Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Trouble With Kids . . . by Secret Marauder 90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry wanders off, James acts like a father, and a little fluffy cuteness.
--------

It was an ordinary August day in London. Much too ordinary if truth be known, but nothing could be done about that. Londoners were used to the overcast skies and not-so-warm weather.

Somewhere in London, a family was making their way to somewhere ordinary. In fact, the pub was rather shabby-looking and most people simply walked passed it, as if it wasn’t there. It was a strange location for a family to be going, but this was no ordinary family, and that was not their destination.

James Potter led his family inside, pleasantly acknowledging those who greeted them, and then proceeded to the back where he took out a rather ordinary stick of wood. With it, he tapped a brick on the wall in front of him and something quite extraordinary happened - the brick wall moved.

You see, James Potter was a wizard, and his wooden stick was really a wand. He and his family were on their way to Diagon Alley, a sort of magical marketplace, to buy school supplies for the two eldest children.

–Oh, Daddy, isn’t it wonderful?” said the little girl clinging to his hand.

–But you’ve already seen me do that several times, Dani,” James responded, but he couldn’t resist smiling at the wonder on his daughter’s face.

–Mum, why can’t I go to Hogwarts yet?” whined Gareth, his brown eyes watering over. Ever since his big brother had started going to the magical school, he had wanted to as well because his big brother was the best and he wanted to be just like him.

–In a couple of years, Gareth,” said his mother, Lily, squeezing his hand.

–Well I can’t wait! I bet it’s wonderful!” said Danielle, her voice still full of awe.

–It’s school. How wonderful can it be?” her big brother Harry said. –Now let’s go before we get crushed because we’ve waited too long.”

James sighed, sharing a look with his wife, and continued into Diagon Alley. He had been delighted when Harry began to look like him - what father wouldn’t? And when Harry had made the Quidditch team in his first year, James had been over the moon and attended the first game with his three best mates. But there seemed to be something about Harry, and James wasn’t quite sure what to do about it.

The family went all around getting Danielle’s wand, cauldron, books, and even a cat. However, late in the afternoon, there were still things to be done and her brothers were rather bored.

–Mum, I’m tired. Can’t we go sit down?” asked Gareth, tugging on Lily’s arms which were full of supplies.

–Dad, she still needs her robes and that’ll take hours!” exaggerated Harry. –Can’t I go look around? I am thirteen now, after all.”

–James, why don’t I take Gareth to Florean’s and you stay with Dani while she gets fit,” said Lily, wishing to unburden her arms. –Harry can look around while we do and then meet us at Florean’s in an hour.”

Sighing, James replied, –Alright. There may not be enough room for us all, anyway. It looks crowded.” Turning to face his eldest son, he said, –You heard your mother - Florean’s in an hour. And if you start now, you might get a peek at that new broom. They say all the professionals have bought a Firebolt for the Cup next year.”

–Yes!” Harry cried, punching the air and bolting before his parents could change their mind. He thought he had seen a few friends in a shop not far away.

–Let him be,” said Lily. She had seen the look on James’ face when Harry left, wanting to call after him on last thing. Swiftly giving her husband a kiss on the cheek, she added, –We’ll see you in an hour.”

–Come on, Daddy! Let’s go,” cried Danielle impatiently, dragging her father into Madam Malkin’s.

Once inside, James immediately wished he had switched places with Lily. It was a nightmare in there; a regular zoo.

–Are you sure we can’t come back later?” asked James. Really, there should be cages to keep them all back.

–Please?” Danielle begged.

It only took one look from her that made James change his mind. Her eyes could be deadly when she wanted. James made a mental note to tell Sirius off for having taught her the look. It could only have been him.

As they waited, James began speaking with some of the other parents. It turned out they were much the same age. Soon they had recognized each other and began catching up and reminiscing about Hogwarts. It took even less time for Danielle to talk with the other new students. She was chatting away with them about anything that popped up and everyone was only too keen on joining in.

–Do you remember that time where Snape was chased around by that statue?” asked a parent.

–Remember? It was my idea!” cried James.

–Classic,” someone else said, laughing along.

–And the time when Snape’s hair almost caught fire standing too close to his cauldron?” the parent asked again.

–No! Where was I?” asked another parent.

–Didn’t take Advance Potions, did you? Well, you would have been spared in the grease fire,” commented James.

–Unfortunately not. But I was there for the Easter Bunny Massacre of ’75.”

–I remember it took us forever to figure that one out,” replied James.

–Or the Sunday Sprint to the Astronomy Tower.”

–That was genius! I never remember if it was Sirius’ idea or mine,” he said.

–Oh, and the time when someone decided to make Defense more practical so they sent Snape running while we used him as a moving target to practice Stunning.”

–The Stun Run!”

–Another classic of ours,” cried James. He shouldn’t be this happy, especially looking back at what he and his friends had made Snape do, but they were good times.

–Daddy, who’s Snape?” asked Danielle. No one had noticed the children had all stopped talking and were listening to their parents’ conversation instead.

–Just an old school mate of ours,” said James evasively. If he wasn’t more careful, he’d have a lot more explaining to do.

–That’s one way to put it,” said a new voice, but it wasn’t so new to James.

–Uncle Remi!” cried Danielle, launching herself at the newcomer.

–Moony, how’d you find us through this lot?” James asked, indicating the still-growing crowd around them.

–I bumped into Lily and she told me I’d find you here,” Remus replied. He was still hugging Danielle who was hanging off of his neck and refusing to let go.

James gave a small grin to which Remus only shrugged and hugged tighter. And what else could he do but hug back his goddaughter? He had been honoured when he found out, and was exceptionally glad she was fond of him. Privately, she would always hold a special place in his heart, and not because he was her godfather. There was something about the little girl that was magical.

