Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Julianna has a moment with Matt, Lily accepts a date, and the Marauders finalize their plans.
-------

Amanda and Marlene were happily glossing through the magazines Lily had brought them from their Muggle Studies class. She had been absolutely right in assuming that they would enjoy clothes, make up, and boys, even in a Muggle medium.

–Hey, Mar,” said Amanda, –it says here that Sirius could be your type. Look . . .”

Marlene put down the magazine she was holding to read the quiz Amanda was showing her.

–You just need to answer the questions and follow where the answers take you. See,” Amanda told her, pointing at the quiz.

Lily just shook her head as she grabbed her Potions stuff. What a way to end a week, she thought cheerfully to herself. Potions was one of her favourite classes, and not because Slughorn was soft for her. There was just something about the careful measuring, cutting, stirring, and the sound of a happily simmering potion. It was just like baking at home. You couldn’t beat the eggs too hard, or work the flour too much otherwise the baking comes out wrong when finished.

–What’s up with you?”

Lily looked up, unsure who was being addressed.

–Both of you,” added Amanda to Marlene’s previous question. –Lily, you were smiling and humming.”

–And Julianna looks a little too happy,” added Marlene, who had never got along well with Julianna.

–She’s usually happy,” replied Lily.

–How can you be too happy?” asked Julianna.

–It’s a different kind of happy,” Marlene answered, giving her a shrewd look. –Lighter than it was.”

–A lighter happy.”

–Was I humming?” asked Lily, knowing what likely made Julianna look ‘a lighter happy’ and not wanting to let Marlene in quite yet.

–We have Potions,” said Julianna, now grabbing her things. –She’s likely excited about that.”

–And cookies,” Lily added, remembering the baking too.

–Thankfully this is our last year of mandatory Potions,” said Amanda, following the other three out of the portrait hole.

* * *

After Potions, Lily and Julianna were sitting in the Great Hall about to begin lunch. The hall was unusually empty as the students were all eager to get outside and enjoy the last of the warmer weather.

–So,” started Lily.

–Chips?” Julianna offered.

–No thanks. So,” she started again.

–So . . . what?”

–Too happy? A lighter happy?” Lily prompted.

–Who’s made a lighter happy?” asked James. He hexed the student seated next to Julianna to fly down the bench leaving room for him to sit there.

–Is that really necessary?” Lily asked.

–Well, shouldn’t everyone be happy, even if they are inanimate objects?” James said innocently.

–Yeah,” said Sirius. –Everyone deserves a chance at happiness, and I’m sure this bench would be much happier with those second-years further down from here.” Sirius did what James had just done, and the second-years also slid down the bench.

–Hey, Evans,” started James, ruffling the back of his hair. –Wanna go out with me? Hogsmeade weekend’s bound to be coming up soon.”

Lily rolled her eyes, saying, –When pigs fly . . . and that doesn’t give you license to give a pig wings to hurry the process.”

–So there is a process!” James said enthusiastically.

Lily rolled her eyes again and decided to just ignore Potter and his friends who had just joined them in the empty seats across the table.

–Is it still on, then?” Lily asked, turning back to Julianna.

–Is what still on?” asked Julianna, feigning ignorance.

–You know perfectly well,” answered Lily.

–Do you have the feeling we missed something?” Sirius whispered to James.

–As far as I know it still is,” Julianna said. –Still haven’t decided one detail,” she continued, now having fun being elusive with James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter, –but I’m sure I’ll have another run-in before long if you know what I mean.”

–Do Am and Mar know?” asked Lily.

–No,” Julianna answered, –and I’d like to keep it that way.”

–I think they’re snubbing us,” James whispered back to Sirius.

–They’ll know before long, you know,” warned Lily.

–Probably, but I can try.”

–Definitely being snubbed,” Sirius whispered to James, Remus, and Peter.

–Does it look promising?”

–Maybe.”

–I think they’re doing this on purpose,” Remus whispered to his three friends.

–Yeah, ‘cause we look like idiots trying to follow a one-sided conversation,” said Peter, not wanting to whisper.

–You just killed it, Pete,” said James, still whispering.

