Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Final Chances by IWriteToSurvive

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Most unfortunately, I am not JKR, but I hope you all like my story anyway. I'm trying my best. It's not perfect, but this is my first fic to be published.
Draco spent a lot of time alone and cooped up in his room at Malfoy Manor after the Battle of Hogwarts. He kept having nightmares of his previous years. Every night he would wake in a sweat from memories he strongly wished he could forget. As each day dragged on Draco grew more and more depressed. He couldn't help but feel like his life was doomed to be miserable and filled with sorrow and regret.

It wasn’t until a hot summer day in early July that Draco found hope that his future could be different. On this summer day, Draco, and all the students of Hogwarts, received a letter; a letter inviting them all back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

When Draco’s mother, Narcissa, saw his letter, she smiled and insisted he return to Hogwarts. Though Draco was already of age, Narcissa wanted him to complete his final year at Hogwarts. She saw this as an opportunity for Draco’s life to improve and wanted her son to have the best possible chance to move forward from the past she knew he hated.

At first, Draco was reluctant to return to Hogwarts but, tough as he knew it would be, he decided to go anyway.

It was on the train ride to Hogwarts when Draco realized the full impact of what returning truly meant. Immediately upon entering the train he noticed the way everyone stared at him. Not being the same proud and arrogant person he once was, Draco kept his head down and avoided all eye contact. Everyone was silent as he proceeded past them, only whispering to their neighbors once his back was turned. Eager to escape the unwanted attention, Draco disappeared into the first empty compartment he could find and locked the door behind him. Drawing the curtains closed, he sighed in relief as the cold stares from the people in the corridor beyond disappeared from sight. Sinking into a spot beside the window, he pressed his forehead against the cool glass and closed his eyes. This term wasn’t going to be easy.

Upon his arrival at Hogwarts, Draco looked up at the building that housed some of his worst memories. Instantly he was filled with immense guilt at the sight of the broken castle. Giant, gaping holes still made their mark on a few of the castle’s towers, black scorch marks from rebounded curses and jinxes had yet to be rub from the outer walls, and in the very back of the castle, Draco could see a tower that was still undergoing construction. Shame flooded over him as he looked at the aftermath of a battle that constantly haunted him. All of this was his fault. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes again as he tried to clear his head of the nightmare. Trying to blend in, he drifted with the crowd up the castle steps and into the Great Hall. Draco managed to sit himself at the very edge of the Slytherin table without attracting too much attention and avoiding all eye contact. Draco sat through the feast in silence. His goal this term was to avoid everyone and remain invisible. So far, it was working.

Draco had yet to say a word to anyone and the rest of the evening went by in a haze. Though he was surrounded by other Slytherins who returned, Draco had never felt more alone. Draco spent the rest of the night lying awake in his dormitory. He couldn’t sleep. Familiar as his surroundings were, Draco finally came to the conclusion that this dormitory would no longer bring him comfort. Slytherin House would never again feel like home to him. He was merely a stranger, visiting.

*****

The next day, classes began as usual. As Draco scanned over his course schedule Professor Slughorn had given him, he was relieved to see that he head a free period first thing that morning. This meant that he was free to take his time with breakfast and had at least an hour or so to avoid a crowded classroom filled with the very people who despised him. Gradually the Great Hall emptied as students made their way to morning classes. With each person that left the Hall, Draco began to relax a little more.

When the Hall was empty Draco attempted to eat breakfast and memorize his new course schedule. Absorbed as he was, he did not take immediate notice when a tall figure stood next to him. Draco jumped slightly when the person coughed to announce their presence and, looking up, he met eyes with Headmistress McGonagall.

–Hello, Professor,” he said. –I’m sorry, I know I ought to have left by now but my first period is free so I thought I’d stay a little longer and-”

Professor McGonagall held up one hand, interrupting Draco, and said, –It’s quite all right, Mr. Malfoy. I only wished to have a quick word with you.”

Not knowing what to expect, Draco nodded but held his silence. For a moment it seemed as if Professor McGonagall were lost for words, then she did something Draco never would have expected from a woman as strict and proper as her. She sighed and took a seat on the bench next to him at the Slytherin table. Something about her sitting at a student table so casually seemed out of place to Draco; odd, yet natural.

