Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Lily spends the holiday with Julianna and is forced to attend the Potters' New Year's party. How will she deal with an evening with James in his own house?
--------

–They haven’t got a chance this year - not with the way their Keeper’s been doing,” said James.

–I’m telling you, as long as their Beaters and Chasers do their job and keep the Quaffle away, he won’t have to worry,” Julianna rebuffed, brandishing a peeler at him.

They were both in the Potter’s kitchen helping James’ mum cook the Christmas dinner the two families were having that night. As it was Christmas Eve, there was a lot to do to prepare for tomorrow in addition to the cooking. Mrs Potter loved to cook, that’s why they never bothered with a house elf, but she was glad to have the extra hands to help peel and cut the carrots and potatoes.

James and Julianna continued to discuss Quidditch while they did the carrots and potatoes. At some point during this time the doorbell rang. They heard Mr Potter go get it, everyone assuming it was more carollers. But when Mr Potter came into the kitchen, it was with Sirius following behind him.

–James said you wouldn’t be arriving for another three days,” said Mrs Potter as she rushed to get his things.

–Not that we aren’t pleased to see you,” Mr Potter added hastily.

–I’m sorry, I didn’t know what to do and I had nowhere else to go,” Sirius began. He looked a little forlorn as he explained, –It was my mother - you know what she’s like. Well she thought it was time to tell me again what a disappointment to the family I am. We rowed, and I couldn’t take it any longer so I packed my things and left.”

–It’s about time,” said James practically. –You can stay with us.”

Sirius looked hopefully at James’ parents. His mum then said with a smile, –Of course you can, dear.”

–We’ve kept that room across from James just for you when you come visit him. It’s about time you make it your own,” Mr Potter replied.

–You’ll make a smashing neighbour,” said Julianna cheerfully. –Here, pull up a chair and join us. I’m sure there’s an extra peeler somewhere.”

And just like that, Sirius was welcomed in. At supper that evening, he felt like one of the family. When the topic came up about his departure, Sirius could barely believe it was the same day. But he went into more detail, now relieved he had a place to stay.

–What did Orion have to say about you leaving? Or did he let Walburga do all the talking as usual?” asked Julianna’s mother.

–No, he didn’t say much. But how would you know?” Sirius asked, confused.

–Who are we talking about?”

–Are those your parents’ names?”

–How do you know their names?”

–Have you met the Blacks before?”

Questions were being asked at random. In the end, they were more interested in the answers Mrs Foschi had to give. Once the questioning had stopped, everyone looked at her expectantly.

–Well, I never thought I’d have to say this again . . . There’s a reason you guys have never heard me talk about my childhood or met my parents,” she began. Her family in particular were paying close attention.

–What are you trying to say, mum?” asked Joe, Julianna’s eldest brother.

–That I am Sirius’ aunt.”

–What?!”

–You heard me correctly. I am his father’s younger sister. We grew up together, but while at Hogwarts I started dating a fellow Gryffindor who was a Muggle-born - your father. Well, naturally they didn’t approve. It was bad enough when I was sorted into Gryffindor. Anyway, when I announced our engagement I was turned out. I expect that I was blasted off that ridiculous tree too. They haven’t contacted me, and by the sounds of it even mention me, since I left.”

–Why haven’t you told us this before?” Troy asked.

–It didn’t seem necessary,” Mrs Foschi answered with a shrug.

–Not even to me?” asked Sirius.

–If I thought you needed somewhere to go, our home would have been open, but the Potters have been kind and you seemed happy here with them.”

–So we have a cousin here?” asked Will. This was a lot to process.

–I’m afraid you have many more than you think,” Sirius answered. –We Blacks have kept with only pure bloods so now we’re all related somehow. Disgusting, really.”

–Well, then, now you get to spend some time with some decent family members for a change,” Julianna said brightly. –Now that I come to think of it, we do look a little similar.”

–Yeah, smoking hot,” said Sirius with relish. He looked at his new-found aunt and asked, –What should I call you?”

–Technically my name is Ursa,” she answered.

–Well there you are. If I’d know your name it would’ve been a dead giveaway we’re related,” Sirius remarked matter-of-factly.

–Greg thought it was Ursella for the longest time, but now he just calls me Ella.”

–Aunt Ella . . . Aunt Ursa . . . Auntie Ursie . . . I’ll think of something,” Sirius decided.

–Well I think they should be properly acquainted now,” James said. –Sirius, meet your aunt and her family. Family, meet your cousin-slash-nephew, Sirius.”

–Jolly good to meet you,” Joe joked, shaking Sirius’ hand.

–What’re you shaking his hand for?” cried Will. –He’s family, and you know what we do when we meet our family.” Then the Foschi children rushed to Sirius and buried him in a pile on the ground.

