Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Bench by Writ Encore

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The longest day followed the longest night. A set of pressed magenta robes lay across the large bed. She felt like a schoolgirl with nothing to wear, although there was plenty there. After making a fool of herself in front of her mentor and a handful of judges, Amelia wanted nothing more than to call it a night. Every single thing that could have gone wrong today happened. Whatever happened in the morning session paled next to the afternoon trials when she opened her mouth to answer a question and completely lost it over Elphinestone Urquhart’s expensive shoes.

Someone knocked on the door. Amelia wore an evening chiffon gown, an unexpected gift from her husband, and it fell to the floor. For a burly man who lived for the Daily Prophet, she had to admit he had style. Of course, Benjy was the youngest of five siblings; he had been surrounded by sisters his entire life, so he’d probably picked up pointers along the way. The locks clicked and the door opened; the visitor climbed the stairs and made himself at home. She heard voices and closed her eyes, seriously considering falling back onto the bed.

–I’m not here,” she said, opening a shoe box. She looked up at a heavyset man with white hair and a wrinkled face. –Not you.”

Elphinestone walked over to her, took the shoebox while kneeling on the floor, and slipped the shoes onto her feet. Since her first day at the Ministry for Magic, Amelia had never met a more patient man who worked with the government. He worked in law, specialized in estate law, yet most people were surprised to hear it. They went with the assumption that people who worked amongst the vultures death after death did not get out much. He had delegated responsibilities in his little corner of the cubicle world, yet he went out of his way to take care of his people.

–You ruined my shoes,” he said, offering her a hand and spinning her around so he could zip her gown. He laughed, catching her pained expression in the wardrobe mirror. –You owe me eight hours of research, by the way. Thank your husband.”

–Why?” She checked her refection, and although she liked the gown, she felt uncomfortable. She fingered the fine material, resting her other hand on her lower back. Perhaps she shouldn’t have walked out on the conference and ended the interrogation on her terms. –He’s right, you know. Justice Nott said I’ve forgotten my career path and allowed my private life to get in the way. I don’t deserve this.”

–Why not? Is it because you have a family outside of the Ministry?” Elphinestone sounded annoyed, almost angry. He had attended her conference earlier that day; he had sat in the back row of Courtroom Eight whilst the Wizengamot questioned her for what seemed like hours. –He wants his son to take that seat from you. You’re my appointment to the bench, young lady, and you know damn well you went through hell for it!”

Amelia laced a shawl through her arms and followed him out of the bedroom. They went down the staircase together. She spotted Professor McGonagall leaning over the typewriter on the ancient writing desk in the corner. Amelia smiled, thinking she should have known, for Elphinestone had hinted he wasn’t attending this dinner alone.

–Good evening, Madam Bones,” she said, dropping the formality when Amelia rolled her eyes and laughed for the first time that night. She set Benjy’s worn copy of Writing Well back on the desk. –Of all the people who would need a hand in writing well, I would think the associate editor-”

–-trusts that book with his life,” said Amelia, checking small pocketbook as Elphinestone took a pinch of Floo Powder from the wooden box and tossed it into the fireplace. –It was a gift from his favorite uncle; he writes for the Times.”

In the scheme of things, Charles Fenwick meant the world his nephew, and Benjy never shied away from this fact. After nearly nine years of marriage. Amelia had come to accept when something, anything happened to Charles, Benjy shuffled his priorities. Charles was a good man who lived alone on the other side of London. He’d adopted Amelia into the family with open arms the moment he set eyes on her. Amelia, surprised, went with it. When she thought about it, and this weighed on her mind as the days ticked by quite a lot, Charles was more excited about his great niece or his great nephew than anyone else in the family.

They stepped into the fireplace. Shortly after they had landed on their feet, Amelia looked around what appeared to be an empty pub; it was completely dark. With working anywhere from twelve to sixteen hours days lately, she travelled only from home to work and back again. There was a small pop and Minerva appeared beside Elphinestone. After she let go of Elphinestone’s hand, Amelia took a cautious step back, trying to regain her balance, stepping on someone’s foot, and screamed bloody murder when someone grabbed her from behind.

–It’s me. It’s me.” Edgar whispered in her ear as the lights flicked on one by one. He held her close, shaking with laughter. –I didn’t know it was going to be that bad. I’m sorry, really, I’m sorry.”

–Idiot! Who does that?” She let him rest his hands on her hips.

Amelia looked at the familiar faces crowded around them. Most of them, of course, worked at the Ministry. Elphinestone and Minerva stepped off to the side; Mr. Crouch, dressed in impeccable dress robes spoke loudly to a deaf Mr. Ogden. Mr. Ogden, legally blind and going deaf (if he was not already), had handpicked Amelia to serve as both his scribe and his clerk on the bench. Justice Theodore Nott, a blonde-haired man built like a brick wall, sat at the bar nursing a drink and discussing matters with the innkeeper, Tom.

