Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Of Love and Nargles by FluffyNargles

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It's always hard to concentrate when the boy who you've fancied the pants off of happens to be mere feet away from you. And, yes, I happened to have been in that very situation... How nice.

I'd resigned myself to the fate of 'never-being-more-than-friends' when it came to that green-eyed pillock but, even still, I got sweaty palms and blushed like mad whenever he was in the general vicinity. I'm quite a sad excuse for a person, aren't I?

So, yes, there I was, ickle Ginny Weasley, sitting in the Hogwarts library, attempting to concentrate on my Charms homework. But it was basically a lost cause as the afore-mentioned boy meandered his way to the same table that I was sitting at.

"Hey, Ginny," he said in a depressing voice. Well, I would probably be the same way if I was entered into competing in a highly dangerous and obscure tournament against my will.

I looked up to see Harry Potter (The-Boy-Who-Lived, The-Boy-Who-Saved-Me-From-Imminent-Death, and now, Tri-Wizard competitor. Yeah, that Harry Potter) looking at me, his green eyes tired behind his round glasses.

"Oh, um..." And cue the blushing! "Hiya, Harry."

Curse my stupid Weasley genes. I never get a break, do I?

But Harry - always so sweet! - politely ignored the fact that I was slowly turning into an over-ripe tomato. "Can I join you?"

I nodded, and then ducked my head, hoping to hide the blush. "Sure thing, Harry," I said - quite pathetically, in my opinion.

I had come a long way, I think. Or at least that's what Hermione tells me. I mean, in my first year, I didn't even speak in front of Harry until I woke up in the Chamber. And second year, I managed to get to the "Hullo Harry," stage. But just look at me! Thirteen and able to have a full conversation with minimal blushing! I'm amazing (that was said with sarcasm, if you didn't notice).

Harry proceeded to dump his books onto the table and get a roll of parchment and a quill ready for use. We worked in silence for a few minutes - well, he did, and I pretended to, anyway - until Harry cleared his throat. "So, erm... How're things?"

I bit back a squeak of surprise that he was actually engaging me in a conversation. "Oh! Um, okay, I guess... But, how about you? I mean, you're the one who's being thrust into this horrible competition - which, by the way, I think is so bloody unfair. And those badges! I swear, one more comment, and I'm going to punch Malfoy in his bullocks, the stupid ferret... H-how's your, um... Egg?" I blushed brighter than ever, my rambling speech coming to a pitiful end, complete with stuttering.

Why must I be such an idiot?

Harry stared at me, probably surprised. I mean, I had only ever spoken in short, clipped, one-word sentences around him. Those had to have been the longest - and completely ridiculous - sentences I had ever uttered in his presence.

Dear Merlin,
Must you be so cruel? Do think you could succeed in making this anymore awkward?
Your favorite victim,
Ginny Weasley


Just as I was preparing myself to make a run for it, as Harry had been silent and unblinking for much too long to be considered normal (even given our situation), he burst into loud laughter. People stared and I looked on in complete horror.

Dearest Ginny,
No problem! And, I am definitely not cruel... I just like to laugh at your misfortune. Shall I continue?
Sincerely,
Merlin


Harry was still laughing, shaking in complete mirth. A part of me felt good that I had made him laugh, but another part (the more intelligent part, obviously) just about died of embarrassment.

Dear Merlin,
I hate you. And, as for an answer to your question - NO!
Loving You In A Similar Manner To Which Ron Loves Spiders,
Ginny Weasley


Harry finally stopped laughing and gave me a strange look. "I think that was the first time you've actually spoken to me!" He chuckled and then punched me lightly on the shoulder.

HE.

TOUCHED.

ME.

Cue hysterical screaming.

"Y'know, Ron told me once that you never shut up. I think I just had my first dose of the real Ginny."

My face felt very hot, but I managed to get a smile on my face. "Uh... He-he-he..." I giggled nervously. "Um, yeah..."

We settled into a silence once again but, surprisingly, it wasn't awkward at all. Well, okay, maybe just a bit.

I looked down at my Charms essay and picked my quill back up. "Oh, bloody hell..." I muttered. I pretended to scribble a few words, but then Harry decided to speak again.

"Um, Ginny," he started awkwardly. I kept my eyes on my parchment.

... Pronunciation is the key to...

"Yes?"

...Performing a charm correctly...

"About the Yule Ball..."

I sucked in a sharp breath and looked up, dropping my quill. "Huh?" I said blankly, my eyes wide and unblinking.

This could not be happening... There's no way... That this would ever happen...

I think I was hyperventilating...

"Do... Do you happen to - Um, erm..." Harry was clearly uncomfortable.

I tried not to get too worked up. "Harry, just say it..." I prompted, looking at him with my eyebrows raised.

I'm such a great actress.

"Okay... Um, d-do you know if Cho C-Chang has a date for the ball?"

My heart stopped beating, I swear. And then it dropped to the floor in a pathetic heap.

"Cho Chang?" I asked, feeling very stupid. Of course he wasn't going to ask me! Why would he? I'm just Ron's little sister - no one special!

Harry nodded, looking very anxious. "Have you heard anything? I mean, girls talk about things like this, right? Gossiping and all that..." He blushed and shrugged his shoulders, clearly embarrassed, but still looked very hopeful - and, damn it, cute.

"Um..." I said. Very eloquent, if I do say so myself... "I don't know, Harry. I'm sorry, but I really have no idea." It was the truth. I hadn't heard anything about bloody Cho Chang.

Harry looked disappointed. "Oh... That's... That's..." He sighed and rubbed his face. "Okay." He slumped back in his chair and pouted, something which I felt was very irritating and (sort of) endearing.

"Oh, in the name of Merlin's saggy Y-fronts, Harry!" I yelled, my face turning red, this time in anger. "If you want to ask her," I continued, standing up and gathering my things together. "THEN JUST BLOODY DO IT!"

I then stormed out of the library, trying to stop the angry tears from forming in my eyes, leaving Harry staring after me, gaping like a (very attractive) fish.

I'm sure that it would have been a spectacular dramatic exit - if I hadn't tripped and sprawled out on the floor about five paces away from the door.

My Sweet And Dreadfully Naive Ginny,
You should know by now not to ever doubt me. I always get the last say in these types of things!
Yours Truly,
Merlin

P.S. I'm very sorry to inform you that I do not own a pair of saggy Y-fronts, dear child... The things children come up with these days!
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks so much for reading! The next chapter should be up soon! I'd love to have some feedback! So please leave a review!
Thanks Again,
Ella:D