Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Third year has now begun, and with it new classes and Hogsmeade.
--------

Lily had no idea how right she was. Julianna was indeed a good friend, and Amanda turned out to be a good one too. However, Potter had turned into even more of a conceited cockroach. He was always going about the castle, showing off to anyone that would care to listen how great he was. It pained Lily to think that he actually was good in their classes. What was worse was that he didn’t even try hard during class and would never do his homework, which he happily bragged about too, whereas Lily tried extra hard to make sure she kept up with everyone else. She was pretty good at her classes, really, but she wanted to be sure not to give anyone, mainly Potter, a reason to doubt her abilities. The Potions teacher, Professor Slughorn, in particular thought she was brilliant, and the Charms teacher, Professor Flitwick, was absolutely charmed by her. It didn’t take her long before realizing that Potter was someone to avoid at all costs.

All through first and second year, she had avoided him as best she could. It didn’t help that they were both in the same year and both in Gryffindor, but somehow she succeeded. The library was a convenient spot where Potter and his friends never went. It was also during these years that Potter and his friends took a slight break in their usual antics and became secluded. To Lily’s dismay, this didn’t last long. In fact, they came back with a vengeance. A few times they even had Julianna in on things landing all five of them in detention.

On one such occasion on Halloween in second year, the four boys thought it would be funny to behead all the suits of armour and have orange-coloured goo ooze out of them every time a student walked past one. It turned out this was Julianna’s brainchild, but Potter and Black were the mastermind executors with Lupin and Pettigrew to aid in this effort. It took them two nights of detention to mop up the orange goo because the charm they had used didn’t seem to be wearing off as soon as they had originally thought.

Julianna’s constant affiliation with the four boys was starting to put a slight strain on their friendship, though. Potter was a constant nuisance, proud about his accomplishments, arrogant about his 'brilliance' and right down egotistical about everything. Julianna was just too friendly with Potter for their friendship to be more pleasant. And Lily wanted that friendship; with Severus Snape as a friend, she felt she needed some form of a female companion, especially a friend that was actually in Gryffindor.

Over the summer, Lily had decided to just talk to Julianna directly about it. While on the train ride to Hogwarts, she had explained to Julianna that she needed someone she could trust, someone she could count on when dealing with things, particularly Potter and his friends. She didn’t want any of that nonsense there was last year, such as the Christmas Caper where they had coerced Peeves into carrying mistletoe everywhere around the school with him and purposely stopping above people, singing horribly off-key carols until the unwilling couples had kissed. Julianna was slightly put off as she had enjoyed these adventures, as she put it, but would attempt to not be as involved with them.

This year will be different, thought Lily. We’ll all go our separate ways with our chosen classes, and the Hogsmeade trips every once in a while will be a delightful change.

Yes, third year had arrived. Everyone was excited to get their schedules to see when their classes were. In addition to their regular classes, they were able to add classes of more interest.

The morning after the sorting and welcome feast had finally come signalling the start of classes, much to the displeasure of the student body. Lily, on the other hand, was excited as their first class was double Charms, followed by Herbology, lunch, and in the afternoon Defense Against the Dark Arts, and double Muggle Studies.

–Why did you take Muggle Studies? You’re Muggleborn,” Julianna asked Lily, conscious of their discussion the previous day on the train.

–I thought it’d be an easy mark. Why’d you take it? You’re father’s Muggleborn,” Lily replied.

–I honestly don’t know, but how hard can it be, really?” Julianna answered.

* * *

After Defense on Monday, Lily and Julianna made their way to Muggle Studies. Upon arriving they saw a fairly young wizard at the front who couldn’t have been more than twenty-four. He wasn’t terribly tall, an average height, but he appeared very fit. Even with his robes on, you could tell he had well-defined muscles. Not bulky, but toned. He had a head of short, light brown hair, and a face that was kind, but intelligent.

The two walked in and sat down near the front next to Rebecca, a Hufflepuff in their year.

