Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

In Good Faith by Flourish and Blott

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Eight weeks later, Rose was staring up from the examining table at her Healer in dismay. –You mean I can’t go to work.”

–Mrs. Malfoy,” Healer Hazelwood articulated carefully, –I mean that you cannot get out of bed.”

Scorpius interjected over Rose’s fuming, –What about the sofa? Or a chair?”

The Healer helped Rose sit up, propping a pillow behind her. –One week in bed. Then you can try the sofa or chair. And most definitely no Flooing or Portkey travel. Too much jostling might bring on premature labor.”

–I can’t do it,” wailed Rose.

–If you don’t, then these babies will be born sooner than they should be.” Healer Hazelwood held Rose’s eyes with hers. –I know it isn’t easy,” she said compassionately, –but you came in because you were having regular contractions. You’re only 34 weeks along, and the babies are quite small—twins often are smaller than singles. It would be better if the babies have time to do more growing—especially some lung development—before they come out into the world.”

Tears trickled down Rose’s cheeks. She was exhausted. The twins were now kicking her all night, every night, and it was impossible to sleep for any great length of time. She just wanted her life back to normal again, but it would never go back to the way it had been. They were going to have to make a new normal, Scorpius had pointed out just the day before, but saying something and doing something were two different things, as her Grandma Weasley liked to declare.

Scorpius was already making plans. That was his method of coping: logic and reason.

Back in his first year at Hogwarts, when he had been getting picked on by the Slytherins for being in Ravenclaw, he had reasonably informed them that Ravenclaw was likely to help neutralize the stigma attached to his name. Then, he had created a detailed schedule of every class he had and every Ravenclaw in his year who had that class with him. Systematically, he had made sure he walked to class taking a slightly different route with a different Ravenclaw every day, being predictably unpredictable. By keeping a friend with him at all times and taking unusual routes, he had circumvented his would-be tormentors. After a year of never being able to find him, the Slytherins had given up in disgust. By second year, he was too tall and too talented for the other second-years to take on anyway.

Rose had admired the quiet way he had handled the situation. It had not at all been what her dad had led her to expect from a Malfoy, and it had been the start of their friendship.

Today, Rose did not find Scorpius’s tendencies toward logic and reason to be impressive or lovable. As Scorpius prated on about inviting different family members to stay with her at the flat on different days, she came undone. –I will NOT be treated like I’m helpless, like an invalid. I don’t need a baby-sitter!” she yelled, causing a Healer’s assistant to peek in the doorway in concern.

–I wasn’t saying—– Scorpius began reasonably, but Rose was in full steam now. –I’m sick and tired of this. You can stop now. I don’t need you and your concern.”

Healer Hazelwood discreetly slipped out of the room. Scorpius stared at Rose in shock, hurt registering on his face. The two of them hardly ever yelled at each other. Rose had watched too many painful fights from her own parents, and Scorpius had hated his father’s icy anger. They had agreed to take time to calm down and to work things out without unkindness.

At the moment, though, Rose didn’t care what they had agreed upon. She realized she was stabbing at Scorpius with every word she spoke, but in the heat of the moment, she was taking a savage pleasure in doing so. –Just leave. Leave now. Don’t come back. I don’t want you.”

–But…” Scorpius tried one more time.

–No!” Rose screamed. –I hate that I’m in this mess. And you helped get me here. I hate you! And your family. So get out. Now!”

Scorpius turned on his heel, squaring his shoulders proudly as he walked out the door.

Rose felt viciously relieved for a moment after venting her frustration. Then she slumped down against the pillows in a storm of tears.

She roused slightly to drink a cup of tea that a Trainee Healer brought and then broke down sobbing again. She was a mean, evil person. She didn’t deserve Scorpius in the first place, and now she had driven him off. She deserved to be alone for the rest of her life.

A few minutes later, Healer Hazelwood returned to the room to find Rose asleep. Nodding in satisfaction, she walked down the hall to send an owl.


