Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Seer Named Rosemary Snape by PlutoLovegood

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Rosie was thankful that her first Apparation with Sparkles was over with quickly, because when her feet first touched the cobblestones of Diagon Alley, she didn’t feel well at all. She was glad that she hadn’t eaten any breakfast, because she certainly would have lost it.

–Rosie Love, are you okay? I’m here with you. Don’t move too quickly, dear. Take a couple of deep breaths.”

Rosie realized that she was clutching Sparkles’ tiny but long-fingered hand with a death grip. –O my, thanks,” she said, and breathed deeply, following Sparkles’ directions. –I’m so sorry. I must be crushing your hand.”

Sparkles gently placed her other hand on top of Rosie’s and gently rubbed it. –No need to apologize, Rosie. I’m an elf, and that means that I’m not so easily crushed. Go ahead and hold on as long as you need to, and when you’re ready, slowly straighten yourself up.”

The disorienting fog that filled Rosie’s head steadily dissipated, and she drew her gaze up from the cobblestones beneath her. Fantastic sounds and smells filled her consciousness, even as her eyes focused on the amazing sights that filled the street. Wizards and witches of all ages, races, and manners of dress were walking about, along with a few elves and one or two other species that Rosie did not recognize. Up and down the street were shops, cafés, and boutiques of all manner of description, but her eyes were immediately drawn to one immediately across the street from her. Over the door and front windows were painted the words WISEACRE’S WIZARDING EQUIPMENT, and Rosie’s attention was captured by the beautiful antique-looking telescopes and other scientific instruments on display. One circular device in particular drew her attention.

Rosie completely forgot that she had felt ill moments ago, and loosened her grip on Sparkles’ hand. –O, look, Sparkles! What a beautiful silver astrolabe! May I go look?”

Sparkles smiled. –Of course, Rosie, you may look all you want. It’s your birthday, after all! Of course we’ll be stopping back here again to pick up a few of your school supplies after we’ve been to Gringotts. But it won’t hurt to take a look right now.”

–I’ll be only a moment, Sparkles,” Rosie replied. But she took far longer than a moment. Rosie hesitated for a moment at the door of Wiseacre’s, then stepped inside, with Sparkles following close behind. She felt like she had walked into a museum, with all the finely crafted telescopes, globes, charts, phials, and scales which were for sale. She wandered towards a section with many sextants, sundials, and a large armillary sphere, and finally found her way to the polished silver astrolabe which had first caught her eye. –Look, Sparkles, isn’t this marvelous? I have a paperboard astrolabe which Grampy ordered for me online, but it’s nothing like this one. It’s beautiful.”

–Well, you learn something new every day,” laughed Sparkles. –I don’t think I’ve ever even known what these things were called. So you know how to use it, Love?”

–Yes! Astrolabes are very ingenious inventions. They were first used centuries ago for taking precise sightings of stars and planets, and making all manner of astronomical calculations. If I sound like I’m reading a school report, maybe it’s because I am. I wrote a paper on the astrolabe for school, and gave a demonstration in class with my paperboard astrolabe. Oh, I would love to try out this lovely silver one, but I know I mustn’t touch it. I imagine it’s frightfully expensive.”

Rosie was startled by a voice from behind. –Go ahead and try it out, Miss Snape. I’m pleased that you already know how to use it, and I would like to see you demonstrate your skills.”

Rosie turned around and saw directly behind her a witch with dark skin, grey hair, and a pointed black witch’s hat with pictures of stars, planets, and nebulae all around it. –Why, … thank you,” Rosie stammered. –A pleasure to meet you, … may I ask … –

–Of course you may ask my name,” the witch replied. –My name is Aurora Sinistra. I’m Professor of Astronomy at Hogwarts, and have been for many years. It has been a long twenty years since the last time a Snape visited Diagon Alley. I speak, of course, of your great uncle Severus Snape. He was a most esteemed colleague of mine. Welcome to Diagon Alley, Rosemary Snape! Now, feel free to step outside the door and try a sighting. You’ll find this astrolabe does a bit more than your paperboard Muggle astrolabe. Don’t worry, the shopkeepers know that I’m supervising.”

Rosie saw Professor Sinistra nod to a shopkeeper, and smiled. –Thank you very much, Professor.” Rosie gingerly picked up the astrolabe and turned to Sparkles, who was beaming back at her. They followed Professor Sinistra out the shop door, and Rosie stood, wondering what else she could possibly sight with the astrolabe, other than the blinding Sun.

