Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The clowns help Lily with her "Gethin Problem" and later decide that Julianna doesn't spend enough time with them and so they put on a show for the common room.
--------

Once the party was over - which was well into the following day - and everyone had left, Lily was glad to be rid of Potter. Things just felt so much more natural now that he was ‘Potter’ again. He could never be ‘James’ to her.

The rest of the holiday went by in a flash. The new term at Hogwarts had started which brought a harsher realization that their OWLs were fast approaching. Lily’s birthday came and went with a small celebration between studying. Valentine’s Day had also come and gone, but with no Slughorn party - he had mysteriously become ill and was unable to host one. A few more birthdays passed, and now Easter was a few weeks away.

Julianna and Matt were still together, only with a sense of finality. She had finally realized how he fit into her life and was able to deal with it, and vice versa.

Lily, on the other hand, couldn’t bring herself to hurt Gethin and had remained with him. He was always happy with her which made her feel worse about the whole thing.

–Just break up with him,” said Julianna for what felt like the fiftieth time. She was putting her Transfiguration notes in order having merely tossed them into her trunk with the rest of her notes earlier in the year.

–Easy for you to say when you have no intention of breaking up with Matt,” replied Lily. She was trying to decide the best order to study over the break.

–Well I think Sirius and I are meant for each other,” commented Amanda absent-mindedly while painting her nails. –I expect a proposal any time now.”

Julianna snorted, but managed to turn it into a sneeze. She had to tell Sirius about this. They wouldn’t snog nearly as much or as long if he knew she wanted it to end in marriage.

–At least you have someone, Lily. I’m still stuck flying solo,” sulked Marlene. She was also busy doing her nails. All four were locked in their dormitory as it was Friday night and they had wanted to start their girl’s night again - except for Julianna, that is.

–We’ll just have to fix that then,” said Amanda eagerly.

–I smell boy talk,” Lily said. In her mind she was thoroughly done with Gethin and ready to move on. This kind of thing was just what she needed to put the nail in the coffin.

–Well I’m off to Quidditch practice,” announced Julianna a little too loudly. She left before anyone could comment.

–But this is supposed to be girl’s night,” said Amanda at her sudden absence.

–Didn’t Brenda arrange something with Spencer for tonight?” asked Marlene, who was up to date with these matters throughout Hogwarts.

–Then don’t give her the opportunity to leave next time,” Lily scolded gently. It was quite obviously an excuse to get out of talking about boys. She knew Julianna was happy with Matt, especially after New Year’s, and there was no reason for her to want to shop around.

–I think the time has come,” Marlene said, looking mischievously at Amanda who nodded back in return.

–So Mar, what are you looking for in a guy,” said Lily, trying to change the subject.

–Yes! There has to be someone out there for you!” added Amanda.

–It’s too bad Sirius is taken - he would’ve been perfect. Well . . . he has to be handsome.”

–Obviously,” said Amanda, rolling her eyes as if anything less would even be an option.

–And charming.”

–Yes, he has to be able to win your heart,” Amanda interjected again.

–He has to dress well.”

–You’re right. You don’t want him to embarrass you just by standing at your side.”

–Smart.”

–But not too smart that he makes you look dumb.”

–Tall.”

–But not too tall that he hurts his back trying to kiss you.”

Lily kept looking between the two as they practically ignored her presence. She couldn’t’ believe them sometimes. Maybe Julianna had something in leaving earlier. It was too bad she didn’t have a valid excuse like that, even if it wasn’t true. Perhaps she could pretend to have arranged to meet Sev in the library again . . .

–Lily, what do you think?” Amanda had caught her off guard.

Lily hadn’t been paying attention after trying to find a way to escape, but now she knew there was no way out. At least she had her library excuse ready in her arsenal for next time.

Her silence had stretched on too long, but Amanda was ready with an answer. –Uh-oh, Gethin problems.”

–Don’t worry Lily, we’re here for you,” said Marlene, getting up to join Lily on her bed.

–What you need is a nice boy to help take your mind off him,” said Amanda.

–I can’t think of nice boys while I’m still with Gethin, Am,” Lily told her practically. –Besides, who else is there?”

