Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Julianna has her date with Matt followed by an interrogation from her dorm-mates and her Quidditch team. Sirius' master plan is finally executed, and they return to have a heart-to-heart with Julianna. Note: This chapter is very Julianna-centric, so if you don't like that, skip to the next chapter.
--------

James and his friends continued to snicker to themselves as they watched Snape attempt to ease his situation, meanwhile Lily was fuming at the opposite end of the Gryffindor table. Severus had made it quite clear that he didn’t want any help when she had offered.

The fool would rather suffer through his humiliation by himself than accept the help of a friend, she thought bitterly, but even the status of ‘friend’ kept wavering.

Lily couldn’t deny any longer who his friends were. Of all the students at Hogwarts Sev could have chosen, he chose those most likely to become Death Eaters. She couldn’t even overlook his strange fascination with the Dark Arts, especially in these troubled times. But he was always so pleasant; she could hardly believe he would be involved with You-Know-Who at all. It was all so confusing right now.

For some reason, Lily was now in a foul mood, and it was continuing to go down as she watched Potter and his cronies mess with nearby students. She was also eating dinner by herself which added to her mood. Amanda and Marlene were still up in the dormitory flipping through the magazines she’d brought them. Meanwhile Julianna was out.

Probably busy with Matt somewhere, she thought bitterly.

But why was she bitter? Hadn’t she encouraged this? Hadn’t she stood up for him and reasoned against Julianna’s tendencies? Didn’t she believe he could possibly soften her edginess?

Lily stabbed her potatoes rather aggressively thinking how strange it was that just earlier that day she had been humming and smiling.

* * *

Julianna was wandering the grounds outside the castle. She was supposed to be looking for Matt, but she couldn’t find him.

Perhaps I’m just early, she thought, wishing that she had a watch. Or maybe he’s really messing with me and isn’t coming at all and wants to make me look ridiculous searching for nobody.

This was a thought she hadn’t entertained yet. But just as Julianna was starting to have second thoughts, she rounded the corner and found that Matt had set up a picnic near the area James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter had wandered to just before dinner. A tartan blanket had been laid down and Julianna could see the picnic basket, looking longingly at it as her stomach growled. Had she really not eaten since breakfast?

–I wasn’t sure what you like or how hungry you’d be, so I enlarged the basket to carry a little extra just in case,” said Matt upon seeing Julianna.

Smiling, Julianna answered, –Actually, I’m starving. I haven’t eaten since this morning.” She eagerly joined him at the blanket.

–Good. I got the house elves in the kitchen to pack a decent variety,” he said pleased. –When I told them who it’d be for, they started cramming even more food in.”

–I might have visited the kitchens a few times for a snack,” she replied. Seeing Matt’s eyebrow raise, she continued, –I get pretty hungry. Especially when Quidditch practice runs long and I don’t get enough to eat. That happened quite a lot last year.”

–They seemed to know you well, then . . . I happened to notice you enjoy your time in the Great Hall during meal time too.”

–So what have we got,” asked Julianna, her stomach growling again.

–Well, there’s some chicken, but if you don’t like that there’s also pork chops, meatloaf, and some ham.”

–I’ll have a bit of each, then,” she said. At his astonished face, she said, –What . . . I have Quidditch practice tomorrow.”

Matt just smiled as he handed her each of the plates of meat in turn. He could tell he would be having an entertaining night.

* * *

–Where on earth is she?” asked Amanda. –It’s nearly nine.”

Back in the girl’s dormitory, Amanda, Marlene, and now Lily, were wondering where Julianna was. They had tried to make Friday nights a sort of girl’s night, a time to catch up after homework, Quidditch, and different friends during the week.

–Lily, you said you came from the library,” said Marlene. –She wasn’t there with you?”

Lily shook her head.

–And we’ve been in the common room since dinner,” added Amanda. –We would have seen her come or go.”

–She doesn’t have Quidditch until tomorrow,” Marlene said, bouncing off of each other.