Professor Sinistra spoke, –Now, Rosemary, whilst holding the astrolabe, speak these words: ‘Umbra solis, Adclara Mercurium!’”

After politely asking Professor Sinistra to repeat the incantation, Rosie spoke the words, and immediately noticed that to her vision the brightness of the Sun was now gently shaded by what looked like a fuzzy dark circle in the sky. Then she noticed that she could clearly see a star-like dot to the left of the Sun, and realized it was the planet Mercury. She could also see Regulus, Orion’s belt, and other prominent stars, shining faintly yet clearly in the clear blue sky. She excitedly held the astrolabe up and aligned it with the planet, and found that when it was aligned, Mercury appeared to grow from a dot of light to a thin crescent. –Wow! I can see the planet’s phase, as it’s nearing its closest approach to Earth during inferior conjunction. Oh, I do hope to have one like this one someday.”

–Indeed! It would appear that on the Muggle level you’ve already reached the Seventh Year of Astronomy. But don’t let it go to your head, as there’s a whole magical dimension which you must now learn from the beginning level.”

–I understand, Professor Sinistra. Thank you oh so much! I promise I will study very hard!”

Rosie was again startled by an unfamiliar voice, this one the voice of a man who spoke with a commanding tone. –If you would like the astrolabe, it’s yours, Miss Snape.”

Rosie was starting to feel like a celebrity. Did everyone in this magical place know her by name? She felt a bit afraid to turn around to see who was speaking to her now. The imperious tone of his voice was unsettling, and his generosity struck her as being too good to be true. She turned around and saw a regal-looking wizard with a black robe and a walking stick, and long white hair. The most startling thing, though, was that he looked exactly like photos Rosie had seen of Grampy Nick, only with a much more serious look on his face. Standing next to him was a witch, also with white hair, wearing a stylish black coat and pillbox hat. Rosie noticed that, though Sparkles remained confident as always, she seemed to get a bit more serious when this couple appeared, and something in the atmosphere seemed slightly more tense and prickly. She also noticed that the witch nervously glanced, more than once, at the tattoo of Dobby on Sparkles’ arm.

For a moment all were silent, then the witch cleared her throat and spoke up. –Miss Snape, allow us to introduce ourselves. This is my husband Lucius, and I am Narcissa Malfoy. Hello, Sparkles.”

–Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy” Sparkles replied, seeming a bit more relaxed. –Your welcome and your generosity are much appreciated. I’m sure – –

–Speak no more of it,” Lucius interjected sternly. –Let it not be said that any heir of any Malfoy would receive less than the very best. I’m sure the two of you will be visiting Gringotts today, if you haven’t already. Be it known that whatever your ancestor Nicodemus has left you, you needn’t spend it anytime soon.” He paused for a moment, then continued. –Everything you need for school, plus a thing or two you want, will all be covered, by us. Consider it our way of saying, welcome to the world of magic.”

–Why, thank you, Mr. Malfoy!” Rosie replied, with a brightening smile. She still felt a bit unsettled and suspicious, but she felt like a princess being treated so kindly. She tried to come up with something else to say, but felt speechless, and apparently the Malfoys had nothing more to say as well, as Lucius Malfoy simply gave her a curt nod before turning and walking away down the street. Narcissa gave a polite smile and followed Lucius.

Rosie looked back at Sparkles, who gave Rosie an enigmatic smile, and nodded in the direction of the shop door. They walked back in, and Rosie smiled at Professor Sinistra, who had stepped back into the store during the conversation with the Malfoys. Now that Rosie knew she could go ahead and purchase her school items right away, she was soon examining one of the handsome brass telescopes required for First Year Astronomy.

Once again Rosie heard a stranger call her by name, this time a boy who was rummaging through stacks of phials and other laboratory supplies. He looked not much older than she, and with hair the same blond shade as hers. –Hello! Are you Rosemary Snape?”

–Why, yes! Seems that everyone here knows who I am!”

–You shouldn’t be surprised. Being both a Snape and a Malfoy makes you extra special, at least in my opinion. I’m Scorpius Malfoy. I’ll be beginning my Second Year. Pleased to meet you.”

–Why, pleased to meet you, too! I’m guessing you’re related to Mr. Lucius and Mrs. Narcissa? Did I get their names right?”

