Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The Sorting and the first evening.
--------

The first years’ first glimpse of Hogwarts was stunning. The sun had long since set, the sky was clear and full of stars, and a gentle mist hung over the lake.

Lily and Julianna sat in the same boat along with another girl and a boy, both of whom seemed to be glaring at them. That aside, the two girls were awestruck by the view. After arriving inside, the first years were greeted by one of the teachers.

–Good evening. My name is Professor McGonagall. In a few moments we will enter the Great Hall where you will each be sorted into one of the four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each was named after the four founders and has their own history in this school.

–While you are here you house will be like your family. Any accomplishments will earn your house points. However, any rule-breaking and your house will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup.”

–I hope our house wins,” Lily whispered to Julianna. She had taken a liking to Julianna on the train and hoped they would be sorted into the same house.

–Yeah, I hope we cream Slytherin,” Julianna whispered back. Coming from a family that were either in Ravenclaw or Gryffindor, she would like nothing better than to see Slytherin lose.

Julianna really wanted to be in Gryffindor like her parents. Joe was her favourite brother, and despite their age difference, she also wanted to be sorted into Gryffindor too. She felt she had certain ties with Gryffindor and wanted to prove herself worthy of them.

Clearing her throat, McGonagall said, –They are ready for you.”

Suddenly the doors opened and all eyes were on them as the first years followed Professor McGonagall to the front. At the front, a shabby hat sat on a stool.

–When I call your name, you will come forward and sit on the stool. I will place the hat on your head and the hat will then place you into your house,” said Prof. McGonagall.

Lily caught sight of the two boys from the train. They were silently giggling together, like two school girls. Then the boy with the glasses saw her looking, and then he winked at her before turning back to his friend.

–Black, Sirius” McGonagall called.

Sirius walked up and sat on the stool long enough for the hat to yell –Gryffindor,” and the table in front erupted in cheers.

Lily blushed a little bit, remembering him from the train, but then scolded herself for doing so.

–Hufflepuff.”

She wouldn’t let this boy or his silly friend get the best of her.

–Slytherin.”

–Oh no,” she thought. Where were they? Did they already say her name? Had she missed her chance?

–Evans, Lily.”

–This is it”, she thought as she walked up to the stool. As she sat down, she saw the big hat coming down over her eyes.

–What do we have here?” said the hat.

Who’s that, she wondered.

–I see a desire for action and longing to prove yourself. Indeed, you are anxious for adventure,” the hat pondered.

Petunia would never believe this, Lily thought, too much excitement for her.

–A daring one, hmm? I think you’re definitely in . . . GRYFFINDOR!”

Lily grinned as the hat was taken off, and she joined her fellow Gryffindors. Then she saw the first boy, Sirius, and went to sit in front of him rather than take the seat next to him.

–Foschi, Julianna.”

Lily’s head snapped to the front, praying she’d be put in Gryffindor too. After all, if her parents were in Gryffindor, and her brother Joe was in Gryffindor, chances were that Julianna would be too. At least that is what Lily was hoping.

As the hat was deciding, Sirius leaned forward and whispered to Lily, –Now she’s something. Don’t get me wrong, Evans. You’re pretty attractive too, but just look at her legs and that head of hair. It’s almost as nice as mine! I wouldn’t mind cozying up next to her with hot cocoa on a cold winter’s day in front of a fire. What a babe!”

Lily was about to give him a piece of her mind when,

–GRYFFINDOR!”

Lily clapped wildly with the rest of the Gryffindors while Julianna beamed as she took her seat next to Sirius. Lily didn’t say anything then, but she would definitely mention something later that night as a warning about him.

There were a few more Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. Another girl and boy joined Lily, Julianna and Sirius at the Gryffindor table. A Slytherin, a Ravenclaw, another Slytherin.

–Potter, James.”

That boy. Sirius and Julianna were watching with everybody else. Meanwhile Lily was praying once again.

Please, please, please be a Slytherin, or a Ravenclaw, or a Hufflepuff, she thought. Anything but . . .”

–GRYFFINDOR!”

Lily groaned while the rest of her house cheered. But as he sat next to Julianna and winked at her yet again, she decided she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.

–HUFFLEPUFF!”

She sat up stiffly with her head up before looking at Julianna. Poor Julianna. She didn’t realize that she was seated between two of the world’s biggest prats. Well, she, Lily Evans, would be there for her friend, even if it meant being near those two bimbos.

After the sorting was complete, the Headmaster Professor Dumbledore - a white-haired wizard with half-moon spectacles - made a few announcements before starting the feast. The feast was composed of many of Lily’s favourite foods, and apparently a lot of Potter and Black’s favourite foods too. They had each taken a generous helping of every dish and were stuffing their faces. Once again Lily couldn’t help feeling sorry for Julianna. Although, she couldn’t help but notice that she was getting along fairly well with the two boys and holding her own with the amount of food.

–Maybe it’s because she grew up with three brothers that she gets along with boys so well,” thought Lily, who was starting to feel full.

