Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Sorting Hat's Choice by EmmaGM

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Six: The Philosopher’s Stone

It was night-time, and a light fog was rolling over the grounds of Hogwarts. An odd group of students stood outside Hagrid’s hut: Harry, Draco, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Harry was stamping his feet to keep warm.

Harry had finally convinced Hagrid that a dragon was not a pet. It had taken weeks of prompting, and a close call in which Norbert had nearly burnt down Hagrid’s hut, but the gamekeeper had finally conceded. If Hagrid’s hut was going to remain standing, the dragon had to go.

The next problem was determining exactly how to get rid of a dragon. Hagrid wasn’t going to allow Norbert to be released in the care of a poacher or potions dealer – Norbert would be dead within a week and sold in pieces. But there weren’t many private parties interested in purchasing an enormously dangerous pet that would likely burn down their house and eat their family, either. Hagrid even contacted Gringotts, but the Goblins replied that they already had a dragon to guard their bank.

Then Harry remembered Ron Weasley’s older brother. Harry had convinced Weasley to organise the midnight exchange. Weasley had insisted that he be allowed to bring along Granger – it wasn’t every day that you had the opportunity to see a dragon. Harry realised that Ron was right, and invited Draco as well.

This was not a good idea.

Weasley and Draco began bickering in the Great Hall and continued all the way to Hagrid’s hut. Granger and Harry hung behind, saying little. The mood was tense as the four students waited in the cold spring air.

–How’d he get the egg, anyway?” asked Weasley.

Harry shrugged. –Somebody gave it to him in a bar.”

Draco sneered. –In a bar? Sounds like the kind of place where you’d find Hagrid.”

Granger’s curiosity was piqued. –People don’t just carry dragon eggs around in bars. And they don’t just give them away, either.”

–So ask Hagrid,” Harry said.

Hagrid insisted that the egg was a gift. –Nice guy, he was,” Hagrid said. –Couldn’ta seen his face, dark hood and all, or I’d want ter give him sommat in return, you know. He bought all the drinks that night, a real good ‘un.”

Granger’s head shot up. –Hagrid, what else did the two of you talk about?”

–Nothin’ much,” Hagrid said. –He was real interested in animals. Had a great talk about Fluffy, we did.”

–Fluffy?” Granger asked.

–The three-headed dog on the third floor,” said Harry.

–That thing is named Fluffy?” said Weasley and Draco in unison. The two immediately began glaring at one another.

–What did you tell him about Fluffy?” asked Granger, not to be distracted. Apparently, Weasley had taken Granger to see the dog, as well.

–Nothin’. I jus’ said that people get scared of animals too easily. With Fluffy, fer instance. Play a little tune and he goes right to sleep.”

After the dragon was taken away, on the way back to the castle, Weasley was insistent that the shadowy figure in the bar must have been Snape. Harry and Draco were vehemently opposed.

–Snape couldn’t get past the dog on Halloween,” Weasley said. –So he got Hagrid drunk and bribed him with a dragon egg. Now Snape knows how to get past the dog, and he’s probably just waiting for a chance.”

Harry shook his head. –Dumbledore knows Snape was up there on Halloween. Snape told Dumbledore himself. You can’t be serious.”

–I am serious. As soon as we get to the castle, I’m going to tell Dumbledore.”

–Go ahead,” said Draco. –But don’t expect us to go with you.”

At the castle doors, the Gryffindors split away from the Slytherins. As soon as Weasley and Granger were out of sight, Harry pulled out his Invisibility Cloak.

–I want to see what Dumbledore says,” Harry whispered.

Draco and Harry slipped under the cloak and followed the pair of Gryffindors. Before they could find Dumbledore, however, Weasley and Granger stumbled upon Professor McGonagall. McGonagall denied their request to see the headmaster, and gave the pair a detention the next evening for breaking curfew. Granger and Weasley protested, but McGonagall remained firm.

Underneath the Cloak, Harry and Draco snickered, then quietly snuck back to the Slytherin dormitory.



–How was that detention, Weasley?” Harry asked.

Weasley and Granger were seated at the Gryffindor table for lunch. Harry and Draco stood behind them.

