Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: It's the beginning of fifth year. Someone accepts a date, and a bunch of questions follow.
--------

Hogsmeade was awful. First of all, the weather was uncooperative. It was too cold to rain, but too warm to snow. Secondly, because Potter and Black decided to pull a prank on Hufflepuff to gloat about winning, they were given detention during the trip and Amanda had lost her date. For Lily, Remus was miserably quiet. When he did speak, all he spoke about were his despicable friends. They seemed to have nothing in common. Lily should have known that there was no way something would come from that - not one of Potter’s friends.

While Lily was having the worst first date of her life, Amanda wasn’t even on one courtesy of Potter, and Julianna was nowhere to be found. She had disappeared early in the morning, and just before dinner had turned up with stuff from Honeyduke’s - the sweets shop in Hogsmeade, and Zonko’s - the joke shop. Nobody was aware of who she was with, but Lily suspected and she had to admit it was fifty times better than being with Potter or Black in detention. But that was the end of her secretive behaviour for the rest of the school year with regard to Matt. Even if James was becoming upset with Julianna for abandoning him, Julianna had begun to earn Lily’s trust - something that she did want.

For the students who took it, Muggle Studies continued to be an awesome class. However, some of the other courses were much more difficult. James, Sirius, and Remus had each taken Arithmancy and Ancient Runes, the more difficult courses, just to prove that they could do it. Lily was on the same page with wanting to prove herself, so she took them as well. But she wished she hadn’t the moment she realized who else was in the class. Not wanting to give Potter the satisfaction, though, Lily had stubbornly decided to stick with it. Julianna took them because at the time she was better friends with James and felt like she was dared into it, but she also didn’t want to be left out. These five were the only Gryffindors to take them, though. Arithmancy in particular was filled with Ravenclaw students, eager for the knowledge and high level of learning that was required. To the dismay of James, Sirius, and Remus, Snape had also taken Arithmancy and was quite the bright little grease ball. If any pranks were to be pulled in that class, Snape was the unfortunate scapegoat, especially once Lily came to his aid in defending him.

Third year went on without many problems. Sure those four irritating imbeciles kept pranking around the school, but Lily plugged on with Julianna and occasionally Snape to preoccupy herself with. Their holiday pranks were becoming quite the event to look forward to among Hogwarts students. Julianna suspected that even Dumbledore himself rather enjoyed them too. That Christmas in third year saw the typical twelve Christmas trees suspended upside-down on the last day of term, ornaments still dangling right-side-up. The Easter break had unbearable amounts of multi-coloured rabbits infesting the school and multiplying every time someone tried to catch them. It was especially funny when one of the red rabbits started chasing Snape around the castle all day.

When the end of third year arrived and the exams were finally finished, Julianna kept trying to invite Lily to stay over with her at some point during the summer during the train ride home.

–Yeah, and live next to that?” Lily said, nodding toward Potter huddled and whispering out in the hall of the Hogwarts Express. –I think I’ll pass on that one. But you’re more than welcome to come over to my place for a visit. I don’t think Petunia will be around much. From mum’s last letter, it sounds as though she’s found herself a beau . . . my mum’s words, not mine,” she added hastily after seeing Julianna’s eyebrow raise.

But Julianna never visited Lily that summer. She was busy in Italy with her family visiting relatives of her father’s. So Lily spent most of her summer evading her sister, Petunia, and her new boyfriend - a strange boy named Vernon who always gave her the most curious stares. On days when he was over, Lily tended to leave the house altogether and roam the neighbourhood, sometimes accompanied by Severus who lived nearby.

As usual, the summer holiday ended too soon. The first of September had come again bringing with it fourth year. In James’ and Sirius’ opinions, it was a thoroughly uneventful waste of a year.

–What did we learn?” asked James on the train at the end of their fourth year.

–Well, we learned that just because Snape’s hair is greasy doesn’t mean that his clothes should be too,” Sirius tried to answer helpfully.

Remus’ head turned quickly when he heard that and asked in disbelief, –You actually learnt that?”

–What I meant was that we learned that that’s what Snape thinks,” replied Sirius quickly. –I only learnt that Snape can get pretty upset with us when his clothes match the rest of him. It’s too bad the scumbag had Evans there to get upset with him.”

–She was awfully angry,” reflected Peter, carefully selecting a few choice sweets from the trolley.