–We’re terribly sorry about this,” Mrs Foschi said apologetically to James’ parents and looking at the pile on the floor.

–Don’t be. We’re glad he has someone he can be proud of in his immediate family,” Mrs Potter replied.

For the rest of the evening, the two families continued their celebrating, making Sirius more welcome than he had ever felt with his own family.

* * *

–So you and Black are related,” Lily asked in disbelief. Julianna had filled her in when she had arrived a few days after this revelation. Hardly an hour had gone by when she wasn’t with James and Sirius, but now that Lily was here Julianna opted out.

–I know, right?” she replied.

Lily was staying with Julianna in her room on the spare bed there. While the guest room was available, it had been deemed the best idea to keep them together. She was pleased by this decision having heard of Julianna’s brothers’ reputation.

Sitting on her bed, Lily looked around curiously at Julianna’s bedroom. It was quite large for it to comfortably fit two beds, a wardrobe, a dressing table, a bookshelf, a small fireplace, and two armchairs by the fire. Julianna had decided on nice, wooden furniture and cream-coloured walls which made everything look lighter.

–Everything is cream and . . . milk chocolate,” said Lily, unsure how else to describe the colours.

–My mum suggested it so I could change the other colours as the mood strikes me,” Julianna explained. –That’s why the bed sheets are red. I also have blue, green, and purple.”

–You do like to have choices,” Lily reflected.

After a short pause, Julianna said, –We need to talk, and I think you know what it’s about.”

–I know,” said Lily, looking guilty and bracing herself.

–During Slughorn’s party, Matt noticed how uninterested you seemed in Gethin. The funny thing is that he doesn’t feel as lukewarm as you do.”

–It’s a mess, isn’t it.” She said it as a statement, not a question.

–What are you going to do about it?”

–I don’t know,” said Lily, throwing up her arms. –I’m miserable, so I should break it off, right? Well then that could hurt his feelings causing him to not want to talk to me and make our classes together very awkward.”

–Lily, if you didn’t want to break anyone’s heart, you should have become a nun.”

–But I don’t want to be alone forever.”

–Then you’ll have to break some hearts, or -”

–Or you could do it for me . . .”

–Or I could do nothing of the sort, you could take this as a learning experience, and wait for Mr Right.”

–Not everyone finds Mr Right first thing like you, Julie.”

–First of all, Matt it not Mr Right. And second, I’ve dated several people before and happily broke it off. Not to mention we’re still friends, all of them.”

–Mm-hmm,” said Lily, unconvinced.

–Well, Matt thinks you should drop him, and he says the sooner the better before it gets too serious.”

–I’ll figure it out sooner or later,” Lily said, brushing off the subject for later. –In the meantime, what do we have planned?”

–Well, I know you love baking, so we could help Mrs Potter -”

–I’m not going over there,” Lily said with finality. This was supposed to be a holiday, not a time of terror.

–We’ll have to eventually because we’ve been invited to spend New Year’s Eve with them. Our families always do, and this year you’ve been invited.”

–But I didn’t know, and I wouldn’t have accepted even if I did.”

–Since it would be rude not to go when you’re already here, the matter is settled. Anyway, she needs some baking help, not our presence. We can do it here and bring it over that night,” replied Julianna, trying to compromise.

Rather begrudgingly Lily accepted. She wouldn’t be rude unnecessarily to someone she’d never met, even if they were related to Potter. As long as she could stretch their inevitable encounter, she supposed she would suffer through baking for them. And really, it would only be for one night.

–Cheer up, we don’t have to hand over absolutely everything,” said Julianna. –I’m sure my brothers would appreciate eating them early just as much as they would on that night.”

And they were. The two baked so much that it seemed their meals comprised of mainly cookies and squares. Julianna’s brothers had polished off the first batch of gingerbread becoming lethargic and causing them to bake another batch. Lily had enjoyed the baking so much that Gethin had been pushed out of her mind again as well as cause her to forget the reason they were baking in the first place. It wasn’t until the afternoon of New Year’s Eve that it dawned on her.

–Wait a minute, we have to go to that party at Potter’s house tonight, don’t we,” said Lily. She and Julianna were putting the leftover baking in tins after arranging what they would be bringing nicely on some platters.

–That’s why we’re doing this,” said Julianna. –I don’t think you should call him ‘Potter’ either - there are three of them that live there.”

–Which is why his parents are Mister and Misses, and he gets nothing.”

–Yeah, but his mum will think something’s up. You don’t know her like I do. She’ll interpret your loathing as completely the opposite.”

–But why? That doesn’t make any sense.”

–Because that’s how she used to treat Jay’s dad and now they’re happily married.”

–Like I’d ever marry Potter and have kids with him. The thought is sickening enough,” said Lily, shuddering in disgust. Suffering through one night near him was bad enough, she couldn’t imagine an entire lifetime with him.