After pudding, Prof. Dumbledore had a few final words before sending everyone off to bed. Lily and Julianna followed one of the Gryffindor Prefects up to the portrait of the Fat Lady. The Prefect gave the portrait the password (–thestral”) and led the first years inside. There they found themselves in the Gryffindor common room. Lily and Julianna found their way up to the girls’ dormitory, which was still empty, where they were finally able to talk.

–Some dinner, eh?” said Julianna, sitting on her bed.

–I’ll say,” replied Lily, who’d also found her bed. –You know those two boys you sat next to?”

–Boys?” said a girl from the doorway.

The girl walked in and sat down on a third bed which could only belong to her. She pulled out a mirror from Merlin knows where and began checking her curly blonde hair. Her eyes, they noticed, were a dark amethyst and her skin was a creamy white. She was fairly short, at least in comparison with Julianna who stood nearly a head taller than her.

Putting her mirror away the girl said, –So which boys are we talking about?” She added, –My name’s Amanda Marshall,” after seeing the confused look on their faces.

–Erm, my name’s Julianna and this is my friend Lily,” said Julianna. To Lily, Julianna said, –What about them?”

But before Lily could answer, Amanda cut in saying, –Are we actually going to talk about boys, or are we just noting their presence?”

Lily caught Julianna’s eye and knew they’d have to talk later, so Lily said to Amanda, –I guess we can talk about boys if you want to.”

–I think I’ll go find Joe before he gets cross at me for escaping so early. I’m sure he’ll want to congratulate me on making Gryffindor,” said Julianna as she left the dormitory.

–Who’s Joe? He must be older if he wants to congratulate her. Is he cute?” asked an interested Amanda in one breath.

–Joe is her older brother. He’s in year six, but I’ve never met him. He sounds nice, though. He and Julianna are really close,” answered Lily.

–But I want to know if he looks good,” Amanda said.

Lily didn’t know what to make of her new roommate.

–I suppose he must be rather handsome if Julianna’s anything to go by,” Amanda concluded. –She’s quite a looker herself.”

–Sirius thought so too,” said Lily, though more to herself.

–Sirius? Sirius Black? You’ve met him? Do you know him?” asked Amanda eagerly.

–You could say that,” Lily said. By this point, she had already changed to her pyjamas and was wondering where Julianna was. Putting her robe on she said, –I think I’ll see what’s keeping Julianna.”

–I’ll come with you,” replied Amanda who grabbed her own robe and closed the door behind her.

They found Julianna sitting by herself in an armchair next to the fire. She seemed to be thinking about something as she watched the fire happily crackling in the grate. It also appeared as though her eyes were glowing a reddish-orange reflected from the fire.

As Lily and Amanda went to join Julianna by the fire, four boys came down from their dormitory laughing. The three girls looked over to see who was laughing just and they boys noticed there were people in the common room and went to join them. When they got closer, Lily noticed the two boys from earlier on the train, Black and Potter, and rolled her eyes, gearing up for the conversation that was sure to follow.

–Evans, I was just looking for you,” James said.

–Oh were you, now,” Lily replied.

–I knew you’d be waiting up for me,” he said arrogantly.

–Really James,” said one of the new boys. –Can’t you be nicer?”

–I don’t think you realize, Remus, that Evans enjoys this attention,” Sirius explained.

While this was happening, Julianna had returned her gaze to the fire and was thinking about nothing in particular, and Amanda had begun to take in all the masculinity. She had grown up with her Muggle mother and Muggle aunt and cousin. Being surrounded by females had made her particularly inexperienced with boys and she had a fascination with them. These boys were quite cute, but seemed to be focused on Lily at the moment. In fact, they were so engrossed with their conversation that everyone had failed to notice that Julianna had gotten up, snuck up behind James, and was about to frighten him.

–BOO!” Julianna said loudly, grabbing James’ shoulders at the same time. James didn’t flinch; it was everyone else that was shocked.

–No fair! I thought you didn’t see me,” Julianna said to James, slightly hurt that it didn’t work.

–You’ve been trying that for years,” James answered. –I’ve been trained to see you. Besides, you got everyone else,” he added, trying to cheer her up.

–Oh you’re on, Jay, just you wait,” Julianna teased.

–Wait!” interrupted Lily. –You know him?” she asked in disbelief, pointing at James.

–He’s my neighbour I told you about. Why?”

–He’s the git that bothered me on the train.”

–Jules, you know this catch?” James asked.

Julianna turned to James saying, –Seriously? Are we doing this again?”

–James, you know this hot tamale?” Sirius asked, pointing at Julianna.

The conversation continued before one of the Prefects came down and scolded them for still being up. As Lily dragged herself up to the dormitory with Julianna and Amanda, she quickly understood that as good a friend as Julianna was, she had a connection with Potter that must be severed. And she realized that this was not the end of her Potter woes.

--------
Chapter Endnotes: Things should start to pick up soon. I would really appreciate any feedback. What do you think of the characters so far?