Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The first Quidditch match of the year and dates to Hogsmeade.
--------

Muggle Studies was the talk of the school. Everyone taking it couldn’t wait for the next class. Those who hadn’t chosen it were desperately trying to get into it. Class sizes could not be switched by that point, though.

Now that the school year was in full swing, the Gryffindor Quidditch team was constantly practicing. They had become obsessed after gaining James and Julianna as Chasers last year, and now Sirius had recently joined the team this year as the third Chaser. Julianna and James, having grown up together as neighbours, had played together so often that their experience together was a great asset.

–I mean it,” James was telling Sirius, Remus, Peter, Julianna, and really anyone else in the common room that would listen to him. –Our Chasers are really looking solid this year. And I think our Keeper has made some great changes to her game this past summer.”

–I know,” Sirius added. –All we need now are a pair of Beaters that don’t have spaghetti arms.” Sirius looked around the room before lowering his voice and adding, –Even if our Captain is one of them.”

–And a Seeker that isn’t colour blind to gold,” Julianna said. –Honestly, how can you not see a bright golden thing hovering two feet in front of your face,” she said angrily, remembering their latest practice just the other day.

–I don’t know,” replied Lily. She was trying to do her homework, but of course Potter had to be there, bragging loudly about himself, a non-stop prattling about their practicing. But she couldn’t help giving in her two bits. –The Ravenclaw team is looking pretty strong too. Especially that Keeper of theirs, Matt Bell.” Lily picked up her books and parchment, turned to Julianna and said, –You had a tough time against him last year, Julie. Do you remember that?”

Julianna flushed a little a mumbled something inarticulate.

–What was that?” James asked her.

–I said don’t remind me,” Julianna replied a little louder than was necessary.

James smirked at this, but wisely didn’t pursue it. Lily and Amanda also noticed as they walked out of the common room in pursuit of the much quieter library where they were to meet up with Severus Snape - a Slytherin in their year - to study, but Sirius was completely oblivious.

–Wait, I thought we beat Ravenclaw not problem last year?”

–We did,” James answered.

–Well then, why is -”

–Never mind,” Remus uttered with a sigh.

* * *

As Gryffindor’s upcoming match became closer, the team was practicing nearly every night before and after dinner. The rest of the team began complaining amongst themselves about their slave-driver of a captain. Although Gryffindor was playing Hufflepuff, the Ravenclaw team thought it wise to watch one Gryffindor practice, just to see their competition.

–Why do they have to be here?” Julianna said in a strange manner, nodding toward a group of students sitting in the stands.

–Oi! You lot! Get a move on, this is a closed practice!” Spencer Wood, the Gryffindor captain, yelled at the Ravenclaw team.

–We don’t face you at the next match! It’s fair game!” Ashely Bell, Matt’s older sister and Ravenclaw Captain, yelled back, with a satisfied smile.

–Hmph,” was all Wood had in reply as he led his team to the centre of the pitch.

Meanwhile James was grinning to himself over Julianna’s reaction. She had turned abruptly and stalked away, brow furrowed.

–Hey Jules,” he called. –Can you ask Evans to go out with me on the next Hogsmeade trip?”

–Like she’d go with you,” she replied rather rudely.

–It’s that time of the month again,” Sirius sang in James’ ear.

–Ew,” said James, pulling a face, while Julianna got on her broom and sped off to do a few laps before starting.

* * *

–She’s nuts,” Lily said to Amanda and Marlene, their other roommate, at breakfast the Saturday morning of the first Quidditch match. It was also the day before the first Hogsmeade trip, which oddly happened to be on a Sunday.

–Don’t let her hear you,” Marlene warned.

Julianna had gotten up at 5:30 that morning to go for a jog outside before breakfast. After returning to the dormitory, she had showered, but then proceeded to stretch for the next half hour. She was now gorging herself on food, rivalling Sirius and James.

–She’ll get sick eating that much,” Lily countered, although she was really referring to Julianna’s unusual schedule that morning.

–Well I admire her dedication,” replied Amanda.

–You’re all nuts,” Julianna said, clearly having heard the whole conversation. –Pass the bacon and eggs, would you, Am? I couldn’t sleep, so I cleared my head by jogging. Now I’m eating to make up for that, and then some for extra energy during the match,” she explained.

–Hear, hear,” Sirius shouted, raising his morning orange juice in toast before downing the lot.

Lily just rolled her eyes as she got up to leave. She had promised Severus that they would study for Potions before going to watch the Quidditch match.

* * *

–. . . And Black passes to Potter, Potter back to Black, Foschi, Potter, Potter’s at the hoops, GRYFFINDOR SCORE!” Martin Arnolds shouted. –Gryffindor - thirty, Hufflepuff - thirty.”

–Come on, team, I know you can do better,” yelled Wood.

–Then make sure the bloody Bludger stays away from us,” James yelled back.

–You tell him Jim,” Sirius commented.

