled in his direction as Adam pretended there was no mental chess game being played, but they refused to rush forward to get ahead again. –Your daughter has been tight-lipped about the whole thing, but I have come to learn that she has been plagued by one of the castle ghosts almost since she arrived here.”

–Oh, how horrid,” Pansy feigned disgust, then gestured with her head to Adam.

Marcus, getting the idea right away, (which means they must have rehearsed it a dozen times beforehand) surged forward and touched Adam’s arm, forcing the professor to stop and turn around to listen to him. –That is just awful. Do you know which one? What has it been doing to her?”

As he was speaking, Pansy slipped behind Adam, getting back into the lead.

That wasn’t important, it was time to shield Ambrosia, –Well, I can’t find out for certain, as I’ve said, your daughter has been characteristically tight-lipped.”

Marcus caught up to Pansy, leaving Adam behind again. She placed her arm in his, a congratulations for a job well done.

Adam resumed following, –But it does appear to be disturbing her studies and behavior. I’m afraid she’s been quite flippant with me and some of the other professors, if she weren’t from such a....–distinguished” Slytherin family, she would have been severely disciplined.” He noticed the Flints give each other looks of pride, and Adam wondered what he had done to warrant such vehemence from the family.

By now they were walking around the transfiguration courtyard, heading for Adam’s office, but Adam changed directions and went into the courtyard. –It’s such a beautiful autumn day, I was thinking we could conduct the rest of the interview out here,” he said, coming to a stop on the grass.

The Flints were forced to turn around and awkwardly backtrack to rejoin him in the open air section, admiring the late October foliage.

–So what do you plan to do about this supposed ghost?” Pansy asked in a tone of voice that indicated that she thought there was nothing he could do.

–I am working with Professor Longbottom on some protective incantations that should help.”

He knew the mention of Neville’s name would anger the Flints, and he was pleased when they both scowled. Pansy covered it up better than her husband, but not by much.

She looked like she was going to say something, but just then Ambrosia was entering the courtyard. The first-year made a beeline for the trio of adults. –Mother, father,” she greeted her parents coldly.

Marcus put a hand on her shoulder and Pansy bent to look her daughter in the eye, –What happened to your hair? Its so light, are you taking care of yourself? You look so thin, you should be eating more.” Without even waiting for any answers, she went right into, –Sweetie, what’s this the professor tells us about a ghost?”

Ambrosia looked nervous, shooting Adam an angry look. They had prepared for this, and the girl played her part so well that a piece of Adam was worried that she was still playing him, and not her parents. –I don’t know why he would say that,” she pleaded ignorance.

–Hmmm, well, he seems pretty certain,” Pansy told her.

–The professor doesn’t like me,” Ambrosia spoke bluntly, like she had those first couple of days.


–Really, Miss Flint,” Adam defended, playing his part, –that’s not...”

But he was interrupted by Pansy, –We would like to speak to my daughter alone if you please.”

Adam was hesitant to do it, he didn’t want to leave Ambrosia alone on the chance that Pansy would make her reveal all she had told him, but to keep up the act he had no choice but to go along with the request. –Of course. I’ll be in my office.”

As he strode off, he turned to give a last look to Ambrosia. Even though Pansy was speaking to her in words he couldn’t hear, the first-year was looking at him, silently pleading, and he gave her what he hoped was an encouraging nod before entering his office.