Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Sorting Hat's Choice by EmmaGM

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Four: Christmas at Hogwarts

Harry found himself alone in the Slytherin dormitory on Christmas. Draco had lightly teased him about staying at Hogwarts, but Harry could tell it wasn’t serious – his friend obviously preferred that Harry stayed at Hogwarts rather than going home to live with Muggles.

Chrismas morning dawned cold, and when Harry awoke he found several small presents wrapped at the foot of his bed. Harry was astounded – he had never received a Christmas present before. He grabbed the nearest and tore it open – it was a flute, from Hagrid. Next was a small package from the Dursleys: 50 pence and a nasty note. A nicely wrapped package from Draco and his parents contained beautiful green and silver mittens and a matching hat. The tags noted that the hat and the mittens were elf-washed only, whatever that meant. It sounded expensive.

Beneath it all was an unsigned package, and in that package was a shimmering opalescent cloak. As Harry pulled it out of the package, he received a dramatic shock: not only could he see straight through the material, he couldn’t see his hand!

A note fell out of the package onto the bed. Harry thought that he couldn’t be more astonished by this unexpected gift, but he was quickly proven wrong. Not only was this and Invisibility Cloak, but it had belonged to his father.

Harry glanced around the dormitory. Nobody else was present. He raised the cloak to his nose and inhaled deeply. It had been eleven years, but maybe there would be a hint of cologne, or…

Lemon? Did this cloak smell like cleaning solution? Harry inhaled again. No, it was something sweeter. Almost like candy.

Lemon drops.

Why would his Invisibility Cloak smell like lemon drops?

Harry pondered his mysterious benefactor (and his cloak’s mysterious smell) as he went downstairs for breakfast. The Great Hall was nearly empty. Only one other first year had stayed behind: Ron Weasley, who was currently sitting at the Gryffindor table. Weasley was wearing an enormous, apparently hand-knitted jumper with a large letter –R” on the chest.

Harry hesitated. He had never liked sitting alone at lunch when he was at Muggle school, but the unrelenting harassment of Dudley and his cronies had forced Harry to do so. Anybody who was friendly with Harry quickly became a target of Dudley’s bullying, and as a result, Harry was ostracized. Every day Harry ate alone, isolated while the other students chatted with friends. Harry had been terribly excited to discover that meals at Hogwarts were sorted by house. He always had a place to sit at meals, and always had somebody to talk to. Harry had no desire to return to eating alone; with his entire house gone for the holidays, Harry’s desire to sit with Weasley was desperate.

On the other hand, things were tense between Weasley and Draco. They had called an unofficial truce following the troll incident on Halloween, but the antagonism between the pair had slowly been increasing following Slytherin’s Quidditch victory. And while Granger had been much nicer to Harry since Halloween, neither Harry nor Granger would say anything to the other if Draco or Weasley were within earshot.

Harry was still frozen with indecision when Weasley looked up and saw him standing at the doors of the Great Hall. Harry looked at the seat across from Weasley and raised a questioning eyebrow. Weasley simply shrugged. Enormously relieved, Harry walked over to the table. As he sat down, Harry resolved not to provoke Weasley – Harry could control himself, and if Weasley could, too, then they might make it through the meal alive.

–Thanks,’ said Harry.

–No problem,” Ron said, still chewing. The two boys were quiet for a few moments while Harry selected food for his plate. Finally, Ron swallowed his enormous mouthful of food. –Why are you here for the holidays, Potter?”

Harry shook his head. –Muggle family doesn’t want me. Which works out, because I don’t want them, either. What about you?”

–My parents are in Romania, visiting my brother Charlie. He works with dragons.”

–Sounds like a brilliant holiday. Why didn’t you go along?”

Ron’s face flushed and he turned to scoop more food on his plate.

–Right,” Harry said. Sensing Ron’s discomfort, he changed the subject. –So, get anything good for Christmas? My aunt and uncle sent me 50 pence. Biggest Christmas present I’ve ever gotten from them.”