–Fine. You have your little secret,” said a defeated Sirius. –We’ll just go over there.”

–Oi, you,” called James. –Those’re our seats you’re in.” He hexed the same second-years back to where they originally were, and the four moved down the table.

After making sure the second-years were fine, Lily then gave Julianna the come-on-and-spill-the-beans look.

Julianna carefully watched her plate before answering, –Yesterday you left me . . . don’t give me that look, I know you purposely left me . . . we just talked about leafy patterns and trolls, baseball and Quidditch, that’s it. Today after Muggle Studies I walked into him, and it’s becoming a bad habit. I ran into him yesterday before Defense as well. Anyway, I vented. I swear that’s it, but it felt good to just vent. I was probably happy because I had done.”

–And tonight?” asked Lily, not nearly ready to give up.

–Like I said, it’s still on, but he still hasn’t said a time.”

–He’ll probably do it on your way back to the common room. If you’ve noticed, he’s been finished eating for at least five minutes now, and there’s nobody seated around him for him to stay and chat with. He keeps trying to casually look this way, but you’re still eating lunch.”

–You’ve thought this through,” Julianna observed, slightly annoyed. She had, in fact, not even started eating.

–Well, if he doesn’t get you now, you’re likely to disappear for the afternoon and he may not get a chance to set a time. Then you’ll have the perfect excuse for not showing up and saying it would never work anyway.”

–Well, I’m probably right and -”

–Save it, Julie,” Lily interrupted. –You’ve got to get married at some point. I think he really likes you. Can’t you see that?”

–Well I have no idea why,” said Julianna.

–Maybe he likes how competitive you are. It was Quidditch that got you back in third year.”

–He’s just sore of losing.”

–Well then, maybe it’s because you’re a decent witch who knows how to still have fun.”

–You’re a decent witch.”

–You’re confident in who you are and definitely aren’t afraid to show people.”

–Hardly unique to me.”

–Have you ever thought it could be because he thinks you’re pretty?”

This caught Julianna off guard. Pretty? Yeah, right. She never wore fake-up. She didn’t even own any, let alone know how to use it. She barely did anything with her hair. It was either up in a ponytail or down. Her favourite Muggle clothes were either sweatpants and a t-shirt, or just plain jeans and a t-shirt. Dresses and skirts were for the likes of Amanda and Marlene. How could anyone think sweats and a ponytail were pretty? Julianna was completely confused.

Seeing her confusion, Lily said, –Hasn’t anyone ever told you that you’re pretty?”

–Sure, my dad, but you know what dads are like. I guess I’m alright.”

It was Lily’s turn to be confused. Julianna had beautiful long hair; it was nice and straight, and the most beautiful dark brown. Lily was never sure about her eye colour, but her eyelashes were long, thick and dark. Julianna was fairly tall, but because of Quidditch, and football with her father, she had acquired a lean and slightly muscular figure. She had long legs and a beautiful smile. In short Julianna was beautiful, in a rough-around-the-edges sort of way, though Lily couldn’t get rid of the thought of her in sweats, pranking.

–I thought you knew you were and just defied it,” said Lily. –No matter what you think, you are pretty and I think Matt sees it too.”

Julianna was still left confused and speechless. Lily had finished her lunch and had left Julianna to mull over her words. Slowly the Great Hall emptied until Julianna noticed she still hadn’t touched anything on her plate; her plate didn’t even have food on it yet. Realizing she wasn’t hungry, she also got up and left. Julianna didn’t feel like going back to Gryffindor Tower quite yet, so she decided to go outside.

Once outside, Julianna felt the warmth of the sun and decided to dip her feet in the lake. The water should still be somewhat warm, and she learned long ago that the giant squid was nothing more than an oversized goldfish.

–Fancy a dip?”

Julianna turned around to see Matt walking towards her, hands stuffed in his pockets. She still remembered what Lily had said back in the Great Hall and didn’t trust her voice, so she nodded.

–Mind if I join you?” he asked.

Again, Julianna nodded for him to join.

They walked in silence toward the lake, each deep in their own thoughts. Once again, Julianna felt awkward thanks to Lily. Things were just starting to level out when - wham! - Matt thinks you’re pretty. How was that supposed to make her feel? How did that actually make her feel?