–Besides, Sirius and James are still in the common room.”

–Which also means she’s not gallivanting with them somewhere in the castle.”

Lily kept glancing between the two. She knew perfectly well who Julianna was with, but didn’t feel the need to enlighten them. Besides, while Lily knew who she was with, she didn’t actually know where they were or what they were doing.

Way to keep it a secret, thought Lily. How are you going to get out of this? They’re bound to figure it out now.

Just then, Julianna walked into the dormitory looking quite the same as she normally did, but with her ‘lighter happy’ look.

–And where have you been?” asked Marlene accusingly. –Do you have any idea what time it is? Or what day it is?”

–I’ve known how to tell the time and the days of the week for quite some time, thanks,” Julianna answered coolly.

–We’ve been worried,” said Amanda, trying to avoid another one of their rows.

–Speak for yourself,” mumbled Lily, but now quietly enough, for Marlene had heard.

–You knew where she was?” exclaimed Marlene. –Why didn’t you say so?”

–Of course I didn’t know where she was,” Lily said matter-of-factly. –Who she was with, however . . .”

–Traitor,” Julianna said to her as she went to get her Transfiguration work out. She was rather amused, though, of Marlene and Amanda’s confusion.

–So what were you doing, then?” asked Amanda, gently.

–I ate dinner then practiced that Charms stuff for Flitwick,” Julianna answered truthfully.

–Ha! Lily said you weren’t in the library,” Marlene said triumphantly.

–Well if she was practicing, the library would hardly be the place to do it,” reasoned Lily.

Julianna gave her a look of gratitude.

–So you were out all evening doing homework by yourself,” said Amanda, shrewdly.

–No. I ate dinner with Matt Bell out on the grounds where we talked about Quidditch and practiced Charms, as I’ve already said.” Without a further word, Julianna took her Transfiguration homework and walked out.

–She was on a date?” asked Marlene, incredibly.

–That’s what you call it when two people eat dinner together,” said Lily.

–But why didn’t she tell us?” asked Amanda.

–Look at how you’re reacting. Can you blame her?” said Lily. Then she grabbed her won Transfiguration homework and left to join Julianna.

Lily could appreciate Julianna’s reasons for not telling Marlene and Amanda. It was for those precise reasons that she hadn’t told them she was in the Library with Gethin doing their Arithmancy homework, and not by herself or with Severus.

He had quite innocently stumbled upon her in the library and, seeing she was looking over her Arithmancy work, asked if he could join her. Marlene and Amanda knew who she was in the habit of studying with. Knowing Gethin wasn’t one of them, they would rightly assume that something was going on to prompt such an arrangement.

Julie’s right, thought Lily, they’ve got an unhealthy fascination with boys and relationships.

Lily joined Julianna at one of the tables, but didn’t say anything. She knew Julianna would tell her what she wished when she wanted to, and she knew her silence was appreciated what with a certain pair of boys causing a commotion in the corner.

Rolling her eyes and putting her stuff down, Lily stomped over to where Potter and Black were causing a nearby first-year student’s homework to disappear every time she attempted to write something down, much to her confusion.

–Can’t you do something about your friends, Lupin,” Lily said to Remus who was sitting at the table with the two and Peter.

–I’m sorry, I must have missed it. You see, I was busy translating a few runes,” Remus said, feigning ignorance.

–Do you get a kick out of tormenting students?” Lily asked, now addressing Potter and Black.

–I do, rather,” said James, ruffling his hair absent-mindedly.

–She’ll be flattered, Evans, once she realizes who’s doing it,” answered Sirius cockily.

–Wanna go to Hogsmeade with me, Evans?” James asked.

–I’m warning you. Both you, Potter, and Black. No more fooling around or I’ll have to give you both a detention tomorrow afternoon during Quidditch practice,” threatened Lily. –I’m sure Wood’ll be pleased.”

Lily then stomped back to Julianna and they immersed themselves in their Transfiguration homework. Miraculously, the four boys soon retired to their room for the evening allowing Lily to finally relax.