–Gentlemen,” she said, accepting a glass from her brother. –I hoped to meet Mr. Ogden here, but I was told there another case on the docket this evening. I take you’re all dreadful liars.”

–Not necessarily a good thing, if you catch my drift.” Elphinestone sipped a wine glass. –Oh, and all of you fools who doubted me, she’s my gift to your court. You’re welcome. I expect your apologies in writing in the morning.”

Amelia looked at him curiously, and the judges laughed when he studied the dirty floor and requested another drink. Was it a joke? After a moment, she decided she did not care. The talk naturally spilled into work after a while. Edgar pulled her over to Mr. Ogden. They discussed this and that once Mr. Ogden caught on to Amelia’s old signal and adjusted his ear trumpet. She shared a Shepard’s pie with her brother and talked about the family.

–Remember doing this when we were little?” Edgar thanked the barman for another silverware set and handed it to her. He took a bite and waved his fork at her. –Are you getting nervous yet? Benjy…”

Amelia suddenly lost her appetite. It made no sense. When she’d first married Benjy, Edgar had downright insisted things would unravel quickly. The two men were always kind to each other, yet they weren’t exactly close friends. She had no idea of Benjy’s life because he focused on the paper and she stayed at the Ministry. Edgar put his second drink on the felt pad and stared blankly at her.

–Did I say something?” he asked.

–You call him Benjamin. You don’t even like him. No, no, don’t deny it,” she said slowly, stopping his interruption in its tracks. –Why would you care? I-I don’t even see him except when I leave for work in the mornings.”

Edgar finished the plate. He said nothing for quite a while; he seemed lost in his own thoughts.

Benjy showed his face around nine o’clock later that night. He could have passed for any other man walking in off the street. He was a burly man with curly hair, large hands, and grey eyes. He wore a knitted blue turtleneck over his ink stained dress pants. He took off his grey chap and requested a strong brandy from the barman. Amelia caught a strong scent of pipe tobacco even before he approached. He rubbed his hands together and started moving them in small, circular motions down her back.

–You’re late,” she said, sighing when he started laughing. –What’s funny?”

–Oh, nothing,” he said, taking a sip of his drink and jerking his head towards Theodore Nott. –I heard some rumor some woman told the poor judge he had no business questioning her about her personal life. If he had any questions, he should direct them towards the editorial in the Evening Prophet. He shall get no answer.”

–You heard about that?” Amelia rolled her eyes when Edgar and Benjy toasted each other. –None of this goes in the paper, you hear me? Not a word.”

–What happened?” Benjy waited to her to spill the goods, and when she held her tongue, he pointed at Elphinestone. –You realize the old man will tell me everything, right? He likes me.”

–Nott tried to buy a seat by paying for it under the table. Her seat.” Edgar drained his glass and rapped his knuckles on the bar for another one. He checked Amelia’s shocked expression. –Oh, Elphinestone didn’t tell you that yet? Never mind. That never happened. You were saying?”

She actually had nothing interesting to tell. Amelia glanced at Elphinestone and debated about whether she should say anything, but he was lost in some conversation with Minerva. She let it go for tonight. The attorneys, especially the experienced ones like Elphinestone and her brother, kept to their little circles. Edgar might be her favorite brother, but Amelia was no stupid woman. She knew he kept his secrets. He’d pulled the slip off conversationally.

–I want to go home,” she said, a little hurt. In any case, Mr. Ogden had quite forgotten her.

–Oh, Amelia, come on! It’s politics.” Edgar waved this away like it hardly mattered, a mere oversight.

–You’ve known about this the whole time? I haven’t slept well in weeks. You were not in that courtroom today to hear that man speak to me. He’s cruel and deceitful. Why is he even here?” Amelia shook her head, trying to keep her emotions in check. Justice Nott raised his glass to her; his cold smile didn’t reach his cold stare. She got to her feet and draped Edgar’s travelling cloak over her shoulders when he offered it to her. –Benjy.”

–She’s a little paranoid,” he said, finishing his drink and shaking hands with Edgar. He waved good night and hurried after his wife. When they arrived home, he turned around and warmed his hands by the fire. –I’m going to tell you something, but I don’t want you to get offended …”

She burst into tears.

–… or do that.” He took her cloak and tossed it over a chair. –What the hell is wrong with you? You’re irrational and you’re worried about man who probably hasn’t said a damn thing to you all evening. Why are you crying?”

She shook her head; she didn’t have the slightest idea. It wouldn’t stop. Benjy helped her get into the bedroom and hung the evening gown in the wardrobe. Amelia slipped her house robe over her silk nightgown before she climbed into the bed. Benjy climbed into bed with a book and a candle. He called her hopeless and probably a list of other things Amelia didn’t catch when she rested her head on his chest, for she’d finally fallen asleep.
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you for reading. Please review.