Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Lily's first day on the train ride to Hogwarts.
It was a beautiful day. The birds were happily chirping, the sun was shining and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. It was a rather warm day for the first of September. The warmth had decided to stay a while longer putting everyone in a good mood. All but one, that is.

A small girl of only eleven years felt very lonely. Lily Evans sat on the Hogwarts Express all by herself, still taking it all in.

A few months ago she had received a letter that changed her life. Lily wasn’t a normal girl as she had thought. She knew her red hair and freckles made her stand out, but this was nothing in comparison; Lily was a witch. At first she was confused. What did this letter mean that she was a witch? Surely they couldn’t exist, but here was this letter telling her otherwise. Witches were usually those ugly women with hunchbacks, stringy hair, and a wart on the side of their nose. Was she to become one of them?

After the initial shock wore off she realized it may not be that bad. She could do magic, or at least would learn to. That’s what this Hogwarts place was for. This would be where she would meet others like her; fellow witches and wizards that would be her friends.

During the summer, Lily prepared for Hogwarts. She went to Diagon Alley to get her wand, robes, books, and potion supplies. She even spotted a few kids her age with similar items. She just knew she would enjoy her time at Hogwarts. She spent her time daydreaming and imagining what classes would be like, the friends she’d make. The first of September wasn’t coming quick enough.

Now, on this day of days, the day she dreamt of, she was found all by herself, without a friend in the world. She could hear the other kids laughing, having a good time, and she longed to go over. Something prevented her: fear.

Lily was afraid; afraid that no one would like her; afraid that it must have been a mistake. She would surely be sent back alone without having met anyone, friendless.

Lily was on the verge of tears when her compartment door slid open. A girl with long brown hair, beautiful brown eyes to match, and a friendly face peeped in.

–Hi,” the girl said cheerfully as she closed the door and sat down.

–Hi,” Lily replied.

–Do you mind if I sit here? My friend is being a jerk right now, and everywhere else seems to be full.”

–Not at all,” answered Lily, wondering who this girl was.

–My name’s Julianna,” the girl said. –What’s yours?”

–Nice to meet you, Julianna. My name is Lily Evans.”

–Hi Lily. Are you a first year as well?”

–Yes, this is my first time here with any of this. I didn’t know any of this magic business existed until my letter,” replied Lily.

–Oh, you must be Muggleborn.” At Lily’s quizzical look she added, –Your parents are non-magical.”

Lily didn’t know what to make of Julianna. It seemed she knew everything, but she was quite casual about the whole thing. Apparently not everyone was Muggleborn as she was.

There was a moment of silence as Lily digested what Julianna had said. Julianna just sat there, glad to be making a new friend.

–So what house do you hope to be in?” asked Julianna.

–House?” questioned a confused Lily.

–Oh, right,” Julianna remembered. –Well, every year all the first years have to be sorted into one of four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. I hope to be in Gryffindor like my mum and dad. My eldest brother Joe is in Gryffindor too, Year 6, but Troy’s a Year 4 Ravenclaw.”

–How many brothers do you have?” asked Lily in awe. She only had a sister, and presently they weren’t on good terms.

–Brothers? I have three. Joe is the oldest and he’s five years older. Then there’s Troy who’s three years older. Then Will two years younger. I’m the only girl apart from mum, but I don’t mind. I love them to death. I’m sure you’ll love them too when you see them. Dad made sure I’ll see them often enough.”

–I’d love to meet them,” said Lily. She was becoming quite fond of Julianna. Such an unusual name, but it fit her nicely.

–Do you want to see them now?” Julianna asked excitedly. –They could show you a little magic while they’re here.” And with that Julianna left in search of her brothers leaving Lily just as excited as her friend. Yes, she was definitely a friend.

As Lily sat there waiting for Julianna, she wondered how the sorting was done. Were there captains who picked their house members like at school? Maybe you had to complete a challenge and be sorted that way. All she hoped was the she would be sorted into Gryffindor with her new friend. Then suddenly the door slid open. Lily looked to the door to find two cute boys looking at her. One was rather tall and slender with beautiful black hair and silvery grey eyes. The other boy was also rather tall and slender, but not quite as tall as the first boy. His hazel eyes looked right into her emerald green eyes through a pair of glasses.

–Hello,” said the first boy. –My name is Sirius.”

–Hi,” said Lily as she wondered why they were there. –I’m Lily Evans.”

–Well, Lily Evans, I believe today is your lucky day,” said the second boy.

–Why is that,” wondered Lily.

–I believe you and I will be busy Friday night getting better acquainted. How about it, sweetie?” he answered.

At this Lily began to blush. She didn’t know whether to be flattered or furious. After all, he was being very forward to a complete stranger. She didn’t even know his name.

–Oh look, she blushing, Sirius. Looks like she hasn’t done this before. Double bonus for Miss Lily.”

Now she was upset. They were clearly making fun of her now. She may be Muggleborn, but she did know how to take care of herself.

–I don’t appreciate that tone of voice with me. I’ll have you know that there are plenty of boys back home who fancy me and it’s nothing new,” said Lily, her voice starting to rise as she stood up. –And don’t call me Miss Lily.”

Sirius looked amused at his friend as he stood there thinking, Man, he’s smitten. Now she’s in for it .

–Well then, Evans, be sure to call me if you change your mind about Friday night. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot of each other.” And with that, the two of them left Lily in the compartment.

–I hope those two turn into toads,” she mumbled to herself. –They can rot in their slime together.” A few minutes later Julianna walked in looking slightly disappointed.

–Joe said that we’re almost there and couldn’t come, but he still wants to meet you. Maybe at dinner he will,” she said, cheering up a bit. –What’s wrong? You look like you’ve run into Peeves!”

–What in the world is a Peeves?” Lily said.

–Peeves is a prankster Poltergeist that torments students and gives the teachers no end of grief,” Julianna answered. –He apparently listens to nobody but the Bloody Baron, or so Joe tells me. I’ve never met either of them, but I’m sure Joe can’t be wrong. Why would he be?”

–You must be really close to your brothers,” observed Lily.

–I am, but Joe is my favourite. We do everything together,” she said.

–So we’re almost there?” Lily asked, getting a bit excited.

–Yeah. I guess we should change into our robes,” Julianna concluded.

As the Hogwarts Express neared Hogsmeade Station, the two girls talked as they got ready. They discussed their excitement about the day before Lily brought up the encounter with the boys.

–Did they really give you that much trouble? My neighbour is coming for their first year too, but it’s never been like that. I didn’t think boys could be so rude or forward with a stranger. I’m glad my friend isn’t like that,” Julianna said.

–Well I thought they just wanted to meet more first years at first, but I guess that’s not what they had in mind,” said Lily. –He didn’t even tell me his name.”

–We’re here,” Julianna said excitedly. And with all thoughts of that boy forgotten, Lily walked off the train with her new friend Julianna.
Chapter Endnotes: I know Snape is supposed to be in here, but for my purposes I decided that they didn't know each other before school and it was completely new for Lily. However, he will kind of be there as her friend before the whole fifth-year thing.
This is the first time I've written anything, so any feedback would be great!