–Yes, you did. I hope Grandfather and Grandmother didn’t scare you too much. They’re still used to the old ways, when Muggle-borns like you were not as well-regarded by some people.”

–Well,” Rosie replied, mildly chagrined but hopeful, –it seems like they’re trying very hard to be friendly, and I appreciate that. So, Scorpius, what subject do you like the best at Hogwarts?”

Rosie’s question proved a great conversation starter, as Scorpius loved Herbology, and when he learned that Rosie had already met Professor Longbottom, he was very proud to point out that he had helped prepare several batches of Professor Longbottom’s All-Purpose Blend. Rosie asked Scorpius many questions about his first year at Hogwarts, and presently noticed that Sparkles was now standing nearby with a different couple; a blond wizard dressed in a dapper dark suit, and a dark-haired witch wearing a simple but tasteful black dress. The three were all smiling at Rosie and Scorpius.

The witch spoke up. –Well, it seems that the cousins are hitting it off well. We’re Scorpius’ parents, Astoria and Draco Malfoy. Welcome to Diagon Alley!”

–Very pleased to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy. To tell you the truth, I’ve never had any cousins before, at least none that I had ever met. It’s a bit like having a friend, only with the same colour of hair!”

Everyone laughed, and Scorpius, who never hesitated to speak his mind, looked at Rosie and said. –I notice along with the blonde hair you have a lock of red, and one green and one blue eye. Are you a Chimaera?”

–Why, yes,” Rosie said, somewhat startled. –You must be a biologist indeed, Scorpius! My friend Dr. Sapoora arranged for some genetic tests to confirm it. Yes, my lock of red hair and my green left eye came from a twin sister who vanished into the rest of me before I was born. Not that I’m two people, because I’m simply one girl. I don’t know how to put it into words, but the two parts of me are definitely different, and my green left eye sees things differently than my blue right eye. The blonde hair and blue eye come from my Dad, and the red hair and green eye come from my Mum.”

–Interesting …” Sparkles replied, and asked, –On your Mum’s side you’ve never heard of anyone in the family tree named either Evans or Weasley, have you?”

Rosie narrowed her brow, making a serious effort to find an answer to Sparkles’ question. –No, I’m sorry, but I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of any kin with either of those names. Mother’s name was Ashley McKinley.”

–No need to apologize. I simply thought I’d ask. Those are two surnames of wizards and witches noted for their red hair. Your grandfather showed me a photo of your mother, and she was a lovely girl indeed. Anyway, Rosie, we’ll be off to our next destination, but speaking of the Weasleys, how about if we meet up with the Malfoys again later on at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes? How does three o’clock sound?”

–That sounds like a capital idea” interjected Draco, and the Malfoys went their way after purchasing Scorpius’ new supplies. Rosie looked again at her silver astrolabe and brass telescope and said, –Wow! This is just … so … incredible!” She carried them to the shopkeeper, and said –Sir, I’ve been told that I’m welcome to have these items charged … to the account of – –

The shopkeeper broke in. –Yes, of course, Miss Snape. Senior Mr. Malfoy already arranged that with me. Overstated his point, if you ask me. Nothing against you, Miss, because we’re truly pleased to serve you anytime. But Mr. Malfoy glared at me and said, ‘Don’t you forget that Miss Snape is to have nothing but the best, and if you can’t deliver, remember that I have friends on Knockturn Alley who can.’ Not that he hasn’t said such a thing many times before. Very predictable, Lucius Malfoy can be. Here you go, Miss Snape. Enjoy these fine instruments, and if you ever have any problem with them, don’t hesitate to come back, and we will take care of it for you. Thanks so much for shopping at Wiseacre’s!”

–Thank you so much, Mr. Wiseacre” Rosie replied with a sweet smile, and Sparkles snickered under her breath. Rosie wondered after she said it if that were really his name, but he offered no correction, so she smiled again as she put her new supplies in her bag. After she and Sparkles had stepped back out onto the street, Rosie asked, –Sparkles, where is Knockturn Alley, and what is it all about?”

–It’s another street not far from here. It’s like Diagon Alley in many ways, but also different. Someday you may have occasion to go there, but I would not recommend it at all until you’re older and have learned many of your lessons. The shops there offer many items with strong and dangerous magical properties. People who are interested in the Dark Arts go there. Going there isn’t necessarily bad in and of itself, but it’s rather dangerous.”