* * *

–I’m telling you, something’s definitely up,” James whispered to his friends the following morning. He was now watching Julianna help herself to yet another plate of bacon and eggs. He had to admit that Peter had a point. Yesterday she hardly ate, now she was eating almost more than usual.

–You think?” asked Sirius. He was worried whether or not his plan would work well enough. He couldn’t have her ruining them.

–Everything alright, Jules?” asked James tentatively.

–Never better.”

–Still alright for tonight, then?” asked Sirius, just to be sure.

–Definitely. I’m looking forward to it. Listen, I had an idea this morning,” she began.

–You mean earlier this morning,” corrected Remus.

–Yeah. It’s about when we win our first match,” Julianna continued. She then explained her thoughts to them, their faces quickly getting an impish look.

–It’s brilliant!” exclaimed Peter.

–We’ll have a bit of work to do, but there’s still time yet,” said Remus.

–Couldn’t have thought better myself,” said James.

–Excellent,” Julianna replied. –Then we can start tomorrow.” And Julianna walked out of the Great Hall having finished her breakfast.

She’s back, thought Sirius, a look of admiration following her as she left.

* * *

Later that afternoon, the Gryffindor Quidditch team were assembled in the changing room. They were waiting for Spencer Wood, one of the Beaters and Quidditch Captain for the team.

–All right, team,” Wood started, having finally arrived. –I’ve worked all summer on our new practices.”

–Thank Merlin,” Sirius whispered to his fellow Chasers, James and Julianna.

–We are going to train harder and longer in order to ensure the cup this year,” Wood continued.

–What?!” cried Julianna.

–We already did that last year! How can we possibly add more time to practice?” exclaimed James.

–We’ve got OWLs this year, Wood,” said Sirius.

–Since when has that ever concerned you,” said Kyle Peterson, the other Beater for the team.

–I’ll also be having the reserves come play with us every now and then in a game. They need to be in top form just in case we need to use them,” Wood said, glaring pointedly at James and Sirius, clearly recalling last year.

–How were we to know someone would catch us hanging Snivelly and give us detention during the final?” said James.

–Just make sure it doesn’t happen this year. That final should have been ours. And to make sure it still will be this year,” he added, now rounding on Julianna, –let’s make sure we can get past the Keepers . . . all of them.”

–What’s that supposed to mean? She’s our best Chaser,” cried Jack Spinnet, the Seeker.

–Hey,” said James. –What do you mean she’s the best Chaser?”

–Word has it that you’re a little friendly with the Ravenclaw Keeper,” Kyle interrupted.

–More than a little friendly is what I heard,” added Wood. –What’s this I hear about last night? Dinner and Charms homework . . .”

–Since when does Quidditch practice involve interrogating its members?” asked Julianna heatedly.

–Since they affect our games,” replied Wood. –So, is it, or is it not true?”

–No matter what the answer is, I assure you that nothing - nothing - will impede my ability to successfully score on the opposing team, which you well know.” And Julianna turned and headed out toward the pitch.

The remainder of the team looked warily at each other before they went and joined her on the pitch to begin their practice, Wood’s beginning-of-year speech forgotten.

–Does that mean she’s really dating him?” Sirius quietly asked James.

–Search me, in know as much as you do,” James replied, slightly hurt that she hadn’t confided in him.

* * *

While the Gryffindor Quidditch team were resuming their first practice of the school year, a few select students were gathered together in Professor Slughorn’s office for afternoon tea. Among these students was Lily, surrounded by students she didn’t know.

Lily knew why she was there; the events of the Slug Club were quite well-known among the students of Hogwarts. It was rather an honour that Lily had been invited, for she also knew that those part of the Slug Club did well later on in life.

But Lily didn’t know any of the students present. Sure she had seen them around, but they were all a year or two ahead of her. As such, the conversation was rather uninteresting. Slughorn could drone on sometimes when reminiscing, recalling former students who were now successful in life.