–I want to tell you how very proud of you I am, Mr. Malfoy.”

In shock and certain that he had not heard her correctly, Draco developed a perplexed expression which McGonagall noticed and further elaborated.

–I am proud and pleased that you chose to return to Hogwarts this term. It was a very brave decision,” she said, folding her hands on the table in front of them. –I’m not going to lie to you, Mr. Malfoy. This year is going to be difficult for you. Many people have questioned my decision to invite you back to Hogwarts. Most people still mistrust you and your family, and with good reason, but I have decided to give you one last chance,” she paused and then added, –I saw you the night of the Battle, Mr. Malfoy. You and your parents sat in a corner of this very hall. You looked…relieved.”

–I was relieved, Professor,” Draco said quietly, looking away. –My nightmare was finally over.”

McGonagall smiled slightly in sympathy. –Many nightmares ended that night, Mr. Malfoy. Something changed in you then. I could see it. This is why I invited you to return to Hogwarts. You’re a changed person who deserves a second chance.”

–Thank you, Professor. I appreciate it,” Draco said.

McGonagall nodded slightly and continued. –I also wanted to give you this,” she said, handing him a tiny badge. Looking at it, Draco realized it was the badge usually worn by the Head Boy. Slightly confused, and extremely shocked, he attempted to hand the badge back to Professor McGonagall.

–I can’t take this, Professor. I don’t deserve it and I definitely haven’t earned it.”

McGonagall refused to reclaim the badge. –You have done more than earn it. The very fact that you believe yourself unworthy tells me that you are. The Battle and the things you witnessed changed you, Mr. Malfoy. Had you not changed you would not have returned to school. Usually the Head Boy and Head Girl would have received notification of their appointment by owl but, I waited to send the Head Boy badge. I wanted to see if you would return before I made my final decision.”

Silence followed this speech for several seconds before Draco found his voice. –Thank you, Professor. I’ll do my best.”

–You’re welcome,” she said as she stood from the table. –Now, I suggest you prepare for your first lesson. Your N.E.W.T. year is very important.”

–Yes, Professor.”

–And if you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.”

*****

Still in shock at the Headmistress’s faith in him, he had yet to place the badge on his robes at all the first week of lessons. Instead, he kept it in his pocket, not wanting to attract any unwanted attention. Somehow, miraculously, he had managed to avoid and kind of confrontation thus far. Draco had learned that Hermione Granger had been made Head Girl, naturally. Not too keen on the idea of Granger, Weasley, and Potter discovering his new position as Head Boy, Draco continued to keep his badge in his pocket. It wasn’t until that Friday, his first night of corridor patrol duty, that he exposed the shiny little badge to the outside world, rather than the inside of his pocket.

Draco was patrolling the third floor corridor a little past eleven o’clock when, as a result of his attention being elsewhere, he ran right into someone.

–Lumos,” he said, looking to the floor at the person he had accidentally knocked down. It was Hermione Granger.

Before he could help her up and apologize, Hermione was at her feet and telling him off. –What on earth are you sneaking about for, Malfoy,” she asked angrily.

–I’m not –sneaking about,” Granger,” he retorted, slightly irritated.

–Then what are you doing out so late?” she demanded.

–Same as you I suppose,” he said calming himself a little bit.
–Patrolling the corridors. It’s part of my duties, after all.”

Hermione placed her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes in suspicion. –Slytherin Prefects have Monday, Thursday, and Sunday patrols, Malfoy.”

–I’m fully aware of that,” he replied.

–Then what are you wandering about for?”

–Like I said, I’m doing my duty.”

–It’s not your night to patrol!” she said, getting rather irritable.
Without saying anything, Draco pulled his Head Boy badge from his pocket and held it up for Hermione to see. Pinning the badge to the front of his robes, Draco said, –It is my night to patrol, Granger. I’m Head Boy.”

Shock and surprise mingled on Hermione’s face before she indicated the badge on his chest and said, –Where did you get that?”

–Professor McGonagall gave it to me first day of lessons. What, do you think I stole it or something?” he asked sarcastically. This was the exact kind of confrontation he had been trying to avoid all week.