–Well for tonight, ‘James’ will have to do. And while we’re on the subject, what’ll you be wearing?”

–Can’t I just wear this? We’re just going next door,” Lily asked, looking down at her attire.

–Even I think that’s a bad idea. They tend to have a sort of before party where they invite people over for dinner, dessert, tea or coffee, and a little mingling. Eventually they all leave to the place they’ll each be spending to ring in the New Year.”

–I still don’t -”

–There’ll be a dinner, Lil, with guests. Even I know I have to wear a dress.”

–Like Slughorn’s party, then,” Lily said to confirm.

–Exactly.” Finally Lily understood.

–Well then it’s a good thing mum bought me a new dress for Christmas.”

They had finished putting the baking in the tins by now. The rest of the afternoon was theirs until the Potters’ party. It was during this time that Julianna brought up the Gethin problem again. Short of sending him an owl, though, Lily couldn’t see a way out. They talked the subject to death before realizing that time was getting away from them and the party was fast approaching.

–So which one should I wear?” Julianna asked, opening her wardrobe to reveal dresses.

–You have more?” Lily couldn’t believe it.

–Mum wanted a girl so she could dress her up. Since I’m all she had in that department, that burden is mine. She has a special place in her heart for dresses, I think. The Potters host several of these types of party, so at least she doesn’t have to be worried about a Doxy infestation here.”

Getting ready didn’t take nearly as long without Amanda fussing about. With matters such as this, everything had to be just right with her and nothing but would suffice. Appearance meant a lot, and perfection was crucial to Amanda.

Lily accompanied the Foschis over to the neighbour’s. It was a strange feeling for her because while she knew she was walking straight into the enemy’s lair, there was still a bit of intrigue. What was his home like? What were his parents like? How could any parent love a child who is that arrogant? Did they even know? Would she have to be the one to tell them? What was she getting herself into?

–Cheer up,” said Joe. –You look like death.”

Just like with Julianna, Joe was her favourite. She also knew that this was not a direct insult but something to help. She smiled at his comment.

–Hello family!” It was Sirius who opened the door. He was wearing deep red dress robes and was grinning from ear to ear.

–Now is not the time for a pile up,” warned Mr Foschi, seeing that his children were thinking about it.

–Then he’ll have to settle for a big ol’ kiss,” said Julianna and she planted a wet one on his cheek.

–Aw, come on, Jewel. Not lipstick?”

–Let them in, Padfoot. It’s freezing out,” said James, appearing behind Sirius’ shoulder.

–They’re family, they’ll get over it.”

–Don’t push you luck,” said Troy through chattering teeth.

–Come in Mr and Mrs F. Sirius has lost his senses because his girlfriend said she’d be able to make it out for tonight,” James explained.

–Ooh, Amanda’s coming?” Lily asked excitedly. She’d forgotten who she was talking to and forgot to be ruder.

–Yeah,” James answered her looking confused, but smiling nonetheless. –Mum’s in the kitchen, you can take the dessert to her there.”

–Please don’t embarrass us tonight,” said Julianna after her brothers and parents had moved to the kitchen.

–Who?” Lily asked. They had already spoken about her ‘Potter’ thing and had to admit she was doing brilliantly at the moment.

–Sirius, Amanda and their whale,” replied James. –No sucky face,” he told Sirius, his finger pointed at him.

Sirius pointed at himself trying to give an innocent ‘Who, me?’ look.

–Feigning innocence isn’t flattering, Black,” Lily told him.

–Yeah, but it’s funny,” commented James.

–I have been informed that this is your house and I am a guest, so I have agreed that we shall be civil with each other for tonight. Agreed?” Lily held out her hand and waited for James to shake it.

–Well I can try, but I’m not making any promises,” said James, taking her hand.

–How formal of you. Would you like that in writing,” said Julianna sarcastically.

–Shall we get drinks, milady?” Sirius asked Julianna pompously and offering her his arm.

–Why yes, dear sir. Lead the way,” she answered, adopting his snobbish tone.

James noticed the look on Lily’s face, daring him, but instead he said, –Do you want to join them?”

Lily was about to refuse in a rather rude way, but remembered Julianna. Taking his arm as well, she sighed, –Why not.”

It was a rather awkward walk to the drinks. She was trying to keep her distance from him, but such an intimate embrace made that difficult. They were also silent as neither of them wanted to break their agreement, but didn’t know what to say without being rude or arrogant.

While drinking some pumpkin juice, the four nibbled on appetizers while people started to arrive. They knew who some of the people were, but weren’t well acquainted with them. However, there were two people whom the four did know, one being Amanda and the other being Matt.

–You never told me you were coming,” Julianna told him, shoving him lightly.