–Shut up, Potter,” said Weasley. –I got that detention because I was helping you. You owe me.”

Harry laughed. –You got that detention because you were being stupid about Professor Snape.”

–I am not being stupid about Snape,” Weasley snapped.

Draco chimed in. –What did you have to do? Clean under desks?”

–No, we went into the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid,” said Granger. –Something or someone has been killing unicorns and drinking their blood.”

Draco and Harry glanced at each other. It sounded gruesome… and a little cool.

–Did you find anything?” Harry asked.

–We found a dead unicorn,” said Granger. –Somebody in a black cloak ––

–Snape,” said Weasley.

–– was drinking its blood. Whoever it was ––

–Snape,” said Weasley, again.

–– started going after us. Luckily, a Centaur stepped in and saved us.”

–Saved us from Snape,” Weasley said. –Black cloak, swoops around like a giant bat, drinks the blood of innocents to survive…”

Granger swatted Weasley on the arm. –Ronald, have some respect. Professor Snape is still a teacher.”

–Indeed, I am,” said a clipped voice. The four students turned and saw Professor Snape looming over them. –All four of you will be late for Potions unless you leave for class immediately. It would be in your best interests to do so.”

The four students stood and briskly walked out of the Great Hall.



The next day, Weasley was at the front of the Great Hall after dinner, practically shouting at Professor McGonagall. –What do you mean Professor Dumbledore’s gone to London? I need to talk to him!”

–Mr Weasley, I suggest you calm down. Professor Dumbledore’s whereabouts were to remain somewhat secret, although that is clearly no longer the case. As Deputy Headmistress, anything that you would say to Professor Dumbledore, you can also say to me.”

As Draco and Harry watched, Weasley leaned forward and whispered to McGonagall. Weasley pointed upward several times, twice in the direction of Hagrid’s hut, and then gestured wildly at the empty seat where Professor Snape usually took his dinner.

Professor McGonagall whispered to Weasley, whose face turned a bright red. Weasley spun on his heel and stiffly walked back to the Gryffindor table.

Harry and Draco snickered.

On the way back to the Slytherin common room, Harry heard something strange.

–Draco, listen. Does that sound like a harp to you?”

Draco paused. –Yes. Never heard that before.”

From above came the sound of a slamming door, and the music of the harp was suddenly gone. None of the other students seemed remotely curious – what would otherwise be strange happenings became rather commonplace when one lived at Hogwarts.

–You don’t think…” Harry hesitated. –I mean, that door could have been on the third floor. And Fluffy likes music. And Professor Snape did leave dinner early tonight.”

Draco smirked. –Only one way to find out.”



Harry and Draco stood just inside the door to Fluffy’s hallway. The enormous dog was sleeping peacefully. Nearby, an enchanted harp played a lullaby.

–There’s no way Weasley was right,” Draco said. –It can’t be Snape.”

–It’s somebody,” Harry said.

There was a noise behind them. The door to the hallway opened and Weasley and Granger slipped through.

–Took you two long enough,” Draco said.

The Gryffindors jumped, startled. –What are you two doing here?” Weasley demanded.

–We heard music and got curious,” Harry said. –Want to go find out who’s trying to steal something from Nicolas Flamel?”

In unison, Weasley and Draco said: –The Philosopher’s Stone!” The two glared at one another.

–What’s the Philosopher’s Stone?” Harry asked.

–A Philosopher’s Stone can make the Elixir of Life,” said Draco. –Drink it, and you can be immortal.”

–You can also use it to turn lead into gold,” said Granger. –It’s a legendary pursuit of alchemists in the Muggle world.”

Draco nodded. –It gives you all the money in the world and a life long enough to use it. My father’s always going on about what he’d do if he had one.”

–Dumbledore and Flamel are the last two wizards powerful enough to create one,” said Weasley. –That must be what’s hidden here.” The other students looked at him in surprise. –What? It was on a Chocolate Frog card.”

Granger stepped forward. –Well? Are we going to follow him?”