–I understand, Sparkles” Rosie replied. It was only her third day of knowing she was a witch, and she already knew that there was a dangerous and frightening side to the magical world. Furthermore, she really, truly meant it when she said she hoped she was a good witch, and not a bad witch.

Yet, deep down, there was something compelling about the words –Dark Arts” which tugged at her. Something dark and mysterious deep inside her soul wanted to visit Knockturn Alley very much. She hoped that Sparkles wasn’t somehow aware of what she was thinking or feeling, but when she looked up again, Sparkles was looking at her with a kind and motherly smile which made Rosie feel very safe and secure, and for the time being Rosie forgot all about Knockturn Alley.

Since the Malfoys were covering all Rosie’s school purchases, Sparkles suggested that, rather than going straight to Gringotts, they might go to Ollivanders to choose her wand. Rosie thought that sounded like a splendid idea, so off they went. Rosie’s eyes took in as much as they could of the shops along the way, and she thought the Eeylops Owl Emporium looked especially delightful. She said, –Sparkles, I’ve been thinking that it would be lovely to have an owl, but I do love my canary, Mrs Chirpsworth. I will miss her very much.”

Sparkles replied, –I’ve been thinking about that, too. I think Mrs. Chirpsworth would be dreadfully put out if she were left behind. But, maybe she doesn’t have to be. There’s such a type of magic as Transfiguration. Do you think that Mrs. Chirpsworth would mind being turned into an owl?”

–Oh, my” Rosie replied. –If it helped her to be able to come along, I think she would like it very much. Could she be changed back?”

–Of course she could, Rosie.”

–But … what if she doesn’t like being brown like an owl? She’s very proud of her bright yellow feathers.”

Sparkles laughed. –Well, who says she can’t be the first canary-yellow owl? Either you’re a very imaginative child, or else you can understand her chirps, which isn’t impossible at all.”

Rosie beamed, and was about to reply, but they had turned the corner, and she caught sight of Ollivanders Wand Shop. Something about the thought of owning a real magic wand struck her with a sense of awe. As they were arriving at the shop, she realized that once again someone was looking at her with recognition, only this time they weren’t sneaking up on her from behind. A woman with reddish hair stood with a group of children, some with red and some with dark hair.

Sparkles spoke. –Hello, Gorgeous! I had a feeling we might run into the lot of you. Rosie, you remember Mr. Potter. This is his gorgeous wife, Mrs. Ginny Potter, and her children, and their cousins.” She nodded towards Rosie. –And this, of course, is our new friend Miss Rosemary Snape.”

Ginny was laughing. Part of her truce with Sparkles was that Sparkles could continue to call Harry –Handsome” just as long as she also called Ginny –Gorgeous,” and Sparkles enjoyed laying it on very thickly, every chance she got.

–Why, thank you for noticing my ravishing beauty, Sparkles!” Ginny replied, which was how she always replied to Sparkles. –Rosemary, we’ve looked forward very much to meeting you. These are my sons James and Albus, and daughter Lily. And these are their cousins Rose and Hugo Weasley.”

–Weasley, as in Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes?” asked Rosie.

–Yes, that’s right! It’s the family business, and I think you’ll enjoy it very much. My brothers George and Ron Weasley work there, and Ron is Rose and Hugo’s father. You and Rose have something in common, as we often call her Rosie, and we understand you’re called Rosie as well.”

–Oh, dear,” Rosie replied, –and my middle name is Lily, too! You may keep on calling me Rosemary, if it helps to avoid confusion.”

–Don’t worry about that,” Ginny laughed, –you’re not in the same year, anyway. Rose and Albus are beginning their Second Year, and Lily and Hugo will be starting next year. James is beginning his Fourth Year.”

Lily Potter stamped her foot and said, –I’ve been looking forward to Hogwarts for so long. I can hardly wait any longer!”

Rosie smiled at Lily and said, –Oh, my, that must be frustrating! And I’ve only known about Hogwarts for two days and I’m already getting ready to go. I’m so sorry!” As Rosie looked at Lily’s red hair and green eyes, she realized why Sparkles had wondered if she might be related to anyone named Weasley or Evans.

Lily replied, –Oh, don’t be sorry. That’s very nice of you to say. Lovely to meet you, Rosemary!”

Albus Potter spoke up. –Is it really true that Severus Snape is your great uncle?”

–Yes, he is, and I’m very proud of that, because it sounds like he was a very important person. I regret not getting to meet him.”

