Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Codrington's plans are revealed and Julianna feels spontaneous. Note: This is also fairly Julianna-centric, but I promise much more James and Lily in the future.
--------

It took a long time, but James, Sirius, and Julianna were all able to get to bed and sleep after their serious conversation that night. As luck would have it, Julianna was even able to wake up early for her customary jog before breakfast without any trouble. She had even finished eating before most students had appeared.

After Lily had eaten breakfast, she and Julianna went for a walk on the grounds. Julianna had filled her in about last night with Matt and then about all her confusion which James had brought about. However, she had tactfully left out that she had already had this conversation with James and Sirius.

–I think you should just take it one day at a time,” Lily told her. –I know what you’ll likely say: that it’s just one date, that you can’t base the rest of your life on that -”

–Well you can’t.”

–But that’s no reason to end it either. You can’t just go ending things because you don’t know how you feel otherwise you’ll end up old and alone for the rest of your life.”

–Then what am I supposed to do?”

–See where it takes you. Once you feel something more definite, then you can act on it. Until then just loosen up and enjoy yourself.”

–Never thought I’d hear you say that,” Julianna said in an amused way.

I think he’s gotten to her, Lily thought. And after one date. Nothing would have caused her to feel so confused and wish to talk about it.

They had been walking on the grounds for nearly half an hour. Julianna had grown unusually quiet being so deep in her thoughts. Lily continued to leave her in silence as they made their way back to the castle because of rain.

When Julianna had thought all she could for the time being, she decided to continue wandering around the corridors with Lily. She knew that James and Sirius wouldn’t be up before lunch after that Quidditch practice, football, and their conversation last night. She had time to kill before they could start on her idea.

–So what about you and Gethin?” she asked, unable to think of anything else.

–Pretty much the same as you. He’s really nice and really smart, but I don’t know how serious it is. For now, though, I’ll just keep at it. At the very least he makes for good company and great homework habits.”

–Well then maybe you could help me finish mine. I’m all practiced up, but I’m still behind on papers.”

So they went back to the Gryffindor Tower where they took up seats by the window and continued their homework from the night before. Surprisingly, Amanda and Marlene joined them again after a late breakfast. The four of them worked steadily at their work until lunch where, sure enough, James and Sirius were only just emerging from their beds.

–Late night?” Julianna asked jokingly.

–It was a bit rough,” replied Sirius. He had been knocked over several times by her in her attempts to score. Sirius had mentally made a note to be sure they were on the same team next time.

–Nothing a little massage won’t fix. Right, Evans?” James asked, winking at her and ruffling his bed-head.

–Nobody in their right mind would touch a wart like you.”

–I think a nice hot bath would do the trick,” James continued. –Care to put the bubbles in, Evans?”

–I hope you drown in your bubbles,” retorted Lily before packing up, dragging Julianna with her to get lunch.

–And what a way to go that would be.”

* * *

For the rest of that afternoon, Julianna had managed to get away and start plotting with her four undesirable friends. Lily had gone to the library, somewhat reluctantly, to do her Potions paper with Severus. Amanda and Marlene had once again taken to their Muggle magazines.

With school under way now, Lily noticed Julianna had set up a schedule where she would continue waking up early for a jog, spend her time after classes with Matt, have dinner, go to Quidditch practice, then spend the rest of the evening with Lily.

Despite Julianna’s distance, James and Sirius knew that it wasn’t intentional, and they did get to see her in their classes, during Quidditch, and in the common room. After their late-night conversation, they were reassured that they would not be left in the dark.

The rest of the week had gone by in a flash. Before the students knew it, it was Friday again and Professor Codrington’s fifth year class had forgotten their trip.

The class trundled in early as usual, sat down, and took out their quill and some parchment in anticipation of a lecture. Instead, when Codrington walked in at the start of class, the students were surprised to find he was dressed strangely, as if ready for some adventure.

–As I mentioned last week,” began Codrington, –we will not be having a full class at this time, but merely instructions for later.

–I have spoken to Professor Dumbledore and he has agreed to let me take you on a camping trip this weekend. I have also spoken to your Heads of House and they are aware of this arrangement.”

–But what about Quidditch?” cried James.

–We still have a ton of homework to do,” exclaimed Lori.

–When can we begin?” asked Sirius excitedly.

–There will be no Quidditch practice for any House his weekend, so no one will miss anything. You will also have some free time where you are more than welcome to study.

–This afternoon at two o’clock, we will meet my sixth- and seventh-year classes next to the Quidditch pitch. From there we will walk a short distance into a clearing in the forest where we will spend tonight and tomorrow night in a tent.”

–The Forbidden Forest?”

–Where werewolves are said to be lurking,” said Sirius in a spooky manner. Remus shot him a don’t-make-matters-worse look.

–Yes, the Forbidden Forest. Professor Dumbledore has put some protection in the clearing and surrounding forest for us, so it is perfectly safe where we’ll be.

–However, this is meant to be an educational trip. As this class is Muggle Studies, everything will be done as a Muggle would do it. You will not be allowed to use magic all weekend as our protected area has also been set for no magic to be used. We will get there without magic, set up without magic, prepare our food without magic, and really experience the joys of Muggle camping!

–You will use the rest of the class time now to pack what you will need for the weekend. And think carefully, for we will not come back for anything you may need or have forgotten until Sunday afternoon when we all return.

