Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Birthday Kiss by LittleGinny

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +



It was Wednesday - Harry’s birthday - and Ginny was nervous. Hermione had assured her that she would make certain Ginny got to speak in private with Harry, but nevertheless she was anxious. She was so restless that she had gotten up at 7:30, eaten breakfast and rushed back upstairs, just to avoid him. When Hermione had gotten up for breakfast, she wished Ginny good luck and promised to deal with Ron. Ginny paced the room until she heard footsteps.

–-aiting for the rest of your pants to come out of the wash, Ron-”
Hermione was saying. Ginny took a deep breath, preparing herself, and pushed her door open.

–Harry, will you come in here a moment?” Ginny said, trying to keep her voice steady and casual. Harry looked up; she hadn’t seen his emerald green eyes looking into hers for weeks. She very nearly faltered, and had to stop herself thrusting a pair of odd socks into his arms and blabbering about passing them along to Dobby as an excuse.

Harry took a step towards her, pushing his hair off his face. Ron stopped still, but Hermione grabbed his elbow and dragged him up the stairs, giving Ginny a small encouraging smile.

Harry followed Ginny into the bedroom. He looked scared stiff, but his awkwardness was one thing that Ginny loved most about him. She forced a calm demeanor upon herself; doing a better job of hiding her anxiety than Harry was.

She looked up finally, watching him take in his surroundings. She’d forgotten; he’d never been in her room before. She took a breath and made herself look into Harry’s face.

–Happy seventeenth.”

He looked lost. –Yeah… thanks,” he replied uncertainly.
Using all her courage, she looked at him steadily. He wouldn’t look her in the eye.
What has happened, she wondered. We’re so nervous, like two 12 year olds meeting for the first time.
–Nice view,” he said, eyeing the golden flag of the marquee outside the window.

Ginny ignored that and went for it. –I couldn’t think what to get you.” Her confidence was building, slowly, but at least she seemed more comfortable than Harry.

–You didn’t have to get me anything,” he told her, staring fixedly at her Gwenog Jones poster.

–I didn’t know what would be useful,” she said, unrelenting in her rehearsed speech. –Nothing too big, because you wouldn’t be able to take it with you.”

She didn’t need the mental pep talk to take the step closer to him. She had to keep herself talking, instead of closing the gap too fast.

–So then I thought,” she continued smoothly. –I’d like you to have something to remember me by, you know, in case you meet some Veela when you’re off doing whatever you’re doing.” The nights of the past week, last night in particular, had been spent planning these words.

–I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest,” he mumbled.

Her heart leapt; this was the Harry she adored.

–There’s the silver lining I’ve been looking for,” she whispered. She still had the rest of her little speech to finish and she didn’t remember deciding to do it, but the next thing she knew she had taken the last step. She felt the moment their lips connected, felt the warmth of his breath. She was kissing him. He kissed her back. It wasn’t like any kiss they’d shared before. Ginny lost herself in the magic of it, how natural it was, how easy, how right.

She wrapped one arm around his waist, the other pressed against his shoulder. She pulled herself as close to him as she could; it still wasn’t close enough. The tips of her fingertips brushed the skin at his collar. She pushed her lips harder against his. She’d thought she’d forgotten the feel of his lips, the taste, and his smell. Now she knew she could never forget. She often caught an aroma that reminded her of Harry. It had always distracted her from whatever she was doing, without fail.

She didn’t know how long they’d been there, she didn’t really care. It was so sweet, so simple. The more she kissed him, the more she wanted. She wanted this to last forever. It was perfec-

The door thudded open. They whirled around, Harry leapt away from her. Ron was standing there, Hermione rushing to catch up. She looked scared.

–Oh!” said Ron. –Sorry.” He didn’t look sorry.

–Ron!” Hermione was a little out of breath.

Ginny’s heart sank. She was full of humiliation, disappointment and anger.

Ron’s ears were bright red, his signature trademark of embarrassment. Ginny looked carefully at Harry, trying to read his face. Disappointment, anger, frustration. She was near tears. It had been perfect, just as she’d planned.