–I don’t get how a Gryffindor as clever as her can be stupid enough to befriend a Slytherin like that,” James said with disgust once everyone had bought what they wanted from the trolley and the door had closed.

–Just show her the wonderfulness of Gryffindors,” Remus said.

–We’ll just have to prove to her next year how dirtbags don’t make good friends,” Sirius concluded with an all too mischievous grin on his face.

* * *

–OWLs are this year,” said James’ mother to him before leaving for the Hogwarts Express at the end of that summer, –so I don’t want to hear you’re completely wasting your time.”

It was the first of September of their fifth year and, like most other young wizards, James was getting ready for the start of term.

–Yes mum,” James said. Did that mean some time-wasting was alright?

–I want to hear you’re studying to do the best you can.”

–Yes mum.”

–These OWLs are important for your future.”

–I know, mum.”

–And I don’t want to hear about any more detentions like I did last year.”

–Yes mum.” Did that mean she expected and was okay with the same amount?

–And all those pranks . . . keep them to a minimum.”

–Yes mum.” Was she fine with some pranking then? James had the distinct impression that his mother was saying all this half-heartedly.

–And tell Sirius the same goes for him. I don’t know where the pair of you got all this from,” she added offhandedly.

–Oh, he will.” James wasn’t about to let Sirius off the hook. He knew Sirius’ mother wouldn’t give him the 'buckle up and study hard' speech, nor did she particularly care how Sirius turned out as long as he wasn’t around her.

With James and his parents in tow, they made their way to King’s Cross Station and on to platform nine and three quarters where all the other Hogwarts students were saying their goodbyes to their parents. There they found Sirius, who had left his parents and brother at the other end of the platform, Peter, whose mother had already said goodbye and had to run to work, and Julianna chatting away.

–Julianna, how are you?” asked Mrs Potter, giving her a hug.

–I’m fine, thanks,” she replied, happily returning the hug. –How’re you?”

–Oh, we’re plugging away,” said Mrs Potter.

–At least as best we can what with You-Know-Who up and about,” Mr Potter added rather casually.

–Now Henry,” Mrs Potter chastised. –You know what Dumbledore said about names and fear.”

–And you know how he gives me the willies,” retorted Mr Potter, shivering. –Hello Julianna. Where are your parents?”

–Hi, sir. They’re over there,” Julianna replied, pointing to a spot somewhere behind a group of students.

–Excellent,” Mr Potter said trying to find them. –Well, you kids have a good term. And James, try not to be too much like yourself, alright?”

–What’s that supposed to mean?” James called after his father with Sirius, Peter, and Julianna laughing.

–Bye sweetie,” said Mrs Potter, giving her son a kiss goodbye. –You too, Sirius,” she added as Sirius willingly went over for his hug.

–Sweet lady, your mum,” said Sirius fondly as he watched her join Mr Potter with Julianna’s parents.

–Well, I’m off,” said Julianna. –I have to go find Lily, and I probably shouldn’t be seen with you lot when I find her.”

–What do you mean, us lot?” James asked in an attempt to look offended.

–Well mate, you know how fond Evans is of you,” Sirius said to James.

–Yeah. Last time she saw you she tried to get your broom to push you off the train,” added Peter.

–You’re lucky we need to find Remus, or I would insist on dogging you until you did find her,” James told Julianna as she walked off in search of Lily.

–I’d say I was the one to dog,” Sirius said thoughtfully. –You’re more likely to high-tail her.”

–We haven’t quite managed that, so I can still dog whomever I choose,” replied James. And the three boys boarded the train in search of Remus.

Meanwhile Julianna was still walking through the halls trying to find Lily. She had managed to find Amanda, and they were now looking into every compartment for her. They had just left a group of third-year Ravenclaw boys, one of which was another of Julianna’s brothers.

–How many brothers do you have?” Amanda asked.

–He’s the third and last one, thankfully. Will’s a git,” replied Julianna.

–I thought you loved your brothers.”

–I do, but of the three, he’s the most annoying,” explained Julianna. –You know those ratty little brothers, whining and complaining and all that.”

–Actually I don’t. I only grew up around girls,” Amanda reminded her. She had grown up with her mother, Aunt Brittany, and Carmen, her cousin. She was still as intrigued by boys as she was in their first year, and as such was still turned around to look back into the compartments that had any boys in them.

–Let’s just take this compartment while we can still get an empty one. She can just find us,” said Julianna, who was pointing to the compartment they were approaching a car away from Will.