Ron speared a sausage on his fork. –I got some Chocolate Frogs and a few other sweets, but… those are already gone.”

–Before breakfast? And you’re still eating like that?”

Ron paused, fork halfway to his mouth. –So?”

Harry laughed. –Never mind. So that’s it, just sweets?”

–I got a jumper, too,” Ron said, face turning red. –My mum makes them every year. It’s mostly embarrassing.”

Harry immediately felt like an idiot: if Ron’s parents couldn’t afford to take him to Romania, they probably couldn’t afford extravagant gifts either. Of course Ron would feel vulnerable around Christmas, because of the accompanying gift-giving. But that jumper?

–I wish I had something like that,” Harry said.

–What, something ugly?”

–No,” Harry said. –Something from my mum.”

Ron nodded, suddenly quiet.

Harry was quiet for a moment. –When I am at my aunt and uncle’s house, I have to wear my cousin’s hand-me-downs. It’s awful. He’s the size of a rhino, and acts like one too.” Ron grinned. –The first time I ever did magic,” Harry said. –I was at the zoo. My cousin pushed me out of the way to look at a snake through a glass window. I was so mad, I accidentally made the glass disappear, and the snake chased him around the room.”

Ron laughed, then covered his nose with his hand. –Come on, Potter. You almost made me shoot milk out my nose.”

–My clever plan has been foiled,” Harry said dryly. Harry’s actual plan – to distract Ron from being embarrassed about money – had been quite successful.

And this smaller plan? The plan that Harry didn’t really want to admit to himself? The plan to make a new friend by sharing a little bit of his own vulnerability about his parents? That plan, not that Harry would ever admit it existed, also seemed to have been successful.

The boys easily chatted through the rest of breakfast, exchanging stories about Harry’s oaf of a cousin and Ron’s numerous older brothers. When they returned for dinner that night, the boys again sat together.

–So,” Ron said. –Was 50 pence all you got for Christmas?”

–No,” Harry said. –I got some gloves and a hat from the Malfoys, and Hagrid got me a flute. And…” Harry paused, unsure if he should continue. –And something you are going to have to see to believe. Come by Slytherin after dinner.”

When Ron arrived outside the Slytherin common room, he hesitated outside the door, then began pacing back and forth. Without the password, he wouldn’t get in. With all the other students gone, there was to send a message to Harry inside the dormitory, either. He finally came to a stop, staring at the door, a look of complete bafflement on his face.

Harry’s floating head appeared next to him. –Hey, Ron.”

Ron yelled and jumped backwards. Harry, laughing pulled the rest of the Invisibility Cloak off his body.

–An Invisibility Cloak, are you serious?”

–Yeah. Cool, huh?”

Ron scowled. –How long have you been watching me act like an idiot in front of the door?”

–Only a few minutes,” Harry said. He smiled to show Ron that he wasn’t being cruel.

–You sound like Fred and George,” said Ron, referring to his infamous twin brothers. –They would kill to get their hands on an Invisibility Cloak. And this was a Christmas present? Do you have any idea how rare these are? Who gave this to you?”

Harry shrugged. –The packages wasn’t signed, but whoever it was left a note. It was my dad’s.”

Ron stepped forward and grabbed a piece of the Cloak. As he rubbed the material between his fingers, his skin disappeared and reappeared with each movement of the cloth.

–This,” Ron said, –is completely cool.”

–Come on,” Harry said. –Let’s go play a prank on Filch or something.”

Ron smiled. –I know something better. Let’s go up to the third floor.”

The boys ducked under the Invisibility Cloak and made their way up several moving staircases. Moments later, the boys stood outside the door that Dumbledore had forbidden them to enter earlier in the term.

–When Malfoy challenged me to duel,” Ron said, –Seamus and I came up here. Before you and Malfoy could show, Filch found us.”

Harry knew that he and Malfoy had never intended to duel, and had instead sent Filch to catch Ron. Harry felt guilty, but said nothing.