At the Ministry, Scorpius sat at his desk, head in his hands. He and Rose rarely shouted at each other, Rose having grown up hearing far too many shouting matches between her parents to want to argue that way. Rose’s words echoed in his ears. –I hate you!” It was the one thing they had promised never to say to each other. There had been too much hatred between their families.

Scorpius had been staring at the same list of potion ingredients for twenty minutes and had yet to actually go find any of them in the storeroom. Archie McMillan roused him from this stupor with a loud –Oy!”

Scorpius looked up listlessly to see Archie lounging in the door of his office.

–Malfoy, get off your lazy arse,” Archie prodded. –You’re just sitting there without moving.” He paused. –Hey, you look like hell.”

–Thanks a lot, McMillan.”

–No, really. What’s wrong? Is Rose okay?” Archie asked in concern. The former-Hufflepuff had fancied Rose in their third year at Hogwarts, but Scorpius knew that Archie had moved on from his crush years ago. He and Scorpius were now amiable colleagues, maybe even nominal friends.

–No,” Scorpius replied, chewing his lower lip.

–Yeah, Dorothea was sick and tired and moody when she was pregnant,” Archie said, referring to his wife of four years.

–She told me to get out. To leave and not come back.” Scorpius was horrified to find that his eyes were pricking with tears. He shook his head, went to the sink in the corner of the office usually used for dumping potions ingredients, and splashed water on his face.

Archie looked on in concern. Finally, he said, –Sometimes you can’t win.”

–Yeah, don’t I know it,” Scorpius grunted from behind the towel he was using.

–Hey, I came down because this just arrived for you by owl post,” Archie said, tossing a folded piece of parchment on Scorpius’s desk.

–Thanks,” Scorpius responded, picking it up as Archie left. The letterhead was St. Mungo’s, and Scorpius frantically tore it open to read:

Mr. Malfoy, Don’t worry. Your wife is asleep now. I gave her a calming draught in a cup of tea about twenty minutes ago. I wouldn’t dwell too much on what Mrs. Malfoy said. If you want some advice from someone who’s dealt with many pregnant witches, my suggestion would be to come back in an hour or so after she’s slept it off. Sincerely, Healer Hespira Hazelwood

Scorpius dashed off a quick thank you note, which he sent with a clerk to the Ministry Owlery. Then he popped his head into the Potions Department Head’s office. –Lisa?” Lisa Turpin looked up from the memo she was frowning over.

–Hello, Scorpius!” she said.

–Hey, Rose isn’t doing so well. Early contractions and all. They put her on bed rest. I think I need to go to St. Mungo’s and get her home,” Scorpius said, mendaciously leaving out a few pertinent facts.

–Oh, no!” Lisa stood, stretching out her hand to grasp Scorpius’s in concern. –Please tell her that we wish her the best. And of course you should be with her. Get out of here.”

Grateful for Lisa’s understanding, Scorpius took the lift away from the Potions offices. He had one more stop to make before St. Mungo’s.

At the entrance to the Auror Department, he handed over his wand to be weighed, gave his name, and sat down to wait for a clerk to come and usher him back to the Assistant Head Auror’s office. He stood abruptly in shock when Ron Weasley himself came out instead.

–Scorpius,” Ron said, nodding stiffly.

–Mr. Weasley,” Scorpius hesitated, looking at the security guard who was eying the two with unabashed curiosity. –Look, could we go back to your office for a moment? I wanted to talk with you.”

Ron turned wordlessly and led the way to the back. Scorpius returned Harry’s greeting as they passed him in the hall but didn’t linger to talk. When they reached the Assistant Head Auror office, Ron stepped aside to allow Scorpius in.

–Now,” he growled, closing the door, –what did you want to discuss?”

Scorpius wondered for the tenth time that minute whether this had been a good idea. –I wanted you to hear this as soon as possible because I think Rose is going to need you.”