–How about his friend Riley,” Marlene suggested.

–Oh, he’s so sweet,” Amanda crooned.

–Idiot doesn’t know the inside of a cauldron from his toothbrush.”

–I know, and he’s in Ravenclaw,” Marlene said, quickly siding with Lily and matching her disgust. –How about Caleb?”

–Yes, I heard Slughorn adores his potion-making.”

–He can barely Charm a girl, let alone his pillow.”

–An amateur mistake,” replied Marlene.

–Lucas - that’s a boy with some skills,” offered Amanda.

–Yeah, and trolls can join the ballet.”

–Remus?”

–Tried that, didn’t work.”

–Fabian?”

–A pansy.”

–Ted?”

–Too old.”

–Arthur?”

–He’s married and has kids.”

–Troy?”

–Julianna’s brother?”

–So? He’s cute,” said Marlene.

–That’ll go well,” Lily said sarcastically.

–Fine. Peter?”

–Too squirrelly.”

–Well then, what do you want?” cried Amanda, exasperated. –Do you want to die alone?”

–First of all he has to care about me,” started Lily. She already knew what she was looking for. In fact, she had sort of compiled this list with Julianna during the break while spending the holidays with the Foschis.

–Gethin does.”

–And I have to care about him,” she added.

–You don’t want to hurt his feelings.”

–He has to make me not want to poke his eyes out with my quill,” she said. Honestly, did they not understand?

–Okay, we get the point.”

–He has to be loyal to his friends and to me - I have to know I can count on him.”

–Go on . . .”

–If he can make me laugh, is a decent wizard, and doesn’t look like a complete troll, then I’ll consider him.” She knew it was a slightly unreasonable list, but weren’t they always like that?

They were all silent for a while thinking of all the eligible boys at Hogwarts. Evidently the list was small.

–My cousin Carmen might know this guy -” began Amanda.

Marlene whacked her and said, –What part of ‘decent wizard’ do you not understand?”

–Right.”

–Well,” Marlene said tentatively, –there is one guy.”

–Who?” Lily couldn’t imagine anyone at Hogwarts meeting her expectations.

–Potter.”

–Don’t make me laugh,” Lily scoffed. –Let’s hear another name that doesn’t make my skin crawl.”

–Think about it, Lil. He kind of fits,” said Amanda, thinking carefully. –You can get along if you put your mind to it. Look at it - by the end of that one night you were practically friends.”

–What choice did I have? Nobody told me what the plans were. I couldn’t jolly well stroll in there and be rude right in front of his parents.” Lily didn’t understand how they couldn’t see how absurd even suggesting Potter for her was.

–You met his parents? When did this happen?” Marlene was unaware of the New Year’s party because her friends didn’t want to make her feel like she was left out.

–Not now,” Amanda hissed. –Come on, Lily, face it - it’s a match that fits your impossible description. There’s no denying that he likes you.”

–Only because he know it gets under my skin,” argued Lily.

–He’s loyal to his friends - he never bails on them.”

–Yet he still gets them in detention and pranks unsuspecting students,” she continued to argue.

–Which, if he tries, could end up making you laugh.”

–I don’t find his treatment of Severus very amusing.” That much was obvious, so why couldn’t’ they see it?

–He’s one of the top in our year and one of the most desirable guys at Hogwarts.”

–Your point?” Lily was starting to feel uncomfortable. So maybe James - no, it was Potter! Potter might fit some of her qualifications, but he was so obviously wrong for her.

–My point is that you can stop looking and just give it a go. You might like him more than you think,” said Amanda.

–Even if I did like him - which I don’t, and gave it a shot - which I would never do and would never work anyway, there’s still one little problem: Gethin.”

–Details,” Marlene brushed off. –What if we told him you like someone else?”

–Which is a lie.”

–Or tell Potter to break it off for you. I’m sure he would.”

–Which I’ll never agree to.”

–Or Marlene could get friendly with him and force Gethin to dump you in favour of her,” Amanda said suddenly, her face lighting up.