–Jim?” asked Julianna, but Sirius just shrugged.

–Hufflepuff in possession, Wood hits a Bludger and Potter catches the Quaffle. Potter to Foschi, Foschi to Black, but Macmillan intercepts. Macmillan to Fawcett, Fawcett to Bones, Bones drops the Quaffle which is caught by Potter again. POTTER SCORES AGAIN! That leaves Gryffindor - forty, Hufflepuff - thirty.”

–That’s what I’m talking about,” Wood yelled.

–Shut up, Wood,” James said under his breath. –Honestly.”

–Gryffindor wastes no time, Black to Foschi, FOSCHI SCORES! Another ten points for Gryffindor.”

–That’s the -”

–WOOD!” James shouted, annoyed with all the pep talk.

–BLACK SCORES! Wait . . . I think Hufflepuff has caught sight of the Snitch. Diggory’s on the move, but Spinnet’s right on his tail. He has his arm outstretched . . . Who will reach it first?! . . . GRYFFINDOR WIN!”

Jack Spinnet punched the air with the Snitch balled in his fist as the Gryffindor team flew over to him and toppled to the ground in one massive heap. There would be celebrating in the Gryffindor Tower that night.

Remus and Peter had gone to congratulate James and Sirius, meanwhile Lily, Marlene, and Amanda had run over to Julianna to do just the same.

–Ew, you stink,” commented Amanda.

–I think it’s called effort. Or hard work. Isn’t it wonderful?” Julianna said, suddenly wrapping her arms around Amanda in a tight, smelly hug.

–Gross,” she said, fighting to get loose.

–Just go shower,” Lily commented.

–Nice to know I’m appreciated,” Julianna called after them.

The stadium was already clearing as Gryffindors made their way back in to celebrate. The Hufflepuffs didn’t want to prolong their loss and had already disappeared, while the Slytherins hadn’t even stayed to see Gryffindor win. There were a few Ravenclaws who lingered, Julianna had noticed.

Probably to taunt us, Julianna thought. Their next game would be against Ravenclaw three weeks after the Hogsmeade trip.

–Hey Foschi, next time you won’t be so lucky. We’d never let you catch up!” Ashley Bell said, referring to Hufflepuff’s early lead, before leaving to go back to the castle.

–Sheer luck! I’ve seen Spinnet play and he won’t be doing that in our next game,” someone else on the Ravenclaw team commented.

It was with great effort that Julianna kept her cool. It was the thought of winning, and helping out with that win that allowed her to continue toward the showers. Alysia Howard, the Gryffindor Keeper, was probably long gone, so she would have it to herself.

–Foschi,” another voice called to her.

–Yeah yeah, I know,” she said without even looking back. –Lucky break, won’t happen again, I get it.”

–I don’t know; your Chasers are pretty quick. Good job out there,” the voice continued.

–We’ll be here all week,” Julianna replied, still moving toward the showers.

–I may not be able to stop them all.”

At that, Julianna finally stopped and turned around to see who it was, their comment oozing with sarcasm. It obviously wasn’t a Gryffindor, but they must be on their House team.

–Oh,” she said quietly to herself, slightly surprised to see who it was.

–You gave me a run for my money last year,” Matt Bell commented. –You guys are really tight. And your arm is dangerous.”

Julianna flushed a little, at first proud that her playing was being praised, but then the colour deepened because of flushing at the praise.

–Did you play before Hogwarts?” Matt continued.

–What do you want?” Julianna asked.

–Just small talk. As a Keeper, I’m interested in who I’m up against. As a Chaser, you provide that interest.”

Smooth, she thought.

Julianna saw Lily come back out with Amanda to find out what was taking so long. Then, when they caught sight of her and who she was talking to, she was eager to finish the conversation and hop into the shower before they arrived.

–Look, I don’t mean to be rude, but is there something you want? My friends are making their way over and I was supposed to be showering before heading in. You see, they think I smelled after playing, even though it was physical activity which they don’t get, and -”

–I just came to congratulate you and wondered if you’d like to go to Hogsmeade with me? You know, keep your friends close and your enemies closer,” Matt said with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

She was planning on going with Lily and Amanda. She had already dated Frank and Gideon, if you could call it dating when you’re only twelve, which didn’t go over very well. Then, when Jordan had asked her out she had flat out refused. They were only thirteen, after all. Well, Matt was a year older, so he was fourteen. But having been caught off guard, she became flustered and ended up nodding instead of shaking her head.

–Great. I’ll meet you outside the castle at noon,” he said, and immediately turned and left.

For a few moments Julianna watched his curly, dark brown haired head walk away before it turned around the corner.

What just happened? she thought to herself. But she didn’t have long to think because Lily and Amanda were much closer and she still had to get showered.

She had just narrowly escaped, but knew she wouldn’t be let off the hook that easily. Not when they had clearly seen her talking to him. She couldn’t even think his name for fear someone would know. But know what, exactly? That she was socializing with the enemy, their rivals, the House to beat.