About half-way through the train ride, Lily showed up in a huff saying, –It’s barely the first day back and they’ve already had him hanging upside down. And Lupin was no help, either.”

–Where’ve you been?” asked Julianna.

–Haven’t I told you? I was with the other prefects before patrolling the halls, and those frustrating fiends were walking about in the halls, apparently looking for Lupin. Instead they found Severus and decided that all summer was too long without dangling him upside down.”

–So Remus is the other new prefect for Gryffindor?” asked Julianna, unaffected by James’ and Sirius’ lack of self-control with respects to Snape.

–Who else could it have been?” said Amanda. –Potter and Black are in detention so often it’s their second home. Who in their right mind would appoint either of them in charge?”

Julianna agreed that this was a good point and for the rest of the train ride the three discussed their summers. They were interrupted by the James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter trying to convince Julianna to join them, but Julianna didn’t need to see the look on Lily’s face to know this wasn’t a good idea. Marlene also dropped by to get Amanda for a chat.

–They have an unhealthy fascination with boys,” said Julianna after they left.

–Mm-hmm,” said Lily in response as she saw who was coming down the hall.

–Foschi, any chance you’ve decided to drop the Quidditch team?” asked a curly-haired Ravenclaw student.

–Hey Bell, any chance you’ll actually catch my oncoming Quaffles?” retorted Julianna.

–Our Seeker’s gone now, so we might actually stand a chance against Gryffindor,” said Matt Bell, Keeper for Ravenclaw.

–Wasn’t she your sister?” asked Lily.

–She still is,” replied Matt.

–Any particular reason you’re here?” asked Julianna.

–Just like everyone else, I’m here to learn.”

–Oh, I like him, Julie,” said Lily. –Clever.”

–Ha ha,” Julianna said, who was now starting to turn red and wasn’t in the mood.

–What year are you in?” asked Lily, trying to figure out exactly who she was talking to.

–Sixth. And I want to know if you have plans for Friday night,” Matt said, addressing Julianna.

–I expect I’ll have homework like the rest of us. You obviously remember the load of homework fifth-years get in preparation for their OWLs,” Julianna answered.

–In the first week? It’s not even a full week seeing as tomorrow’s Tuesday, and -”

–I would love to do something on Friday night. Happy?” Julianna said defiantly, trying to ignore Lily’s smirking.

–Great. I’ll see you around,” said Matt, content with the answer he got. He left rather quickly just in case Julianna decided to change her mind.

–Where’s the trolley, I’m starving,” Julianna wondered aloud, but Lily continued to smile at her. Noticing this, Julianna asked, –And what’s wrong with you?”

–Nothing yet.”

–Meaning . . .”

–Meaning that you’ll have some explaining to do. Wait until Amanda and Marlene hears - they’ll have a field day. What will Wood say when he hears one of his Chasers is dating the enemy, and in his final year, too? He’ll have heart failure. And how will Potter and Black react when they find out? Potter could very well tell your father,” rambled Lily in one big breath, a look of triumph on her face.

Without much thought, Julianna answered saying, –It’s just one date. And since when have I ever given the impression that I’d like to talk about boys with them, or anyone else for that matter? Why would I start now? I’m an awesome Chaser, and nothing would give me more pleasure than continuing to score in Ravenclaw’s hoops. Wood will just have to live with our continued winning. I just hope he can handle winning the Quidditch Cup. And as for James and Sirius, they’ve dated girls not from Gryffindor too. The hypocrites shouldn’t do it themselves if they’re so against it.”

The rest of the train ride was uneventful. It wasn’t until after the Sorting and the feast when everyone was in their respective common room that Julianna’s troubles really began. She was accosted by James, Sirius, Remus and Peter first.

–What’s this I hear about you dating the enemy?” said Sirius, wagging his finger at her.

–It’s just one date, and it hasn’t even happened yet.”

–What about back in third year? You went to Hogsmeade with him,” recalled Sirius.

–And we went to Honeyduke’s and Zonko’s. Hardly anything romantic.”

–How do you expect us to do well in Quidditch if you’ve got googly eyes for the Keeper?” asked Peter.

–Who does he think he is? He’s trying to turn you against us! Who knows what’ll be next?” cried Remus.

–How do you think this makes us feel? You’ve betrayed us, Jules . . . Cut us in the heart . . . Stabbed us in the back . . . You’ve cooked our goose and eaten it too . . . The cat’s out of the bag and the beans are on the floor . . . The horse has been beaten, the cards on the table have formed a house, and now the race has been run,” James said rather dramatically to Julianna, a look of utter confusion on her face.