Ginny used every ounce of effort left in her and spoke flatly, –well, happy birthday anyway, Harry.” She turned her back to them all.

Ginny felt the rare feeling of tears welling up. She tried to fight it. Not here, not now. She didn’t want to cry in front of Harry. But she felt a tear roll down her cheek anyway. Part of her yearned for Harry to slip an arm around her, pull her close, but she was glad that he didn’t try to comfort her in front of Ron. She knew that he understood her in that way.

–I’ll see you later,” he said hurriedly, as he left the room. She knew he would have his head down and wouldn’t be making eye contact with anybody.

Hermione looked up before she left, mouthing a ‘sorry’. She didn’t blame Hermione. She didn’t even blame Ron. She was furious with him now, but she was rational enough to know she’d forgive him later. Ginny lay on her bed and gave into the tears.

Within a few moments, Ginny sat up and slouched against the wall. She looked at the clock - her cry had barely lasted a minute. It was windy outside and the window was open a crack. She moved to close it and saw Harry, Ron and Hermione in the garden. It looked like they were arguing. Ron and Harry were facing each other and Hermione was standing next to Ron, looking frightened. Ginny reached down under her bed and pulled out an Extendable Ear. She put one end into her ear and the other out of the still open window.

–-really cut up when you ended it,” Ron said.

–So was I,” snapped Harry. –You know why I stopped it, and it wasn’t because I wanted to.”

–Yeah,” Ron said angrily. –But you go snogging her now and she’s just going to get her hopes up again-”

–She’s not an idiot.” Harry was nearly shouting now.

Ginny plopped onto the bed, her shoulders hunched.

–She knows it can’t happen. She’s not expecting us to- to end up married, or…”

The words punched Ginny in the chest. Marriage was not something she thought of often, but it was a part of her future that she hoped would happen one day. There was no one other than Harry that she could see herself sharing a life with.

Did he mean that he wasn’t interested in marrying her? Or that maybe he didn’t expect to live long enough... She didn’t know which hurt her more.

Ginny realized her Extendable Ear had come loose and hurriedly put it back in her ear.

–It won’t happen again. OK?” Harry spat.

Ron looked upset, regretful. –Right then. Well, that’s… yeah,’ he said before turning and returning to the house. Hermione trotted after him and Harry was half a second behind them.

Ginny replaced the Extendable Ear and stared at the wall. She was numb. She knew it was foolish, making a big deal over nothing, really. She was relieved when Hermione timidly knocked on the door a few minutes later.

–Come in,” she called expressionlessly. Hermione sat on the bed next to her.

–Ginny, I’m so sorry. I had him but your Mum sent him to do some dishes. She’s been trying to keep us from planning. Before I realized he’d barged through your door. I…”

–Hermione,” Ginny nearly laughed at how worked up her friend was getting.

–It’s fine. It’s not your fault. Not even Ron’s really, the git.” Ginny sighed. They sat in silence, Hermione’s arm around Ginny’s small frame.

–I don’t even know why I’m upset,” she said at last. –I-I heard the argument in the garden,” she admitted. Ginny held up the Extendable Ears in explanation.

–Oh,” said Hermione softly.

–I don’t know- something about realizing we won’t be married- like it’s really over. I’ve just, always kept hoping this is temporary. That we’ll be like we were last year, after this war,” Ginny confessed. Hermione leaned her head on Ginny’s shoulder.

–Hermione?” Ginny asked after a long silence. –Do you ever think about marrying my brother?”

Hermione turned scarlet.

–Is it stupid of me to assume that Harry would want to-–

–Ginny,” Hermione interrupted sternly. –Harry loves you, he cares for you so deeply. I think he does want to marry you but all he can see right now is - Voldemort.”

–So,” said Ginny uncertainly. –You think, after the war, he’ll want to be with me?”

–I’m almost certain,” said Hermione.

THE END

Chapter Endnotes: Thank you very much for reading. Please review with all your thoughts. I would love the feedback.