Lily wondered how the practice was faring as she sipped her tea. She couldn’t help but admire the dedication the Gryffindor team had what with all their practices, and the length of them. It was too bad they had lost last year because of stupid Potter and Black.

Lily helped herself to an empire biscuit. She wondered, rather reluctantly, how much more interesting afternoon tea would have been if Potter and Black had been there. For one thing they would make sure Slughorn wouldn’t be the source of all conversation. And she was sure they wouldn’t all still be seated there.

Lily wondered how much longer she would be there as she dragged her attention back to Slughorn, who had now moved on to some of the advantages he experienced as a result of his excellent connections.

* * *

Lily endured another hour with the Slug Club before she was released. By this time it was nearly dinner, so she decided to head straight to the Great Hall. On her way there she came across Gethin who seemed to be waiting for something.

–Hey,” she called to him.

–Hey, Lily,” he answered, his face brightening up. –Slug Club?”

With a forced smile, she answered, –Yes. I’m just off to get an early dinner now.”

–Are you busy later . . . I was just wondering if you’d like to go over our Arithmancy stuff again in the library after dinner?”

–Yeah, sure. I might bring Julianna later if she’s not doing anything. Is that alright?”

–Of course; the more the merrier,” he answered, but he was rather disappointed. He had hoped to have Lily to himself again.

–I’ll see you after dinner then,” said Lily brightly.

Lily continued to the Great Hall. When she walked in, she noticed that the Gryffindor team were already there. She walked over and joined Julianna.

–You’re early,” she noted.

–Not really. This is only our first break. Wood wants us back in . . . ten minutes,” answered Julianna, consulting a watch.

–I suppose studying later is out of the question,” said Lily.

–I don’t think we’ll be there too long. But I promised Matt we’d go over Defense later. I hope you don’t mind.”

–No. I’m meeting Gethin in the library later to do some Arithmancy.”

–Oh really,” teased Julianna. –Anything in it?”

–Just Hogsmeade.”

–Don’t let Am and Mar hear.”

–Only if you tell them first,” Lily said before Julianna and the rest of the team got up to leave.

Lily watched them leave catching Potter’s eye as he went. He gave her a wink, and then sent a spell at Snape which caused him to slop his drink all over the front of his robes. However, she didn’t bother to see if he needed help remembering the last time she tried.

–Would it kill you to be nice,” she called after him, then finished her dinner and headed back up to the dormitory to collect her Arithmancy work for the library.

* * *

–That was awful,” said Sirius, rubbing his back side.

–What do you mean awful, we were amazing,” countered James.

–Yeah, if your rump going numb feels amazing,” said Julianna, rubbing her right arm.

–If every practice ends up like that, I think I might seriously quit,” said Sirius.

As the three turned into the change rooms, Sirius said to Julianna, –Unless you wish to shower twice, I suggest you don’t shower until later.”

–Amanda will freak if I don’t,” she said. –Apparently I sweat like a pig and smell like one too.”

–You’ll just go piggy later,” warned James.

–How do you figure that?” she asked.

–All will be revealed in time,” said Sirius once again.

–Mm,” she said, unimpressed. –Well, then I’ll just have to shower again.” And she headed off to shower.

–Just be there at a quarter to midnight,” called Sirius.

–We won’t have much time,” said James, looking at his watch.

–Then we’ll skip the shower and head straight there to prepare,” replied Sirius.

–You know, I think she’ll really enjoy this,” James told him as they walked toward the castle.

–I just hope Remus and Peter are already there,” Sirius said anxiously.

They continued into the castle and toward the Grand Staircase. About half-way to their destination, Remus and Peter caught up with them.

–We’re already done,” said Peter.

–All we have to do is wait until tonight,” said Remus, who had lowered his voice in case Filch was lurking nearby.

Back in the common room, Amanda and Marlene were talking to a few other girls. As Lily was still in the library with Gethin, and Julianna was with Matt, they continued on planning for something. Whatever they were doing, the four boys could tell they were up to no good, having done much the same thing, but in the safety of their dormitory.