–If there are no further questions, I will see you with the others at two by the Quidditch pitch,” Codrington concluded.

–Camping? He can’t be serious,” said Rebecca after Codrington left.

–Has anyone ever been camping before?” asked Riley.

–I think he’s having a go at us,” replied Fabian.

–No magic all weekend?” asked Sirius, finally getting up with the rest of the class to leave.

–I think it could be fun,” James said as everyone broke off to head to their dormitory to pack.

–Wait until he sees what Muggle camping’s really like,” Lily whispered to Julianna.

–Why?”

–Because I don’t think he has any idea what we’re in for.”

* * *

Julianna finished packing early. She had decided to pack light and forgo any unnecessary baggage. She was now in the corridors looking for Matt to make use of her extra-long break.

–Done already?”

Julianna spun around and found Matt walking toward her.

–Your packing - it’s all done?”

–Right, you’re going too,” she said after realizing he had continued Muggle Studies. –You could have told me what Codrington was up to.” She punched him playfully.

–And miss this reaction?” he replied, amused.

They walked aimlessly in the corridors together wondering what was in store for that weekend.

–Have you ever been camping before?” asked Julianna.

–Once with my family about ten years ago, but I have a feeling this will be very different. Have you?”

–More like a day trip in my back yard with James. We pretended we were on some fantastic adventure before being called in for dinner,” she said recalling fond memories.

–Should I be jealous?” he asked jokingly.

–Nah. He’s my neighbour and we were seven.”

–I don’t know, mud pies can be pretty binding.”

–Well then I guess there’s no hope,” she said in mock desperation. She had wanted to say that they’d better make some, but something had held her back.

–I’m sure this weekend will be a blast,” Matt said. He had sensed what Julianna was going to say but didn’t. In fact, he was hoping she would have said it.

Matt didn’t know what to think. It had only been a week, but he liked Julianna a lot, however there were times when he wasn’t sure how she felt about him. Not that he was a mushy person; far from it. No, he wasn’t looking for kissing everywhere, cuddling, or even holding hands. It made him nauseous seeing so many couples try hard to show everyone they were together. He knew that would come naturally if that was who they were. What he wanted to know was if Julianna had any sort of attraction for him.

–Are you even listening?”

–Hmm?” He had let his mind wander too long

–Uh-oh, I know that look. A Knut for them?” Julianna asked.

–Look who’s talking now,” Matt Joked.

–Hey, at least I know you better than a few conversations.”

Matt looked at his watch and wondered whether or not he had enough time, and if he did what he would tell her. On the one hand, speaking his mind might turn her off if she wasn’t ready, but it could also speed things up if she was. However, lying would most definitely turn her off no matter what.

–Just thinking stuff,” he answered.

–Mm-hmm.”

Julianna didn’t know what to make of his answer. Did he not want to tell her? Was he afraid to tell her? Or did he not know how she’d take the full answer? Did she want the full answer in that case?

–You know you can talk to people, right?” she said echoing a previous conversation.

–You can be stubborn sometimes, did you know that?”

–One of my many wonderful qualities, I’m sure.”

–And I like you all the more for it,” he said seriously, looking her in the eye as his heart thumped so hard in his chest he was afraid she would see.

Julianna stared back at him, but his eyes were unreadable. Then, acting on impulse, she walked closer to him, closed her eyes, and brought her mouth to his.

* * *

–Where have you been,” Lily asked Julianna.

They were still waiting outside the Potions class, but she had been gone for three quarters of an hour.

–Later,” she said, noting the amount of students now entering the classroom.

Lily gave her a questioning look, but didn’t pursue the matter until they were alone in the dormitory after class. She had waited until she was sure Amanda and Marlene were safely on their way to lunch and they would be alone.

–So where were you before class? When I finished packing I couldn’t find you anywhere,” Lily said. She was prepared to get it out of Julianna because she could tell from the strange look she had during Potions that something had happened.

–I went and found Matt,” Julianna answered.

–And?”

–And nothing,” she avoided.

–Come off it. I can tell something happened. What . . . did you break it off?

–No.”

–Don’t tell me he broke it off? I was so sure he -”

–I kissed him,” Julianna confessed uncomfortably.

Lily didn’t know what to expect, but she wasn’t prepared for that answer. She stood there for a few seconds unsure of what to say.

–Well say something,” Julianna said impatiently.

–Took you long enough,” said Lily, finally snapping out of it.

–Huh?”

–He’s been unsure how you felt about him. It’s been a week and you haven’t given him any kind of hint either way,” explained Lily.

–I wasn’t aware that I had to give a sign. And how do you know?”

–Sev and Gethin aren’t the only ones I’ve seen in the library. He dropped by for a casual talk once before leaving.”

–Oh.”

–He’s been waiting to see if you returned his feelings. And I must admit it’s about time.”

–I see.”

–So what are you going to do about this?”

–I’m just going to see where it leads me. It was a spontaneous, spur of the moment thing. I could just as easily have called it off,” Julianna said stubbornly.

–You’re ridiculous, you know.”

–Funny. That’s what he said.”

Throwing up her arms, Lily said, –I give up. I’m going to lunch.”

--------
Chapter Endnotes: I know this is really short. I had originally intended to combine this with the next chapter, but then it was too long for my liking. I hope to post the next chapter really soon. And who saw that coming with Julianna? I sure didn't!