Harry hesitated. He remembered the words of Professor Snape on Halloween: the glory of Slytherin was not the glory of a hero. But if Snape was the one trying to steal the Philosopher’s Stone, then maybe he was just telling Harry that to keep Harry off the trail. And if Snape wasn’t the one trying to steal the Stone, then catching the real thief would clear Snape’s name and put Weasley in his place. And Harry would be saving the Philosopher’s Stone – immortality and infinite money! Surely that risk was worth the reward…

–Let’s do it,” said Harry.

Harry crept forward on his tiptoes, walking as silently as possible. Draco, Weasley and Granger followed behind him. The magical harp plinked and plucked in the background. Slightly ahead of Harry, Fluffy snored loudly, each of the heads taking alternating breaths. When Harry reached the trap door next to Fluffy, he opened it slowly and looked inside.

–No ladder,” he whispered.

–Maybe we just jump,” suggested Weasley.

–Sounds like a good way to get killed,” said Draco.

–Can we levitate down?” asked Harry.

Granger shook her head. –You can’t hover yourself. Magic won’t allow it.”

–What about each other?”

–Maybe…” Granger put her hand on her chin, lost in thought. The hallway was absolutely silent. Weasley opened his mouth to say something, but Harry put a finger to his lips – he didn’t want Weasley breaking Granger’s train of thought. –Or we could put our hands and feet on opposite walls. Friction would stop us from falling, and we could shuffle down.”

–Guys?” said Weasley.”I think we should jump.”

–And I think you’re stupid,” Draco said.

–No, I really think we should jump.” As Weasley spoke, there was a loud rumbling noise, soon joined by a second and a third.

Harry’s first thought was that the rumbling would overwhelm the music of the harp and wake Fluffy. His second thought was that the harp had already stopped playing, which meant that Fluffy was already awake. His third thought was, given the choice between jumping into the trap door or being eaten by a giant, three-headed dog, Harry would much rather jump.

–Jumping it is,” Harry said, leaping into the hole. As he fell, he heard yelling behind him: Granger, Weasley and Draco had all quickly followed.

As Harry fell, he saw a dim light illuminating the bottom of the hole. The floor appeared to be covered in green vines. Harry braced himself for a hard landing, bending his knees and tucking his body into a roll. The vines turned out to be soft and pliant, and they broke his fall rather comfortably. Harry continued his roll so that his friends wouldn’t land on top of him, and ended on his hands and knees. As he stood, he was already glancing around the chamber for any sign of the thief, but there were none.

Behind Harry, Draco and Granger landed on the vines. Draco was forced to dive away to prevent Weasley from falling on top of him.

–Watch it, Weasley!”

–Watch yourself,” Weasley yelled back.

Harry felt something slither around his arms. He looked down and found that the vines had begun to thrash and writhe, and they began tightening around his arms and legs. Harry began to shout for help.

–Oh, I know this!” said Granger. –This is Devil’s Snare!”

–Thanks for the identification!” Harry snapped. He had been caught unawares, and was being pulled to his hands and knees. –Help?”

Granger and Weasley began frantically marching around the room, yanking their legs free from the vines before they became fully entangled. Draco tried to get to his feet, but a vine wrapped around his waist and dragged him back to the floor.

Granger was thinking out loud. –Devil’s Snare likes the damp and the dark, so…”

–So burn it out!” shouted Draco. Vines were now covering his arms and legs, and were moving up his torso toward his head. Meanwhile, Harry was being pulled downward, straining desperately to keep his face from touching the wriggling mass of plants.

–Oh right!” Hermione shouted the words to a spell and blue flames erupted from her wand. The vines jerked away from the flames, retreating into the farthest corner of the room. Hermione directed the flames toward Draco, who had become so entangled in the vines that only his face was visible. The vines uncurled themselves and released the blond boy, who scrambled away from them on his hands and knees. Finally, Hermione moved the flames toward Harry, who had completely succumbed to the vines and was now only a green lump on the floor. When the vines finally withdrew, Harry lay prone on the ground for several moments, taking deep gasping breaths.

–At least that wasn’t horrible,” Draco said sarcastically.

Harry stood slowly. –Glad one of us paid attention in Herbology.” Harry looked around the chamber – there was only one door. –Onward, I guess.”

