Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Julianna is acting different, so the Marauders concoct a plan to help her out.
--------

The next morning, Julianna, Lily, and James woke up as usual and without thoughts of their previous night’s ponderings. Julianna got up early as usual for her morning jog before heading down to breakfast where she piled her plate as usual with bacon. Lily, never the morning person, woke up and shuffled around getting ready just as slow as usual before breakfast. James woke to Sirius collapsing the curtains of James’ four poster bed in on him and burying him in them.

The day proceeded just as it usually did. Lily was particularly happy that morning with double Potions first thing followed by Charms. Professor Slughorn had a rather soft spot for her. She was even invited to tea that Saturday afternoon in his office with a few other students.

Wood had approached each of his team members to tell them that they would be having a practice that Saturday afternoon; he had apparently also forgotten his quarry with Julianna. For the rest of the week James, Sirius, and Julianna all had Quidditch to look forward to.

Thursday morning came and saw Julianna dashing back to the dormitory. She and Lily were half way to Defense class when she realized she’d forgotten her books. On her way back to class, she ran, literally, into Matt. She hastily grabbed her things, helped him back up, and half yelled her apology for running into him as she continued sprinting to class without any further thoughts.

She’s off her rocker, Matt thought to himself as he watched her tear down the corridor. He had to appreciate her athleticism. There was nothing ungraceful about the way she ran, and boy could she run. He had seen her pick up a Defense textbook and a Transfiguration textbook. He guessed she had Defense first because of the direction she was headed, which meant that she must have Transfiguration right afterward.

Looking at his watch, Matt decided that he would go start his Charms homework in the library before conveniently being outside the Transfiguration room when class let out. He still had unfinished business to attend to before Friday.

Meanwhile Julianna had all she could do to pay attention in both classes, even if they were her favourites. She had an awful feeling about that close call in the corridor.

Lily had noticed her behaviour and had guessed correctly what the cause was. She had also noticed at the end of Transfiguration who was standing around in the corridor. Figuring that Matt wanted to talk to Julianna, and that she wouldn’t willingly give him the time, Lily took matters into her own hands and purposely walked out of the class in a conversation with Amanda and Marlene leaving Julianna to deal with Matt alone.

–Hey,” she said to him deciding that she would be the one to say it first.

–Transfiguration?” he questioned.

Like you didn’t already know, Julianna thought to herself. Instead, she said out loud, –Yeah. We were attempting to turn pumpkins into luggage. Not terribly difficult, but I think mine still had a leafy pattern on it.”

–An absolute failure, I’m sorry to say,” replied Matt jokingly. –Mine had a stem instead of a handle when I did that one.”

–I’m sure a troll could do better,” said Julianna returning the joke. This isn’t so bad, she thought as they continued walking aimlessly through the corridors. –Why weren’t you in class?”

–Didn’t have a class this morning. But I do have Muggle Studies later on.”

–How do you find that class?”

–Well,” Matt started, shocked at how well this conversation was going so far, –I think he knows what he’s talking about, but I do wonder what the use of showing us how to play baseball is.”

–I think he’s just trying to show us some good old Muggle fun. It shows us that wizards aren’t superior, and that they still have their own way of doing things and having fun in a non-magical fashion,” said Julianna.

–How insightful of you,” Matt joked.

–That was, wasn’t it . . . I don’t have that class until tomorrow. I’ve no idea what Codrington’s planned, but it should be good. Any word on your Quidditch team yet?”

–Tryouts are being held on Sunday for a new Seeker and Chaser, but otherwise I don’t think I should tell you,” said Matt playfully. –Gryffindor doesn’t need any extra information regarding Quidditch.”

–We don’t need extra information to win. Our Chasers are the best at Hogwarts right now, so I don’t think we have anything to worry about,” Julianna said cockily as they continued to walk along the corridors.

–Is that a challenge?” Matt asked, turning to face her.

Julianna, stopping to face Matt as well, looked him defiantly in the eye and said playfully, –Maybe.”

A long silence followed as they continued to look each other in the eye and size each other up. It wasn’t until a group of students came around the corner on their way to class and startled them that Julianna bade him farewell to get to her own class.

* * *

–Where’ve you been,” whispered James as Julianna sat down just in time for class.

–In the halls,” she answered evasively.

James was about to continue, but class had just begun and he could only give her a questioning, yet slightly hurt look before facing the front.

He couldn’t concentrate. The numbers were all mashing together in his head and he could feel his mind wandering within minutes.

What’s up with Jules? he kept wondering to himself. She was usually more blunt than that. She hadn’t cracked any jokes lately, either. Drastic measures must be taken to bring her back to us, he thought. James decided that he would consult Sirius on the matter. He would have something up his sleeves.

* * *

–An adventure - that’s what she needs,” declared Sirius once James had told him everything. –She’s suffering from boredom.”

–Somehow I don’t think that’s what it is,” said Remus before dinner, –but it would definitely be fun.”

–Something that she likes to do, but with a twist,” James suggested. He knew Julianna well enough to know that in this case, they needed to go a step further in whatever they were planning.

–I think I have just the thing,” replied Sirius mischievously.

Later that night, in the safety of their dormitory, they put their heads together. It took them half the night, but they were able to iron out the kinks of their plan, and they would put it in motion that Saturday night.

