Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Flitwick Papers by dreamsnape

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This is my entry in the January Challenge-- A New You.
One cold, blustery evening in early November, Professor Filius Flitwick walked alone from Hogwarts Castle to the village of Hogsmeade. Passing by the Three Broomsticks, the pub he usually frequented, he instead went down a small side street to the Hog’s Head. Upon entering the dingy, dimly-lit bar, he greeted the barman, a sullen gray-bearded fellow with whom he was acquainted. He ordered and paid for two glasses of mead, and carried them to a table in the far corner. The only other people in the pub were two elderly witches huddled near the fire. Flitwick perched himself on a chair facing the door and waited.

A few minutes later, another short person entered the pub. Flitwick immediately recognized the low-browed face with its big brown eyes, receding chin and large, oddly blunted nose. A lumpy woolen cap was pulled down over the ears, and a green cloak covered the figure down to the pointy-toed boots. The newcomer looked around, saw Flitwick and approached him. –Filius,” he said with a smile.

–Hullo, Dad,” said Flitwick, smiling back. The two shook hands and the elder Flitwick climbed onto a chair facing his son.

–Good to see you again.”

–It’s good to see you, too, Dad. How are you?”

–Not bad. You?”

–All right. How’s Mum?”

–She’s fine,” said the elder Flitwick, taking the glass his son handed to him. –Cheers,” he said before taking a sip. Glancing around the nearly empty pub, he pulled a couple of sheets of parchment from under his cloak. –Well,” he said, pushing them across the table, –I think I’ve got everything you need here.”

Flitwick took the papers and looked at them closely.

–I heard about a fellow who does this kind of thing,” his father explained, –so I went to him and he did this one for me.” He tapped his long index finger on the topmost sheet. –Then I paid a visit to my former employer. It’s only Madam left now, with Channy looking after her. She seemed glad to see me, even offered me my old job back.” He chuckled. –If I didn’t have your mother, I might be tempted. She was always good to me, you know.”

–You’ve always said so,” said Flitwick, nodding.

–Anyway, I told her that I had come again to ask her to do us another great favor… Well, I only had to say that it was for you, and she was all for it. She signed that”--indicating the second sheet of parchment--–and she agreed to the story we came up with, in case anyone comes around asking. I told her I was most grateful. Great lady, she is. If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t be where I am now.”

–Neither would I,” Flitwick said. –I’ll send her an owl thanking her myself.”

–That would be nice. So, according to this you are officially a full-blooded wizard.”

–It looks like I am,” Flitwick agreed. He tucked the papers into his robes, adding, –Thanks for doing this for me. I’m sorry to put you to so much trouble.”

–No problem,” his father replied. – Anyway, it’s not your fault. It’s that foul lot at the Ministry, with all their pureblood nonsense. They’re all working for You-Know-Who now.”

–I know,” Flitwick said resignedly. –It’s the same here at Hogwarts. Snape’s the headmaster, and he killed Dumbledore. But it’s his two assistants who are the worst, with their barbaric punishments.”

–Why don’t you quit? You could come back home…”

–No, I don’t want to leave the students now. The other teachers and I do what we can to help them.”

–Well, that’s good of you. These are dark times, and no mistake,” said the elder Flitwick, shaking his head. He went on to relate some news from home, of the family and neighbors Flitwick had known since his childhood. When they had drank their mead and decided that it was time to go, they got up and left the pub.

–You know, Dad…” said the Charms professor, –I’ve never been ashamed of you. If things were different, I’d tell everyone that you’re my dad, and the best dad anyone could ask for.”

His father smiled. –Thanks, Filius. I’m very proud of you, too,” he said, embracing his son. –Take care now.”

–You too, Dad. And give my love to Mum.”

His father nodded, then took a step back. He glanced around the dark side street for a moment, which was empty but for the two of them. He looked back at Flitwick and smiled, then with a loud crack, he disappeared.

Flitwick remained, contemplating the spot where his father had stood a second ago. Then, putting up his hood and fastening his cloak securely, he turned and headed back towards Hogwarts Castle.