The four students moved forward into the next room, finding it filled with hundreds of winged keys. In the middle of the room hovered several broomsticks. On the opposite wall was a single door with a large, ornate rock.

–Seems straightforward,” said Draco. Before anybody could speak, Draco was aloft on a broom, chasing after keys in the air. Weasley followed quickly behind him, and Harry limped slowly toward the last broom. Granger, who had never liked flying class, stayed on the ground.

–It’s probably the key with the broken wing,” Draco yelled. He and Weasley began chasing the key through the room. Harry, once he was aloft, joined them.

Weasley was the slowest flyer, but his turns were sharp and crisp. Harry was the fastest in a sprint, but he couldn’t manoeuvre as well as Draco and Weasley. The key, however, was more agile than all of them. Worse, the closer the boys got to the broken-winged key, the closer the other keys flew in formation. Like a herd of zebras or a school of fish, it was almost impossible to focus on one particular key.

After several minutes of frantic flying, the boys had still not caught the key.

–What now?” Weasley said.

Draco looked at Harry. –How about Harry flushes is out, Weasley corners it, and I come from below for the catch?”

Harry nodded and began chasing the key around the room. Weasley lurked to one side, forcing the key to turn toward Harry. The flock of keys began to tighten up, protecting the broken key.

As the key passed above Draco, the blond boy darted upward on his broom. Draco snatched at the key as he passed, but missed. The flock of keys exploded into chaos. Harry’s eyes never lost track of the broken key, however. As the key twisted away from Draco, Harry darted forward and snatched it from the air.

Granger clapped and cheered as the three boys dropped to the floor.

–How’d you manage that catch?” Draco asked, astonished.

Harry shrugged. –Beginner’s luck, I guess.”

Harry unlocked the door and the four students stepped into the next room. They found themselves on the edge of a massive chessboard. Enormous chess pieces stood on the board like silent sentinels. White was nearest, and black stood by the opposite door.

–Neat,” said Draco flippantly. –Let’s go.” As Draco stepped onto the board, the spire-shaped bishop on his square dissolved into dust. Draco moved to step forward onto a pawn’s space and instead smashed his face into an invisible wall. Draco fell backwards onto the floor, where he sat and rubbed his nose. –What the hell was that?”

Weasley’s eyes went wide. –It wasn’t a legal move. We have to play ourselves across.” Weasley began shouting orders, directing Granger and Harry to play as rooks, and taking the place of a knight himself. Weasley was confident in his actions, moving pawns and pieces around the board with authority. Harry recognized that the Gryffindor had significant experience playing chess, and deferred to Weasley. Draco apparently recognised this, as well, and stayed sullenly quiet through the majority of the game.

White, under Weasley’s control, took the first pawn. A white knight moved up and over, attacking the smaller black pawn. The knight came alive as it moved, raising its arms and crushing the black pawn to pieces.

–That’s rather awful,” said Harry. –What happens if one of us gets taken?”

Weasley’s face had gone white. –Let’s not find out.”

Weasley’s directions became more careful. He took longer and longer to deliberate between moves. Harry could see, even from across the room, that the Gryffindor had broken into a sweat.

–Okay, that’s it,” said Weasley. –We’ve won the game!”

Harry looked around, but nothing happened. The king wasn’t in checkmate. –Looks like we’re still playing,” Harry said.

–There’s a mating pattern,” Weasley said. –We’re guaranteed checkmate in three moves. Normally, the opponent concedes at this point.”

Draco looked around darkly. –Doesn’t look like concession is part of this game. Just win it, and we’ll go on.”

–You’re not going to like this, Malfoy,” Weasley said. –You have to sacrifice yourself.”

–What?!”

–I do, too! It’s the mating pattern, checkmate in three moves. I put the king in check. They have to take my piece, or they lose. Then you put the king in check by moving there.” Weasley pointed at a spot on the board. –They have to take your piece or they lose. But then they’re cornered. Harry moves three spaces up, puts the king in check, and nothing can take his piece or get in the way. Checkmate, we win the game.”

Draco shook his head. –This is stupid. I’m not getting myself attacked by some giant chess piece for a lark!” Draco moved to leave the chess board, but again found himself trapped at the edge of his square. He pounded at the invisible wall with his fist. –Let me out!”