–Brilliant! I don’t have to hurt his feelings, or confess an undying love of Potter . . . no, that doesn’t mean it exists. What d’you say, Mar?” Lily couldn’t believe she hadn’t thought of asking one of the clowns. Of course Julianna wouldn’t break things off for her, but the clowns would be more than capable of a solution.

–Well . . . he is cute, and I have no problem with him adoring me. Why not, let’s give it a go.”

–Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you . . .” Lily said, hugging Marlene.

–It won’t happen straight away. I have to be subtle of my eagerness will turn him off.”

–I don’t care. As long as he’s gone before we do our OWLs.”

–No pressure,” said Amanda, grinning.

* * *

Operation Switcheroo was in place. Throughout the two weeks leading up to the break, Marlene began to do her thing. She and Amanda even accompanied Gethin and Lily in the library occasionally for extra face time with him.

–It’ll give him the chance to compare us while we’re next to each other,” Marlene explained after her first appearance.

Poor Gethin didn’t know what was going on. First there was one girl who like him, then didn’t like him, now he wasn’t sure whether she did or not but didn’t bother herself to clarify. Now there were three girls with whom he did homework: the unsure one, one who couldn’t care either way if she was there, and one who seemed really nice and interesting.

–Too many girls,” he cried after escaping the library from them with the excuse of the loo. They used it often enough.

–Manipulative and conniving little species, aren’t they,” replied Julianna. She and Matt were wandering the halls together, intending to study during the break. Gethin hadn’t realized they were there when he spoke.

–Aren’t you one?” asked Gethin.

–I suppose I am deep down, but do I act like one?” she asked.

–Not particularly,” he admitted.

–And now you have too many. I see your problem,” mused Julianna.

–What’s wrong?” asked Matt.

–Well I’m studying with Lily who’s my girlfriend. Two of her friends have been coming over to study with us recently.”

–And?” Julianna prompted.

–So this one friend doesn’t give a fart in space about me or about being there. Her other friend does seem to like me, but she isn’t my girlfriend, but I kind of wish she was my girlfriend because my real girlfriend also doesn’t seem to care about me anymore, but I still like her even if I like her friend.”

–Whoa, too many girls,” said Matt.

–That’s what I said!”

–Tough luck, man,” Matt said sympathetically. He was glad Julianna liked him and didn’t have to worry about liking one of her friends.

Laughing, Julianna said, –Well isn’t it obvious? You can either stay with your miserable girlfriend making the one who likes you miserable as well, or you can cut your losses and get with the one that actually likes you.”

–And you think you’re rubbish at feelings,” Matt said, attempting to massage her shoulders.

–Don’t,” said Julianna, scrunching her shoulders and backing away. –I’m warning you.”

–Oh, are we ticklish there,” he said, trying to get to the soft spot.

–You know I am . . . stop - not now!”

They had forgotten Gethin who was now headed back to the library, their voices echoing behind him.

* * *

–Success!” cried Lily as she entered the common room the Thursday night before the break.

–What happened?” asked Julianna. She was sitting around the fire with some people discussing Quidditch.

–Gethin said he might like someone else and wasn’t sure we were going to work out anyway. I am a free agent and back on the market!” she cried again, punching the air.

–Too bad you won’t have anyone,” said Amanda. She had walked over to the armchair next to the one Lily had taken.

–Don’t sound so sad over it,” said James who was also in the common room sitting near the fire during the news and was equally as pleased.

–Poor Gethin,” replied Amanda.

–Poor Gethin? Poor me! I had to suffer being with him for the past school year. It’s taken me how long to finally shake him off?” cried Lily.

–Gee Evans, next time I want to break up with someone, remind me not to ask you,” said Sirius.

–What’s that supposed to mean?” Amanda asked indignantly, looking at him and waiting for an answer.

–Listen Amanda-bear, it’s been fun, but I can’t stay tied down while I haven’t finished testing the waters,” Sirius told her.

–Meaning?” Amanda’s lip was beginning to tremble. She didn’t like where this was headed.

–I need to share the love, you know? Spread the wealth,” said Sirius before Amanda burst into tears and ran up to her bed.

–And that’s how you break up with someone,” James commented.