Rose spoke up next, and asked –Did you know that you met our grandmother once?”

–Oh, really?” Rosie replied, puzzled. –How did that come about? Did I meet a witch and didn’t know it?”

–Actually, our Grandmother Granger isn’t a witch. She’s a Muggle, and she and Grandfather are dentists.”

Rosie’s jaw dropped in recognition. –Yes, I remember Mrs. Granger! She was my favourite dentist ever! She was so nice, and nothing she did ever hurt. I wished I could have gone back to her the next time, but she was gone! How did she happen to be my dentist, and how do you know about that?”

–Well,” Ginny replied, –Ever since you were born, witches and wizards have been watching out for you, on account of your relation to Professor Snape. When we found out that the Muggle Health Service had your file all bolloxed up, Mrs. Granger offered to do your dental work for free so your grandfather wouldn’t have to pay for it out of his pocket. By the way, you’ve seen what Rose and Hugo’s Mum looks like, because that’s her in the tattoo on Sparkles’ right arm. Her name is Hermione, and she’s a very brilliant and kind witch.”

–Wow!” Rosie said as she turned and gazed at Sparkles’ tattoo. –It seems as if everyone’s connected somehow here, and I’ve been living in a fishbowl even before I knew about this place, and about magic, and about Hogwarts.”

Sparkles said, –Yes, Rosie Love, that’s more true than you even know. Well, we must get on to Ollivanders, as Rosie is about to choose her first wand. Maybe we’ll catch you again later on today!”

–Very pleased to meet you all!” Rosie said to Ginny and the children. They all said –Goodbye” back to her, and Rosie noticed that Lily had let out a sigh when Sparkles mentioned about Ollivanders.

–Oh, Sparkles, I do feel sorry for Lily. I wish I could do something to help make it easier for her to wait one more year. The same for Hugo, too, but I can tell it’s the hardest for Lily.”

–That’s very kind of you, Rosie. It already helps that you’re willing to be her friend. Speaking of Lily, look who’s coming!”

Rosie looked back, and saw that Ginny and her daughter Lily were running to catch up with them, whilst the others went onward, led by James, the oldest, who appeared to be leading them to a Quidditch supply shop. Ginny spoke up and said –Would you mind if Lily and I tagged along with you to Ollivanders? She would enjoy seeing you picking out your wand.”

–Of course,” Rosie said. –I’d enjoy it too! To tell you the truth, I think having a friend along would help me feel less nervous.”

Lily beamed back at Rosie, and the group arrived at Ollivanders. Rosie felt even more hushed as they stepped into the tiny, dusty shop and her eyes took in the stacks of wand boxes, which went almost up to the ceiling. Soon a woman came and met them, who had thick glasses and a wand stuck in her hair bun.

–Hello, Sparkles. Hello, Miss Snape. We’ve been expecting you. I’m Young Mrs. Ollivander.”

–Hello, Mrs. Ollivander” answered Rosie, who wondered what she meant by –we,” as there didn’t look to be much room for anyone else besides the five of them. She didn’t look altogether young to Rosie either. Rosie was beginning not to be surprised when people already knew who she was.

–Your bill will be covered by Senior Mr. Malfoy, of course.” Rosie nodded, and Mrs. Ollivander gazed closely at Rosie for a few moments, just long and closely enough to make Rosie feel uncomfortable about it. Then she said, –Interesting …” and pivoted on her heel, reaching for a box close to the top of a stack almost exactly to her left.

–What do you find interesting, Mrs. Ollivander?” Rosie replied. The intense look and even the thick glasses made Rosie wonder if by chance Mrs. Ollivander was also a Seer, or perhaps a Legilimens.

–Very good question, Miss Snape. The answer is, no, I’m not a Seer, but yes, I’m a Legilimens. Don’t worry. I never look at anyone’s thoughts without letting them know, and I keep strictly to that which pertains to the business at hand. Here. Try this one!”

Rosie wasn’t sure that Mrs. Ollivander’s reassurance was very reassuring, but she was too interested in the wand to be very concerned. It was gently tapered, and had interesting symmetrical designs carved into it. She took hold of the larger end, and immediately could tell it was the wrong wand, though not far off.

–This is … amazing,” Rosie said. –I get an interesting, strangely calm feeling when I hold it, but … I feel cross-eyed. I don’t know what else to say except that something about this wand is working at cross-purposes with my eyes.”