Julianna quickly went to the change room to shower and get dressed for the inevitable Gryffindor party and a dreadful interrogation from her friends.

* * *

–I wasn’t worried for a second, were you?” James asked Sirius.

–Nah, piece of cake,” Sirius answered.

–Best - Team - EVER!” Wood said excitedly, hugging his team.

–I swear I’ll hex you back to first year if you continue,” James warned Wood.

Still beaming at their triumph, but getting the hint, Wood walked off to talk with Jack Spinnet, the Gryffindor Seeker, and Kyle Peterson, his fellow Beater.

–Git doesn’t know when to quit,” commented James to his three friends.

–Where’s Julianna?” Remus wondered out loud.

–Probably down in the kitchens with the excuse that she needs to replenish herself again,” Peter commented.

Lily and Amanda walked back through the portrait hole, heads together in quick whispers.

–Hey Evans, I know you’re talking about me. No need to keep your voice down,” James said.

Lily rolled her eyes and said, –In your dreams, Potter.”

–Yes, you are.”

Lily ignored that and continued to whisper with Amanda as they made their way up to their dormitory where Marlene was sure to be.

–Evans, Hogsmeade?” James called after her.

–No,” she said flat out. –Can’t you use full sentences? I’m not an animal . . . Gross, Potter. Seriously?”

–Somebody call me?” Sirius asked.

–I’ll have you know I’m a prized commodity. Girls are lining up to go with me,” James said. Noting Lily’s glare, he said, –Fine. Amanda, Hogsmeade?”

–Sure,” she said without a thought.

–Great. Common Room at eleven,” replied James, who then went back to his friends and celebrating their Quidditch victory.

–What was that?!” Lily asked, disgusted.

–He asked, I accepted. So what?” Amanda said trying to brush it off.

When the two reached their dormitory, Marlene was indeed there already.

–You’ll never guess who I’m going to Hogsmeade with tomorrow!” Amanda gushed.

Rolling her eyes, Lily went over to her bed and took out her History of Magic textbook, beginning the readings for the upcoming week. It was an awful class; it was so boring. In fact, it was quite useless. But the readings had to be done at some time, and during girl talk about Potter was as good a time as any.

However, this was largely unsuccessful. She was also thinking about Hogsmeade the next day. It had happened very privately, so not even Julianna was aware, but on her way out of the library last night, she had encountered Remus there. Of all of Potter’s friends, Remus was at least manageable. In fact, he was quite pleasant when he was on his own. That was why she accepted his offer to go to Hogsmeade together. But she felt a little guilty having promised Julianna and Amanda they’d go together, not to mention he was one of Potter’s insufferable friends and she had already told Julianna that they were to steer clear of any of the four.

No, she would not go around feeling guilty about it. Julianna would just have to either go by herself, or sucker Sirius into taking her. Poor sod if he does take her. She could be a feisty one. Unless . . .

Lily had been too far away to tell, but it looked like Julianna was speaking with Matt on the field just half an hour ago. She had escaped before they arrived giving her plenty of time to compose herself. And the way she behaved the other day when Lily had mentioned Matt from the Ravenclaw team giving her trouble last year . . .

Lily couldn’t know for sure. Julianna was always different: while the girls in their dormitory preferred shopping, Julianna went for a run; while the girls talked about boys, Julianna would rather play Quidditch; instead of sleepovers with make-up (which Julianna fondly called –fake-up”), painting nails, ice cream and chocolate, Julianna opted to go with Potter and his friends gallivanting around the castle, pranking to their hearts content. At least that’s what she had done last year. So far she had kept her word at unnecessarily being around Potter. She couldn’t help Quidditch practice. No, Julianna was not typical, and as such, hard to figure out.

Maybe she liked Matt and didn’t want to talk about it. Maybe she liked him and didn’t want to admit it, even to herself. Maybe she didn’t want to admit that she wanted to talk about it. Maybe she was terrified of relationships. Maybe she didn’t want to spoil her reputation as the resident tomboy, marauding about with Potter and friends. With regards to her feelings, Julianna was hopelessly reserved. Lily knew Julianna’s temper would flare up the moment she mentioned it, but was that because of Matt or because she actually had no patience for it?

Best stay quiet, Lily decided, at least for now. She would just have to settle for her own 'thing' with Remus, whatever that could be.

–The nerve,” Julianna said to herself as she burst into the dormitory. She dropped her things in her trunk and then left just as suddenly.

–What just happened?” Amanda asked.

–Who knows,” answered Marlene, not concerned about it. She and Julianna didn’t quite see eye to eye all the time.

Unable to focus on reading, Lily got up to check on Julianna, especially since she wasn’t prepared to tell the girls her plans for Hogsmeade quite yet.

--------
Chapter Endnotes: I promise it will start picking up soon! The next chapter pushes ahead to year five where I'll be spending a bit of time. Please review!