In response, James said, –Amanda was coming and that took care of Sirius. I was pretty sure . . . Lily . . . didn’t want Gethin, which logically meant that Jules had to have Matt here. I figured she could suffer with me for the night. Am I right?”

–Bugger,” said Julianna, shoving Matt again. –You still could have told me.”

–Your surprised expressions are always so amusing, I couldn’t resist,” Matt shrugged.

–Impossible,” she sighed, but she was pleased to have his company anyway.

After supper, they all went to the kitchen, the drawing room being room crowded. Sirius and Amanda were going to great lengths not to begin snogging. Matt and Julianna were happily eating some of the cookies and squares she and Lily had made. James’ and Lily’s silence was one of a different kind. They were still trying to be civil, but somehow that seemed to equate with silence.

–There you are,” said Mrs Potter. –We’ve been looking for you. Everyone loves the baking, but it’s going quickly. Did you girls happen to have extra, and would you mind bringing it over? No, we don’t need too much. I expect some people will be leaving soon, but we can’t let them leave on an empty stomach!”

–Mum, we just had dinner. I don’t think anyone’s hungry.”

–Sure thing Mrs Potter. Lily and I will be right back,” replied Julianna.

–You are dears,” said Mrs Potter in thanks.

–Need any help?” Matt offered.

–They’re in tins, but we may need help with the doors,” Julianna answered.

–Then I’ll come with you three,” James said. Lily stiffened, but bit her tongue and said nothing.

It was a lucky thing that all four had gone because the tins didn’t want to stack nicely which meant they each had to carry something.

–So Lily, you baked all this,” James said, taking a stab at civilized conversation on their return trip.

–Plus whatever Julianna’s family ate already. And I had her help with the lot,” replied Lily. There, she could be civil if she wanted to.

–They’re surprisingly good,” he said honestly.

–Meaning . . .”

–Meaning that I didn’t know you could bake so well - mum prefers to cook,” he said smoothly. He didn’t want to give her the wrong impression. They were doing too well at being civil, he didn’t want to break that now.

–Oh, for the love of . . .” Julianna was the first one inside the Potter’s kitchen and was therefore the first to catch sight of Sirius and Amanda at it again.

–Whale sighting,” called James before he could catch himself.

–Lily, how about we go replenish the platters,” Julianna said hastily, half pushing her back out the kitchen door before she could reply.

When they returned, Lily was breathing heavily but was still in control. James just looked guilty and apologetic for his little slip. Julianna looked at Matt who matched her we-need-to-fix-this look. Without being able to converse out loud, though, any planning was paused. But they had to act quickly or there would be no way Lily would last until midnight.

–Why don’t we join the others in the drawing room? There should be enough room for us by now,” Matt said. It was the first thing he could think of.

They all went into the drawing room where someone had turned on the radio in an attempt to begin dancing. There were a few who had risen to the challenge, laughing at the failed attempts.

–You must see our daughter do it, she’s a natural,” a man said.

–Uh-oh,” said Julianna. It was her father speaking.

–There she is. Sweet pea, come over here. I want you to show the Longbottoms how to waltz. They said they’re just dying to learn.” He was beckoning her over with a proud look on his face.

–If I go down, you’re going down with me,” she whispered to her friends before her father dragged her away.

–Just the basics for now, Anna,” Mr Foschi told his daughter, –don’t want to confuse them.”

–Daddy, nobody waltzes anymore,” she tried to tell him.

–Nonsense.”

–Well then why don’t we get everyone up and learn.” She eyed her friends and was satisfied at their looks of terror.

–Don’t worry, it’ll be easy.” So Mr Foschi began to explain the steps while he and Julianna demonstrated. Of course his parents, her grandparents, had been sure to teach all the children how to dance without embarrassing themselves.

–You never know when you’ll be asked to waltz,” Julianna’s nonno had told them and looking very serious about the matter.

They showed the group an expertly danced waltz to show what the end product was like. Once Mr Foschi was satisfied with Julianna’s performance, he let everyone try at a slower tempo, now using recordings of various waltzes. She was off the hook and went back over to Matt.

–Not a word,” she told him before they began dancing.

Lily was a bit skeptical. Last time she had danced it had been with Gethin - a whole other can of worms. Now she was faced with the prospect of Potter as a dance partner. No, it was James - James was her partner. She still couldn’t forget his winks at their last party.

–Have you ever waltzed before?” asked James.

Lily shook her head.

–Don’t worry - I have and it isn’t terribly difficult unless you have two left feet.”

–Like Sirius?” she asked, glancing toward him and Amanda.

–I think he has four left feet,” remarked James. He offered her his hand and they awkwardly tried to waltz. James was a good as he said because he had learnt from Julianna when their grandparents were visiting. Lily, on the other hand, kept her head down to watch her feet and make sure they were doing the right thing. Conveniently, it also meant that she didn’t have to look Potter in the eye.