–I think he’s read too many of those Muggle books Codrington suggested for us last year,” Sirius whispered to Remus and Peter.

–Maybe this is what Mr Potter meant when he told James not to be himself,” Remus wondered to Sirius and Peter.

–Before you hurt yourself any more, I’m going up to bed,” said Julianna, having caught sight of Wood looking for her.

Julianna raced up the steps to the dormitory where she dressed at top speed and yanked the curtains around her bed. She did not want to deal with Amanda and Marlene’s questions. She couldn’t handle any more, not after James’ impressive, yet confusing, rant. That would have to wait until tomorrow morning.

* * *

–Just look at today!” cried Julianna when Professor McGonagall had come around handing out the timetables at breakfast the morning after the sorting. –Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Transfiguration, and double Defense! And on our first day too!” Julianna then tucked into a rather large breakfast to console herself.

–How bad can it be?” asked James who had only just come down and sat down next to her. But he was slightly worried upon seeing that Julianna was stacking on the bacon for a second plate.

–Nothing we can’t handle what with old Snivelly with us all morning,” commented Sirius, joining them for his own breakfast.

–If Lily hears she’ll clear off pretty soon,” warned Julianna.

–Come off it,” said James. –Can’t she see by now how disgusting his filthy friends are? Doesn’t she know what each and every one of them does after Hogwarts?”

–I don’t think she cares. Snape’s nice enough when he’s on his own. It’s pretty much the only thing keeping their friendship intact,” replied Julianna.

–Then we’ll just show -” started Sirius, but Julianna cut in.

–And the more you bully him, the more she’ll defend him.”

–She’s right, you know,” Remus put in.

–Gonna stop us,” Peter piped to Remus.

–She thinks you’re arrogant,” Julianna said, now speaking directly to James, –and every time you do something to prove you’re better, the more irritated she gets because you’re proving her point.”

Having finished her food, she got up and left for the common room. So far she had avoided those unwanted questions about Matt. She had specifically got up early for her usual morning jog followed by a shower before breakfast and therefore hadn’t come across anyone until part way through breakfast. To her horror, though, Matt had also gotten up from the Ravenclaw table and was now making his way to the stairs. Julianna quickened her pace, but due to his height and long legs, Matt was easily able to catch up.

–Hey,” said Matt.

–Hey.”

–How does your timetable look so far?” Matt asked conversationally.

–Awful.”

–And Fridays?”

–Actually those days aren’t too bad. How about yours?” she answered truthfully, unaware of Matt’s intentions.

–Not bad. How about a walk around the grounds, then?”

–What, now? I have class. Besides -”

–I meant on Friday. Remember our conversation on the train?”

–Right . . . well . . . I’m not going to that stupid ‘Make-Out Maple’ if that’s what you’re thinking.” Julianna had heard way too much about that place from Amanda and Marlene.

–I think it’s actually more of a bit of forest with a particularly larger population of maples. There isn’t a specific one that people go to.”

–And how would you know?”

–Countless students talk about the place. With all those students going about their dates, I don’t think that one tree would suffice. It would get pretty crowded,” Matt answered slyly.

–Yes . . . well . . . that’s all very nice, but I’d still rather stay a good distance away from there, wherever it happens to be,” Julianna said rather lamely.

–Fine. I’ll see you Friday, then,” said Matt cheerfully, and he turned to head toward the Ravenclaw common room.

It wasn’t until Julianna had reached her dormitory and grabbed the necessary things for the morning’s lessons before she realized that they hadn’t settled on a time for Friday. And that was now the second time he had said he’d see her around that week. When she brought this up to Lily during the break, for they couldn’t talk during their classes because of all the OWL prep talk and work set for them to do, Julianna added, –I think he’s rather enjoying himself.”

–I still think he’s clever,” Lily said. –By not giving you the specifics back on the train, it ensured he would have to see you again before Friday. Then again today, he didn’t give you the time because he wants to see you again. He’s making sure that happens. It’s brilliant!”

–He’s just having a go at me,” replied Julianna, her temper beginning to rise.

–How do you figure that?”

–Because it’s all so awkward, that’s why.”

–How can it be awkward? You never seem at a loss for words, and you seem perfectly normal around your brothers and those stupid morons,” reasoned Lily.