At a quarter to nine, both Lily and Julianna walked in. They walked straight up to their beds, but didn’t notice Amanda and Marlene. When they returned to the common room with their History of Magic work, the group had dispersed leaving Amanda and Marlene alone.

–Where have you been?” asked Marlene, joining them near the fire, Amanda close behind.

–Studying,” Lily and Julianna said together.

–Again?” asked Amanda.

–We have OWLs this year, remember,” Lily said.

Marlene and Amanda went to get their stuff and quietly joined them to do their History of Magic work as well. They were so pre-occupied with their work that they hadn’t noticed the portrait hole open and close of its own accord.

–I’m off to bed,” announced Amanda, yawning.

–Me too,” Marlene said, stifling a yawn of her own.

The two packed up and went up to their warm beds. Lily and Julianna continued to work for another hour before Julianna looked at the clock and noticed it was nearly quarter to midnight.

–I’m starving. I think I’ll head down to the kitchen for a snack,” she announced.

–What - at this time?” asked Lily. –Filch will be about. And what about Peeves?”

–I’ll be quiet,” Julianna said, trying to pacify her.

–It’s your own neck if you get caught,” Lily called after her.

Julianna continued through the deserted corridors. She was aware of the risk sneaking around at night had; she’d spent many nights with James and Sirius in her first two years in detention from such things. Luckily, she really was rather good at sneaking about having grown up with older brothers.

As Julianna neared her destination, she began to get anxious, not because she was afraid of being caught, but because she was excited for whatever they had planned. It really had been too long since she had done something like this.

Julianna stopped suddenly, a sound coming from around the corner. She waited for a moment, and when she was sure it wasn’t approaching, she continued walking.

–Hello?” she whispered when she reached the trophy room.

–No need to whisper,” said Sirius excitedly. –We’ve taken a few precautions just in case.”

Seeing her face, James explained, –We sound-proofed the room so that our shouts won’t be heard.”

–You see, Sirius thought you looked down and could do with some cheering up,” Peter continued.

–And he came up with this little adventure for you,” Remus added.

–I’m really rather shocked he was able to pull it all together,” said James, amused.

–But what exactly will we be doing?” Julianna finally asked.

–Football!” Sirius exclaimed. –We circulated the idea amongst certain trustworthy students who have agreed they’d like to have a match. We wondered where we could possibly have it. And then it struck me: why not in the trophy room? So we huddled together and decided on certain spells that we’d need to cast for it to be safe.”

–There’s an Impervious Charm so that we don’t knock down any of the trophies, not to mention the sound-proofing which was a little tricky,” James continued.

–However, while Filch can’t hear what we’re doing here and be drawn over, that still doesn’t mean he can’t just decide to stroll over and see us. So, we’ve posted a few willing first-years as lookouts to send us a signal if he’s on his way,” said Sirius.

–Or you could have just Confunded him if he got too close,” Julianna said matter-of-factly.

–Too late for that now,” said Remus, wondering how they didn’t think of that.

Julianna was excited. She would enjoy a little football by moonlight. The risk of being caught would make it all the more thrilling, and if they did get caught, well it would be worth it.

But they didn’t get caught. Students from Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw showed up eager to play. The match was getting particularly intense when one of the first-years sent a warning. It was quickly ended as the students quickly and quietly headed toward their common rooms.

It was a tight fit, but Julianna, James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter all huddled under James’ Invisibility cloak and slowly scurried back up to the Gryffindor Tower, their feet uncovered at the bottom. Once back in the safety of their common room, Julianna cried, –That was brilliant!”

Peter and Remus excused themselves to bed; it was now three in the morning. The other three went to sit down by the fire, which was now down to a bed of coals.

James was watching Julianna’s face, which still looked exhilarated from earlier. Unable to contain himself, he asked, –So what’s really going on with you and that Ravenclaw Keeper?”

Sirius looked at him quickly, giving him a look that seemed to say ‘be careful’.