Hermione remained silent though her expression clearly stated that she thought it very likely that Draco could have stolen the badge. Noticing this, Draco became irritated and offended. –Look, I was just as surprised and skeptical as you are when McGonagall told me. I even tried to give it back but she insisted. So, whether we like it or not, I’m Head Boy and I plan on doing my best to deserve this badge. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to finish my patrols.”

*****

After her patrol duties were finished around midnight Hermione made her way back to Gryffindor Tower. Sitting in an armchair next to the fire, Hermione found herself lost in thought and almost didn’t realize when Harry, Ron, and Ginny all moved from their table to join her around the fire.

Why has McGonagall made Malfoy Head Boy? Why not Harry or Ron? After everything that happened in the battle surely one of them deserves it more? So, why Malfoy? How could he possibly have earned it?

Hermione was brought out of her thoughts by a kiss on the cheek. She smiled at Ron as he sat in the chair next to hers. Since the Battle of Hogwarts ended Hermione and Ron had spent little time apart. They finally belonged to one another. Things were as they should have been all along and they couldn’t be happier.

–Something on your mind, Hermione?” Ginny asked as she and Harry sat on the sofa next to the fire.

She thought for a moment then decided to tell them about Malfoy. As much as she wanted to avoid this conversation, she knew Ron would explode if he found out secondhand.

–Yes, actually. I ran into the new Head Boy during my patrols about an hour ago.”

–So, McGonagall did make someone Head Boy!” Ron exclaimed. –And here I was thinking she just couldn’t choose between me and Harry!”

–That, Ron, would have been an easy decision,” Ginny said sharply.

Before Ron could come back with a snide remark to his sister, Hermione spoke up. –I wish McGonagall had picked one of you. Or not appointed a Head Boy at all,” she finished quietly
.
–Why? Who did she pick?” Harry asked curiously.

Hermione hesitated, looking sideways into the fire and absentmindedly ran her fingers along the sleeve of her robes where, on her arm beneath, the word MUDBLOOD had been carved into her skin only months before. Noticing the slight movement Hermione made, Ginny gasped. Hermione nodded, thankful that Ginny had understood without her having to communicate verbally.

–How could she make that cowardly piece of scum Head Boy? Has she gone completely mental?” Ginny said, outraged.

–Who?” asked Ron, clueless as usual.

Hermione couldn’t look into Ron’s eyes. She hadn’t spoken Malfoy’s name in months. Despite her strength, what Malfoy’s aunt Bellatrix had done to her at Malfoy Manor had taken its toll on Hermione. She had spent months avoiding all mention of the event that led to her scars. Even avoided Malfoy himself as he reminded her of her torture. Yet, tonight, after taking several precautions, she had run directly into Draco Malfoy, the nephew of the woman who tortured her.

Hermione took a deep breath and looked up at Ron. Bracing herself for and explosion, Hermione finally said, –Malfoy. McGonagall made Malfoy Head Boy.”

–WHAT?” shouted Ron.

Hermione winced at Ron’s outraged. Several late-night stragglers left in the common room fell silent and stared at them.
–Is McGonagall insane? Why would she make him Head Boy?” Ron went on ranting.

Ginny and Ron spent the next ten minutes raving about Malfoy and McGonagall while Harry and Hermione sat there in silence. Finally, Harry spoke up. –I bet McGonagall has her reasons for making Malfoy Head Boy.”

This statement abruptly earned him intense looks of outrage from both Ron and Ginny. –Are you defending him, Harry? After all he’s done? After the things his family has done!” Ron said, furious. –It was his lunatic aunt that wrote that word on Hermione’s arm! And she attacked Ginny! It’s because of him and his family that Hogwarts needed to be rebuilt. He’s a damn Death Eater, Harry!”

–I’m not defending him, Ron. I’m just saying that McGonagall will have had her reasons. She’s not an idiot,” Harry said in his own defense. –Personally, I’m glad she didn’t pick me. This is our last year at Hogwarts and I’d rather it be a quiet one.”

Silence fell on the small group. Ron sat with his arms crossed, looking grumpy. Hermione was glad of the silence and soon after left for bed, kissing Ron on the cheek as she went. Exhausted though she was, Hermione knew she wouldn’t be getting much sleep. Not when Bellatrix still terrorized her dreams.