–Just feel what you’re doing, don’t look or think about it,” he offered.

–If I don’t look, Pott - I mean, James - then how do you expect me to catch my mistakes?” She felt rather vulnerable at the moment being unable to grasp the waltz, especially while her partner was so good and happened to be a git.

–Okay, close your eyes . . . don’t worry, I’m not going to do anything. Look, Jules is next to us, she can vouch for you - now close them . . . right, follow my lead, but don’t peek.”

James guided her around the room with everyone else. It wasn’t perfect, but it was much better than their earlier failed attempts.

The waltz practice continued into the night. When the guests had started to get the hang of it, they tried swapping partners. Eventually, one by one, the guests took their leave as usual, and the Potters, Foschis, and a few friends were left.

James wanted to do a song with Julianna to show off how good they were, so Lily and Matt partnered for a song. She was a little intimidated by him sometimes because he could be so quiet, but he was good-natured and danced well.

–They’re quite good, aren’t they,” noted Matt.

–I think he’s rather good at showing off,” she said. Hopefully he wouldn’t tell Julianna about it.

When that song had ended, she was taken by Sirius. Julianna, deciding to be funny, took Amanda. As Mrs Potter and Mrs Foschi were already occupied with Joe and Will, James took Julianna’s lead and took Matt.

As the night wore on, everyone was tired from dancing and went to do their own thing. The parents talked as they were usually wont to do. Joe had sat down with his girlfriend, Katherine, in the corner where they watched Will play wizard’s chess with Troy. The remaining six sat around in silence, not doing anything.

–Well I enjoyed that,” Sirius stated. –We have to get Slughorn to arrange something like that. I’d love to see Snivelly’s attempts to be graceful.”

James wisely didn’t comment. He could see Lily daring him to, but he resisted to urge. Instead, he replied, –It’s a thought.”

–Oh yes,” Amanda said with wonder. –It would be so romantic. Ooh, he could do it on Valentine’s Day. It can’t be one of those masquerades, they’re so overdone right now - though I would like to go to one. No, he could make it a black and while ball where you can only wear black or white and only do ballroom dancing. And we could have Julianna teach us beforehand!”

At this last comment, Julianna choked on her spiced pumpkin juice and started coughing. Matt thumped her back as she tried shaking her head vigorously, trying to indicate she didn’t agree.

Julianna excused herself to the kitchen for a glass of water. When she had recovered, she noticed Mrs Potter filling a platter with a few more baked goods.

–Would you like any help with that?” she offered.

–Sure . . . You girls did a fine job on the cookies.”

–Thank Lily for that, she’s the baker. I prefer to cook, but you knew that.”

–She seems nice, Lily.”

–She is.”

–Same with Matt. Have you been together long?”

–How did -” Julianna started.

–I’m a mother, Julianna, and I’ve known you since you were in diapers with James. Just like I can tell how James in infatuated with Lily.”

–Well that much is obvious to everyone but her.”

–And that she’ll come around to him.”

–No offense, but she thinks your son is a waste of space.”

–Mm . . . Well, be that as it may, I know that Matt thinks you’re pretty special. So, how long?”

–Someone’s on a mission,” joked Julianna. –Well if you must know, we met because of Quidditch - he’s the Keeper for Ravenclaw. He asked me out in third year, but nothing really happened. Then this year on the train, he tracked me down, I’m sure of it, and dared me into a date. We’ve been together ever since then.”

–Four months is a long time,” noted Mrs Potter.

–Not really.”

–He thinks highly of you,” Mrs Potter pushed on.

–Both Jay and Lily seem to think I have total respect and acceptance of him.” Maybe an adult perspective could shed some light on her confusion.

–Do you?”

–I don’t know, I suppose I do. It’s not hard.”

–That’s saying a lot,” Mrs Potter said seriously. She didn’t have any daughters of her own, but Julianna was always special to her.

–That’s what they said,” mumbled Julianna.

–And?”

–And what?”

–How deep is it?”

–I’m only fifteen!”

–And after this year, you’re two years away from leaving Hogwarts.”

–But it’s only been four months!”

–Were they a waste?”

–No, but -”

–Were they awkward?”

–No, but -”

–Did you nauseate people?”

–No, but -”

–Then what’s the problem? Come on, by now you will have already considered him as more than a boyfriend. All girls look at boys and consider whether or not they’re husband material. Yes, Julianna, even you, even if you won’t admit it.

–You accept all of who he is and respect him in spite of it. You enjoy his company and expect nothing in return.”

–You sound like Jay,” commented Julianna.

Ignoring that comment, Mrs Potter continued, –I don’t mean to be so serious, but with times like these I would appreciate what you have and make the most of it.”