–All right then,” Mrs. Ollivander replied. –Let’s see … ah, here’s the other one.” She found another box two stacks to the left and a bit further down. The wand looked nearly identical, but with a different carved design.

Rosie picked it up, and immediately felt a calm, cool, spacious feeling, and this time didn’t feel cross-eyed. Instead, she noticed an almost unreal clarity of her vision. –I think this is the right one, Mrs. Ollivander. It gives me much the same feeling as when I first picked up my new astrolabe.” Rosie squinted, captivated by a compelling thought. –This wand has some connection to Mr. Potter’s mother, doesn’t it? This may sound silly, but I think this one pertains to Lily.” Rosie smiled, realizing that she had just uttered a small prophecy.

–Yes, that’s right. This wand and the other one are amongst a very few left that were made from the same willow tree that gave the wood for Lily Evans Potter’s. But they have different cores, which is very interesting. I should have known. This wand and one other one both have as their cores unicorn hairs, which came from the same unicorn as a certain wand which belonged to Narcissa Malfoy, and later to her son Draco, and which even was used for a time by Harry Potter.”

–That’s very interesting, Mrs. Ollivander,” Rosie said, smiling. –How do you keep track of all these wands? Every one is different!”

–My father-in-law, Garrick Ollivander, made most of the wands for sale here. He knew everything about every one of them, but when he became too weak to mind the store, he granted me his memories concerning the wands by means of a magical device called a Pensieve. Thus, I know everything he knows about these wands.”

Sparkles asked, –How many wands were made from the same willow tree and from unicorn hairs?”

–A great many from that willow tree, but only a few with unicorn hairs. Just two others were made with cores from the same unicorn as this one, and one of them was sold five years ago to a wand collector from Denmark named Steinar Poffelhof.”

Sparkles raised an eyebrow. The name Poffelhof sounded to her like a take-off on –Hufflepuff,” and that aroused her suspicion. –What can you tell me about Steinar Poffelhof?”

–Nobody knows much about him at all. He seems to travel the world, and appears in Diagon Alley only once or twice per decade, at unpredictable intervals. He’s about the same size and build as was Professor Snape, but with blond hair and a beard. He wears a plain white outfit designed much like a Durmstrang uniform.”

–Do you still have the other willow wand made with a hair from the same unicorn?” Sparkles asked.

–I knew you would ask that,” Mrs. Ollivander replied, and turned back to select a wand box from the same stack as the first one she had brought out, the one that made Rosie feel cross-eyed. Mrs. Ollivander set the box on a table and opened it up to reveal the wand, which looked much the same as the other two, but with yet another carved design.

Lily Potter had been watching and listening with rapt attention, and spoke up. –That’s a lovely wand. I hope it’s still here next year so I can try it out.”

When Rosie heard Lily speak, she was hit with a sudden feeling of dread that seemed to come out of nowhere. She didn’t know why, but the thought of her new friend Lily trying out that particular wand filled her with horror. She opened her mouth, feeling unable to speak, yet words came out of her mouth:

I’m not saying this to be silly. This wand is dangerous to, and through, Lily.

Rosie was still holding her own new wand which she had selected, or rather, which had selected her. A feeling of unreal clarity and sudden determination came upon her, and she aimed her wand at the wand in the box. A bolt of brilliant turquoise-blue lightning shot out of Rosie’s wand, and in a flash the other wand was burnt to a crisp, box and all. Everyone was shocked, especially Rosie herself. As the smoke cleared, they saw that the wand, besides being burnt, was broken at two spots, making a shape like an S, or rather, like a backwards Z. Sparkles stepped up to the table and looked carefully at the broken, charred wand, then looked gravely at the others.


–This shape,” Sparkles said, –is exactly the shape of the Scar-Maker’s mark, the scar burnt into the necks of her victims.” She turned to Rosie, and asked, –How did you know?”

Rosie was speechless for a moment, then replied, –All I know is that the thought of Lily picking up that wand struck me with terror. I saw a horrid thing happening in my mind.” She turned to Ginny and said, –Mrs. Potter, something like that happened to you, didn’t it? It was the Dark Lord’s diary. It made you do something terrible without you knowing it.”

Ginny Potter, who at that point was hugging Lily closely to her, was silent for a moment, then said, –Why, yes. That’s exactly the case. This has been a bit of a shock, but we believe you, Rosie. And I need to say thank you for doing what you just did.” Ginny turned to Mrs. Ollivander and asked, "Mrs. Ollivander, when Steinar Poffelhof was here, did he try this wand out?"

