Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

My Life with a Werewolf by TonksForever36

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 3-Hogsmeade and Hexes

I woke up in a very cold room. The fire had died down during the night. I turned over and saw Remus, who was still asleep. He had transformed back. I gave him a kiss and walked over to the fireplace and relit it. I realised we would need some food, so I decided to use the secret passage the Room of Requirement had given us.

I walked down seven flights of stairs and into the kitchens. The house elves were still asleep. Amazingly, I did not wake any of them up. I took some eggs, bacon, sausage, tea, and pumpkin juice and put them into my rucksack. I walked back up the passageway put the food by the fireplace and saw that Remus had woken up.

"Hi, Dora." he said.

"Wotcher, sweetheart." I said, walking over to him and giving him a kiss.
"Are you hungry?"

"A little, Dora, but what I could use now is help getting up. If you sit behind me and put your hands on my back, that could help."

I did so, and with a bit of pain, helped Remus sit up. I put the pillows behind his back and told him to lean back against me. I gave him a back rub for a few minutes until his muscles loosened up, then I went to the fireplace to cook breakfast. I'm not much of a cook, and I think I burned a little, but Remus said it smelled great.

I put it on plates and carried it over to the bed. We had a nice romantic breakfast in bed. As difficult as it was to leave him, I had promised both myself and Remus that I would research the Wolfsbane potion in the library. Even I couldn't find a way to make it taste better, I would feel better knowing that I tried.

Before I left, Remus gave me a mirror. He had one also, and explained to me that they were two-way mirrors and witches and wizards used them to communicate. All we have to do is say each others name into one and we could communicate.

On the way to the library I ran into Harry, who told me it was a Hogsmeade weekend, and asked if Remus and I were going to go. I told him I had to see how he felt, and if he felt ok, we would go. Right before I got to the library, I ran into Umbridge, who gave a look of death but said nothing. I smiled at her and kept walking, knowing we had as much right as anyone else to be there

I went to Madame Pince and asked if she had any books about werewolves. She gave me a lot including some from the restricted section. I read through some of them, but had not found any information when a brown haired girl with pigtails and brown eyes, who was obviously very angry, threw herself into the seat across from me.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's alright," I replied. "Why are you so upset? Did you get a bad grade on an exam?"

"No, I got insulted by a Slytherin. They think they are better than everyone. I got called a Mudblood."

"What's your name, sweetheart?" I asked

"Graciee, with two e's" she said. "I'm a first year and a half-blood."

"So am I, my dad is a Muggle-born and my mum is a pure blood. She was sorted into Slytherin and was supposed to marry a pure-blood wizard, but she still fell in love with my dad."

"I tried to explain to the boy who insulted me that I was a half-blood and a Hufflepuff which only made it worse. He said Hufflepuff never made any good witches."

"Let me ask you a question." I said. "Have you ever met a witch by the name of Nymphadora Tonks?"

"No, I haven't." she said.

"You have now," I replied, standing up and showing her my house tie, which I was wearing as a belt.

"You're a Hufflepuff, Nymphdora?" she said with a smile.

"Yes, I am. I used to be embarrassed by it, but as I grew up, I realised we are as just as good as the other houses, mainly because something a friend of mine told me that the sorting hat said once. "You might belong in Hufflepuff where they are just and loyal. Those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil." I know it may not seem like this now, but one day I promise you will realise how true the sorting hat is."

"Nymphadora, would you like to come back to the Common Room and meet my friends?"

"Sure, and call me Tonks. I am going to finish my research and I'll be with you in about half an hour. Is that ok?"

"Yes, that's fine. I have some homework to finish, and then my friends and I have to get ready for Hogsmeade visit."

As she got up to leave, I saw a red cut on her hand. I knew it could only be one thing.

"Graciee, were you given detention with Professor Umbridge?" I asked

"Yes, she made me write 'I will not talk to my friends in class'," she said. "I know that I was Tonks, but we were just looking for a way to pass the time, instead of that boring reading. That's all we've done. She is not teaching us how to defend ourselves!"

"Graciee, go back your common room, and wait for me," I said. "I'm not sure what I can do right now, but I promise I am going to talk to my friends and see if anything can be done."