–Is that our teacher?” Rebecca asked.

–He’s so young,” Julianna observed.

–Looks like it’ll be a decent class,” Lily noted as she watched the students enter. –Nobody to ruin -”

But what nobody was there to ruin, Julianna and Rebecca never found out because at that moment three laughing boys walked in.

–Miss me much, Evans?” James asked when he saw the look of shock on her face. He sat down with his friends Sirius Black and Remus Lupin at the back of the class.

–Good afternoon everyone,” the young wizard at the front said, and not a moment too soon. Lily looked just about ready to kill.

–My name is Professor Codrington and I will be teaching Muggle Studies. This will be a different class setting than you’re used to as I believe in a more practical approach to teaching than just taking notes. So, throughout the year there will be a few hands-on lessons. Now, how many of you are Muggleborn?”

A few students raised their hands wondering where Professor Codrington was going with it.

–Excellent. You can be our professionals and help us in our discussion. So I’ll let the rest of you get a chance to speak by asking you what are the advantages and disadvantages of being a Muggle.”

The rest of the class was spent in a rousing discussion about the pros and cons of being a Muggle. Much to Lily’s displeasure, James proved to be useful throughout. He posed good question to further the discussion while Sirius was brilliant at being the devil’s advocate. At the end of class, Professor Codrington set them a roll of parchment on being a Muggle.

–But why would he tell us to write about something we spent the entire class talking about? It’s not real homework, then, is it,” Rebecca was saying to Lily, as a group of third-year Gryffindor students walked out of class.

–I guess he just wants to make sure we were paying attention in class. You know, make sure we understand and all that,” Julianna replied.

–Well I think he’s a fantastic teacher. It was a wonderful lesson and I can’t wait to see what he has prepared for the rest of the year,” said Lily.

–Forget the rest of the year, I can’t wait until the next class,” said Lori, another Hufflepuff.

–What do you think he meant by having hands-on lessons?” questioned Rebecca.

–Maybe we’re going outside,” Lily suggested.

–I’d go anywhere with him,” said Lori.

–Well, we’ll just have to see what he comes up with for the next class,” concluded Julianna, trying to change the subject.

* * *

And so the third years went through the week unable to wait for Monday to come. It was especially hard for them to sit through all their double lessons which included Potions and Transfiguration. Julianna was even trying extra hard to avoid contact with James and his friends. When Monday finally arrived, the whole class turned up early, including James and Sirius.

–Good afternoon everyone. How many of you enjoy sports?” asked Professor Codrington.

About two thirds of the class raised their hands.

–How about Muggle sports?”

Only two people raised their hands.

–Well, the rest of you are going to learn. Now, one of the most popular Muggle sports is football, or as the Americans like to call it, soccer.”

The next part of the class was spent with Professor Codrington explaining what the one and only ball looked like, the players’ names and position, the rules, and how it was played.

–How are you supposed to play without brooms, though,” Sirius asked.

–You run after it and kick it with your feet,” Professor Codrington told him.

–So you mean to tell me that I have to run? Why would I do that?” he asked again.

–It’s called exercise, Black,” Lily told him, rolling her eyes.

–Who needs exercise? Look at me! Honestly, I think the Greeks must have fashioned their gods after me!”

–People exercise to stay healthy and fit,” said Julianna.

–I am healthy. I’m fit as a fiddle,” Sirius replied.

–Fit includes some form of muscle,” Lily pointed out.

–I do have muscle!” said Sirius.

–You’re thirteen! How much muscle can you have?”

–Wouldn’t you like to know,” James commented.

–I’ll have you know my muscles are coming in just fine, thanks,” said Sirius with a note of finality.

–You just keep telling yourself that,” Julianna said, smirking to herself.

–Whatever gets you through the day,” said Lily.

Sirius was about to continue, but Codrington cut in saying, –Alright. Now we’ll see if you’ve been listening. Everyone follow me.” So the class got up and followed Codrington out of the classroom and down the hall.