–I really do.”

–Then think about the very real possibility of a future with that boy. He may be worth it in the end,” Mrs Potter concluded. The platter had been filled a while ago, so she picked it up and left Julianna in the kitchen with her empty glass of water.

Julianna remained rooted to the spot thinking. A short while later, Matt came in wondering if she was alright.

–Don’t worry,” he said with a grin, –I think we’ve persuaded Amanda out of you giving dance lessons . . . Are you sure you’re alright?”

Nodding, Julianna said, –People just like having deep conversations.”

–You’re sure?”

–Positive.”

Matt reached for her hands and said, –Remember that if you need to talk -”

–People will listen. I know, I’m just -”

–Rubbish at feelings.”

–We’re not a waste of time, are we?” Julianna asked suddenly, holding on to Matt’s hands a little more.

–I don’t think so.”

–We’re not awkward or nauseate people, right?”

–No, but I don’t -”

–And we respect each other, right?”

–Julianna. If I haven’t been clear with you, then know that I care a lot about you. You’ve always been very special to me and I don’t think you’ll be able to change that.” He had now wrapped her in a hug.

–I know,” she said, burying her face into his shoulder and holding on tighter.

–Then what’s this about?”

–I’m only fifteen!”

–And I’m only sixteen.”

–Well that’s just it - how can we be so sure about things when we’re so young?”

–Is that what’s bothering you? Because I’m just as confused as you are.”

–So do the two confusions cancel each other out?”

Matt was silent as the two stood there in their embrace. It was several minutes before he decided on what to say, and he never felt so sure and afraid at the same time.

–I don’t know what girls are like, but guys think about girls all the time. We look at them, we compare them, we fight over them, we brag about them. A lot of what we do is motivated by that and it’s no different with me.”

Julianna had turned to look at him, finding his eyes and the serious look he was giving her in return.

–I think about girls, compare them and everything. But do you know what . . . I like the one I have. She’s the one I always think about and look for. I’m always comparing her to others and find faults in them, not her. I like that my girl doesn’t just let me win, but fights back. I love how loyal to her best friend she is. I love how she loves a good time and to have fun. I don’t care that she’s competitive or plays Quidditch - it means I have someone to compete against. I don’t care that she doesn’t like dresses or doesn’t care to be girly - it means she isn’t vain.”

Matt cupped her face gently with one hand as he continued, –But I think that despite all that, she’s pretty anyway with all her passion. She lets who she is shine through and into her personality and that is what makes her beautiful to me.”

Julianna touched the hand on her cheek as she responded, –And I like how you think something as clear as that is confusing.”

Before Matt could respond, Julianna gave him a quick kiss, then motioned they should join the others.

–Do you know yet?” a voice asked as they neared the room.

–No, we want it to be a surprise,” answered Mr Foschi. Everyone had sat down together and were looking at him and Mrs Foschi.

–I think it’ll be another boy seeing as how we have so many,” she said, –but I’m hoping for another little girl.”

–There’s nothing little or girly about the one you have, mum,” commented Julianna.

–Here’s hoping for better luck this time,” said Amanda. Baby girls were just her thing.

–Imagine a tiny Julianna we could dress up,” Sirius replied fondly. –I always wanted a baby sister, but I’ll settle for a cousin.”

–Then let’s pray for another boy because you’re altogether too mushy about this,” said Julianna. She and Matt pulled over a couple of chairs and joined the group.

–You at least have a few names picked out,” said Mr Potter. –We kept fighting over names. It wasn’t until James was already born that we agreed and it was one neither of us was thinking of.”

–When are you due?” asked Katherine.

Julianna looked at her. Joe had been going out with her for a while now - about a year and a half. At first she didn’t like her for taking away Joe. With all the time the two spent together, Julianna had felt brushed to the side. Once she found out that they both supported the same Quidditch team, though, Julianna warmed up to her.

Katherine seemed to be a lot like Julianna as it turned out, but more mature. The word ‘elegant’ often came to mind when Julianna looked at her. She was a little shorter than Julianna and her hair was a lighter shade of brown than Julianna’s, but she cooked well like Julianna despite not liking to, she enjoyed Quidditch and played Keeper before Wood, and her sense of fun and adventure was evident in going out with Joe. Unlike Julianna, though, she was able to maintain a level of grace and avoid her rowdiness.

Katherine was so often with Joe that she seemed like one of the family, but Julianna thought something looked funny when Katherine had asked the due date.

–Mid-May,” Mrs Foschi told them.

–How lovely,” was all Katherine said in return.

–Julianna, would you mind helping me in the kitchen,” Mrs Potter said.

When they arrived in the kitchen, Mrs Potter started pulling out a bunch of bowls. –James just loves ice cream so much that I thought we could make sundaes,” she told Julianna. –A little unconventional, but I think it’ll be fun.”