Graciee left and I read for another half an hour, unfortunately finding nothing that could help Remus. That and what happened to Emily made me upset, I needed a break so I walked over to the window, looking out at the snow. I became upset and started to cry. Draco showed up, and I turned to him, saying, "Draco Lucius, if you have something to say, please say it. Otherwise, please leave me alone."

I knew Draco wanted to say something, but for once he decided not to, and walked away. I continued to stare out the window and cry, when Professor McGonagall showed up. She realised I was very upset, and asked why. I asked her if we would mind speaking in her classroom. She said of course not.

I told her the entire story of what happened between last night and this morning. She realises that I do sincerely love Remus and is proud of me that I would do anything to help him. She suggested I take a break. I told her I was going to and spend some time with a new Hufflepuff friend.
I went down to the Hufflepuff basements, tapped the password on the barrels, and went it to the common room I had not been in since I was 17 years old. Graciee and her friends, Emily and Iona were waiting for me on the couches and chairs. I introduced myself. They had a lot of questions for me such as why was my hair blue. I told them I was a Metamorphmagus and not only I could change my hair color and my facial features and I also can change my entire appearance which I very rarely did, unless it absolutely necessary. I showed them my duck and pig faces, which made them laugh, just like it made Ginny laugh, and made them want to learn how to become a Metamorphagus. I had to explain to them that I was born with this ability, and that is not something you can learn.

We talked and ate candy until I heard Remus calling me on the two-way mirror.

"Wotcher, sweetheart," I said, which made all the girls giggle. I realised I probably shouldn't have said that, because the next thing the girls asked "Are you dating Professor Lupin?" I accidentally said yes, then I changed my answer to no, then to maybe.

Remus interrupted, saying it was ok if the girls knew as long as they kept it secret. Secrets are safe with Hufflepuffs.

While I was talking to Remus, I thought I overheard the students talking about Umbridge, saying that she was accusing Muggle-borns of stealing magic. I was so shocked I nearly dropped my mirror. I handed to mirror to my friend and told her to tell Remus what she had heard. In Defence the Dark Arts yesterday Umbridge began to question the blood status of students. Several students, including my new friends said they were Muggle-born. Umbridge said that all Muggle-borns were squibs and they must have stolen their magical powers. When they tried to stand up to Umbridge, they were given detention on the spot and forced to write "I must not tell lies" and "I must not steal magical powers." with the Blood Quill.

They gave me back the mirror and I confessed to them that I had been punished with the Blood Quill. Remus said I should come back and we needed to gather the other Aurors, although I knew he meant Order members for an emergency meeting. My friends asked what an Auror was. I told them it was a dark wizard hunter and that I was one.

I left the common room and went back to the Room of Requirement. Remus said we should have another Order meeting as soon as possible. I asked if we should still go to Hogsmeade. Remus said that we should, because it may help us gain information from other Order members who were patrolling Hogsmeade. I changed into my fleece-lined boots and long red coat.

As soon as Remus and I went to Hogsmeade we went to Honeydukes and bought more candy. I gave my friends some Bertie Botts and chocolate. I bought some for Remus and I too. Shortly after we left, we were walking down High Street, holding hands, when I saw my mum and dad.

"Hello, Dora," my father said. "I didn't know you would be here today with Professor Lupin."

"Wotcher, Dad. Remus and I are patrolling Hogsmeade today," I said, although it was technically a lie.

My mum, who had just come out of the Three Broomsticks, asked

"Nymphadora, if you are on a simple patrol with Remus, then why are you holding hands with him?"

I sighed and looked at Remus, who said, "Dora, I think we need to tell your parents the truth. They deserve that."

"All right, Remus. Mum, Dad, if we can go to the Three Broomsticks, I'll tell you what has happened in the past day."

We went inside and sat in the back by the fireplace. I took a deep breath and said, "Mum, Dad, there is no easy way to say this, but please just listen. I'm in love with Remus, we've been together for a day, but we've both loved each other for a long time."

"Nymphadora," my mum said. "When you first joined the Order, Dumbledore told us all the members. He also mentioned any strength and weaknesses they have. We that Remus is a-"

"Mum!" I exclaimed. "Please not here. Remus and I are having enough troubles without you reminding him of what he is!"

"Dora, it's all right." Remus said. "As Dora's parents I understand your concern about my condition. I assure you that I wouldn't to anything to hurt her."

