Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Severus Snape and the Kiss Of Death by Hotrav

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The muscles in his back gave a hard spasm, but Severus Snape dared not acknowledge the agony. He could not utter a sound, stand up or do anything to relieve his growing pain. He had to remain still with his forehead touching the cold flagstone floor in between the flat palms of his hands with his knees carrying his weight on the stones. It could be fatal for him to move or speak until his Master would deign him to do it. He and the other eight supplicants had already waited approximately fifteen minutes in their subservient postures.

–Severus, why are you here? You were ordered to stay in your position at Hogwarts, unless-”

The Dark Lord’s lisping pronunciation of the last syllable made it sound more like the hiss of a snake rather than something spoken by a man.

–Bellatrix, did your nephew totally fulfill his mission?”

From the floor to his right, Snape heard Bellatrix Lestrange began to speak.

–My Lord, Draco repaired the vanishing cabinet and he opened the way for your chosen Death Eaters to gain access to Hogwarts.”

–Yes, I already know that. What happened next?”

Severus fought the urge to speak to his Lord.

–As we left the Room of Requirements, we were intercepted by a large group. Part of the group was made up of members of the Order of the Phoenix, and the rest were a handful of Potter’s little playmates. We fought our way up to the tower following where Draco had already gone. When we arrived, we discovered that he had disarmed Dumbledore.”

–And…”

Severus heard the intake of air from the far left where Draco kneeled and to his right where Narcissa also awaited their Lord’s pleasure. At the two sounds, he felt, more than heard, Nagini leave his master’s side and began to slither across the room towards them.

–As we climbed the stairs, I saw Dumbledore standing there without his wand, I heard Dumbledore attempting to persuade Draco to betray you, My Lord, but the boy did not.”

–Yet, Dumbledore was alive and unarmed when you arrived. Draco had not yet fulfilled his role?”

–No. I think that Dumbledore had confused the boy. Maybe, it was the result of a spell, but he seemed unable to kill the Blood Traitor.”

And with that Bellatrix had left her nephew alone with no one to speak for him. She might as well have cast the Killing Curse herself and saved the Dark Lord the bother.

–So, how many minutes elapsed in between your arrival and the death of Dumbledore?”

Lestrange hesitated for a second. Even Bella, with her fawning devotion to the Dark Lord, knew that she was on a tightrope in windy weather. If she misspoke, she and Draco would die together.

–My Lord, Dumbledore began to speak to us. I encouraged Draco to fulfill his destiny, but he wavered. And then through the door behind us came Snape.”

–How many minutes, Bellatrix?”

–Four or five at the most, my Lord.”

–Four or five?” A deadly paused lingered in the air. He heard his Master take a step towards the teenager. –Draco, get up and stand in between me and your parents and look into my eyes.”

Draco slowly stood, and he heard Draco’s slow, heavy footsteps as he walked across the room and stood where he had been ordered to stand.

Suddenly, Draco let loose an ear-piercing scream. He took a step backward and collapsed, The writhing and screaming continued on as he lay upon the floor.

Severus could hear Narcissa beginning to sob. He dared to turn his face to the side to catch the woman’s eyes. He put all of his energy into his thoughts and attempted to push them into her mind.

If you rise, we all will die. Stay still.

Narcissa looked at him; he saw the tears welling in her eyes. She nodded back to him and remained prostrate.

Draco continued his yells of pain. Time crept slowly on. The yelling stopped and for a moment, he could not hear anything. Finally, he realized that both the Dark Lord and Nagini were on the move towards them.

Out of the corner of his right eye, he saw a toe of a black boot roll the quaking body of the boy over onto his back. Bending down so Draco could not miss what he was about to say to him, Voldemort in a soft, almost caressing, tone of voice instructed the teen.

–Don’t ever disappoint me again, boy! If you do, you will die a very slow, painful and public death!”

As his Master left Draco, he heard the boy begin to retch on the floor. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Narcissa began to rise. However, her caution quickly overrode maternal instincts and she remained on the floor

Snape heard more footsteps leading away and the thud of a foot striking a body. A second later he heard a short gasp of pain.