–What can I do to help?” asked Julianna.

–Well first you can stop teasing poor Matthew.”

–What do you mean? I don’t tease him!”

–Honey, you came out of this kitchen looking quite content, but he didn’t. You heard what you wanted, but I don’t think he did. Stop teasing him and do something either way.”

–Is that why you wanted me to help - so you could tell me to get a move on?” By now Julianna was getting sick of these heart-to-heart moments. Everyone was too interfering and had way too much opinion for her liking.

–Don’t get mad at me. With your parents so preoccupied at the moment, I thought you could use a little parental guidance. Obviously I was wrong,” Mrs Potter said, slightly offended.

She continued to get things ready for the sundaes while Julianna silently helped. She had always felt as though Julianna was like one of her own and couldn’t help felling motherly. Now she could sympathize with Ella Foschi when she spoke of their mother-daughter fights.

–Need any help, mum?” James asked as he poked his head around the corner. He could feel the tension in the air immediately and wished he hadn’t just offered his help.

–Yes - knock some sense into this one,” said Mrs Potter. Then she picked up a tray of things and marched out of the room.

–Need another set of hands?” asked Lily cheerfully. She didn’t notice the scowl on Julianna’s face until after noting James looking surreptitiously in her direction.

–Jules, what was mum talking about?” James asked cautiously as the three sat down.

–Nothing.”

–Don’t be silly,” said Lily, taking control of the situation. –Just tell us so we don’t have to force it out of you.”

Eventually Julianna said how Mrs Potter cornered her in the kitchen the first time, then about her conversation with Matt, and now how unreasonable Mrs Potter’s accusations just now were.

–What’s unreasonable is how closed-minded you are,” said James once he was sure Julianna was done. –I don’t think you realize how fond mum is of you and that she was just trying to help.”

–He’s right, Julie,” said Lily, the comment earning her a strange look from James that she didn’t notice. –Look at it logically for a moment. She’s told you what we’ve been telling you all along, only she’s taken it a step further and told you what she’s noticed from her experience - her experience. Mrs Potter knows and offered guidance, so don’t go biting her head off.”

–You told Matt and he kind of pours his heart out, but all you can do is joke around. You think that’s fair? Don’t blame mum for something you actually did - or what you didn’t do,” added James.

–That’s rich coming from one person who doesn’t know how to get out of an unsatisfying relationship, and another who doesn’t know how to get into one,” Julianna replied with bite.

–Julianna, what’s wrong?” Lily asked, now feeling hurt. –We’re only trying to help.”

–Honestly, Jules, I don’t know why we bother sometimes. If you don’t like him as much as is seems, then just break things off.” James was getting sick of how moody Julianna had become recently and how trying to help only made things worse for everybody. Now she was close to making Lily cry which made him upset.

–What do you mean I don’t like him? I can’t stop thinking about the guy, and when I do it makes me sad and confused! I can’t turn around without waiting to see if he’s right there behind me, I’m guarding my actions now just to be sure he won’t drop me, I watch what I say so I don’t hurt him, I can’t wait to be back at Hogwarts just to know that he’s nearby, and you have the nerve to tell me I don’t like him? And I - I . . .”

Julianna wasn’t aware of when she started yelling, but she was thankful that the house was large and that the drawing room was on the other side of the house. Her breathing had become heavy and now her heart was racing. She had almost said something that she promised herself wouldn’t happen, and it was at that point that she noticed Matt standing in the doorway. When he got there, she had no idea, but the look on his face told her he had heard enough.

James and Lily weren’t sure why Julianna had paused and were waiting for the loud stream of words to begin again. When they saw her gaze was fixed somewhere behind them, they turned to find the subject of Julianna’s rant standing there. So they stood up and left the kitchen, passing Matt as he advanced toward Julianna.

–What do you think?” whispered James after they’d left.

–Shh - I’m trying to listen,” she said, lightly hitting his arm to be quiet.

–Move over,” he said to her, coming close so they could listen. If they were careful, they might be able to glance around the corner and be able to see too.

Julianna didn’t know when she had stood up, but she was now standing face to face with Matt. How much had he heard? Did he really mean what he said earlier? Did he want to take it back after hearing what she had to say about him? Why wasn’t he speaking? She needed him to say something. She began to wish she hadn’t said all that she had. Great, now he was going to get rid of her. Surely he would have said something by now.

