Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Sisters of the Noble House of Black by The Ravenclaw Sheerio

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Bellatrix

I am my parents' child. I will respect their wishes. They are also my own. I must be proud of my blood purity. I am a true witch. And there are things true witches should and shouldn't do, to bring honor to their families and themselves.


A pure-blood witch should marry a pure-blood wizard, for the purity of their children and their standing in the Wizarding World.


She should show her superiority and never ally a Muggle, Squib, or Muggleborn. They have no place amongst our people. As for those who do ally such people... she will not go near those, either.


And, finally, no matter who stands in your way or disagrees with you... you must follow these rules and stay clear of them. You are right. They are wrong.
Nothing can break these rules. Not even love.



Andromeda



I am terribly afraid that my older sister and parents are lunatics. I hope they don't make Narcissa a lunatic, too, though they seem to be training her in the craft. They treat blood purity like it's the most important thing in the world, and, to them, I suppose it is.


My little cousin Sirius and I used to talk about this before I went off to Hogwarts. To be so young, he is a smart boy. I think that our values are going to be the same, and I really hope that his parents don't try to change them. I doubt they will be able to, though. His willpower is strong, and his loyalty stronger.


Once in her third year, Bellatrix sent a letter home. Sirius and I stole it and took it up to my bedroom to read and poke fun at it. I remember that Narcissa was only seven years old, a few mere years older than innocent little Sirius, who had just lost his first baby tooth, and my parents were already lecturing her on the importance of not mixing wizarding and Muggle blood. I knew I had to leave the room to avoid hearing their cruel words, said to such a young child about something she knew virtually nothing about. It made me feel sick to my stomach, even then.

I snatched the letter from it's place on the kitchen table, probably displayed proudly to various visitors. My parents have always had a soft spot for Bellatrix because of the unchangable views she had about Muggles, whereas I still got disdainful glares even when I tidied up the dirty house so my mother wouldn't have to. I was always cleaning, trying to squeeze a smile out from one of them, though it never worked. By then, the habit was instilled in me. I was like a house elf, working constantly to clean up my other family member's messes. It was tiring, but the mess always got the better of me.


When I got up to my bedroom with the letter, I discovered that it was just as amusingly serious as I would have expected from my sister, who was chronically businesslike, even when discussing the smallest of matters.

'Dear, Mum, Dad, Andromeda, and Cissy,

Everything is fine here at Hogwarts. Slytherin beat those Gryffindor idiots at the Quidditch match Wednesday. They deserved it, living harmoniously with almost everyone except for us, when it's we who have the right idea about what should be valued. I really wish that Hogwarts was made an all Pureblood school when Salazar was around. It would have emptied out most of the idiots who end up here.

I met a boy named Rodolphus Lestrange. He comes from a wealthy Pureblood family; you would like him. He asked me to walk with him after dinner this weekend, and I accepted. He seems to be a likeminded person. We might even be married one day!

Hope you are all well-Bellatrix'



I laughed and read it aloud to Sirius. "You hear that, Sirius? She has herself a rich little pure-blood boyfriend, and thinks they're going to end up married! I couldn't see Bellatrix as a bride, could you?"

He mulled this over for a second, then shook his head, his black curls bouncing. "Brides are supposed to be beautiful. Bellatrix is sort of scary."

I laughed. Things were silent for a second. Sirius looked up at the ceiling, appearing to be thinking.

"That wasn't very nice, what she said about those Gryffindors,'' he said finally.

I frowned. "Sometimes Bellatrix isn't very nice. She just takes things too seriously, sometimes."

He nodded. His gray eyes gleamed with an idea. "When I go to Hogwarts, I want to be a Gryffindor," he said.

I smiled. "I'm sure you will be. You can be anything you want to be, Sirius. It doesn't matter what other people think of you. I'm just learning that myself," I said.

I saw his eyes glimmer again, this time, I think, with admiration. Of me. It felt good to have that when no one had ever given it to me.

Narcissa

I felt my stomach turn as the scarlet train rolled in. My father had one hand on my shoulder, reassuring, and the other holding Bella's suitcase. Mum had mine, and Andromeda had to hold her own. I felt a little bit sorry for her. Mum and Dad had always treated Bella and I a little bit better than Andromeda for some reason, as if she were always doing something horribly wrong. I never quite understood it. She was the one who was constantly doing the housework, after all.


I turned around nervously as the other children got on the train, waiting for my turn. I saw my reflection in a nearby mirror. I stared at my blonde hair and blue eyes, so different than Bella and Andromeda, with their dark hair and eyes. I always felt like the odd one out, not particularly like either of them, yet similar to both in the certain way that siblings often are.


I looked at Bella and Andromeda. They were different, too, but not in looks. Even though they could be twins if it weren't for the caramel-like color of Andromeda's hair, they were very different in personality. Bella was dark and serious, Andromeda kind and a bit nervous all of the time. I was neither. I was just... Narcissa.


I felt Andromeda nudge me with her foot. Bella was boarding the train already.


"Come on, Narcissa," she said, "time to go."

Time to go. Time to join my sisters in all of the things they were doing.
Chapter Endnotes: I hope you've enjoyed the first chapter! There is more to come, and reviews are welcome!