–I expected much more from your son, Lucius. Perhaps your blood isn’t as pure as you claim it is. If he fails me again, you will watch him die, and you will share his fate.

”

–Yes, my Lord.”

Again more steps, and he realized that he was next. Severus closed his eyes clearing his mind and calming his emotions.

–Severus.”

–My Lord.”

–Tell me how you got to the tower and what you did there.”

He realized that he was being offered the rope that might be used to hang him. He drew moisture into his mouth, began to choose his words carefully and spoke.

–Dumbledore had ordered me to remain in my office until he returned from an excursion outside of Hogwarts. He told me that when he returned from London, we would have to talk. He had something to tell me, so I was waiting in my office when Flitwick came bursting through the door. The midget gasping for breath tried to tell me that they needed me. Flitwick was addle-brained. He had run down from the tallest tower down into the dungeons instead of simply sending a messenger Patronus to me.”

Voldemort gave a little snicker. –He ran all the way down into the dungeons on those tiny legs.” The sounds of his mirth died within a breath.

–When I finally was able to make sense of what he was saying, I realized that Draco had succeeded in his mission. I stunned Flitwick and used a secret passageway to get to the tower. When I arrived at the landing, I found your servants in a battle with members of the Order and some of Potter’s little friends. The Order ceased their attacks assuming that I was on their side. I ran up the stairs and found Dumbledore standing next to the ramparts, He was not well. I assumed that Draco had injured the old fool and could not finish the task.”

–You gave the boy too much credit, Severus.”

–Dumbledore was trying to convince the boy to betray you, my Lord. He did not. However, he could not do the deed. I did not know what the status of battle below was. I did not know if more of the Order or the Aurors were coming to the school to join the fray. Someone had to act, Fenrir just stood there salivating over the possible feast of Dumbledore’s corpse, the Carrows were having a bizarrely polite little conversation with Dumbledore, and Bella was trying to convince Draco to act. It was up to me, or the mission would fail. I walked out of the shadows and Dumbledore saw me. For a second, I saw relief in his eyes. I pulled my wand out, and Dumbledore said ‘Severus, please.’ He must have thought I was going to save him.”

From the floor, he heard the Dark Lord emit a slight moan of almost ecstasy as he described his old teacher’s last words.

–I cast the Killing Curse, and he fell backward over the ramparts and I heard him slam into the ground form below. Not knowing what spells or alarms his death might have triggered, I grabbed the boy by the wrist and ordered them to follow. We burst through the battle with the Order, and out into the grounds. Somewhere along the way, the Potter boy found our trail and tried to delay us. I stunned him leaving him alive as you ordered; Bellatrix set Hagrid’s cottage on fire and after we had left the grounds we came here to report to you.”

–Severus, please,” the Dark Lord repeated with even more delight in the voice than the small moan that had slipped out earlier. –The trusting fool is dead and we can set our plans in motion. You have proven yourself worthy, Severus. Go home and rest. We will meet tomorrow to set our final timetable.”


Cokesworth

He pushed aside the blood-red curtains to stare down from his bedroom window to the wet paving stones of the walkway that led to the front door of the Cokeworth townhouse. He was still alive and had not expected to be still alive just four hours earlier.

He had been certain of his death when he, Draco, Narcissa, and the Death Eaters, who had infiltrated Hogwarts and survived the battles, had entered into the Great Hall of Malfoy Manor.

A bright light shone through the window, temporarily blinding him; he reactively flinched from the unexpected illumination. He threw up his left hand in reaction, pulled out his wand with his right and searched for the source.


For a second, he was on a hilltop begging Dumbledore to protect Lily from his Master.

I’ll do anything!

He quickly blinked away the distraction.


The source of the light was from the front of a smoking and dented Muggle vehicle; teenagers probably using the abandoned steel mill as a place they could snog or worse. A satisfied smile curled his lips as he knew that while he was behind his wall of spells no one could see him standing in the window or see the light from the gas lamps.