Matt was also feeling strange. He had lunch eaten too quickly because Julianna typically ate fairly quickly and he didn’t want to be left behind. He had wanted to speak with her after lunch, but she sat and talked with her red-headed friend. Then this friend, Lily, he thought, said something that silenced Julianna before walking out. Then Julianna didn’t even eat at all and just sat there. What were they talking about? Lily seemed to be pretty clever and had looked over his way one too many times.

They had reached the lake and Julianna started to pull off her shoes and socks. Matt started doing the same before they rolled up their pant legs.

Julianna walked straight into the lake, no moment’s hesitation. She started walking around, kicking the water a bit with each step, near the shore. Then she stopped, closed her eyes, leaned her head back, and felt the warm sun on her face. Matt remained on the shore, still very much dry.

–Too cold?” Julianna asked at last.

Matt shook his head.

–The giant squid won’t hurt. He once took me for a ride around the lake.”

–It’s not that,” said Matt, looking a little warily at the water.

She wanted to joke and recall his earlier comment about a Knut for his thoughts, but this didn’t seem the right time. Instead, she cocked her head and gave him a questioning look.

Matt sighed, finally confessing, –I have this thing about water.”

–You don’t know how to swim?” she asked, but not impolitely.

–I have a thing about deep water and drowning.”

–We’ll only be calf deep,” Julianna said, trying to be helpful. –And I’ll make sure you don’t drown.”

Matt looked at her with a look of terror, unsure of what to do. He continued to look her in the eye for signs of laughter or pity, but they weren’t there. Deciding it was safe, he slowly went to the water and got in.

–Still breathing?” she finally asked, trying to make light of the situation to take his mind off the water, but all Matt could do was nod.

–See? It’s not so bad,” Julianna continued calmly.

–Just don’t go any further,” said Matt.

–I won’t. You’ll be safe here with me,” she replied, smiling, trying to make him at ease and keep him calm.

–I know,” Matt said, finally smiling back.

* * *

Lily didn’t know what to think. Julianna was fairly bright, but when it came to day-to-day common sense, she was sorely lacking. It blew her mind to hear that she’d never been told she was pretty, and even more when she found out Julianna had never considered that she could be. Heck, even Potty wee Potter had told her she was pretty, even if just to infuriate her.

Suddenly, Lily saw someone and quickly turned in the opposite direction she was going in order to follow him.

–Gethin,” she called.

–Oh, hey, Lily,” Gethin said, seeing who it was. –How are you?”

–Fine,” she answered, impatient at the moment with the niceties.

–What did you make of that hint for next week?”

–Wh - . . . oh, yeah, I have no idea. No one’s ever told us to come to class for further instructions on a class outside of its scheduled time.”

–Exactly. We’ve been able to get through football, baseball, and those other sports in plenty of time during class. It must be something lengthy,” Gethin concluded.

–Yeah. Er, I have a question for you,” she stated, not sure how best to broach the subject.

–Okay.”

–I know this sounds silly, but do you think Julianna is pretty?”

Gethin was taken aback, but readily answered, –Yes. I think she’s rather attractive, same as you.”

–Great, tha- . . . pardon?”

–Well . . . I think you’re attractive too.”

–Oh,” said Lily. –Thanks.”

–What’s this all about?” he finally asked.

–Just a conversation I had with her, I got the impression that she didn’t consider that she could be attractive.”

–Really.”

–Never crossed her mind,” confirmed Lily. –It leads to follow, then, that she’s never been told as much. I always just assumed that she’d been told.”

–Hey, Lily,” started Gethin, –would you consider going out with me some time?”

Lily paused for a moment, unsure of what to do. Then, –Sure, Gethin, I’d love to.”

–Brilliant. How about the first Hogsmeade weekend?”

–I don’t know when that is yet, but sure, that sounds like fun.”

–Great. Well . . . I’ll see you around, then.” And he continued down the corridor the way he came.

What just happened, thought Lily.

* * *

–You know, I think this might just work,” said Remus.

–Just in time too,” reflected Peter.