Mrs. Ollivander replied, "Yes, I believe so. He spend much time examining many wands, especially all the ones made from this particular willow tree. He spent much of the day here, and as he's an expert on wandlore in his own right, I didn't supervise him the whole time. Now I regret that. It appears he may have tampered with that wand."

Mrs. Ollivander then turned to Rosie with a grave but thoughtful expression on her face. –I don’t know what to say, Miss Snape,” she said, –as this is highly irregular. It’s not often that customers have deliberately destroyed merchandise whilst visiting Ollivanders, and I would be contacting the authorities, if it were not that you’re already accompanied by a Senior Auror. I have no choice but to trust that you knew what you were doing, and that you will be very careful in the use of your new wand and follow your teachers’ instructions exactly. As for the wand which has been destroyed …”

Rosie broke in. –Oh, I’m dreadfully sorry, Mrs. Ollivander. I know I must pay for the wand. I can’t make Mr. Malfoy pay for it. I promise I’ll bring you the money after I’ve visited Gringotts.”

Ginny spoke up. –That won’t be necessary. You’ve done us a great favour, Rosie. I’ll pay for it. It’s only seven Galleons.” She found the money in her bag and gave it to Mrs. Ollivander, who seemed satisfied.

As the four took their leave of Ollivanders, Rosie spoke to Lily. –I’m really glad you came along, Lily. I’m sorry if that was a bigger adventure than we thought it would be.”

–Don’t worry. At first I was a bit scared, but I think that was really wicked what you did! I’m glad I saw it, Rosie! Thanks for letting me come. Now I really can’t wait to get my own! But I hope, just the same, that when I do it will be less dramatic!”

Ginny and Lily parted ways with Sparkles and Rosie. As Sparkles started leading the way to Gringotts, Rosie asked, –I’m not going to get in trouble for that, am I?”

–No, of course not!” said Sparkles. –There will have to be an incident report, but we can take care of that later.”

As they continued to walk along, Rosie noticed that Sparkles seemed quieter than usual. –Is everything all right, Sparkles?” she asked.

Sparkles smiled at Rosie and beckoned towards a nearby sitting bench. They sat down facing one another knee to knee, and Sparkles said, –Yes, everything’s all right. Let me tell you something, Rosie.” She paused, and said –When you pointed your wand at the other wand, there was something about your posture, and how you moved your wand arm, and the determined look on your face, that reminded me of someone I once knew, someone who meant very much to me, and to many others. I’m speaking of your great uncle, Severus Snape.”

–You mean, you knew my Uncle Severus?”

–Yes I did. When I was a kitchen-elf at Hogwarts, I was given a special task, because I was the best at Apparating whilst carrying a full tea set, without dropping anything. During the year that Professor Snape was Headmaster, it was my task to bring tea to his office.”

–Oh, Sparkles, would you please tell me more?”

–Of course. You promise not to tell anyone?”

–What about Grampy?”

–Oh, actually, I’ve already told him some things about it.”

Rosie smiled. –Okay, I promise.”

Sparkles straightened herself up, smiled, and said –This is one of my favourite stories. I like to call it ‘The Elf-girl and the Headmaster.’”

Rosie’s face reddened slightly. –Is this a proper story for an eleven-year-old girl?”

Sparkles gently prodded Rosie’s shoulder and laughed. –Oh, you naughty, naughty girl! It was absolutely nothing like what you’re thinking. Besides, I was underage, and his personal ethics were impeccable.” Sparkles paused, smiling mischievously. –Of course, I admit that in those days I imagined a bit more than what actually happened. Professor Snape was quite a dish. So handsome, so dark and mysterious, so lonely. If he had ever asked if he could please have me as a crumpet with his tea, I would have been rather cooperative.”

Sparkles paused again as Rosie’s face turned beet-red. –But please forgive me for getting sidetracked. This is too much fun making you blush, but to be honest, there’s much more to this story than a young elf-girl’s fancy. Professor Snape changed my life, Rosie Love. I am what I am today because of him.”

Sparkles paused once more as Rosie looked at her with an expression of wonder. –Well, then, let us begin. Once upon a time, not so very long ago, in Hogwarts Castle, lived a young elf-girl named Sparkles …”
Chapter Endnotes: The next chapter will be entitled "The Elf-girl and the Headmaster."