"Mum, Dad, there's something you need to know." I cast Muffilato by where we were sitting and began to tell the story. "For the next 8 days of the full moon, I volunteered my flat as a place for Remus to stay. It started out fine until the second day, when Dolores Umbridge somehow found out what we were doing. She confronted me at the Ministry and in her words said I "was harboring a filthy half-breed". She then cast Imperius on Remus and I, but she did not know I was taught in my Auror training that I was taught to resist the Unforgivable curses. She took us to her office and she forced me to use her Blood Quill and write "I will not harbor filthy-half breeds", but instead I wrote "I will always love Remus John Lupin." This angered her and she tried to use the killing curse on us, but we Apparated to Hogsmeade. We had an emergency meeting of the Order in the Shrieking Shack."

"Nymphadora," my mum interrupted. "Why did you and the Order have a meeting in the most haunted house in Britain? Weren't you worried about the spirits attacking you?"

"Mum, the Shrieking Shack was never haunted. It's where Remus would once a month during the full moon, so no one would fine out what he was, and so he couldn't hurt anyone. The noises were made by him."

"You believe this, Dora?" my dad asked.

"Yes, I do. If you saw the inside of the Shrieking Shack, I think you would, also."

"Nymphadora, we understand that you want to help Remus, but we need to know that you are indeed safe, and that Remus cannot hurt you."

"I understand that," Remus said. "Every day of the full moon, I take a potion called Wolfsbane, it can't stop me from transforming, but it allows me to keep my human mind when I do. I simply curl up by the fireplace and sleep, a harmless wolf until the sun rises."

My mum and dad seemed satisfied with our answers and got up to leave, but I asked them if they could wait a minute. "In the past 2 days I have had the time to do a lot of thinking," I said. "I've realised something."

"What have you realised, Dora?" my dad asked.

"I've always thought I was more like you, Dad. But I've now realised that I am a lot more like mum than I've thought. She risked everything to be with Dad. You were disowned by the family, and burned off the family tree, and I'm not even on it, and that hurts. I know that being with Remus will not get me back in the families good graces, but I don't care. I love Remus, like you love dad, and I am willing to risk everything to be with him."

My mum looked at me with understanding, and gave me a hug. We got up to leave, and on our way out, we ran into Roma, whose arm was in a cast. Remus and I looked at each other in shock.

"Roma, what in the name of Merlin happened to your arm?" Remus asked.

"Let's sit down so you can tell us," I said.

Remus and I sat down again and Roma told us her story.

"I was patrolling Hogwarts yesterday, when I heard from Severus that an emergency Order meeting had been called in the Shrieking Shack. I began to head towards the gates of the castle so I could Apparate when I tripped. I hit my arm on one the staircase railings. I didn't think much of it until I saw Umbridge putting away her wand. I think she overheard Severus and I although we were several feet away. I think she cast the tripping jinx to stop me. My arm began to hurt, I had not felt it break when I hit it, but the pain became so severe I decided to Apparate to St. Mungos instead so Ronan could check my arm. He confirmed that it was indeed broken. Ronan tried to use Episkey to heal it, but it didn't work. He's trying to find out why. I told him what happened and that I believed this was Umbridge's fault. He told McGonagall and Dumbledore his suspicions, and they told me what happened to you yesterday."

"This is getting very serious, Roma," Remus said. "Punishing students and sacking teachers is one thing, but if she is attacking Order members and Aurors, then she obviously knows that we are fighting against Voldemort."

"I agree Remus, I could try to tell Scrimgeour, but I don't see how that would help. I don't know how Umbridge is doing this but it seems she has eyes and ears everywhere."

"This is exactly how it happened last time. I put my trust in the wrong person, two of my friends ended up dead." Remus said.

Remus looked at his watch and said, "It's getting dark, we better get back to Hogwarts. Are you going to be all right, Roma?"

"Yes, I'll be fine. I am going to stay at headquarters until my arm heals."
I hugged Roma goodbye, and we started to head back up to Hogwarts, running into Harry, Ron and Hermione on the way. Hermione asked if my hand was ok, saying that Harry had noticed that it had the signs of the Blood Quill. I told her it felt better, but the cut itself didn't seem to be healing. Hermione pulled something from her coat, explaining it was Murtlap essence. She told me to soak my hand in it, saying it would help the cut to heal. I thanked her and put it in my coat pocket. When we reached the gates of Hogwarts, I saw my mum standing there.