–Seamus and I split up and ran,” Ron said. –I wound up on the other side of this door. You’re not going to believe what’s in there. Stay quiet.”

Harry and Ron quietly opened the door and snuck inside. At the far end of the hallway, looming larger than the troll from Halloween, was a giant three-headed dog. Its paws were larger than Harry’s bed, and any of its three heads could have swallowed him in one gulp. The dog was lying on the ground, and the three heads were fighting each other for control of an enormous bone.

–What is that?” Harry whispered.

–It’s a giant three-headed dog,” said Ron. –The real question is: why is it here?”

–Well, it’s Dumbledore’s,” Harry said. –He told us to stay away at the welcoming feast, and it’s pretty obvious why.”

–But it’s a stupid place to keep a giant three-headed dog. The thing is dangerous. Why keep it in a school full of kids?”

Ron was making a frightening amount of sense.

–I think it’s a guard dog,” Ron said. –On Halloween, Snape had a bloody gash on his leg, and I heard him talking to Dumbledore about the third floor. I think Snape was trying to get past the dog and got bit.”

–Snape wouldn’t do something like that,” Harry said, automatically defending his head of house. –Besides, he was telling Dumbledore about it. If he was trying to get past a guard dog to steal something, he wouldn’t tell the person he was stealing from.”

–Maybe,” Ron conceded. –But I sure wish I knew what it was guarding.”



Harry and Ron’s holiday friendship dissolved when classes started again. With Draco and the rest of the Slytherin boys back in the castle, Harry didn’t lack for company. Similarly, Ron took meals with Finnegan, Longbottom and the rest of the Gryffindors.

On the first night back, Harry showed Draco the Invisibility Cloak. That night, after curfew, the two boys used the Cloak to sneak out of the Slytherin common room. Harry took Draco to the third floor corridor and showed him the three-headed dog.

–What do you think could be hidden there?” Draco asked, once they were safely back out in the hall.

–I’ve been thinking about that,” Harry said. –On the day you and I met in Diagon Alley, I went to Gringotts with Hagrid. He was getting something important from a vault for Dumbledore. Hagrid pulls something important out of a vault in Gringotts, and Dumbledore has a giant, three-headed guard dog. Whatever it is that Hagrid got, I bet the dog’s guarding it.”

Draco looked thoughtfully at the door. –You know, a thief broke into Gringotts earlier this year. It was only a few days before we came to Hogwarts. Not the Malfoy vault, thankfully, but still…”

–Do you think it’s connected?”

Draco shrugged.

–I’m going to go ask Hagrid about it,” Harry said.

–That big oaf won’t know anything,” Draco said. –But if you must… be sure to tell me anything you find out.”

Harry didn’t like Draco speaking poorly of Hagrid, but Harry said nothing. There was no requirement that Harry’s friends had to be friends with each other. This was just one of those times.



The next night, Harry once again set out under the cover of the Invisibility Cloak, this time toward Hagrid’s hut. The hut was extraordinary hot, and Harry immediately began sweating when he sat down. Hagrid closed the door behind Harry.

–Cup of tea, Harry?”

–Yes, please.”

Hagrid began busying himself by the stove. –So, Harry… Are yeh liking yer time at Hogwarts?”

–I love it,” said Harry. –It’s the greatest.”

–And how are yeh doin’ in Slytherin?” Hagrid seemed hesitant to ask. –They treatin’ yeh alright?”

–What do you mean?” Harry wasn’t sure why Hagrid was asking. Of course he was getting on alright in Slytherin. It was the Gryffindors who were the problem.

–I mean, are yeh bein’ pushed around or hexed or anythin’? I can talk to Dumbledore about it if yeh are.” Hagrid was setting out teacups and saucers on the table. The cups were comically small in Hagrid’s enormous hands.

–No, Hagrid, nothing like that is happening. I’m friends with all my housemates. At least, with all the first years.”