–She didn’t eat again, we know,” Sirius said to Peter.

–We’ll need to set up ahead of time, just to be sure everything’s ready and nobody creeps up on us,” concluded James.

The four boys had decided to forgo their dormitory in favour of the warm weather. They were walking around aimlessly on the grounds somewhere near the Quidditch pitch. It was nearing dinner time, so they decided to turn around and start back toward the castle.

–That should be done tomorrow,” said Remus. –I don’t think it’d be safe to do too far in advance.”

–Filch,” Peter said bitterly.

–Some time after Quidditch practice, then,” concluded James.

–That doesn’t give us much time,” said Sirius.

–What we need is a way to figure out when Filch is coming,” James stated. –If we knew where he was, then we’d never get caught.”

–Well then I guess we should start on that once our other project is complete,” Sirius said.

They finally reached the castle and headed straight into the Great Hall where students were already beginning to eat. On their way past the Slytherin table, James discreetly sent a spell aimed at Snape that turned his pumpkin juice into . . .

–Anchovy paste!” yelled Snape.

The four boys roared with laughter as they sat down at the Gryffindor table and watched Snape attempt to rid the foul taste in his mouth. Little did he know that Sirius had also sent a spell at Snape gluing the bottom of his trousers to the bench and making him incapable of getting up to help his situation.

–ARGH! POTTER! BLACK!” Snape roared, but he couldn’t get up to seek revenge on them.

James and Sirius were now bent over laughing, wiping the tears from their eyes. They were just gaining composure as Julianna walked in, somewhat dazed but quickly setting it to a more amused look.

–Lily’s furious, just so you know,” she commented to them.

–Aw, Evans will get over it,” Sirius fluffed off.

–Since when has Evans cared what we did,” said James.

–Since it involves Snape, it matters greatly,” Julianna said, seating herself down next to Remus.

–I see you’re just as pleased with him as we are,” Remus told her.

–Yeah, well, just because she’s great friends with him doesn’t mean I like Death Eaters,” she said back, not caring about her accusations.

–You still up for tomorrow night?” asked Sirius.

–I should be; I’ll just have to shake off Lily,” replied Julianna. –I think I’ll say I’m still hungry and go down to the kitchens to get food.”

–What with your recent eating habits, that would be quite appropriate,” Peter said quietly to himself.

–And don’t ask, because we’re not telling you,” said James, seeing the look on her face.

–It’d better be good,” Julianna said with a mischievous smile, –if I have to clear my Saturday night for you four.”

–Like you have so many plans,” said Sirius sarcastically.

–I could have,” she replied. Then, without eating, Julianna got up from the table, bade them farewell, and headed out of the Great Hall.

–She didn’t eat again,” noted Remus.

–I don’t even think she made an effort to fill her plate,” said Peter. –Look, her plate is still empty.”

–I can see you’re very troubled by her eating behaviour lately,” commented James, looking amused at Peter.

–He just likes a girl with a happy appetite,” defended Sirius.

–I think you mean ‘healthy’ appetite,” corrected Remus.

–No, I mean happy. If it’s a healthy appetite, then you’re just eating healthy food and aren’t enjoying it; you’re not happy with it. But if you have a happy appetite, then you’re eating what you enjoy and are enjoying what you are eating.”

–Can’t you enjoy healthy food?” asked Remus.

–Not if we’re talking about that gross stuff. You know, whole wheat; tasteless, gritty and all. Or less fat; the dry, crumbly food that it is. Or plain old egg whites; you need the would-be chicken, the yellow part, for flavour. That’s why we eat chickens and enjoy it, not the plain jiggly stuff surrounding it,” Sirius concluded, pulling a face of disgust.

–It’s going to be a long weekend,” James sighed, noting the behaviour Sirius was in. He would be nearly unbearable until their plans could take place. James readied himself for what would be a long night.

-------
Chapter Endnotes: This is more of a transition chapter. The next several chapters are already written, so I hope to post them soon. There will be some fairly Julianna-centric chapters coming. As we all know, Lily hates James at this point, but I still wanted to have year five stuff to set up when they can actually tolerate each other. Please review!