–That was completely insensitive! Now she’ll be a wreck for the whole break,” Lily half-yelled at Potter. –You won’t have to live with her sobs at all hours.”

–That’s not my problem, Evans.”

–No, Potter, it’s ours. But I’ll make sure you suffer for what he’s done. Ugh, I can’t believe Amanda wanted to match me up with you.” Lily stormed over to a secluded part of the common room where she sat and wrote a Transfiguration paper so furiously that she had to keep repairing the holes her quill was leaving.

–Well would you look at that,” commented Sirius, completely unshaken by his recent break up. –You’re not the only one who thinks you should be with Evans, Prongs.”

–Too bad you wrecked it with that remark of yours,” Remus told James. –Don’t laugh, Padfoot, you started it. You just had to break up with her now, didn’t you?”

–I wonder who is next,” said Peter.

–Huh?”

–They say these things come in three,” he replied.

–Sure as hell isn’t me,” said Julianna.

–That’s death, Wormy. Death comes in threes,” Remus said.

–Still makes you wonder, though,” Sirius put in.

* * *

–I can’t believe him sometimes,” said Lily, once Julianna rejoined her in the girl’s dormitory the following evening.

–Then why don’t you just go out with him? It’s just one boy,” Amanda asked her. Amanda was your typical teenage girl in that she loved talking about boys. She had picked this up from her cousin with whom she had grown up. With her perfect blonde ringlets and captivating eyes, she had no trouble reeling in the boy she wanted. No guy so far seemed able to resist her charm. And being so different from Lily, she couldn’t understand why it was such a big thing having a boy chase after her for so long, so she voiced her opinion.

–Why is it such a bad thing? You just said it - he’s a boy. And he doesn’t seem to want to grow up either. I want a successful man, not some slacker boy,” Lily said.

–Oh, but he is a man,” said Marlene. Even if he was the enemy, that was to Lily. He was still an attractive boy and there was no shame in saying so.

–And in case you haven’t noticed, he is successful. He and Sirius are top of our year,” Amanda told her.

–But he’s a slacker. If only he realized that if he applied himself better, he’d achieve more, same with Julie.”

–Hey, I’m right here! I may not be paying attention, but I still am,” said Julianna, looking up from Quidditch Through the Ages.

–Was that supposed to make sense?” Lily asked as she joined them.

–Who’s not making sense?” asked a voice from downstairs. Their door was left open and their voices had drifted down.

–I bet it was Julianna. Who else of the girls would it be?” answered another voice downstairs.

–Atta girl, Jules!” cried the first voice, who then added, –Evans, wanna go out with me?”

–Hey Lily, it’s lover boy calling,” said Julianna with a smirk. –What should I tell him?”

–Yes, of course,” Amanda answered for her. –Come on Lily, we all know how you really feel.”

–You all know how I really feel?” Lily asked, rounding on Julianna.

–I’m not in on this, remember? And I believe he’s still waiting,” replied Julianna, bookmarking her page and setting the book down.

–Well then please tell him ‘no’ for me. He might believe me if it comes from someone else,” Lily told her.

Once Julianna had left and closed door and was out of earshot, Amanda said, –I think there’s something wrong with her. She’s a girl who doesn’t like talking about boys.”

–You mean she’s an attractive girl who doesn’t have to try or obsess,” corrected Lily. –And I remind you, Am, that while you went out with Fabian and Sirius - and was dumped by both - Julianna has gone out with Frank, Fabian, and Remus to name a few, turned down Jordan, is currently going out with Matt Bell, one of the top on your most desirable guys at Hogwarts, and has remained on good terms with all of them.”

–Yeah, well, I’m convinced she’s half-male anyway,” said Marlene.

–What?!”

–Well, she has three brothers, one of her only friends before Hogwarts was James - a boy, she’s still good friends with him and Sirius, she’s an intense Quidditch player, she’s lazy, she’s competitive, and she’s no flower after physical activity,” Marlene concluded.

–And she seems to get along better with the likes of those marauding morons than us,” added Amanda, still hurt by Lily’s remark. It was only yesterday that Sirius had broken up with her and it still stung. But she had plans for getting even with him.