Meanwhile, rumours were circulating among certain students the next morning about some midnight frolicking planned for Saturday night. Those interested were to contact Sirius and to keep the details hushed.

–Everything is going according to plan. Julianna won’t know what hit her, but her boredom will soon be cured,” said Sirius triumphantly at breakfast Friday morning. –Twenty people have already contacted me and things are well on their way.”

–Hey genius, have you figured out a way to get her to come?” asked James.

–All will be revealed in time,” was all Sirius would say.

–He’s just saying that,” whispered Remus to James and Peter. –Wait until tomorrow night, we’ll be the ones to figure out how to get her without making Evans any the wiser.”

* * *

–Good morning,” said Professor Codrington. –I don’t need to go into too much detail about this year. I’m sure you’ve heard enough how this year is very important for you what with your OWLs. The only advice I have is: go to class, do the work, and you should be fine.”

–Is that it?” asked Lori, a Hufflepuff girl. –We just had the most stressful week with everyone scaring us silly about how difficult our OWLs will be, and all you have to say is do what we’ve been doing all along?”

–Would you prefer I told you there’s next to no hope of you passing anything?” Codrington asked politely.

–No.”

–If you haven’t had trouble in the past, and as long as you keep up with the work, I cannot foresee any of you having any trouble in June,” he concluded. –If there aren’t any more questions, we’ll continue. First I believe we should review everything we’ve done up to this point, just to jog our memories.”

The rest of the class was devoted to reviewing the various sports, discussions, and so forth covered in class. Having done many of the things first-hand, everyone had a vivid memory of what needed to be done and how.

–Alright, not bad so far, but we have a fair way to go still. Next week we will be changing things up. As I understand it you have Friday afternoons off. Am I correct . . . excellent. Well, we will be having a sort of field trip next Friday afternoon. Come to class as usual in the morning for further details. With that, I leave you with one roll of parchment on why you believe three of the things we’ve discussed would be considered fun and or useful for Muggles. We have looked at the what and the how in class, now I want your opinion on the why, now that you have experienced these things first-hand. To be handed in two weeks from today.

–For your enjoyment, I have left some Muggle magazines at the back on your way out. Take a look at them and feel free to take anything that looks interesting to you,” concluded Codrington, dismissing the class early.

The class, pleased to be let out early, packed quickly just in case Professor Codrington changed his mind. On their way out, they stopped to take a look at the magazines. Gethin and Riley saw nothing of interest and left. Sirius, Remus and James, however, were now huddled closely together with a small stack of magazines.

–You know, I think Amanda and Marlene would appreciate these,” said Lily, picking up a few magazines about Muggle fashions, cosmetics, and male models.

–You think?” asked Rebecca, who was in Hufflepuff and didn’t know them as well.

–If you’ve sat any length of time outside of class with them, I think you’d agree,” replied Julianna who was now looking at a magazine with still photos of a football match in progress.

–You know, I never thought I’d be interested in a Muggle gardening magazine,” said Lori as she put one in her bag.

–Hey, Jules,” called James. He, Sirius, and Remus were now making their way over, each with a stupid grin on their faces.

–This better be about Quidditch tomorrow,” whispered Lily to Julianna before leaving the class with Lori and Rebecca.

–We have something planned tomorrow night, and we require your presence,” stated Sirius.

Julianna, with an air of suspicion, asked, –What did you have in mind?”

–Oh, a little of this, a little of that,” Sirius answered ambiguously, trying to look innocent.

–Such as?”

–All will be revealed in time,” was all Sirius said in reply.

–He told us that yesterday,” said Remus, unimpressed.

–I probably shouldn’t, but since I’m needed,” said Julianna, a smile growing on her face, –then who am I to deny help to friends.”

–That’s the spirit,” said James. –Just make sure Evans isn’t privy to this.”

–Yeah, because she’ll want to come,” Julianna said sarcastically as she went to follow Lily.

Julianna’s mind was racing. It had been a while since she’d done anything with James, especially if it involved some kind of evening escapade. What with everything happening this week, she was feeling particularly reckless. She was so engulfed in her thoughts that she once again walked into Matt.

–I’m sorry, I’m making an awful habit of this,” said Julianna, still distracted.

–A Knut for your thoughts,” said Matt.

–Oh, it’s nothing.”

–Really.”

–I don’t think you know me well enough to question what I am or am not thinking,” Julianna replied a little defensively. At the look of Matt’s startled face, she then said, –I’m sorry, I’m just thinking. As far as first weeks go, this one has been pretty heavy.”

–OWLs?”

–That’s part of it . . . I feel like people have all these preconceived notions about things, particularly about me, when they really know nothing at all. It’s exhausting trying to work around them or plow through them, and I feel like I’m going to break soon if it continues,” Julianna suddenly confessed.

Matt just stood there for a moment, looking at Julianna and taking in what she said. Choosing his words, he replied, –I’m not going to pretend to know what’s going on, but you know you can talk to people, right? I don’t mean me, necessarily. Anyone, really. If they’re really your friend, they’ll listen and not judge you.”

–Yeah, I know,” she said, giving him a sad smile. –Anyway, I have to grab my things for Potions. Thanks for listening.”

–Any time,” he answered, watching her disappear down the corridor.

--------
Chapter Endnotes: Reviews would be wonderful!