–That’s not a legal move, Malfoy,” Weasley said quietly. –We’re in this to the end.”

Draco turned to Harry. –This is what Gryffindor gets you.”

Weasley slowly stepped forward. –Check,” he announced. A black rook responded, sliding forward and striking Weasley in the head. Weasley collapsed, and the black chess piece tossed his limp body to the edge of the board.

Draco stormed onto the square Weasley had previously indicated. –Check,” he snapped. A pawn slid diagonally forward. Draco raised his hand to protect his head, and the pawn punched him in the ribs. Draco clutched his side, and staggered of the board, collapsing next to Weasley.

Harry advanced three spaces. –Checkmate.” The black king dissolved into dust, and the remaining black pieces froze in place. Harry tentatively walked forward, and found that the edges of his square were no longer blocked by the magical wall.

–Are you alright?” Harry yelled to Draco.

–No, not at all,” said Draco, wincing as he spoke.

–What about Ron? He might have a concussion!” asked Granger.

–I’ll keep an eye on the prat,” said Draco angrily. –Just go. I’ll be furious if I did that for nothing.”

Granger and Harry looked at each other, then slowly walked through the next door. A familiar but repulsive smell assaulted their nostrils – the rank scent of troll. The troll lay in the middle of the room, unconscious with a large lump on its head.

–That was easy,” said Harry. –Let’s be quick about it.”

Harry and Granger dashed across the room and through the next door. In the middle of the next room was a table, and on the table sat seven bottles and a piece of parchment. As Harry and Granger moved into the room, the door slammed behind them. Giant purple flames erupted from the floor between them and the door.

–No going back,” Harry said. Harry turned to look at the opposite door just in time to see black flames ignite in front of it, barring their progress.

–No going forward either,” said Granger.

The students approached the table. A riddle was written on the piece of parchment, giving small hints about the contents of the bottles: three were poison, which would incapacitate a thief; two were wine, which would subsequent attempts at solving the riddle more difficult; one was a potion to move through the black flames; and one was a potion to move backward through the purple.

–It’s not even magic,” Granger said. –It’s logic, just like the chess set. So many wizards don’t have an ounce of common sense…”

Harry nodded. –Good thing we’re Muggle raised, right?”

–Right.” Granger leaned forward and began considering the bottles. Harry did the same, re-reading the riddle several times.

Harry and Granger stood up and pointed at the smallest bottle. –That one,” they said in unison. They turned to one another and smiled.

Harry lifted the bottle and shook it. –There’s only enough for one.”

–Potter. Er… Harry. I’ve been thinking. Ron and I came here to stop Snape.” Harry opened his mouth to protest, but Hermione held up her hand to stop him. –Whether it’s Snape or someone else, Ron and I didn’t know what Fluffy was guarding. Whoever is on the other side of that door would probably do anything to get to the Philosopher’s Stone.”

A wizard who is willing to do anything to get what he wants…

–You don’t have to go. I’ll do it,” Harry said. –Whoever it is, they shouldn’t be stealing from Dumbledore and Hagrid.”

–That’s not what I meant,” said Granger. –Maybe we should go get Professor McGonagall. All of us.”

Harry shook his head. –Going to McGonagall didn’t work earlier tonight, and it won’t work now. You should take the escape potion. Use the brooms from the flying key room to get up to the trap door and past Fluffy. Take Draco and Ron to the hospital wing, and tell a Professor that I’m still down here. That’ll get the staff here fast, if they think I’m in danger.”

–Harry, they won’t just think you’re in danger. You’ll actually be in danger.”

Harry smiled. –I’ll rely on my Slytherin cunning to keep me safe.”

Granger nodded, then darted forward. She hugged Harry tightly. –Thank you for Halloween,” she whispered. She stepped back and quickly drank the other potion. –I’ll be back with help. Good luck.”

Harry watched as Hermione stepped through the purple flames before he turned to face the final door. He raised the bottle to his lips and swallowed deeply. The potion coursed through his body like ice. Taking a last, deep breath, Harry stepped forward through the black flames.



Only one more chapter to go and then this story will be finished. Thank you for reading and please let me know what you think!