Suddenly the door opened and Julianna walking in saying, –Don’t worry, he said he’s busy working on something this weekend anyway, but I don’t think he’s given up. Anyway, I’m going to play some Quidditch with James and Sirius. We may win if we -”

–No. You’re not going. You need to spend some quality time with your fellow girls,” said Marlene adamantly.

–We’ll have a sleepover. That ought to help,” said Amanda.

–We will - after Quidditch,” Julianna replied.

–No. For the rest of the weekend you’ll spend your time entirely with us. No waking up early, no early morning jogs, no Quidditch, and no hanging around them. It’ll be a non-stop sleepover,” Marlene said.

–What? Why? Besides, you’ll end up talking about how cute you think they are and drag me along with you,” argued Julianna.

–Sorry, James,” Amanda yelled out the door. –Julianna can’t practice today or tomorrow. She’ll be busy with us.”

–Why are they even called sleepovers? One rarely sleeps, and we all share the dormitory anyway. How is this any different?” Julianna murmured to no one in particular, trying to make for the door before she was locked in, but she was blocked by Marlene.

–Because, this time you will be involved,” answered Amanda as she went to her trunk in search of all her makeup, knowing full well how much Julianna hated makeup and planned to use it against her.

* * *

Much later in the boys’ dormitory, James and Sirius sat confused on their beds. How could Julianna have turned down Quidditch?

–What do you think of that?” asked Sirius.

–I think they’re holding her against her will,” answered James. Not a moment later they heard the distant sound of someone, no doubt Julianna, yelling –Isn’t kidnapping illegal?”

–Sounds like makeup . . . maybe a dress is involved,” Sirius said, trying to distinguish between her yells.

–It’s not like she hasn’t worn that stuff before. Jules just isn’t stupid enough to tell them,” James said.

–I can’t imagine Jewel in a dress, but she’s got the legs for heels,” mused Sirius.

–What do you mean? You’ve seen her in a dress several times,” cried James.

–And what would you know about Julianna’s legs?” asked Remus emerging from his book.

–How could you not notice? Didn’t you go out with her?”

As Sirius and Remus argued about Julianna, which soon turned into discussing the rest of the Gryffindor girls in their year, James thought of just one.

Maybe next time mum and dad ask Jules’ family over for a formal dinner she’ll invite Lily too. And she would wear a beautiful dress, and I could . . .

–I think we’ve lost him,” said Remus.

–NO! He’s too young to die,” said Sirius dramatically. Then, –No, I think he’s just in a Lily coma.”

–A Lily coma?”

–You know - vacant expression, occasional slight drooling, and no brain activity except thoughts of Lily. I think he passed air once too,” he said to Remus.

–That’s one way to get her attention, especially since acting like a fool isn’t working at the moment,” Remus said.

–It’s just too bad he doesn’t have my natural ability to attract the females. I’m hopelessly gorgeous,” stated Sirius with a sigh.

–And so humble too,” James said sarcastically, snapping out of his Lily coma. –I’ve had just as many girlfriends as you have.”

–Have not! I’m clearly much hotter than you,” Sirius argued.

–You can be as hot as you want, but I’m the sexier one. Right Remus?” James asked, but Remus had already left for the quieter common room.

After joining Remus in the common room, James and Sirius continued their discussion of who the most attractive one was. It wasn’t until an hour later that they were stopped by someone at the bottom of the stairs who had cleared their throat.

–We, the girls in fifth- and sixth-year, are here to put on a small Muggle fashion show for the enjoyment and entertainment of you in the common room now,” Marlene said before putting on the radio. –And now let me introduce our first model Amanda, ready in a lovely amethyst-coloured cocktail dress, and white heels to tie it all together.”

James, Sirius, and Remus were no longer the only ones in the common room. A few more boys had emerged from their rooms and the hall. Peter, Spencer Wood, Kyle Peterson, Jack Spinnet, and a small first year boy had joined them at the sofas, among the others hovering around to catch a glimpse. As usual, all eyes were on Amanda which suited her perfectly.