–Alright, Dani, that’s enough. Let go of Uncle Remus before you suffocate him,” said James, prying her arms off and putting her down. He gave his friend a look when she determined to look disappointed and defiantly grabbed Remus’ hand, but Remus only shrugged again.

After a few moments of silence, or as silent it could get in a crowd, James made a few observations before smirking. To Remus, he said, –Don’t look now, Moony, but that witch over there is trying to catch your attention.”

–I know, but I wonder why,” said Remus. He had noticed the witch as well, but also noted she was about ten years younger than him.

–Because you have my adorable child attached to your arm, and women have a soft spot for children and men who are good with kids. Brings out motherly instincts or something of the sort, don’t you know,” James said, winking at him.

–That’s because it’s Dani.”

–Come on - you get along great with Harry.”

–That’s because Sirius and I tell him of the Marauders’ adventures and then he goes off trying to best us.”

–A chip off the old block,” James said proudly.

–Speaking of which, isn’t that him now? With a few Weasley boys?”

Turning to look out the window, James saw his son vanish with three flaming heads of red hair, quite unlike Lily’s own dark red hair. Where they were coming from and where they were going to was a mystery, but James didn’t like the looks on their faces.

–Let them be, Prongs. Don’t you want your son to leave his own legacy?”

Finally Madam Malkin came around to fitting Danielle. While this was happening, James began to let his thought wander to Harry and he began to fume a little. Slowly and carefully, Remus was able to edge away and speak with the witch.

When all was said and done, Remus had discovered the witch’s name, and now James was stuck carrying all of his daughter’s new robes as Danielle had grabbed Remus’ hand once again and was leading them out.

Lily had already bought Gareth two ice creams by the time they all returned. When they arrived, she asked, –What took you so long?”

–The wild animals were let out of their cages to run loose and it took a while to round them up. But Remus did interest a young tiger. Eh, Moony?” said James, nudging him with his elbow.

–She’s a witch, not an animal, Prongs.”

–So, what’s her name?” Lily asked encouragingly.

–Where’s Harry?” Remus said, changing the subject.

–I don’t know what to do with that boy of yours, James. Your son has completely lost his mind and is taking his friends down with him. I don’t care if he is your son, but your blood is too strong. Take care of it,” said Lily accusingly.

–My son? He’s your son too! Why is it when I’s something bad, he mine and I have to be the one to punish him, but when it’s something that’s good, you’re only too pleased to be his mother?” cried James. This was ridiculous! How was this, whatever it was, his fault?

–Because he’s just like you!”

–What’s that supposed to mean? I didn’t see you complaining when you married me!” said James. He loved her, there was no doubt about that, and he was positive she loved him, but despite all they had gone through, there would always be that little bit of their old selves creeping in now and then. The part that argued over trivial matters, particularly ones going back to his arrogant, pranking youth.

Not wanting to get caught up in the middle of their parental issues, Remus said, –Well, I have to get back home. But I’ll drop by tomorrow, Prongs.”

–See you, Moony,” said James, shaking his hand.

Crouching down, Remus gave Danielle a hug saying, –I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

–Don’t go! You only just got here!” cried Danielle, clinging tighter in the hopes of holding him there longer.

–Tomorrow, okay? I promise.”

–Promise-promise?” she asked, looking at him with eyes the same colour as James’ with the ability to make anyone cave just like Sirius.

–I’ll even have a surprise.” He couldn’t resist those eyes.

–Really? Oh, how wonderful!” she said, hugging him tighter still. In a small whisper so only he could hear, she whispered, –I love you, Uncle Remi.”

–Love you too, Dani,” Remus replied in a whisper. Straightening up, he said out loud, –Until tomorrow. See you then, little hen!”

–In a bit, hippogryph!” Danielle responded.

–Bye, Remus,” said Lily.

Waving at them all, he turned on the spot and vanished.

James was still staring at the spot Remus had vacated only moments before when he noticed the figure of his son heading their way. He ran his hands through his hair wondering what in Merlin’s name he should say. Luckily, he was saved from that task as his wife was the first to speak.

–And where do you think you’ve been, young man?” asked Lily heatedly, crossing her arms and staring at Harry as she waited for an answer.

–You were supposed to meet us here over twenty minutes ago,” James added. He though it would be best if he was right there with her on this matter - which he was. And now that things were rolling, it was becoming much easier.

–With Fred, George, and Ron,” said Harry, trying to look innocent.

–Don’t think you can fool me with that look of yours, mister. Who do you think invented it?” said James. Nicely played, he thought to himself.

–We were just wandering around like you said I could. I guess we just lost track of time,” Harry continued with a shrug. He began shifting a little in his seat.

James picked up on this at once and asked in a grave, and rather scary, voice, –I won’t ask you again. Now - where have you been?”

Harry knew he had done something wrong - had actively and quite intentionally done it. There was no getting out of this mess, but he averted his eyes nonetheless. Really, he had no idea it would take them that long, and he had meant to be back before anyone would notice.

–Harry James Potter, your father asked you a question,” said his mother, her voice dangerously low.

James could barely hear him as Harry muttered quietly, but by some small miracle he did. It was also a miracle that James didn’t completely lose it when he did hear him.

–YOU WERE WHERE?” yelled James, loud enough to make his family wince and passersby to stare. This would have to be taken care of at home.

--------
Chapter Endnotes: This is just something that's been floating around in my head for a while. I don't intend for this to be too long; only about two more chapters are planned. Hope you enjoyed it so far! And leave a review!