"Mum, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I decided I wanted to have a talk with Professor Umbridge about the way she treated you and Remus."

"Mrs. Tonks," Remus said. "I understand that you are angry about this, but-"
"Remus, Umbridge is not going to get away with this, I know what happens if you try to stand up to her, but if tries to use the Blood Quill on me, she may not live to see tomorrow, and, Remus, please call me Andromeda."

Remus and I looked at each other and smiled, somehow knowing my mum had accepted our relationship. We went up to the third floor. I know mum wanted us to wait outside, but we wouldn't have listened. She climbed the stairs to Umbridges' office and knocked on the door. She told my mum to come in.

"Are you Professor Umbridge?" she asked.

"Yes, I am. Have you come here to talk about your child?"

"Actually, yes I have," my mum replied.

"What is your child's name? I'm sure we can come to a satisfactory resolution."

"My daughter's name is Nymphadora Andromeda Tonks, and I just wanted to say that you will never come near her, Remus John Lupin, or any other student in this school ever again!"

"What will happen if I do?"

"I can't do this, but Nymphadora can, and she will make sure you do not live to see tomorrow."

I know I am allowed to use the Killing Curse, but I don't think I will ever have the courage to use it. I can't even bring myself to say the words.
Umbridge looked at my mum in stunned silence and remained that way while she turned and left the office. We went downstairs to the Great Hall.

My mum left and we had dinner, Remus at the Gryffindor table and I at Hufflepuff. We didn't see Umbridge the entire time. I know I should be worried, but I didn't care.

Just as dinner was finishing up, Harry told me he saw Umbridge standing outside the doors with some Slytherins behind her, including Draco, his cronies, and the rest of the Inquisitorial Squad. I should have known they'd be on her side. Remus and I looked at each other, got up from our tables, and walked out into the entry hall

Remus and I stood and stared at Professor Umbridge, waiting for her to say something. She never did and she in the Slytherins started to back away. Remus and I looked at each other, confused. It was then I began to sense that students were standing behind us, more than were standing behind Umbridge, each student that had been tortured with the Blood Quill.

The castle doors opened and Roma, Ronan, and the rest of the Order members, not including Sirius walked in and stood next to us. Umbridge threatened us all with the Blood Quill. I responded by saying she doesn't have enough to torture all of us. Umbridge said that one was all she needed. She reached into her pocket, but realised she didn't have it. Remus reached it into his coat pocket and pulled out the Blood Quill.

"Remus, how in the name of Merlin did you get that?" I asked.

"I took it yesterday when she wasn't looking. Dora, as the last person who was tortured with this, I think you should decide what to do with it."

"I would like nothing more than to break this in half, Remus," I said. "But I don't think I have the strength to do that. I would break it with my wand, but what's the satisfaction in that?"

"I think you'd get more satisfaction if you step on it Tonks," came the voice of one of the Weasley twins. Merlin knows I can't tell them apart. Roma, as if she'd read my mind, said it was George.

I put the quill on the floor, and crushed it into nothing under the heel of my boot. The entire group of students and all the Order members cheered. Umbridge and the Slytherins pulled their wands, but all of us already had ours out. Realising they were outnumbered, they turned and walked away. I know we won a battle, even if we haven't won the war.

I turned to Remus and leaned in to kiss him. We both wondered if it was a good idea, but decided we didn't care. The entire room started to laugh and cheer. They went back to their respective common rooms and Remus and I went back to our room.

As soon as we got inside and the doors had closed, we started to laugh. After we had calmed down, we decided to toast, Remus with his potion and I with some pumpkin juice. I had a bath, and Remus and I sat on the bed and ate Bertie Botts for about 5 minutes. Afterwards we got into a discussion about Patronuses. Iona asked why they took on the shape they did for them. I said that I wasn't really sure, but I thought that they took the shape of an animal you liked or had some attachment to. Remus asked me what mine was, I showed him that it took the shape of a jack rabbit. Remus was reluctant to show me his, but I guessed correctly that it was a wolf. I leaned over to kiss him, just before I did, Remus said. "Wolves can kill jack rabbits, Dora."

They can also kiss jack rabbits, Remus." I said, kissing him, just before we both lay down on the bed and went to sleep.