–Next we have both Alysia and Charlotte. Alysia is wearing a nice summer day dress with a pink floral pattern and matching pink flats,” announced Marlene while the boys clapped. –Charlotte is wearing a nice black A-line skirt with a blue blouse, complimenting her blue heels,” she continued to more applause and whistling from Wood.

–And now we move into our evening wear,” she continued, followed by wolf calls from Sirius. –Here we have the lovely Miss Lily Evans and Miss Julianna Foschi - yes, that’s really her - to showcase for us their dresses.”

The common room erupted in a fresh wave of wolf calls, clapping, and whistling at the sight of them.

–Lily is wearing an elegant, floor-length, emerald green dress with black heels. Look at the way her strapless gown flows gently down, and her shawl is draped effortlessly over her. Isn’t she simply divine?” Marlene continued. –And now for our piece de resistance - no offense girls. Julianna has been forced into this stunning evening gown.”

–I think disarmed and stunned her sounds more like it,” James whispered.

–Well, she is stunning,” Sirius whispered back.

–Her sapphire gown, beautifully matching her eyes, with narrow straps perfectly silhouettes her body, making her appear taller and more poised. And her heels give her legs a perfectly toned looked.”

–I’ll say. She looks almost as good as me,” said Sirius.

–What’s with your obsession with legs?” Peter asked him.

–She’s your cousin,” said James, slightly disgusted.

–And that just means that my legs share a family resemblance,” Sirius said.

–Somehow I don’t think she’d appreciate you saying that. In fact, I think she might give you a black eye,” Remus said threateningly.

–Only if she finds out . . . you wouldn’t!”

–Well, it is the second time you’ve mentioned her legs in the past hour,” James said.

–That’s just a coincidence. It isn’t pushing it too far yet, right Remus?” pleaded Sirius, but James answered.

–Fine, but three strikes and you’re out as the Muggles say.”

–You mean she has to hit me three times? It’ll only take her once to give me a black eye. Twice if my friends would hold her back,” Sirius emphasized. –Three times, though? Ouch!”

–No, I mean that if you do it again, I will tell her.”

–And I thought he was the smart one” Remus added quietly.

–Hem, hem,” Marlene interrupted. –Let’s give Julianna one more round of applause as she gives us one more twirl,” she added enthusiastically.

–You twirl,” Julianna said in a low growl, looking daggers at Marlene.

–The sooner you do it, the sooner we can go back up,” Alysia explained, trying to be patient.

–Anyone else scared of that look?” James asked his three friends.

Julianna tried to make her way up the stairs, but found the way was blocked by Marlene and Charlotte. So instead, she turned around and stomped out of the Gryffindor Tower and down the hall, heels clicking with each step.

Lily and Amanda ran after her to try easing the situation. Not wanting to miss the action, the four boys followed close behind.

–Julie, wait up,” Lily called after her.

–Really, we only meant to cheer you up. We never hang out and you’re so pretty dressed like that,” Amanda stated.

–Seriously, if you keep following, I’ll hex you the entire way back,” Julianna warned both of them, noting that James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter were keeping a safe distance.

–It was just for fun,” Lily tried to explain.

–Evans is right,” James said, finally approaching the war zone.

–I don’t need your help, Potter,” Lily remarked, and took Amanda with her back to the dormitory to change.

Julianna continued down the hall and turned to corner. She was a lot faster now that she had taken off her heels and was now walking bare foot. It took a few moments before they caught up, Peter bringing in the rear out of breath.

–I don’t need your sympathy,” Julianna said, still walking away.

–Since when have we needed to give you sympathy?” Sirius asked.

–We thought you could use some real fun,” explained Remus.

At this, Julianna stopped and turned around saying, –And what do you have in mind?”

Feeling playful, James answered, –A nice, school-wide prank,” an impish twinkle in his eyes. Julianna mirrored this, her eyes taking on a dark glint, waiting for what they had in mind.

--------
Chapter Endnotes: It may not seem like it based on my lack of attention here, but I'm still kind of attached to this fic. I'm interested in continuing it, but as a more experienced writer and there would be a some slight changes for it to be more J/L-centric. Any thoughts on this idea?