Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Tail-Chasing by dmbw7052

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Much thanks to maple for betaing this. Without her, Scorpius would have sounded like a stuffy old man.


–Aren’t you adorable?” Scorpius patted the bright purple Pygmy Puff in his lap. It squeaked happily and nuzzled his finger with its tiny nose. Scorpius smiled, glad to have found an animal that didn’t bite, hiss, or scratch. That was the problem with magical creatures. They tended to be violent, and violence was something that Draco Malfoy would not allow in the house.

For the past three years, Scorpius had begged for a pet. All his friends had owls and some even had cats or dogs. He knew there was no chance of him getting a dog, but maybe something small would be all right with his parents.

That was why he was sitting on the floor of the pet shop with a pile of Pygmy Puffs squirming next to him. Technically, he was supposed to be at Flourish and Blotts, but what his father didn’t know couldn’t hurt him. Draco had given him some money to get books and promptly went off to the Leaky Cauldron. He had said it was a business meeting, but Scorpius didn’t believe him. Father was a competent liar and was probably just having a drink with some friends.

He placed the purple Pygmy Puff back with the rest and shoved the whole group in to their cage. Even though they were quite cute, Scorpius wanted a more active pet. Something he could play with and wouldn’t just sit there and look pretty. Of course, a dog would have been the best choice and a cat would have been nice too, but Father thought they were annoying creatures that shouldn’t associate with little boys.

Scorpius had tried telling father that dog’s were man’s best friend, but Draco had dismissed it as some funny Muggle notion. Scorpius hadn’t felt it necessary to mention that he had gleaned that fact from a book Grandfather Lucius had lent him. Father wouldn’t have cared.

He had been offered an owl countless times, which would have been useful for school, but it wasn’t really what he wanted. Last year, which was his first at Hogwarts, he had sent a long letter home stating all the benefits of having a pet. Come Christmas, he had received a stuff dog.

–Do you need some help?” a kind voice asked. Scorpius looked up to see an older lady with a gentle smile standing next to him.

–No, not really. I’m just looking around a bit.” Scorpius didn’t want to interact with people much on this mission. Any chance his father might hear about him coming here was to be avoided and talking to people fell in that category.

–All right dear. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.” She left and went back to her work.

Scorpius breathed a sigh of relief and went on looking in the various cages. At the moment, he was standing in the Family Friendly Pets section. One row over was the Most Dangerous and Violent Pets. He knew that his father wouldn’t want him over there.

Most of the cages in the Family section had owls in them. Scorpius did not need an owl, as he had full use of the family owl. Plus, owls sometimes made a mess.

He looked around the row. Maybe he could find something like a cat, but less annoying. Not that Scorpius found cats annoying, but his father did. His mother was also a bit allergic to their fur. He didn’t want to be the cause of her going to St. Mungo’s.

A white creature in a cage caught his eye. It was running in circles, as if it were chasing its own tail. It stopped when it saw Scorpius looking at it and began grooming itself. It was long and thin, almost like some kind of rodent. It had a pointy nose that sniffed curiously every few seconds. Scorpius smiled to see it looking so happy. Maybe this was the pet for him.

He left the animal behind and went over to where the lady was sweeping. She looked up as he approached and gave him a smile.

–Did you find something you liked?” She put her broom down and walked over to him.

–Well, I did, but I’m not sure what it is.” He gestured to the cage where the animal had resumed chasing its tale.

–The white one?” she asked.

Scorpius nodded.

–That’s a ferret,” she explained. –Some people think of them as being rodents, but they’re actually not even related. I find them to be particularly friendly and very playful. A boy your age would be quite happy with one as a pet. They take a bit of work, but a House Elf can easily take care of one.”

Scorpius smiled, glad to have found a pet that his father might approve of. They had numerous House Elves that could take care of it, so that would not be a problem

–Would you like to buy it now, or later?” the lady asked.

–Well, I’m going to have to ask my father first, but I’ll probably get it later today.” Scorpius could feel the money jangling in his pocket, but didn’t think his father would be too pleased if he bought a pet without asking first.

–What exactly are we discussing here?” a familiar voice said.

Scorpius whirled around to see his father standing there, his eyebrows raised. –Well, umm, I thought that I would look at all the pets and see if I could get one.”

–And did you find one?” Draco asked, glancing at all the pets that surrounded them.

–Yes, I actually did,” Scorpius said happily. –It’s not a cat, or a dog. It won’t shed fur, so Mother won’t be allergic. It’s playful, so it’s way more fun than a Pygmy Puff.”

At this, Draco snorted. –A Pygmy Puff? You actually considered getting a Pygmy Puff?”

–For a little bit, I did. They’re quiet and you might have allowed one. But they’re not very exciting, so I decided not to.”

–Thank goodness! We would be the laughing stock of the Society of Purebloods. Imagine, a Malfoy having a ball of fluff as a pet!” Draco shook his head. –No, you will not be getting a Pygmy Puff.
–Anyway,” Scorpius continued, –I found a perfect pet! I can keep it in my room all the time too, since it stays in a cage.”

–What exactly is this pet?” Draco asked. –It actually sounds rather good for our family. I might even approve.”

–A ferret!” Scorpius said excitedly. He ran over to the cage, dragging his father after him. –Isn’t he adorable!”

Draco took a step backwards and looked at his son strangely. –A ferret? Really, a ferret?”

–It’s just a pet,” Scorpius said, now a bit confused. His father had just said that it sounded like a nice pet. What had changed?

–I don’t think I’ll be allowing you to purchase a ferret,” Draco said, looking a bit green.

–Why not?” Scorpius asked. –You just said you might approve.”

–A pet is one thing. A ferret is another.”

–What’s wrong with ferrets?” Scorpius was disappointed. He had been sure he would finally be getting the pet of his dreams.

–I have had a bad experience with ferrets,” Draco said. –Or rather, being a ferret.”

Scorpius looked at his father, shock written all over his face. –You- you were a ferret?”

–A transfigured ferret,” Draco said stiffly. –Now, don’t ask any more questions.” He dragged Scorpius out of the pet store, sending one last scathing look at the innocent animal. –A ferret, of all things.”

Chapter Endnotes:
Thanks for Reading! A review would be lovely too!