He was certain that no one alive outside of Wormtail and the Black sisters knew any connection between him and the former owner of this townhouse: Myra Prince. They were in the conspiracy with him; if they revealed the facts they would be killing themselves. So, only one who ever knew and could tell was dead. He was dead by my hand. He reached down to squeeze the back of his wand hand as if touching it would confirm the horrible reality of it all.

Stop! All of this wallowing in worthless emotion is doing me no good. I’ve been too sloppy and let others manipulate me. I must leave here with a plan of what to do. I need a plan; I need a perfect plan.

–Someday, boy, your brain and that wand are going to get you in a spot of bother that you can’t escape. And I hope I’m there to see it,” said the ghostly voice of his father, as it arose in his memory. After all of these decades, Severus could still smell the pungent whiskey and cigar-smoke breath as it wheezed its curse.

Get out of my head! You worthless old bastard. I outlived you, didn’t I? I’ve outlived them all: except the Dark Lord and the Boy.

Severus lowered his head, knowing that his father’s prediction might have just come true. He wondered who would be the one. Had his explanations about Dumbledore’s death mollified the Dark Lord? Are there Death Eaters out there hunting him down? No, if the Dark Lord had even a dram of uncertainty, he would have tortured the lot of us, and we’d be snake food now. Severus rubbed his index finger up from the bridge of his nose up to his hairline. If I can’t solve this, Draco, Narcissa, and I are as good as dead. And if he died, Lily’s son stood no chance at all.

He was certain that the Order of the Phoenix would be coming at him for blood: his blood. He clicked through the names of their roster. Shacklebolt has the ability, but not the time away from his Auror duties. Tonks, she was not seasoned enough to be a true threat. Lupin was talented enough yet too full of his demons to be a challenge to him. Moody was well past his prime but could be a threat. Could it be a member of the Weasley family? Please! Granger has the raw talent, but she’s no killer. Her boy, it would only be the boy. And what would he do if he faced Lily’s son in a battle in front of the Dark Lord? Would he kill him or allow the boy to kill him?

Stop it, concentrate! Perhaps how we got here could help figure out how we get out of here?


After he had finished his evening meal, he had returned to his office. He sat quietly reviewing the lesson for the First Years class on Monday, when the Headmaster arrived. Dumbledore did not knock but waltzed into his office leading two large, floating, leather-bound tomes. The old man pointed his wand to the left and the books in settle in the middle of his desk.

–I have some homework for you, Severus,” Dumbledore said with an ironic smile on his face. –Tonight, Harry and I will be hunting for one of Voldemort’s hidden artifacts. When we return, I will send for you to join us up in my office. You will demonstrate to Harry one of the methods of destruction mentioned in these books.”

His index finger involuntarily rose to his lips as he said, –Why have me do it? Certainly, you don’t need me to do the deed?”

Dumbledore made a face like he was disappointed that a star pupil did not grasp the core of the lesson. He took a deep breath, and he answered, –We both know that I have a finite time remaining in this world. I need both you and Harry to know how to do this. After I’m gone, Tom Riddle will be free to strike. I don’t know how far or fast the blows shall come, but I know it will happen. And when it does happen I need to know that when Harry locates another one that both you and he can destroy it.”

–If I destroy a Horcrux, will I still be able to hide the fact from the Dark Lord?” he asked. –It may mark me somehow or perhaps it will be something so strong that I cannot mask the fact from him.”

Dumbledore’s scorched hand moved out while he gave a shrug. –I don’t know, Severus. We are dealing with magical questions that have never been faced before.” Sitting down in the chair across from him, Dumbledore contemplated his response for a few more moments before he added.

–Mayhaps it would be best if you would teach young Harry what and how to do it so he alone can destroy the items. If he does destroy it, there may not be a trace that Tom Riddle can link you with the death of the device?” Dumbledore smiled and added, –You’ve always known the proper questions, Severus. If only you had an equal skill for divining the proper answers.”

–Maybe, I should just teach Granger? She has talent. I’d trust her more than him with the knowledge,” he spat out.

–While I think that it is likely that Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley will faithfully remain with Harry, remember she is Muggle-born. She may need to abandon Harry eventually in the interest of self-preservation,” Dumbledore answered.

