Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Full House by Nagini Riddle

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Everyone needs a wonderful beta, and I am so lucky to have Vicki/Oregonian as mine!!!!!!
The Full House

"Abraxas, could I possibly talk to you?"

"What is it? I'm a little busy at the moment with these plans."

"That's what I wanted to talk about. You see, I don't like these rumors flying around."

"Rumors?"

"About the Minister. You know, the way everyone is convinced that it was an inside conspiracy that put him out of office."

"I thought I have told you to turn a deaf ear to such gossip."

"And I would, Abraxas, I would, except...well, somehow the conspiracy is thought to be linked to you."

"Rumors, nothing more. They hold less weight than a feather does. Besides, Leach is no longer in office because he wasn't fit for it."

"I don't disagree, Abraxas, but it doesn't mean that other people will believe that. If they put their faith in the rumors, think of what it will do to us!"

"We'll be fine."

"What about Lucius? He has to go to school where all the children will be hooked on their parents' beliefs. How will Lucius cope?"

"He'll be fine! Will you stop your fussing? Lucius knows not to let such things get to his head. It seems he knows that better than his own mother."

"..."

"Now, leave me in peace. These plans are very important, and if I miss one detail, I'll be even worse off."

"Abraxas, please. Just tell me that you won't be ruined by these theories."

"Woman, keep your nose out of politics. It is clear that you don't have the head for them."

"Abraxas, it's our family."

"The rumors will soon die out."

"Well, the rumors might never have started if you hadn't gone around making those speeches about Mudbloods. Now anything that happens to one will lead back to you, including the Minister leaving office."

"You're saying I shouldn't speak up for what I believe in."

"I'm saying that we need to be careful. As much as you may hate it, not everyone is on your side, and they could fight back."

"How little faith you have in me."

"I only wish to protect what we have."

"You think I do not have the same thoughts? That I am doing this to defame my family's name, to squander away the fortune, and to leave us on the streets, mocked and stoned by passing Muggles?"

"No, no, I don't think that."

"Go back to your duties. I expect supper to be ready in an hour."

"Abraxas..."

"What?"

"I do have faith. I just worry, especially about our son."

"Fine. Stop unloading your useless worries onto me."

"Supper will be ready for you. I hope the planning goes well."

"..."

"Okay, then."

---

–Father?”

–Yes, Lucius?”

–May I come in?”

–What for?”

–To discuss the nature of the Ministry.”

–Really? And why would a boy your age be interested in that?”

–Well, did you read The Daily Prophet article about Minister Leach?”

–He is no longer Minister, Lucius.”

–Of course. Mr. Leach.”

–I’ve grown tiresome of the newspaper. You’ll have to enlighten me on what the article was about.”

–It’s blaming his leave on some unknown plot, and you’re thought to be the leader.”

–They’ll never prove anything. Reporters and Aurors need to learn to keep their noses where they belong.”

–I believe you, Father. What I was more interested in was why Mr. Leach was in the post in the first place. He’s a Mudblood, and we’ve never had a Mudblood Minister before. I thought it against the law.”

–I suppose not, seeing as he managed to keep office for six years.”

–Not very well.”

–No, not very well. He couldn’t even quell any of the riots. He couldn’t even stop most of the Wizengamot from walking out when he was appointed. I’m telling you, Lucius, Mudbloods do not belong in office.”

–Then why appoint him in the first place?”

–That is a question I can’t even answer. I suppose that with all the rights’ movements going on, people don’t want to appear to be opposed to the idea of ‘equality,’ and so they side with Squibs and Mudbloods and Muggles.”

–They worry about what other people will think of them, so they choose that?”

–Yes. Apparently, the lay people have numbers on their side, and it seems that those of us with the right idea fear numbers.”

–But Father, if it were made law, everyone would have to obey.”

–If it were law, I don’t think it would matter much. Laws come and go, just as Ministers do.”

–Not all laws.”

–No, not all, but with the way the Ministry works at the moment…”

–…”

–Lucius, I’m going to tell you a secret. The best way to influence is to infiltrate. And the best way to infiltrate is through an exchange.”

–Money.”

–Not just money, Lucius. Powerful money. A Knut isn’t worth anyone’s time, but a thousand Galleons achieve a different story.”

–Is that how Mr. Leach became Minister?”

–Well, we could pretend to believe that, but he isn’t worth a Sickle. No, it was just the pressure from the rights’ activists.”

–And the plot that made him leave?”

–A healthy dose of influence, with a sprinkle of fear. You see, the right wizard with the money, influence, respect, and power is feared among all men.”

–And you’re the right wizard, correct?”

–My father was greater, but I have done my best to pass on his legacy. At the moment, I’m holding all the cards. And one day, you will, too.”

"What about the rights' activists?"

"It's hard to say. I mean, technically everyone is a rights' activist. They just fight for different privileges."

"We're on the winning side, right?"

"We have the upper hand. And we will as long as we have influence."

"Why is Mother so upset over this?"

"She thinks we're going to lose everything. She's afraid of what people are going to do to us."

"Because of what happened to Mr. Leach?"

"Yes. You see, Lucius, she is afraid that they will connect me to his leave. But they won't, because I have made sure that I did not have direct involvement. That's very important. You always need to cover your tracks. That way, if anything goes wrong, you can't get blamed."

"But what if you were to be blamed, Father?"

"There is always a way to get around it. The right influence with the right official goes a long way."

"You have to hold all the cards, right?"

"Right."

"...and make sure they have washed their hands for supper..."

"That would be your mother, sending the house-elf. You better go wash up, or she will have a fit."

"Okay. Father?"

"Yes, Lucius?"

"I'm not afraid."

"I know, Lucius. Now hurry to supper."

"Okay."
Chapter Endnotes: Politics--you gotta love them. :)