Matt wasn’t sure how to respond. He knew how he felt about Julianna. Heck, he had even told her so, but she seemed to joke away the situation. He was beginning to think that she didn’t like him as much as he liked her. She said how confused she’s been, so did that mean Julianna wasn’t so sure? Did she have second thoughts and was trying to avoid the day when she’d have to break things? Now she practically says she can’t live without him. What did she really mean? Well, she couldn’t have made up that stuff she said about him on the spot like that. Did she really want to say something against what James and Lily were bringing up? She could be like that. But he knew Julianna was a passionate person and that speech of hers definitely qualified. No, she must have meant every word and that was why she still hadn’t said anything. She always was awful at expressing her feelings.

–Well say something,” Julianna said with a small voice.

–Like what?”

–Anything. How much did you hear?”

–Everything from how unreasonable you are.”

Great, that was everything. –And?” Julianna asked.

–And nothing.”

They were silent for a moment before Matt asked, –Did you mean it?” He had to know.

–Every word,” she whispered, staring at her feet. She couldn’t look him in the eye, not right now.

Outside the kitchen, James looked at Lily and could see she was just as uncomfortable as he was. Really, they shouldn’t be listening in on such a private conversation.

–We can’t leave now, they might hear us,” Lily mouthed to him. So James nodded and they continued to listen. He rather like conspiring with her, even if by accident.

Julianna had sworn to herself to never get emotional and teary. There was no way she would cry over some boy. But here she was, tears on the verge of spilling over. How did this happen? What had he done to make her feel this way? How had he managed to get to her? She was so confused and emotional that it took all of her self-control to not break down entirely.

–Well then why -” Matt started.

–Look, I’ve told you I’m capable of expressing how I feel. It wasn’t until someone suggested that I do something I didn’t want to do that I realized how strongly I objected,” she interrupted.

She had to take a deep breath to steady herself. In that moment she dared to look at Matt, but immediately wished she hadn’t. He was looking at her strangely, in a way that made her heart beat faster and make her feel unbearably warm.

–I joke . . . a lot. It’s my way of coping with things, and this . . . it scares me. But I don’t want you to feel for one minute that I don’t care, because I care immensely. It matters deeply to me what you think, and . . .”

Matt’s heart was racing. It was clear to him just how much Julianna meant to him, and it was obvious from how thick with emotion her voice was that he meant the world to her. So where did that leave them?

–I feel so overwhelmed right now, I don’t know what to do,” continued Julianna, covering her face with her hands. What was wrong with her? And why did it give her such comfort when Matt wrapped his arms around her?

Lily looked at James and gave him a small grin. She couldn’t believe how emotional her friend was, and she could tell from the look on James’ face that he wasn’t expecting that at all.

Julianna was not a hopeless or vulnerable person and Matt knew that, but she was in such a state that he felt the desire to hold and protect her from whatever was bothering her. He knew she would understand the hug.

–I’m sorry,” Julianna finally said.

–For what - feeling human?” said Matt, keeping a firm hold on her still.

–For being so rotten and silly.”

–You goose, you still don’t get it. All I wanted was to know how you really felt about me. Now that I know, that’s all I care about. So, shall we join -”

–No! I can’t go in looking like this!”

–What - like you care?”

–Like someone can make me care. I have a reputation to protect.”

–That’s my girl,” said Matt before he kissed the top of her head and broke away.

–Plus I’d like to have you all to myself for the time being,” added Julianna with a sly grin.

–How can I resist my company to someone who yearns for it,” Matt replied with an equally mischievous smile. He could hear the joke and the playful punch coming, but didn’t want to end on that note. Instead, for once he let his emotions take over. He drove her against the wall and kissed her in a way that would erase all doubt from her mind about them.

Julianna was a willing participant. Her emotions were running so high that she had to do something about it. With all that had happened in the last little while, letting Matt take control and give such passionate kisses felt right.

–We have to stop,” she gasped after a while as he kissed her collarbone.

–What if I’m not done,” he said in between kisses.

–It’s not my house and there are people here besides us.”

–You owe me, then,” Matt conceded, settling for a warm hug.

–I promise, the first Saturday back is all yours,” she told him, leading him to the table to eat cookies and squares left over.

–I’ll hold you to it!”

It was James’ turn to grin at Lily. He couldn’t believe them, yet he knew that Julianna would enjoy being snogged senseless.

Suddenly they heard footsteps and James gave Lily a panicked look. Without further thought, he grabbed her arm and dragged her into the closest room, out of sight from the retreating couple.

–That was close,” whispered Lily, slightly out of breath from nearly being caught eavesdropping. Then she looked around and asked, –Where are we?”

–My dad’s study,” answered James. He still had a hold on Lily’s arm as he pressed his ear against the door. He didn’t know how they were going to get back without arousing suspicion as to where they’d been, particularly being alone together, but they would find a way. It was definitely worth it to have this moment with Lily.

--------
Chapter Endnotes: So how is it? I know it's long. I've had this written for a while, but I haven't been happy with it until now. In the next chapter, Lily's troubles with Gethin continue and a several plans are hatched.