–Oh.” Hagrid was quiet for a moment, and was startled back to attention by the whistling of the teapot. –Well, as long as yer alright.”

Harry was perplexed; it was almost as if Hagrid was sad he was doing well. But that couldn’t be right. Harry decided to change the subject.

–Hagrid, I wanted to thank you again for Hedwig. She’s the best. Over the holidays, when everyone was home, it was nice to have some company. And I got to send presents to all my friends and she brought some back to me. And thanks for the flute!”

Hagrid smiled. –It weren’t anythin’, Harry. I hope yeh like it.”

–I do,” said Harry. –It was the first Christmas I’ve ever really gotten gifts.”

–What else did yeh get?” Hagrid asked, taking a sip of tea.

–Well the Malfoys send me green and silver mittens, and a hat,” said Harry.

Hagrid paused, holding his teacup up to his face far after he had stopped drinking. –Did they?” he asked. –How nice fer yeh.”

–They’re really warm,” Harry said. –And speaking of warm, why is it so hot in here? It’s like a furnace!” Harry pulled at the collar of his shirt. Hagrid glanced around. –Can you keep a secret, Harry?”

–Of course.”

Hagrid turned and began rummaging around under the stove. He removed a large blanket, which appeared to be wound around some object. Hagrid pulled away the blanket and revealed…

–An egg?” Once again, Hagrid had thrown Harry for an unexpected turn.

–Not jus’ any egg, Harry. A dragon egg. Gotter keep it hot, or it won’ hatch.”

–Where are you going to keep a dragon, Hagrid?”

–Er… In here?”

–It’s a dragon, Hagrid! It’ll get too big! What are you going to feed it? And it’ll burn you out of house and home.”

–Jus’ let me worry ‘bout that,” Hagrid said.

Harry suddenly saw his opportunity. –Next you’ll tell me you want to get a giant, three-headed dog.”

–Oh, I already got one o’ them,” Hagrid said. The large man was carefully rewrapping the egg, not paying attention to what he was saying. –Fluffy’s up on the third floor.”

–Oh?” Harry spoke carefully, trying to keep Hagrid talking. –Why’s Fluffy up there?”

–Because Dumbledore…” Hagrid suddenly looked up from the egg. –Oh, I shouldn’ter said that.”

–What about Dumbledore?” Harry dropped all pretence of being casual, eagerly leaning forward.

–What’s up on the third floor is between Dumbledore and Nicolas Flamel,” Hagrid said. –You can jus’ drop it.”

–Who’s Nicolas Flamel?” Harry asked.

Hagrid dropped his head. –Shouldn’ter said that either…” Hagrid stood. –Innit past curfew, Harry? Yeh should get back to bed.”

Harry realized that wasn’t going to learn anything more from Hagrid that evening. –Thanks for the tea, Hagrid. You’re a great friend.” Harry gave Hagrid a hug, then started back to Hogwarts. Once he was out of sight from Hagrid’s cabin, he ducked underneath his Invisibility Cloak.

Back in the castle, Harry headed straight to the dungeons. What was Hagrid going to do with a dragon egg, let alone a dragon? What were Hagrid and Dumbledore guarding with a giant, three-headed dog named Fluffy? And who was Nicolas Flamel?

Although the Invisibility Cloak protected Harry from prying eyes, it did nothing to protect Harry against his own stupidity. Harry, distracted by his thoughts, tripped over something in the hall and stumbled into a suit of armour. There was an enormous amount of shouting, yowling, crashing and banging as Harry struggled to regain his balance.

A marching band could not have made more noise.

A light appeared at the end of the hallway – Filch, with a lamp, investigating the racket. Harry turned around and discovered that he had tripped over Mrs Norris, the caretaker’s cat. The cat sniffed the air and moved toward Harry, mewling softly. Harry backed away from Mrs Norris, but the cat continued to follow him, mewling louder and louder. As the light grew brighter, Harry dashed away from Mrs Norris. He ran through the nearest door and closed it behind him.