–Where’s he taking us?”

–I think we’re going outside.”

–Maybe we’re going to watch a football match.”

Codrington led them outside to an open field. There was an extremely large rectangle marked on the grass with various other markings inside it. At either end there were two large nets.

–I think he wants us to play,” Lily said to Julianna.

–That is correct Miss Evans. The only way to fully grasp football is to play it. I will split you into two teams and then you’ll play. I will be the referee.”

The first team included Riley - a Ravenclaw, Remus, Lori, Lily, and to her horror, James. The second team comprised of Sirius, Julianna, Rebecca, Gethin - a Ravenclaw, and Fabian - a Hufflepuff. Each of the teams were given a moment to strategize.

–Right, who’s the slowest runner?” James asked his team, diving right in head first. Riley raised his hand. –OK, so you’ll be the keeper.”

–You mean the goalie,” Lily corrected.

–Exactly. All the rest of us need to do is get the ball into the other net.”

–And remember not to touch the ball with your hands, except for Riley,” added Lily.

–Why’s he so special?” Remus asked.

–It’s the rules, Lupin.”

–The rules say only Riley can touch the ball?”

–Weren’t you paying attention in class? The goalie. Only the goalie, which on our team is Riley, can touch the ball. You know, to stop it from going in the net,” Lily said, talking slowly for Remus to follow along.

–Wow, Evans” James said in awe. –Anything else?”

–Don’t let the ball go out of bounds. The big rectangle.”

–Everybody ready?” Professor Codrington asked. –The match starts with a kick off. One person from each team will try to get the ball after it’s dropped and get it to their team to try and score.”

Riley and Gethin headed toward their net. James and Sirius headed toward the centre, and their teams were behind them.

–Ready?” Codrington asked.

The ball was dropped. James took early possession, but Sirius came and took it. He kicked it to Julianna who then ran with the ball in front and managed to score.

–Blimey. Where did that come from?” Sirius asked Julianna.

–I didn’t know you could run that fast,” James told her.

–Yeah,” Sirius added, –those legs can run.”

–Enough with her legs already,” Remus sighed.

–Come on. My dad’s an Italian Muggleborn. How could I not know how to play?” Julianna said to them, ignoring Sirius’ and Remus’ comments. Then going back to her team with Sirius she said, –And that’s how it’s played. Now that they’ve seen it, I expect it won’t be as easy. We’ll need the two of you to help defend the net. Keep the ball away, but make sure the goalie can see. Sirius and I will get the ball and try to get it in their net. OK?”

The class continued playing well after class was over. Sometimes it looked like James’ team was winning. At others it was Julianna’s team who was winning. Meanwhile, Sirius kept trying to touch the ball when it came his way.

–What now?” Sirius complained, the ball in his hands again.

–Mr. Black, do you remember at the start of class when we talked about the rules?” Codrington asked politely.

–Maybe,” Sirius mumbled in reply.

Julianna ran over to Sirius saying, –Try your head.”

–I know where my thinking is supposed to come from,” Sirius snapped.

–No, I mean use your head instead of your hands. You’re allowed to butt the ball with your head as long as your hands don’t touch it,” she explained, impatient with how many times the match had to be stopped because of him.

–You know how fond Black is of using his hands, Julie,” Lily said to her.

–Hey!” Sirius said.

–Well it’s true,” Lily mumbled to herself.

And so the match continued without many more stops courtesy of Sirius. It wasn’t until Remus looked at his watch before they realized how late it was. In the end it was Julianna’s experience that bested James’ competitiveness.

–It’s no Quidditch,” Sirius said, –but it’ll do.”

–Even without brooms and the use of your hands?” James asked him.

–Who said anything about not using your hands?” asked Sirius. –How do you think Lori fell into that patch of mud?”

--------
Chapter Endnotes: So much fun! Again, please take one measly little minute to review. Please!