–If she does leave, the other two are doomed. With her gone, who will do the thinking for them?” Snape said with a smile.

–I think you underestimate Harry and Ronald,” replied the Headmaster.

–No, Dumbledore! You always overestimate them. Potter is weak willed, and Weasley is even weaker minded. If left alone, they will be a massacre waiting to happen,” Snape predicted.

–If you say so, Severus. It is even possible that Miss Weasley might join the trio also and make it a foursome.”

–Ah, the little romance! Has ‘The Chosen One’ finally noticed her constantly throwing herself at his feet?”

–You are out of touch, Severus. Lately, Ginny Weasley has been playing, I believe they call it, the waiting game with Harry. The attraction is natural.”

The assertion caught him by surprise. –How?”

–Miss Weasley is a fiercely independent soul. She like Lily has the ability to see the hidden positive attributes in those that others barely notice: Master Longbottom and Miss Lovegood. And physically, she looks near enough like Lily to perhaps remind him on some deep level of his mother.”

–She is nothing like Lily Evans? Weasley is a plain, little tomboy lost in foolish romantic dreams of landing ‘The Great Harry Potter’ and living happily ever after.”

At that comment, Dumbledore just shook his head in resignation. He took a deep breath and changed the subject. –When we return, I will send my Patronus to you here. When it arrives, I need you to join us in my office.”

As he turned away from the desk, a tremor ran through the old Headmaster’s entire body, and his good hand quickly reached to grab the corner of the desk to steady himself.

–Are you all right, Headmaster?” he asked of Dumbledore.

–Of course not, Severus, as we both know,” Dumbledore said. After a few deep breaths to re-balance and when he felt steady enough, Albus Dumbledore left to meet with Harry Potter.


He made a list in his head of the possible methods of destroying a Horcrux: Fiendfyre, Basilisk’s venom, Dementor’s Kiss, Acromantula venom. Which one?

–Dementor’s Kiss? No. Fiendfyre? He had an image of Potter and Weasley running around in circles after losing control of the spell and setting Number Twelve Grimmauld Place on fire. No.”

So that leaves only the options of the two venoms to destroy the Horcruxes. I have a few small vials of each, but what if it is not enough?

He walked into the cupboard, moved the sliding staircase to the poisons and checked the shelves of his potion supplies. He had been correct. He had three Acromantula and only one Basilisk vials. So the spider’s poison it was to be. Also, with the help of Hagrid, Harry could lay in a large stock of the poison from the denizens of Forbidden Forest. He pocketed the sample from the Giant Spider and returned to his office.

He looked at the clock on his office wall and saw that it was later than he expected. Had Dumbledore failed in trying to retrieve whatever he had been looking? What if the attempt been fatal? What if it was? Would Potter believe him if he offered to teach him to destroy Horcruxes? The answer was obvious, no. Potter would rather wallow in his ignorance than accept help from me. He is so much like his father!

He turned at the sound of something coming down the stairs. He could hear steps coming closer toward his office. They were not the heavy footfalls of an adult. Had Dumbledore sent Potter down to fetch him? If not Potter, who would it be? Reaching into the sleeve of his robe, he pulled his wand from its holster and attempted to palm it so it would not be obvious to the intruder until it was too late.

He stood and with a wave of his wand the books moved to his desk chair and out of sight. The office popped door opened and in stepped an out-of-breath Flitwick.

–Severus, come quickly with me up to the tower. There are Death Eaters in Hogwarts.”

He could feel the rush of blood to his face as he fought off the shock and regained his normal composure. His mind raced through the permutations of Flitwick’s news. –If there are Death Eaters in the school, Draco was successful with his assignment and he is in danger. If he is in danger and if things go wrong, my life could be forfeited. Damn that Unbreakable Vow!”

He faced Flitwick and said, –If they are in the school there is only one thing for me to do.”

He showed his wand to his colleague. The diminutive man smiled and nodded in approval. The smile was still on his face when his Stunning Spell struck him, and the tiny man slammed into the stone wall and crumpled to the office floor.