Harry pressed his ear against the door and listened how Filch investigated the jumbled pieces of armour. Harry could hear the caretaker rearranging the armour, grumbling and cursing the entire time. Even after the hallway grew silent, Harry did not leave his hiding place – he wanted to be certain that Filch had gone.

Waiting, however, was boring. Harry decided to explore the room in which he was hiding. It was a large-ish room with interesting columns and tall windows. The room was almost entirely empty; the only furnishing was a tall mirror, standing precisely in the centre of the room. A strange inscription ran around the frame of the mirror.

Curious, Harry stood in front of the mirror. It only reflected an empty room.

Harry was perplexed, then smiled. He removed the Invisibility Cloak, and was greeted by his mirror image… and more.

Harry spun around. There was nobody behind him.

Harry turned and looked at the mirror again. Yes, there he stood…but behind Harry’s reflection stood his parents, smiling.

Harry wasn’t sure how long he stayed in that room, but he was very tired when he crept back to the Slytherin dormitory.

Harry was fascinated by the mirror. He came back the next night, and the night after that. Each time, the image changed slightly. Once, his reflection was wearing a sweater with a giant –H” on the front, and his mother was carrying knitting needles. Another time, his reflection was tossing a Quaffle with his father.

On the third night, Harry brought Draco with him. He wanted to show his parents to Draco and make sure he wasn’t crazy. Draco, however, saw something different.

–It’s my father,” Draco said. –My father and me. He’s proud of me. He hugged m – – Draco stopped abruptly.

–What?”

Draco’s tone had changed. All the wonder was gone from his voice, replaced with tension. –He hugged my mother.”

–You didn’t say your mother was there.”

–Well, she was. My father hugged my mother and they were happy and I’m standing in front of them and I’m happy too. We’re all happy.” Harry had the impression that Draco was lying about what he saw. The next day, the boys did not speak of the mirror, and Harry didn’t invite Draco to return.

On the fourth night, Harry saw his mother carrying a small child wrappen in a blue blanket: Harry’s brother, who had never been born.

Harry was suddenly filled with anger. Was this what Voldemort had taken from him? His parents, his brother? His childhood? His entire life?

Harry squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his hands into fists. He was trembling with rage.

When he opened his eyes, the image in the mirror had changed. Harry saw himself, older and alone, with a wand in his hand. His reflection waved the wand, and mist appeared, coalescing into two human shapes. Those shapes gained colour, became solid, and formed themselves into Harry’s parents.

‘How much magic would it take?’ Harry thought. And, almost immediately, the words of the Sorting Hat entered his mind: Slytherin could make you great…

–Back again, Harry?”

Harry spun around. He had been so wrapped in his own thoughts that he hadn’t heard Dumbledore enter the room. The headmaster was standing slightly behind Harry, his face serene.

–Professor, I…”

Dumbledore held up a hand, stopping Harry mid-sentence. –Do you understand what you are seeing in the mirror, Harry?”

–The future that might have been?” Harry guessed.

Dumbledore smiled. –Perhaps. But perhaps not. The Mirror of Erised shows your heart’s deepest wishes, Harry. If I may be so bold, what is it that you see?”

–I see my parents,” Harry whispered.

Dumbledore’s face fell, as if he was succumbing to a distant sadness. –A worthy desire, Harry, to see your family again. Nevertheless, the Mirror of Erised is dangerous. Many great wizards have wasted away in front of this mirror, trapped in its lies and their own longing. For that reason, the mirror will be moved tomorrow. I ask for your promise that you will not seek it out again.”

Harry nodded.

–Good,” said Dumbledore. –Now, if you will take one last look, I will escort you back to your dormitory.”

Harry turned to the mirror again, expecting to see one last glimpse of his parents.

Instead, Harry’s older reflection stood alone in the centre of the mirror. The mirror grew darker and darker around his reflection, his eyes glittering bright green and black as if lit by fire.



AN: Thank you for reading. Please take the time to leave a review. I'd really appreciate it.