–Are you breaking up with her?” Ron raged, jumping up from the chair he’d just sat down in.

–No!” Scorpius replied hurriedly. –I’m not!”

Ron stayed standing, arms crossed across his broad chest. His bright red hair might have some flecks of white in it, but he was in excellent physical condition and taller than Scorpius. –What, then?”

Self-consciously, Scorpius raised himself to his full height. –The healer just put her on bed rest. She’s been having contractions, and today they got worse. She sent me a Patronus just before I left for lunch, so I went straight over to St. Mungo’s.”

Ron’s angry frown relaxed as he leaned urgently toward Scorpius. –Is she okay? Is she safe? What about the babies?”

–She’s not in any danger right now,” Scorpius responded, –and the babies should be fine, too, if she stays off her feet. I just wanted to let you know. I don’t think Rose is going to enjoy being in bed all day. She might need you and Mrs. Weasley…” Scorpius trailed off uncertainly.

–What aren’t you telling me?” asked Ron.

Scorpius didn’t know what to do. He hadn’t planned to tell Mr. Weasley about his fight with Rose at all. He had planned to go to St. Mungo’s immediately and try to work things out with Rose, but he had thought that at least one person in Rose’s family should know what was going on. Now Ron had sensed that Scorpius wasn’t saying everything.

Under Mr. Weasley’s questioning gaze, Scorpius finally mumbled, –We had a fight. I was trying to figure out how to make the bed rest situation better, and she threw me out of the hospital room. She’s still there.”

Ron guffawed, appreciating the mental picture of Scorpius being driven out of the hospital by his enraged daughter. Scorpius tried to conceal the irritation and hurt that swept over him. He was having the worst day he could remember in a long time, and here Mr. Weasley was, laughing at him. Ron hadn’t been interrogating suspects for years without learning to read emotions on the faces of those he questioned, though, so he sobered at Scorpius’s obvious distress.

–Malfoy,” Ron said, putting his hand on Scorpius’s shoulder. –Scorpius.” He tried not to grimace at the name as he said it. –Look, Rose is like her mother. She bottles things up until she explodes.” He held up a hand. –It’s not pretty, mind you, but that’s how it is. I’ve survived many years of marriage by learning when to ignore the jabs Hermione gives.”

–Huh,” said Scorpius wonderingly, –I would’ve thought you were the one with the temper.”

–Well,” Ron admitted, –yes. But mine is right away. I get mad, yell a bit, and then calm down and think things through. Hermione is the more level-headed one usually. But when she gets upset, she’s smart enough to know exactly which things to say to hurt the most. And she doesn’t hold back.”

–Yeah,” Scorpius sighed, –I know what you mean.”

–I can’t believe I’m going to tell you this, but here’s my advice. Wait a bit to let her calm down. Then go back to the hospital and give Rose a chance to apologize. She’ll probably come around.”

Scorpius stared at Mr. Weasley in shock. Had he just heard correctly? Mr. Weasley was advising him to go back and try again with Rose?

–I know, I know,” Ron joked weakly. –Please don’t tell anyone what I just said. It’ll ruin my reputation as a hard-ass forever. To maintain my image, I should tell you that I still don’t like your father, you know.”

–Well, I’d say he doesn’t really like you either,” Scorpius returned defensively, family pride hurt, –so I guess you’re even.”

Ron laughed. –Git,” he said. Scorpius wasn’t sure if Ron was referring to him or Draco, but he decided not to inquire further. After saying his good-byes, he rushed off to St.Mungo’s.


When he got to St. Mungo’s labor and delivery ward, he found Healer Hazelwood standing outside of the door to the room Rose had been in earlier.

–She’s still in there,” whispered the Healer, –but she’ll probably be waking up soon. Do you want to go in?”

–Um, I think so?” Scorpius wavered.

–All right. I’ll leave you to it then,” she smiled as she clapped him encouragingly on the back.