–Back on the train on Monday, he asked me about Friday night,” she started. –It felt like he dared me into it, so I said yes. Then he kept bumping into me between classes where we talked. That’s why I’ve been late. And Lily, being as perceptive as she is, started making a big deal out of it. She ended up talking me out of cancelling.”

–Evans wasn’t against it?” James asked while Sirius remained silent.

–No. I think she’s rather for it.”

–And what about you?” he asked, feeling awkward that they were having this conversation, but still wanting to know.

–At this point I’m really not too sure,” answered Julianna, also feeling awkward, but glad that it was only James and Sirius, not one of her brothers.

–He seems nice, James,” said Sirius, finally speaking.

–I just want to be sure about him,” James said defensively.

–I think she can take care of herself,” Sirius replied. Really, it was none of their business.

–Yes, please don’t act like big brother. I already have two of those, not to mention a little brother who is here,” she said. –Speaking of which,” she continued, –I may be getting another little brother. Mum’s pregnant - I got an owl this morning.”

–What?!”

–Are you sure?”

–They had always talked about another,” Julianna said, nodding.

–Isn’t she too old?” asked Sirius skeptically.

–I don’t’ think so. She’s forty, but it’ll be her fifth. Oh, and she wants to see all of us at Christmas. Not sure why, but make sure your parents do have Sirius over.”

Julianna refrained from telling them her mother also wished to have Lily over as well. She had made a note not to tell anyone the full details. James would become unbearable over the next four months in anticipation of seeing Lily over the break. Lily would never come if knew she would have to see him at least once during the break. No, best to keep them in the dark on this one.

After a while, James went back to their previous conversation saying, –So does it look serious?”

Once again, Sirius shot him a warning look.

–I don’t know,” Julianna said, throwing up her arms. –I think he’s really keen on me, or at least Lily thinks he is. When we’re together, I don’t feel any different. We eat, we talk about Quidditch, and we do homework. But when I think of anything more, the thought scares me. I mean, we’re only fifteen! And it was only one date! It’s hard for me to think about the rest of my life let alone imagine it with one person. Then I worry if I’ll find the right one and want to call it off before it gets too deep and not be worth it in the end. It’s all a mess!”

Both James and Sirius were caught off guard. They hadn’t expected Julianna to be so forthcoming, but have rather more resistance. They also weren’t prepared for something this personal. She never talked about her feelings. She joked and laughed it off; otherwise she’d remove herself entirely from the situation.

They felt a little out of their league. Who were they to have a heart-to-heart with Julianna? Sure, they’d all dated before, but this was the first time any of them had ever been confronted with the prospect of a long-term relationship, even if this was their first date. It therefore took them several minutes before they replied.

–Go with the flow,” said Sirius. –You always do best without much of a plan. See where the ride takes you. If you find he’s still with you at the end, then fine. If he’s not there, then that’s fine too.”

–I think the fact that you’re so confused is a good sign. It means you’re taking it seriously and might make the effort for it to last,” James said.

–Yeah, but it was one date at the start of our fifth year,” she countered. –It was only last night.”

–Then see where it takes you,” said James.

–You didn’t resist this much with anyone else. In fact, they seemed almost like a joke to get you through a week or two,” Sirius recalled.

–Just sleep on it and know that you can talk to us,” said James.

–I know. Thanks for listening,” she replied. She didn’t mean to be so silly, but they had asked and Matt didn’t seem like the others.

The three stood up, then bade each other good night before heading off to bed, each deep in their own thoughts from their somewhat heavy conversation.
--------
Chapter Endnotes: It seems to me that because of his history with Julianna, James could be rather mature when he puts his mind to it. He's curious why his childhood friend isn't talking about it and decides it probably isn't a moment to tease. Nobody's around for him to impress anyway. And Julianna's willingness to speak would also come from their history.


Any guesses as to what's in store for our Muggle Studies class? It'll be revealed in the next chapter, as well as some more Matt/Julianna fluff. (What can I say? They're my favourites at the moment.)