–Yeah, well they’re family,” Julianna replied, ignoring her ‘stupid morons’ comment. –And James is as good as family. I don’t know Matt apart from that he’s the Ravenclaw Keeper who keeps infuriating me.”

–But if you don’t know him, how does he infuriate you?” asked Lily, still unable to figure her out.

–You’re one to talk! You hate James, but you don’t know him,” Julianna retorted, trying to keep her cool.

–Toe rags are a far cry from simply not knowing. I think this has to do with more than just infuriation, Julie,” Lily tried to say gently. –I can’t believe I’m even having this talk with you.”

–What talk?” asked Julianna obliviously.

–Is there a slight chance that you might like Matt?”

–No,” Julianna answered a bit too soon.

–Well think about it. It’s just a possibility,” said Lily, as they approached the Transfiguration room for class. But Julianna wasn’t able to think about it at that moment. Transfiguration was one of her favourite classes next to Defense, and that was after lunch. No, with all the talk about this being their OWL year, then being given significantly harder magic to perform than last year, Julianna couldn’t think about this question until dinner.

Julianna sat at dinner, poking her food while her thoughts wandered back to earlier that day, her eyes fixed ahead of her at the rest of the Great Hall gazing at nothing. Did she like Matt? What did that even mean? Sure he was attractive, but so were Sirius and James and several others she knew. But they didn’t have his dark, curly brown hair, or his deep, rich dark brown eyes. He was tall, too. Not in a lanky sort of way, but in a well-defined way - probably from his training as a Keeper. Julianna felt much the same way about her figure and being a Chaser. But what did he like to do? Why did he do those things? Where did he come from? Who was he? How could she form an opinion of him if she hardly knew him? These were some of the questions haunting her thoughts.

At the same time, Lily had been doing her own thinking. Her first thoughts were of Julianna and Matt. There was something in it, of that she was sure, and Julianna did seem to be acting strangely at the moment - she wasn’t eating. Her thoughts then strayed to Potter and what Julianna had said earlier. Well of course she knew Potter. Hadn’t they spent four years so far in the same House and in exactly the same classes? Of course he was conceited - she could see that plainly every day when he bragged about himself. Of course he was a bully - Severus was proof of that whenever they used him as a scapegoat. He never could get over the whole 'all Slytherins are evil' thing. He just couldn’t get over himself, get off his high hippogriff long enough to see how utterly rude he was to others and how despicably mean he was to poor Severus who hadn’t done anything to them apart from residing in Slytherin.

By unspoken consent, both Lily and Julianna left their uneaten plates and headed for the common room deep in their own thoughts. They silently began their homework to avoid it piling up, and when they got as far as they could, they wandered up to bed where they continued to question what they knew well into the night.

* * *

–Something’s definitely wrong,” James said to his three friends that same evening.

–How do you figure that?” asked Sirius, who was contemplating whether he should begin his homework like everyone else or not.

–How can you not tell?” Remus said to him.

–Didn’t you notice she wasn’t eating?” asked Peter. –That’s always a tell.”

–But what on earth could be wrong?” Sirius asked. –It’s the first day of classes. She can’t be that far behind.”

–No, I think it has something to do with yesterday,” Remus put in.

–But she ate perfectly fine then,” recalled Sirius, still not cluing in.

–And you’re one of the top in our year?” said Peter.

–Blimey, you can be thick some times,” James said. –Remember last night what we found out about her?”

–Yeah. Little Miss I’m-too-good-to-join-in-the-fun. I thought she enjoyed hanging Snivelly by the leg,” Sirius said bitterly.

–Just start your homework,” said a defeated Remus who returned back to his.

James attempted to do his homework, but he was too preoccupied. He’d known Jules forever, literally. She always ate a meal even when she was sick, but she hardly ate a thing that night. She always had something to say, but she was silent at dinner. She usually talked to him in the evenings, particularly when Lily went to the library, but she hadn’t that night. What was up with her? She usually confided in him about things, although he had to admit that lately she’d been spending much more time with Lily.

Lily. There was something about her too. She hated him, he could tell, but it was always so much fun to get her going. Riling her up seemed to make him tick, just as tormenting Snape did. She had seemed off tonight too. She and Jules had barely spoken all evening, and they even went to bed early. He’d just have to wheedle it out of Jules tomorrow.

--------
Chapter Endnotes: How is the pacing? I hope it isn't too slow. As always, any reviews are most welcome!