Scorpius leaned against the wall, his stomach clenching. –Not a Gryffindor,” he muttered. He stayed that way for a few moments until he realized he was drawing the pitying gazes of all the Medi-witches and wizards who passed by. The insult to his Malfoy pride was enough to drive him through the doorway when courage failed.

Once inside, he stared at Rose. Lying on her side, she was breathing deeply, regularly, but her face looked puffy and red. Her long braid had come loose against the pillow, and she had one hand twisted in the pillowcase. Deciding it was better to be on the offensive than the defensive, Scorpius walked over stroked her hair. –Rose? Hey, Rosie?”

She blinked, disoriented, as she woke up, and then the memory of the previous events crashed down on her. –Oh,” she groaned, starting to cry again.

Scorpius looked at her anxiously. –It’s okay, Rose. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

Rose sobbed harder.

–Rosie,” he repeated frantically.

–No, no,” she gulped, –I’m sorry.”

–You don’t want to leave me, then?” Scorpius sagged in relief.

–I can’t believe you don’t want to leave me. I was horrible,” Rose gulped.

–Yes,” Scorpius conceded, –you were. But I probably shouldn’t have jumped in with planning just then. I know you needed time to process.”

–Scorpius, everything just feels out of control. I feel out of control. Half the time I feel like I can’t control what I’m saying or doing.”

–And you like to be in control,” Scorpius finished, suddenly understanding. The twins, the contractions, the bed rest, all these things had been out of her control, and Rose had lashed out at something she could exert control over: her relationship with him.

–Yes,” Rose sniffled, trying to reach the tissues on the table by the bed. Scorpius handed them to her and then sat down next to her. –I panicked,” Scorpius admitted to her. –I thought you didn’t want to be with me anymore. I tried to draw up a financial plan for how much you and the babies would need each month to stay in the flat if I weren’t there, but I couldn’t do it.”

Rose gave a watery chuckle. –Not even able to plan, huh, Scorpius? You’ve got it bad,” she teased.

He took her face between his hands. –Yes. And please don’t ever throw me out again. You can yell, you can scream, hell, you can even throw things at me. But don’t tell me you hate me. And please don’t tell me to leave. I can’t take it.”

–No ejecting husband from flat. Check,” Rose said.

–By the way,” Scorpius disclosed, –I went to see your father on the way to the hospital.”

–Scorpius!” Rose squeaked. –Why would you do such a thing?”

–Well, I thought at least one of your family members should know about the bed rest. But he realized I wasn’t telling him everything, and so I sort of had to mention that we had a fight,” Scorpius finished.

–Oh, great.”

–No, it was okay, actually. He told me to wait a bit for you to calm down and then try to make it up.”

–What?” Rose asked blankly.

–Yeah. Odd, huh?”

–Maybe he’s coming around.”

–Well, he ended the conversation by reiterating that he doesn’t like my father, so I’m not sure that this is a dramatic change.”

–My dad getting along with your dad is probably too much to ask for,” Rose shrugged. –Hey, how am I going to get home?”

–You want to go home?”

–Git.” Somehow, the word sounded much less threatening coming from Rose than it did from her father.

By dint of a stretcher, a cab, and then a levitation spell that Scorpius performed at the steps of the flat after the cabbie had driven off, they managed to get Rose to the bed. –I guess I’ll make dinner,” Scorpius remarked uncertainly. Thinking of several blackened messes, Rose grimaced. She was usually the one to do the cooking.

–Or you could order takeout?” she compromised. Looking relieved, Scorpius headed off to complete the task. Rose shifted on the bed, trying to get comfortable. It was going to be a long week.

Chapter Endnotes: One of my favorite HP fanfic writers is St. Margaret's who posts at PhoenixSong.net. She has a lovely fic called "Roger and Lisa: A Romance" that I really loved. The Lisa Turpin in my story is a little shout-out to St. Margaret's.